Winter Storm Watch [Ongoing]

Poindexter

Staff member
<iframe width='416' height='234' src='http://www.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#/video/bestoftv/2014/02/12/southern-storm-costello-newday.cnn' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Atlanta (CNN) -- After icing parts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, a winter storm arrived Wednesday in Georgia, dropping a mix of ice and rain that was expected to continue pelting the Southeast into Thursday.

Up to three-quarters of an inch of ice was expected to accumulate on Atlanta and up to 10 inches of snow and sleet on Charlotte, North Carolina, making travel treacherous.

Area residents had heeded ample warnings issued by forecasters, emptying grocery store shelves, filling up their tanks with gas and filling their trunks with salt.

In Atlanta, the city that couldn't get out of its own way after a 2.6-inch snowfall two weeks ago, road crews were staged along nearly empty highways -- not that it mattered, as the roads were largely deserted during the typically crowded morning commute.

It appeared the thousands of commuters who spent up to 20 hours stuck on the city's highways last month had learned their lessons.

A low-pressure weather system is expected to move up the East Coast, dropping snow on the Northeast, with 4 to 8 inches predicted for Washington and 6 to 10 inches on New York from midnight Wednesday into the day Thursday.

National Weather Service forecasters say the storm -- packed with sleet, snow, rain and ice -- is a potentially "catastrophic event."

"This is one of Mother Nature's worst kinds of storms that can be inflicted on the South," Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal told reporters Tuesday afternoon. "That is ice. It is our biggest enemy."

Power outages

In Georgia, more than 400 members of the National Guard were deployed for weather duty, and about 100 each for the Carolinas and Alabama. The National Guard also opened 35 of its armories in Georgia to be repurposed as shelters and warming centers, CNN affiliate WSB-TV reported.

Sleet and freezing rain began falling across Georgia early Wednesday, causing scattered power outages. Thousands of outages were reported in Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina as well, but of the 144,000 customers without power in the Southeast, more than 100,000 of those were in Georgia.

The power companies said Wednesday morning they expect those numbers to rise over the next 24 hours.

Georgia Power, the state's largest utility, warned that hundreds of thousands of customers could be without electricity "for days."

"This has the opportunity to be a huge event when you're talking about the amount of ice you're looking at," Aaron Strickland, the emergency operations chief for the power company, told reporters.

The utility staged fleets of trucks across the area. Teams from Florida, Texas and Ohio bolstered local line crews.

It's not the snow, it's the ice

More wicked weather coming

Twenty-two states -- from Louisiana to Maine -- are under winter advisories.

"Widespread and extended power outages are likely as ice accumulates on trees and power lines and brings them down," the warning says. "Please prepare to be without power in some locations for days and perhaps as long as a week."

In the Appalachians, more than 8 inches of snow were predicted to fall Wednesday.

Accumulations of 3 to 5 inches are expected in metropolitan Atlanta, and more in its northern suburbs.

Northeast Georgia and upstate South Carolina could get more.

Residents of Charlotte, North Carolina, were looking at up to a foot of snow, while mountainous southwestern Virginia could see up to 14 inches.

Track the storm

Closings and cancellations

Throughout the Southeast, hundreds of businesses, churches, government offices and school systems were closed because of the weather, CNN affiliates reported.

Among the cities with lengthy lists of closings were Atlanta; Nashville; Birmingham, Alabama; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Charleston, South Carolina; Columbia, South Carolina; Memphis, Tennessee; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Charlotte, North Carolina.

In Atlanta, the U.S. Women's National Team postponed its soccer match with Russia, which was scheduled to take place Wednesday in the Georgia Dome. It also canceled its training session Tuesday evening.

The game was moved to Thursday at 7:30, and those who bought tickets for the Wednesday match can use their tickets to get into Thursday's game, the U.S. Soccer Federation said in a prepared statement.

"The decision was made in accordance with the proactive approach by the city of Atlanta and state of Georgia to reduce the problems that occurred during a winter storm in late January," the federation said, explaining its decision to cancel the game Monday.

Transportation woes

The storm system was taking its toll on travel.

Stir-crazy? How to stay sane

Amtrak suspended some of its rail service in the Northeast, South and Mid-Atlantic regions for Wednesday.

Nationwide, more than 2,600 flights were canceled, according to FlightAware.com.

More than 800 of those cancellations occurred at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Delta Air Lines spokesman Morgan Durrant said Tuesday that employees at the Atlanta airport stayed overnight in parked planes because hotels were packed. But he contacted CNN on Wednesday to say that was untrue.

Road conditions

Georgia's Department of Transportation put crews on 12-hours shifts to salt, sand and scrape the roadways.

Gov. Deal said the state has brought in an additional 180 tons of salt and sand, and he urged residents not to put themselves "in jeopardy or danger."

Why not put power lines underground?

Residents complied. Tuesday's rush-hour traffic was light. Traffic clustered around gas stations and grocery stores.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley dispatched additional Highway Patrol officers to help with the expected accidents and stranded motorists on state highways, her office announced.

Deadly toll

At least five deaths have been blamed on the weather, including three people who died when an ambulance driver lost control on an icy patch of road outside of Carlsbad, Texas.

The ambulance slid off the roadway into a ditch, where it rolled over, caught fire and burned, the Texas Department of Public Safety said. A patient, a paramedic and another passenger were pronounced dead at the scene.

"If you get even a tenth of inch of ice on a road, it's like a skating rink," said Kurt Van Speybroeck, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Dallas.

In Mississippi, where the northern part of the state could see up to four inches of snow, authorities blamed the storm for two traffic deaths.
+

Any of you mother fuckers get hit?

