What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (1 Viewer)

Thamob

ISYMFS
I know we're a bunch of educated guys (some more than others). I just wanted to start a thread where you can let guys know what you're reading or if you wanted suggestions on books to read.

I'll start
Right now I'm reading "John Dies at the End" pretty funny so far.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
As of recent and some that I re-read:

Greatest Salesman in the World - Og Mandino
Think and Grow Rich - Napolean Hill
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
The Sales Bible - Jeffrey Gitomer
The War of Art - Steven Pressfield
The 48 Laws of Power, Mastery, The 50th Law - Robert Greene
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
Zero to One - Peter Thiel

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
The World According to Garp by John Irving. I just started it. I read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and I really liked it and might read all of his stuff now. It was between Garp and Cider House Rules and I decided to go with Garp first.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures - Malcom Gladwell

Just picked it up yesterday. It is a collection of articles published in The New Yorker articles by Gladwell.

jokerthief

No reason to get excited.
Site Donor
You kids both members of the same book club or something?

I thought the Alchemist was so-so. I cant say it moved me or inspired me as much as the hype portrayed. Maybe my expectations were to high.
Coincidence.

What makes "The Alchemist" inspiring to many people are the occult principles that are encoded into the story. To someone not inclined to the esoteric, I can see how this wouldn't be appealing.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Coincidence.

What makes "The Alchemist" inspiring to many people are the occult principles that are encoded into the story. To someone not inclined to the esoteric, I can see how this wouldn't be appealing.

Maybe.

I got the themes and principles of achieving your greatness or personal legend, creating your own destiny and harnessing the powers around you to make these things happen.

Maybe, I need to give it a fresh read.

Thamob

ISYMFS
Just wonderin since we have what you're listening to as tacked thread, could we do the same for this?

Goremire

Site Donor
Im currently reading Mindstar Rising by Peter F Hamilton from the Greg Mandel Files series again. Its sci fi with detective, cyberpunk and military sci fi elements. Its the shit.

Hillbilly

Deluxe Edition
waiting to pick up Stephen King's "Bazaar of Bad Dreams"

read recently:
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
MEG: Hell's Aquarium by Steve Alten
American Sniper, the Chris Kyle memoir

Thamob

ISYMFS
waiting to pick up Stephen King's "Bazaar of Bad Dreams"

read recently:
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
MEG: Hell's Aquarium by Steve Alten
American Sniper, the Chris Kyle memoir
I don't know about King any more. I hate to sound mean but he hasn't been the same since the accident.

TriangleSmoke

Motherfucker of the Century
Site Donor
I reread Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Shining recently. Holy fucking shit The Shining is such an incredible read. It's one of the only books that has given me the heebie jeebies. I'm reading Last Words by George Carlin right now.

And I just want to say fuck a Kindle. Paperback FTW.

Hillbilly

Deluxe Edition
I don't know about King any more. I hate to sound mean but he hasn't been the same since the accident.
heard that from alot of folks. I still enjoy some his work, the 2013 release of "Doctor Sleep" was the continuation story of "The SHining" with the main character being Danny Torrance. I liked it alot.

Reckon I'll find out soon how the newest novel is
Holy fucking shit The Shining is such an incredible read. It's one of the only books that has given me the heebie jeebies. I'm reading Last Words by George Carlin right now.

And I just want to say fuck a Kindle. Paperback FTW.
check out "Doctor Sleep" by King, it's the sequel to The Shining, I think you'll like it.

Paperback all the way for sure

Malevolence

Mostly harmless
Speaking of King, I finished the Dark Tower novels about 2 months ago, loved it, the expanse of the story, the time it took him to write it, the fact he incorporated himself & his accident into the plot, pretty amazing if slightly self indulgent. I read Insomnia after putting down the last part of the Dark Tower, mainly because it incorporated the Red King who features in both storylines.

I'm currently reading the Legends of Dune prequel trilogy, I've read almost all of the Dune novels, I'm slightly addicted.
The prequels & sequels are written by Frank Herbert's son, Brian & a co-author, Kevin Anderson, they're kind of mental bubble gum & tbh quite poorly written but they fill in gaps & histories/backgrounds that I'm lusting for so I persevere. The original Dune novel by Frank Herbert remains one of the best books I've ever read though.

Thamob

ISYMFS
Finished John Dies at the End

Just started reading Lamb The Gospel According to Biff.
[DOUBLEPOST=1452787022,1449506875][/DOUBLEPOST]Just finished
This Book Has Spiders by David Wong.

Awesome and funny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel