WWE (SPOILERS) (2 Viewers)

CA_Gas Bag

They'll take on all comers
No matter what size
There won't be any questions when you get
Steinerized*

*Thrown around at least fifty times and hit with a Steiner Screwdriver. Multiplied by five if you sing this chorus to the former Shoney's owner.

Thamob

ISYMFS
Damn Butch Reed Rest in peace. He was one of the first black wrestlers I had ever seen. Pretty cool as a black kid growing up n all white areas. Whenever we played wrestling as a kid I was him.

Last edited:

Fedorlei Gomipierre

The IQ Poster
Site Donor
Damn Butch Reed Rest in peace. He was one of the first black wrestlers I had ever seen. Pretty cool as a black kid growing up n all white areas. Whenever we played wrestling as a kid I was him.
I was a huge fan of Butch, he was the exact kind of badass hoss I gravitated towards as a kid. When I first started reading the Observer, Dave continuously put his early stuff over(think Reed/Flair was the first five star Dave ever gave) and seeking out his Mid-South run before the road took away alot of his spirit and drive, is pretty great. I met him at a few conventions, he was a super chill cowboy who was still thick as fuck. Similar to Meng in disposition, which is to say, surprisingly sweet-natured to fans despite reps as being brickshithouses.
Post automatically merged:

I've been out of the loop with work and haven't had time to sit by my computer etc., but holy shit this Kacy Catanzaro stuff is wacky. They really do run a sloppy shop lol.

GingerPowerBottom

mortality, ka, and the Tower
I think I just pulled my suspension of disbelief. Was watching Andre vs Hogan and the million dollar man and Virgil were on the outside of the ring. Hogan knocked their heads together and this is where things get interesting for me. Virgil was hanging on to the ropes on the outside of the apron, while hogan also grabbed the top rope from the inside of the apron. What happens next hurts my mind. Hogan pulls the rope towards him and Virgil comes flying over the ropes and lands on the inside of the ring. It almost broke my willingness to suspend disbelief, but luckily I looked over at Andre and my mind became 8 years old again.
Facebook knows I like old wrestling stories, and matches. Not sure how it knows, but it knows, and I greatly appreciate that.

CA_Gas Bag

I think I just pulled my suspension of disbelief. Was watching Andre vs Hogan and the million dollar man and Virgil were on the outside of the ring. Hogan knocked their heads together and this is where things get interesting for me. Virgil was hanging on to the ropes on the outside of the apron, while hogan also grabbed the top rope from the inside of the apron. What happens next hurts my mind. Hogan pulls the rope towards him and Virgil comes flying over the ropes and lands on the inside of the ring. It almost broke my willingness to suspend disbelief, but luckily I looked over at Andre and my mind became 8 years old again.
Facebook knows I like old wrestling stories, and matches. Not sure how it knows, but it knows, and I greatly appreciate that.

Wait, so the power of Hulkamania wasn't the reason why Virgil (and others who Hogan did it to) flew into the ring at the mere pulling of the top rope?

And does Virgil sell an 8x10 of that moment?

Bran

The wolf dead.
I paid for a month of WWE Network to watch the Rumble, and I was thinking about what to watch before I dump it and I came across the Thrillseekers run on Smoky Mountain Wrestling. It’s hilarious seeing Storm & Jericho at this stage of their careers, and a couple things have looked like an SCTV sketch

Last edited:

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
I paid for a month of WWE Network to watch the Rumble, and I was thinking about what to watch before I dump it and I came across the Thrillseekers run on Smoky Mountain Wrestling. It’s hilarious seeing Storm & Jericho at this stage of their careers, and a couple things have looked like an SCTV sketch

That's amazing

Bran

The wolf dead.
You know, Cornette has a lot to say about WWE and AEW and how unbelievable it is and how Bray Wyatt and Matt Hardy are doing too much fantastical shit and it’s driving off fans, and I think “yeah, his points are valid. “ then I turn on Smoky Mountain Wrestling and there’s a literal mummy on the midcard.
B9469839-D9E6-4CED-BC06-4D518D82F35D.jpeg

Fedorlei Gomipierre

The IQ Poster
Site Donor
View attachment 5891

I still get a laugh out of the fact that a former comedy characters schtick is that he hates comedy wrestling.
Lol, LOOOOOOK, I'm still gonna defend Cornette on these comedy angles, because the psychology behind it is still solid.

