What now for Cody Garbrandt?

LebenTysonTank

After losing twice in succession now to TJ,where does he go from here? In retrospect it seems kind of foolish to have done the rematch so immediately,it would have been better seperated by another fight or two imo. I don't think that it's very likely that the UFC gives Cody a 3rd fight with TJ for quite some time,probably at LEAST 4 or 5 fights.

He's always said that he can easily make 125 Lbs.,but now that the division is folding that is no longer an option,so....145?? He looks like he wouldn't be to small for the weight class really,obviously a little on the smaller side,but he can always put on a little size,he already has wicked knockout power,PLUS he would be a speed demon,and might be able to use his speed advantage and high level footwork to avoid shots from the bigger,slower guys at 145.

To me this is the smart play,.There is PLENTY of great fights for him at 145 and I think that he matches up quite well with most of the top guys. Garbrandt vs Aldo anyone? Garbrandt vs Edgar might be even better. His only other option as I see it would be to fight a couple fights against guys in the lower tier of the top ten and depending on how many fights he has left on his contract,fight out his contract and make the move to ONE Championships to fight at 125 and 135. Garbrandt vs Mighty Mouse?? Sign me up.

Then again he might just want to take the long hard road back to the 3rd fight with TJ,assuming Dillashaw is still the champion. Which I believe he will be for a long time,at least until Cruz is healthy again,Who even knows if and when that will ever happen. Or of course unless Cejudo shocks the world and pulls the upset over TJ.Thoughts?

Last edited:

ckauffman28

MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion
Assuncao/ Moraes loser would be a start for him.. i dont see him getting another shot at TJ

thumper

Staff member
After losing twice in succession now to TJ,where does he go from here? In retrospect it seems kind of foolish to have done the rematch so immediately,it would have been better seperated by another fight or two imo. I don't think that it's very likely that the UFC gives Cody a 3rd fight with TJ for quite some time,probably at LEAST 4 or 5 fights.

He's always said that he can easily make 125 Lbs.,but now that the division is folding that is no longer an option,so....145?? He looks like he wouldn't be to small for the weight class really,obviously a little on the smaller side,but he can always put on a little size,he already has wicked knockout power,PLUS he would be a speed demon,and might be able to use his speed advantage and high level footwork to avoid shots from the bigger,slower guys at 145.

To me this is the smart play,.There is PLENTY of great fights for him at 145 and I think that he matches up quite well with most of the top guys. Garbrandt vs Aldo anyone? Garbrandt vs Edgar might be even better. His only other option as I see it would be to fight a couple fights against guys in the lower tier of the top ten and depending on how many fights he has left on his contract,fight out his contract and make the move to ONE Championships to fight at 125 and 135. Garbrandt vs Mighty Mouse?? Sign me up.

Then again he might just want to take the long hard road back to the 3rd fight with TJ,assuming Dillashaw is still the champion. Which I believe he will be for a long time,at least until Cruz is healthy again,Who even knows if and when that will ever happen. Or of course unless Cejudo shocks the world and pulls the upset over TJ.Thoughts?
That dude is a strange case. he had all the momentum in the world and looked to be unbeatable. then TJ took his lunch money in the second round.

He got that quick rematch and I honestly thought at the time that if they fought 10 times it would be possible to win more than 5 of them. BUt during the rematch it became pretty clear that TJ had his number. I thought the first one could be a fluke, but not after him repeating and doing it faster the second time.

I think cody needs to work his way back up and get things sorted.

his run included beating dominic cruz, and he fought 4 times in 2016. He can't let himself fall off the map. got to get back in there and be a killer again. he already showed that he can win 11 in a row. it's not like the world figured out his game, TJ is a long time training partner of his and had a LOT of history to gather info, timing, distance and tools. Based on Cody's past record he's a winner. Just needs to not let back to back losses control his future.

LebenTysonTank

That dude is a strange case. he had all the momentum in the world and looked to be unbeatable. then TJ took his lunch money in the second round.

He got that quick rematch and I honestly thought at the time that if they fought 10 times it would be possible to win more than 5 of them. BUt during the rematch it became pretty clear that TJ had his number. I thought the first one could be a fluke, but not after him repeating and doing it faster the second time.

I think cody needs to work his way back up and get things sorted.

his run included beating dominic cruz, and he fought 4 times in 2016. He can't let himself fall off the map. got to get back in there and be a killer again. he already showed that he can win 11 in a row. it's not like the world figured out his game, TJ is a long time training partner of his and had a LOT of history to gather info, timing, distance and tools. Based on Cody's past record he's a winner. Just needs to not let back to back losses control his future.
I agree with everything you said,besides maybe that I want him to try an experimental fight against a top guy at 145 against Frankie Edgar. My one question and concern though is...has he got chiney? He all of a sudden seems like he may have caught Chuck Liddell syndrome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Battalion Fourteen raise your hands. You are code named Operation Get Behind The Darkies! And try not to get killed for God's sake!
Battalion Five raise your hands. You are the all important first attack wave, code named: Operation Human Shield!
An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye.
Is this thing on?
If 2020 was a math problem: if you're going down river at 2MPH and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom