Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

What do you drive?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gr8_White_Rabbit, Dec 30, 2008.

1. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Well I was gonna give you $5.

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

God. Damn.

3. FrankieButNotEdgar

I didn’t buy the 300S. I drove it and liked it but I didn’t love it so I slept on it and didn’t go back to the dealer.

For a car that’s only 5 months old and with 10,000 miles, the paint wasn’t in excellent condition.

Back to the drawing board. I’m burning a hell of a lot of gas in my Challenger, about $20 worth every day and a half to two days.
    --- Post Added -- Aug 21, 2019, ---
    This is the best family car you can get your hands on. I like Audi just fine but Dodge can have my money.

4. Qball1974

Qball1974 Joni Mitchell Site Donor

5. FrankieButNotEdgar

Wasn’t it @Clark Kent that is building a Mustang? I thought of you when I saw this video.

6. FrankieButNotEdgar

Score one for guys being right, women being wrong for a change.

So I’ve been complaining about driving my car as a daily driver since about the first week after I bought it. I absolutely love my car but as a manual transmission AND a big, heavy car, it’s a bitch to navigate in heavy traffic. It’s no fun and is tedious to drive in traffic.

I’ve been talking to my sales rep about finding me the same model in an automatic with a few features that mine doesn’t have like remote start and blind spot sensors. Remote start isn’t offered on a manual transmission for obvious reasons.

You sit down in this thing like a tank and can’t see shit out the right side window. The 2019 has blind spot warnings, the 2018 doesn’t.

So my ol lady has been listening to me talk about this for 6 weeks now and gives me shit about it. Make no mistake, I do love my car and grateful that I’m fortunate enough to have it. That said, it isn’t a practical daily driver and that’s what I’m talking about here.

Anyway, her car is in the body shop because the trunk lid, tail lights and rear body lines don’t quite line up. We suspect it was rear ended before we bought it from CarMax right after I got mine and now they’re having it looked at. She’s driving my car and I’m driving the Nissan Altima they gave us as a loaner so that we didn’t have to unanchor all of the car seats.

Day 1 was yesterday. I just sat back and let her drive it and waited to see what her experience was taking the kids to school and speech therapy and running to get me lunch and all the normal shit she has to do during a normal day.

So we get home last night and I find the Apple TV remote and flop my ass on the couch. She walks in, unsolicited and goes, “So we need to talk about the car situation because your car is a nightmare to drive.” She proceeds to list off all the issues that I had already been bitching about for weeks. I just started laughing. She has to drive a lot more than I do so she burned $30 worth of gas in one day. She was like, “that motherfucker just drinks gas even when you’re idling in traffic, and don’t get me started on the clutch!”

So yea, gonna get that traded and probably get a daily driver.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  7. Ninjastix

A gas guzzler in 2019 doesn't make any sense to me. I don't care how fun it is to drive, it's likely only 'fun' under the right circumstances and not likely to ever justify the cost of its fuel economy.

This is why I went with the GTI. If Mazda put a turbo in the 3 I don't think I would have gone back to VW, though when I think about it.. Mazda's sequential transmissions are very flat and the DC in the GTI is fantastic. Hard to say. But a daily should be something that has good fuel economy and high livability standards. I'd take build quality over performance.

8. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Damn man, sorry to hear that. Those things are definitely like sitting in tanks and like Camaros, are a bitch to see out of for sure. And absolutely a pain in the ass driving in traffic and most definitely a gas GUZZLER from hell. I spent so much money on premium gas in my old supercharged mustang. I miss the fuck out of that car though.

What are you thinking about getting for a daily?

I’m going to go check this bad boy out later today. I plan on coming back with it, too. Birthday present to myself. 2009 Harley Fat Boy. Only year they had it in matte black with a chrome polished engine instead of brushed metal. Customized to my liking very much. Only thing I’d do to this bitch is slap some sharper raised handlebars on it and some white wall tires. Maybe throw a custom exotic skin seat on it later.

upload_2019-8-29_11-1-42.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-29_11-2-2.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-29_11-2-29.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-29_11-3-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-29_11-3-34.jpeg

Peeling that Daytona sticker off the tank.

Ninjastix likes this.
  9. Ninjastix

^ the matte sheen on the bike is quite nice.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  10. m1ckey kn0x

Yeah I always loved that look

It’s been years since I had a bike and this would be the sickest one I’ve had by far. First Harley. I’ve had a Yamaha warrior 1700cc as the only other cruiser but it was beeeeeat up. Been waiting to have a bike like this my whole life.

11. FrankieButNotEdgar

Nice bike. I wish I had learned to ride a motorcycle earlier in life. I don’t want to learn now but had I learned earlier, I might have bought one by now.

As for your question, I’m not sure what I’m gonna go with for a daily driver. Since 2011, I’ve had 3 cars at any given time, all with a specific purpose. I have my personal car, a business car (daily driver) and my ol lady’s car. Right now, I have my personal car and she has hers but I don’t have a daily driver. I sold my truck and I need to get another truck sometime before next summer 2020. I may trade my Challenger for an automatic Challenger and daily drive it until I get a truck. My truck was my daily driver and should become one again. In the meantime, I can either get a temporary car until it’s time to get a truck, get a truck now, or just daily drive the Challenger until I get a truck.