He wasn't a trained wrestler trying to win matches for championships and glory, and as a heel manager, was allowed to be a wimpy putz who got his comeuppance doing goofy shit. He wasn't trying to sell the audience that he was a shooter and THEN, pulls out the comedy, killing the illusion. He was a manager who everybody knew was soft, so the comedy was an accent to seeing him get his ass beat. I see that as entirely different than trained workers that act like they're seriously trying to win a match one minute, and go into a comedy skit mid-match.

Also, Rick Rubin wanted a mummy, so they gave him a mummy, fuggoff.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
Lol, LOOOOOOK, I'm still gonna defend Cornette on these comedy angles, because the psychology behind it is still solid.

He wasn't a trained wrestler trying to win matches for championships and glory, and as a heel manager, was allowed to be a wimpy putz who got his comeuppance doing goofy shit. He wasn't trying to sell the audience that he was a shooter and THEN, pulls out the comedy, killing the illusion. He was a manager who everybody knew was soft, so the comedy was an accent to seeing him get his ass beat. I see that as entirely different than trained workers that act like they're seriously trying to win a match one minute, and go into a comedy skit mid-match.

Corny carried a tennis racket to the ring. I always thought of him as a joke character. In terms of managers he is no Paul Heyman. He looks like a goober and according to some of his own logic detracts from the sacred seriousness of the product. I know why he did what he did. The levity worked. I have always viewed him as a comedy act though. I was also mostly fine with his post active career character who hates everything modern. He just eventually grew too grating on my nerves and the whole racism thing.

I just think it is funny that in his heyday he pulled a lot stuff for laughs and now his character is the old stick in the mud. Obviously I agree with some of the points you made though. Matches need psychology and story. Some people are no fucking good at that.

Oh and I also agree that the bray and broken Matt stuff went way too far. Especially the bray stuff.

Bran

The wolf dead.
I never enjoyed the Broken Matt stuff. I wasn’t watching Raw during the Bray stuff, but what I have seen is pretty bad

So it’s okay to have matches with some Universal Monsters but not others?

My biggest beef was the commentary team calling the match like a regular match, and not being like “HOLY SHIT A MUMMY!”the whole time

A hundred bucks says that was a Vince line.
If so, it’s his finest work in years and will hopefully be his legacy. Do you know how many times I’ve seen Nia Jax trending and it wasn’t because she nearly killed someone?

Last edited:

Fedorlei Gomipierre

The IQ Poster
Site Donor
Corny carried a tennis racket to the ring. I always thought of him as a joke character. In terms of managers he is no Paul Heyman. He looks like a goober and according to some of his own logic detracts from the sacred seriousness of the product. I know why he did what he did. The levity worked. I have always viewed him as a comedy act though. I was also mostly fine with his post active career character who hates everything modern. He just eventually grew too grating on my nerves and the whole racism thing.

I just think it is funny that in his heyday he pulled a lot stuff for laughs and now his character is the old stick in the mud. Obviously I agree with some of the points you made though. Matches need psychology and story. Some people are no fucking good at that.

Oh and I also agree that the bray and broken Matt stuff went way too far. Especially the bray stuff.
I tend to divide Cornette's active career into the Dennis/Bobby years, which were far more serious and legit, heatseeking, top-drawing heels, and the Bobby/Stan years, where they were labelled as great workers and knew their ceiling, so they just worked their best matches to get over with the crowds and amuse themselves within the dysfunctional WCW ecosystem.

From that, I'd argue that the Dennis/Bobby version of Cornette was far more of a grating rich kid that didn't rely on his quick comedic wit and was an all-time draw as a manager. Post Dennis, Cornette did creative promos that popped the boys and slipped into a parody of his former gimmick, at which point he was more comedy. That also aligns with the Midnights being too over to be booed, which put the entire act into a weird spot.

I never enjoyed the Broken Matt stuff. I wasn’t watching Raw during the Bray stuff, but what I have seen is pretty bad

So it’s okay to have matches with some Universal Monsters but not others?

My biggest beef was the commentary team calling the match like a regular match, and not being like “HOLY SHIT A MUMMY!”the whole time

If so, it’s his finest work in years and will hopefully be his legacy. Do you know how many times I’ve seen Nia Jax trending and it wasn’t because she nearly killed someone?
I'm just saying, if the financial backer wants a mummy and it's Rick Fuckin Rubin of all people, you hook a brother up with a mummy. But even with Corny's excuse, it isn't congruent with the similar criticisms he lays on others lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShakFu
Top Bottom