RF76

beach bum
Not too bad here, I had to move a few tree limbs out of the road this morning. Power outages and falling ice is everywhere. Could be worse.

RF76

beach bum
It's right at freezing, I think the power is out at home. I'm at work and if we close I'll just stay here and finish watching Game of Thrones. No sense going home without power.

foundstarr

Inspector SpaceTime
Site Donor
It was negative 15 on Saturday here, today is the warmest its been in a month at 32 degrees. I do however live on a mountain and we have snow 6 months out of the year.
Good luck to those that aren't used to this type of weather, it can be difficult when you aren't prepared for it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I was having a dream I got Charlotte Stokely pregnant. I had to. I can't afford a child.

RF76

beach bum
We lost it for only 2 hours, pretty much back to normal here today. I have to be in Columbia tomorrow morning, should be an interesting drive. It's supposed to be 75° here this time next week.

Frag x 3

everybody's friend
It's insane how much snow we're getting here. My work said "we're aiming for 12 o'clock to open." I don't think they realize that the snow isn't going to stop.

Dirty

fuck you!
We had 3 deaths in our area. 1 was a guy who had a heart attack from shoveling and the other 2 was a couple in their 80s that got stuck a 1/4 mile from their house, tried to walk, got disoriented and lost, passed out and froze to death. Thats not counting any of the wrecks that happened that had fatalities.

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
Survival Pool Champion
We had 3 deaths in our area. 1 was a guy who had a heart attack from shoveling and the other 2 was a couple in their 80s that got stuck a 1/4 mile from their house, tried to walk, got disoriented and lost, passed out and froze to death. Thats not counting any of the wrecks that happened that had fatalities.
wft did anyone eat Eric Roberts #southpark reference

GingerPowerBottom

mortality, ka, and the Tower
We had a snow day today. Supposed to get more tomorrow. Been in the single digits Fahrenheit for the last week. I think this weekend it’s going to warm up. (30’s). Hoping tomorrow is a snow day. I like my job, but I work in education partly for the snow days. Still get excited like I did when I was a kid.
Heading to bjj soon. Haven’t been out for a few days. I live on a gravel road and I love driving in this shit. If you know how to do it it’s fun but there is danger so you have to drive slow. My pickup is only two wheel drive but I got a bunch of wood in the back. Next truck I get will definitely be 4 wheel drive but I’m driving this one till it dies. See ya in a bit fellas.

Poindexter

Staff member
Heading to bjj soon. Haven’t been out for a few days. I live on a gravel road and I love driving in this shit. If you know how to do it it’s fun but there is danger so you have to drive slow. My pickup is only two wheel drive but I got a bunch of wood in the back. Next truck I get will definitely be 4 wheel drive but I’m driving this one till it dies. See ya in a bit fellas.
You gonna do some hotdoggin'?

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
We're one of the few places unaffected which I'm both grateful for because I just had to negotiate my parents in and out of the hospital, and jealous of because the older I get the more I just want to be in the cold and grey.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
We're one of the few places unaffected which I'm both grateful for because I just had to negotiate my parents in and out of the hospital, and jealous of because the older I get the more I just want to be in the cold and grey.
It's fine as long as you don't have to deal with it. If your vehicle is in a garage, somebody else digs out your driveway and sidewalk, if you can spend 99% of the time being inside, it's not bad.

Bran

The wolf dead.
Yea this shit sucks donkey dick. I walk outside and I'm surrounded by snow piles three feet high. As some body who's only five and a half feet tall, it's very perilous.
Not the worst that I've seen around here, but a helluva lot of snow. Worst in a few years at least. Took me about 45 minutes to brush the snow off of my car. No digging, though. Thank god for 4 wheel drive.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
Not the worst that I've seen around here, but a helluva lot of snow. Worst in a few years at least. Took me about 45 minutes to brush the snow off of my car. No digging, though. Thank god for 4 wheel drive.
yeah we live right next to a hospital, and they offered their garage for free so we didn't have to worry about that. Just digging out the side entryway the front sidewalk two stoops, in the backyard so the dog can poop and I can take out the garbage.

My wife told me yesterday I'm surprised you haven't made any Hoth jokes. I said cuz the shit ain't funny
Post automatically merged:

This is definitely the most snow I've seen since I've been up here, March 2015. We got 18in in Evanston, added to the almost 2 ft we've gotten in the last couple weeks.

Bran

The wolf dead.
yeah we live right next to a hospital, and they offered their garage for free so we didn't have to worry about that. Just digging out the side entryway the front sidewalk two stoops, in the backyard so the dog can poop and I can take out the garbage.

My wife told me yesterday I'm surprised you haven't made any Hoth jokes. I said cuz the shit ain't funny
Drove to the restaurant I work at today, we're opening back up this weekend. Roads fucking suck right now. Expressway wasn't too bad, but I still drove past two cars that were snowbanked. Got to the restaurant and the city skipped our street. Luckily found a spot on the corner, but there's basically 3 feet of snow the entire street with zero plowing.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
Drove to the restaurant I work at today, we're opening back up this weekend. Roads fucking suck right now. Expressway wasn't too bad, but I still drove past two cars that were snowbanked. Got to the restaurant and the city skipped our street. Luckily found a spot on the corner, but there's basically 3 feet of snow the entire street with zero plowing.
That sucks dude, where about is your restaurant?

GingerPowerBottom

mortality, ka, and the Tower
My grandpa literally died shoveling snow and I fully expect it will likely happen to me as well. I love shoveling snow. When I was a kid I would walk around town and get paid to do it. Used to tell them I’d take what they thought I was worth until an old lady tried to give me 50 cents. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wearelivingart@protonmail
Top Bottom