Vent and Post Your Random Rant Here

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Googled that, never watched Simpsons but I did spill coffee on the control panel once and shut the whole mill down.
Ha! Is that the kind of story that makes your career nickname or does it happen more than I'd think?

And, man, you missed an entire era of references.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Humor me.

I had a long, frustrating week. At work we're under new ownership as a segment, meaning those of us that are "Level 2 Engineers and Managers". Years ago I transitioned from a specialized segment of the business dedicated to litigation software products to the more nebulous Research division of the company. Research gives fuckall about software. They don't know what install is and they don't care. Our sister-products were sold off and my product was shoehorned into platform.

And I've been rotting there ever since. I lost my team to outsourcing. I lost a senior engineer to death. I lost my clients to incompetent management. And I lost just about every argument and advocation to prevent the preceding. So I basically just react to problems. Almost all of them preventable but I no longer has any insight into Sales, into Onboarding, and into initial Support to be of any assistance to paying customers until there's a huge fucking problem. Then I get pushed out to fix all the problems without the benefit of any due diligence. Every time I have to confront a client issue I have no description of the core issue, I have no history of the chain of events, and I'm afforded no understanding regarding the client's purchasing power with the company.

Now - the new "leadership" want to know what we can do to "improve the customer experience". This week I had to attend a "journey mapping" session that outlines the client experience. Essentially the process by which the customer lands in my lap. So...

I blew up the earf. I told new management I'm a mushroom. I'm kept in the dark and I'm fed bullshit. I am a subject matter expert that has actively been disengaged from assisting your paying clients. Where I once had a team that trained and promoted the product nationwide, I now nanny foreign representatives that can barely spell the product name let alone speak on behalf of its functionality or intended usage. Where I once secured additional revenue opportunities, I'm left trying to salvage renewals for long-standing clients who have simply had enough of our shit. We don't communicate with them when there are release, fixes, price changes, feature enhancements, or new products. We only contact them for billing. No one even knows I exist who doesn't already know I exist. And those clients are left to contact me directly because they refuse to go through either our business or support channels.

I had a literal fight with my manager this morning because he refused to acknowledge that his two best resources for supporting, selling, and securing this product have been marginalized. I refuse to go forward until there's an acknowledgement by "leadership" that they created this fucking mess and they need to fix it, NOT ME. I'm a god damned grunt. You don't ask a sergeant to win a god damn campaign. You ask him to hold the fucking line and the line is pretty fucking nonexistent.

But that's not what I want to rant about. @FrankieButNotEdgar can attest to this but in the last 2-3 days North Carolina received a ridiculous amount of rainfall. Like, a hurricane/monsoon amount of rain. Maybe 20 inches or more in some regions. I have a retention pond behind my home and I've never seen it so full.

Well my wife forgot to raise the rear window on our GTI. And it sat in the driveway for 2 days getting rained into because we don't drive everyday. That Covid life. Why was the window down? She doesn't remember. She claims in the all the time she's driven the car she's never put the all the windows down. So by some confluence of events she managed to use the window this week, didn't notice the buffeting that one rear windows down will produce while she was driving, and allowed the car to be saturated for 2 straight days.

I'm gonna kill this bitch. And I don't care who knows. When you see me on the news don't think I'm your average spousal abuser. Know I had cause to do what I did.

Last edited:

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
Humor me.

I had a long, frustrating week. At work we're under new ownership as a segment, meaning those of us that are "Level 2 Engineers and Managers". Years ago I transitioned from a specialized segment of the business dedicated to litigation software products to the more nebulous Research division of the company. Research gives fuckall about software. They don't know what install is and they don't care. Our sister-products were sold off and my product was shoehorned into platform.

And I've been rotting there ever since. I lost my team to outsourcing. I lost a senior engineer to death. I lost my clients to incompetent management. And I lost just about every argument and advocation to prevent the preceding. So I basically just react to problems. Almost all of them preventable but I no longer has any insight into Sales, into Onboarding, and into initial Support to be of any assistance to paying customers until there's a huge fucking problem. Then I get pushed out to fix all the problems without the benefit of any due diligence. Every time I have to confront a client issue I have no description of the core issue, I have no history of the chain of events, and I'm afforded no understanding regarding the client's purchasing power with the company.

Now - the new "leadership" want to know what we can do to "improve the customer experience". This week I had to attend a "journey mapping" session that outlines the client experience. Essentially the process by which the customer lands in my lap. So...