I don’t want to buy a truck right now because I want to put a big chunk of a down payment on it so my monthly payments aren’t so much.

Only reason I own a Challenger is because it’s my favorite car. Take all practicality out of it. If I could have one car on this Earth it would be the Challenger. I just should have gotten an automatic.

The situation is this. When I bought my car, the 2019 models had no rebates so that sticker price was creeping up close 50K. I got the used one with only 6000 miles for 37K. A month later, they have $10,000 worth of rebates and incentives off of the sticker price for model year close outs and the 2019 models introduced those blind spot sensors I crave plus I can pick an automatic transmission since I have more choices. Plus with the automatic transmission, it allows for remote start which I also love having kids. I hate putting my kids into a hot or cold car. Their comfort is paramount.

I could definitely daily drive a Challenger. Gas guzzling aside, if I’m not constantly downshifting and upshifting in traffic, and I have assistance monitoring my blind spots, I’m good. My current Challenger doesn’t have those two features so it’s a nightmare driving around this city.

I only live 8 miles from my shop and I drive here and I drive home. Gas isn’t that big an obstacle. I just found it funny how shocked she was at how accurate I was in describing that experience to her since she drives a lot more than me. She has a 2017 Jaguar XE and it’s great on gas so she wasn’t prepared for my car.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  12. m1ckey kn0x

It’s super easy to learn how to ride. Just like riding a bicycle really. The fact you know how to drive a manual, operating a bike would click within a few hours.

I love the newer Chevy LT/LTZ trucks. Not sure of the exact model but I know them when I see them on the road. The sporty boxy ones with not too much boxiness in the front. Usually see them with a lift. That is a badass looking truck. Would love to have one of those one day.

13. FrankieButNotEdgar

I love the Chevy Silverado but I have a hard on for Dodge products and I absolutely love the Ram 1500 series. There’s actually a Ram 2500 at my local dealership that I could afford if I only had one car but I like having two cars so I would rather have the 1500 and a Challenger than just the 2500. But checkout this 2500. Such a bad ass piece of Ram engineering.

https://www.dodgefayetteville.com/n...tteville-1eefa8380a0e0adf7507821fb42998a6.htm

14. m1ckey kn0x

Oh yeahhhh. That is one hell of a truck. I love rams, too. That paint and clear coat is absolutely magnificent. And get a load of that center console!! Looks like something out of a Tesla with that screen. Love that. All the lights are really cool, too. Push start and sunroof. Everything black inside and out. That is a whole lotta sweet truck right there!!

FrankieButNotEdgar likes this.
  15. FrankieButNotEdgar

The center console system is available in some of the 1500s too. That’s why I don’t have a truck right now because I want to put a big down payment on one that has that center console and the cheapest I’ve seen with that set up is $46,000. So instead of making truck payments from now until May, June, I’m banking what would be that money to put a nice chunk down between now and then.

They have Ram 1500s that are decked out in the black like that but without the Diesel engine and the jacked up lift kit, both of which I don’t need.

16. m1ckey kn0x

Yeah I dig it. Something about driving a nice truck that is empowering. Can’t wait to pull the trigger on one someday.

Could really use a truck now cause I GOT THE BIKE! Boy, I won’t even lie, after not riding for years and having the jitters, let’s just say I had a ton of respect for that thing. Had to jump right back onto 95 and do 70-80 the whole hour back. Felt great though. Nerves were wracked. Total disbelief that I got that thing. I’ve been putting it off year after year cause I’ve had to worry about more important things, and I was even talking to a buddy a week ago saying yeah, hopefully next year I’ll finally get another one...

Birthday hits and next thing I know, now I got my first Harley sitting in the garage. Thing sounds bad to the bone. Will post pics once I get it customized a bit more to my own touch.

FrankieButNotEdgar likes this.
  17. FrankieButNotEdgar

I drove my car for the first time in just 2 days after driving a Nissan Altima loaner and man, it’s so much different driving it. First off, I enjoyed it because we went to a late dinner and traffic was light. But it’s so much different driving it. It’s night and day compared to this Nissan.

18. FrankieButNotEdgar

Well, I traded my car in for a 2019 model. Same motor but it has new features mine didn’t have. Blind spot warnings, remote start, leather is going to be done and most importantly, automatic transmission.

The only thing that sucks is I had to give my car up today and my new car won’t be delivered for 1-2 weeks because they just ordered it and it has to be shipped in. They gave me a base model Dodge Journey to drive in the meantime which sucks but could be worse. Very happy to have this done.

I went with Destroyer Gray this time over white.
    --- Post Added -- Sep 1, 2019, ---
    I took these pics yesterday before I left my car there.

BF245B8C-400B-44EB-9FFE-E97EAD7B5BC0.jpeg BA2F94A4-CD34-4692-ACBC-D3BD3B47D7BA.jpeg E62C58E6-48B1-4F5B-9FFE-0747FC53C5CD.jpeg

Ninjastix likes this.
  19. FrankieButNotEdgar

My sales rep called me this morning. My car just boarded a train in Buffalo, NY to travel to a train depot in Winston-Salem, NC which is roughly 3 hours from me. From there, I assume it will be put on a transport truck and delivered to my local dealership.

20. Ninjastix

Hopefully Vin Diesel doesn't hijack it in transit.