I blew up the earf. I told new management I'm a mushroom. I'm kept in the dark and I'm fed bullshit. I am a subject matter expert that has actively been disengaged from assisting your paying clients. Where I once had a team that trained and promoted the product nationwide, I now nanny foreign representatives that can barely spell the product name let alone speak on behalf of its functionality or intended usage. Where I once secured additional revenue opportunities, I'm left trying to salvage renewals for long-standing clients who have simply had enough of our shit. We don't communicate with them when there are release, fixes, price changes, feature enhancements, or new products. We only contact them for billing. No one even knows I exist who doesn't already know I exist. And those clients are left to contact me directly because they refuse to go through either our business or support channels.

I had a literal fight with my manager this morning because he refused to acknowledge that his two best resources for supporting, selling, and securing this product have been marginalized. I refuse to go forward until there's an acknowledgement by "leadership" that they created this fucking mess and they need to fix it, NOT ME. I'm a god damned grunt. You don't ask a sergeant to win a god damn campaign. You ask him to hold the fucking line and the line is pretty fucking nonexistent.

But that's not what I want to rant about. @FrankieButNotEdgar can attest to this but in the last 2-3 days North Carolina received a ridiculous amount of rainfall. Like, a hurricane/monsoon amount of rain. Maybe 20 inches or more in some regions. I have a retention pond behind my home and I've never seen it so full.

Well my wife forgot to raise the rear window on our GTI. And it sat in the driveway for 2 days getting rained into because we don't drive everyday. That Covid life. Why was the window down? She doesn't remember. She claims in the all the time she's driven the car she's never put the all the windows down. So by some confluence of events she managed to use the window this week, didn't notice the buffeting that one rear windows down will produce while she was driving, and allowed the car to be saturated for 2 straight days.

I'm gonna kill this bitch. And I don't care who knows. When you see me on the news don't think I'm your average spousal abuser. Know I had cause to do what I did.
She deserves it. ;)

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I also left out of my rant that a biopsy I had last week for a mole on my back came back this week as irregular. Now "irregular" doesn't mean cancerous. But combined with a family history and prior moles I'm almost certain to develop melanoma at some point in my life. I have to go back in December to have a Dr. check if they got it all or if a new irregular mole grows back in its place.

At least I have the insurance and wherewithal to get this shit checked. After this fucking week I swear, I could punt a puppy into traffic.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I will confirm that NC has gotten a fuck ton of rain this week. I generally like the rain but my dogs hate it and are afraid of it. There was 4 inches of standing water behind my shop so how am I supposed to let my puppy go shit when it would be the equivalent of knee deep on him? So he refused to go out and shit in the hallway. At least it's tile.

CA_Gas Bag

I have been pretty fortunate this year for the most part.

Late January/early February they laid off around 130 people. We had started the year with around 400 hourly employees, but everyone was nervous when production was halted after two airplanes crashed. It's a union shop that goes by seniority on almost everything, which is a double-edged sword. I was fortunate to be high enough on the list where I wasn't affected by that layoff.

We had what amounted to an extended spring break where I was off work for six weeks, getting paid for two by the company when they were supposedly cleaning the covid out of the building. My wife also decided to add two more puppies to the household, bringing the total to three. The other four weeks were on unemployment, which was during the supplemental $600 that was being given out at the time. Still, I was fortunate to have my unemployment process be smooth and got payment promptly.

We returned to work in May when a few weeks in, there was another layoff announced; this time of 20 people. A director of operations type person visited the facility to make the announcement, and he declared no one else would be laid off. Two weeks later...another 20 were cut. Salaried employees had also been getting cut as well during this time. I lost my position but was able to move back to my previous job title, taking a pay cut of around $2.50 total after transferring to night shift for a differential.

Making less money, but still fortunate to be working and providing for my family. Five kids, three dogs and a wife who hadn't worked in eight years until recently getting a weekend job as a cook for an NA facility. It was also around mid-September I found out we had over $20k in credit card debt, part of which was one card not being paid on for six months. I should have been aware.

October comes and I remember talking to the wife about how we'll navigate through the uncertainty. Then I get a call from a friend who stayed on day shift. That director of operations type came down again to announce that the facility will be closing by mid-2021. I still have no idea when I am actually going to be laid off, but I am still working so I am still fortunate for the moment.

Since then I have been keeping track of the number of applications I've filled out for various jobs, mostly in assembly. By my last count I've put in over 110 for positions across the country, having several interviews with companies that took an interest in me. Two companies wanted to have in-person interviews, and because I wanted to save a little money I scheduled them on back to back days. I got a rental car and drove to Iowa and Colorado to attend them, and also had a phone interview with a company rep in San Antonio while driving back home.

The wife gave me an hourly figure that should be my minimum for a job out of state, and I am absolutely certain it isn't going to be offered by anyone. "Because we can't move right away and you have to cover your living expenses."

I started working there mid-September 2012 two weeks after she gave birth to my second son. It being her first child, postpartum hit her and she quit her job as a weekend cook in a nursing home. In eight years working as the primary/only income provider, I've been fortunate to
  • Buy a house that had enough room for the (at the time) 4 of us
  • Have three more kids so the house feels less spacious
  • Get raises and transfer to a better paying position
  • Be able to somehow provide enough for the seven of us to cover the necessities and be able to take vacations to California, Chicago, Denver, Memphis and St. Louis over the last three years.

Fortunate as fuck.

And drowning in fear and anxiety. Even though I am still working, I'm also looking for the next job.

Panic attacks fucking suck, and I've had two at work. Almost three.

And I feel like I shouldn't bitch about it because so many other people have had it so much worse, especially this year. Even just talking about it with my wife feels like I'm just dumping more stress on her. I think some call it "being a lil' bitch" but I don't know.

That's the end of that rant. I still feel like I shouldn't complain, even in this spot.
Post automatically merged:

To add one more thing, since I forgot the source.

The fear of failing my family is the worst part.

Last edited:

Poindexter

Staff member
I have been pretty fortunate this year for the most part.

Late January/early February they laid off around 130 people. We had started the year with around 400 hourly employees, but everyone was nervous when production was halted after two airplanes crashed. It's a union shop that goes by seniority on almost everything, which is a double-edged sword. I was fortunate to be high enough on the list where I wasn't affected by that layoff.

We had what amounted to an extended spring break where I was off work for six weeks, getting paid for two by the company when they were supposedly cleaning the covid out of the building. My wife also decided to add two more puppies to the household, bringing the total to three. The other four weeks were on unemployment, which was during the supplemental $600 that was being given out at the time. Still, I was fortunate to have my unemployment process be smooth and got payment promptly.

We returned to work in May when a few weeks in, there was another layoff announced; this time of 20 people. A director of operations type person visited the facility to make the announcement, and he declared no one else would be laid off. Two weeks later...another 20 were cut. Salaried employees had also been getting cut as well during this time. I lost my position but was able to move back to my previous job title, taking a pay cut of around $2.50 total after transferring to night shift for a differential.

Making less money, but still fortunate to be working and providing for my family. Five kids, three dogs and a wife who hadn't worked in eight years until recently getting a weekend job as a cook for an NA facility. It was also around mid-September I found out we had over $20k in credit card debt, part of which was one card not being paid on for six months. I should have been aware.

October comes and I remember talking to the wife about how we'll navigate through the uncertainty. Then I get a call from a friend who stayed on day shift. That director of operations type came down again to announce that the facility will be closing by mid-2021. I still have no idea when I am actually going to be laid off, but I am still working so I am still fortunate for the moment.

Since then I have been keeping track of the number of applications I've filled out for various jobs, mostly in assembly. By my last count I've put in over 110 for positions across the country, having several interviews with companies that took an interest in me. Two companies wanted to have in-person interviews, and because I wanted to save a little money I scheduled them on back to back days. I got a rental car and drove to Iowa and Colorado to attend them, and also had a phone interview with a company rep in San Antonio while driving back home.

The wife gave me an hourly figure that should be my minimum for a job out of state, and I am absolutely certain it isn't going to be offered by anyone. "Because we can't move right away and you have to cover your living expenses."

I started working there mid-September 2012 two weeks after she gave birth to my second son. It being her first child, postpartum hit her and she quit her job as a weekend cook in a nursing home. In eight years working as the primary/only income provider, I've been fortunate to
  • Buy a house that had enough room for the (at the time) 4 of us
  • Have three more kids so the house feels less spacious
  • Get raises and transfer to a better paying position
  • Be able to somehow provide enough for the seven of us to cover the necessities and be able to take vacations to California, Chicago, Denver, Memphis and St. Louis over the last three years.

Fortunate as fuck.

And drowning in fear and anxiety. Even though I am still working, I'm also looking for the next job.

Panic attacks fucking suck, and I've had two at work. Almost three.

And I feel like I shouldn't bitch about it because so many other people have had it so much worse, especially this year. Even just talking about it with my wife feels like I'm just dumping more stress on her. I think some call it "being a lil' bitch" but I don't know.

That's the end of that rant. I still feel like I shouldn't complain, even in this spot.
Post automatically merged:

To add one more thing, since I forgot the source.

The fear of failing my family is the worst part.
You are persevering under incredible odds. I would encourage talking about your concerns, fears, anxieties—if not with your wife, then definitely with friends, family, and/or some for of therapist/counselor. It's not a pussy thing to do.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
You are persevering under incredible odds. I would encourage talking about your concerns, fears, anxieties—if not with your wife, then definitely with friends, family, and/or some for of therapist/counselor. It's not a pussy thing to do.
It is time for me to get some therapy myself. I highly encourage anyone in crisis to seek out counseling.

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
I have an awesome therapist. I highly recommend that and medicine if you need it. My therapist always says “that makes sense” and I’m always wanting to have her say “you know what, that doesn’t make sense.” Panic attacks are horrible. Take care of yourself guys.

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
I hug my grandkids or look at their pictures. It's my therapy. I needed a heavy dose.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I'm anxious and depressed. Struggling to focus on my job. My mental illness is a motherfucker during winter and I can't used a light box because of the eye surgery I got a while back.

I'm so god damn fortunate, have an incredible job by most standards, etc. Yet all I want to do is quit and live under the covers for a few months.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Boss's boss and boss's boss's boss were both fired. I will have the opportunity to interview for a different role. "There are roles that will not be required."

Fucking finance.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I had about a 4 cm diameter of skin removed from my back from around an already existing 2 cm diameter wound.

Fucking sucks bro.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Boss's boss and boss's boss's boss were both fired. I will have the opportunity to interview for a different role. "There are roles that will not be required."

Fucking finance.
I've been told, and this could change, that my job is safe! Great news and even still I have an interview at a company I want to work for in 1 minute. Feeling like things aren't terrible!

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
I wish. This is for skin cancer. Or the potentiality of skin cancer.
I had a spot removed from my arm a few years ago. It was luckily benign (I think that was the term). Funny thing was my general doctor asked if she could take it off and send it in. I said sure cause I know they want a little action from the general boringness of their day. This woman is from India and oh I’m a ginger (setting the mood). Anyways while cutting the spot off blood squirted directly in her eye. Poor nice lady. If frazzled her and she asked me to get a hiv test. Which I did and hooray I was negative. The shitty part was I had to go to the surgeon and they had to cut on my arm for an hour. It didn’t hurt but the noise raised my anxiety to a heightened level. Looks like I got vag on my arm. When/if this happens again I’ll ask for a Valium. That noise of them scissoring the skin was horrible. On the bad side I say again I’m a pale ginger who took shit care of myself for 30 plus years of being in the sun.

Poindexter

Staff member
I had a spot removed from my arm a few years ago. It was luckily benign (I think that was the term). Funny thing was my general doctor asked if she could take it off and send it in. I said sure cause I know they want a little action from the general boringness of their day. This woman is from India and oh I’m a ginger (setting the mood). Anyways while cutting the spot off blood squirted directly in her eye. Poor nice lady. If frazzled her and she asked me to get a hiv test. Which I did and hooray I was negative. The shitty part was I had to go to the surgeon and they had to cut on my arm for an hour. It didn’t hurt but the noise raised my anxiety to a heightened level. Looks like I got vag on my arm. When/if this happens again I’ll ask for a Valium. That noise of them scissoring the skin was horrible. On the bad side I say again I’m a pale ginger who took shit care of myself for 30 plus years of being in the sun.
Nasty.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
This is weird but every once in a while I get a bump on my skin, maybe an ingrown hair or something. Twice I've removed them myself with a pocket knife, still have a good scar from one. Probably not normal to do that kind of thing.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
This is weird but every once in a while I get a bump on my skin, maybe an ingrown hair or something. Twice I've removed them myself with a pocket knife, still have a good scar from one. Probably not normal to do that kind of thing.
I had a wort on my thumb I couldn't freeze off, ended up digging it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james101
Top Bottom