Updated: Greg Hardy transitioning to MMA, preparing for pro debut with UFC's DWCS (1 Viewer)

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
That dude better never make it to the UFC. if he does, it's going to be very bad. The PR will be horrible. especially to a company that pretends to be so against DV.

Noise

Ruido
I've always heard that prosecutors don't need the victim to move forward with a case/conviction (for this very reason, I guess?).

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
FYI @Noise this guy is a grade - a piece of shit

When the NFL originally announced Hardy's suspension, it said the league's investigation concluded that Hardy violated the Personal Conduct Policy by using physical force against the woman in at least four instances: First, he caused her to land in a bathtub. Second, he caused her to land on a futon that was covered with at least four semiautomatic rifles. Third, he placed his hands around her neck and applied enough pressure to leave marks. And fourth, he shoved her against a wall in his apartment's entry hallway.
The NFL sued the state of North Carolina in Superior Court to get seven photographs from the 2014 trial. In the court's order granting the NFL's request, access to the photos was limited to the league, the players' union, Hardy, attorneys and independent experts who might be asked to review the photos in helping the league decide its punishment.
More trouble this season
Hardy has played in three games this season, recording three sacks and one interception. But he's been making headlines for his actions off the field.
In the locker room just before his return to games, calling his time away "the most awesome period of my life."
"I hope I come out guns blazing," the man who was once accused of throwing a woman onto a couch full of assault rifles and bragging that they were loaded said in October. "I'm full of excitement and full of juice. I'm ready to go."
Hardy also cracked jokes and talked about Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's wife, supermodel Gisele Bundchen, according to The Dallas Morning News.
"I love seeing Tom Brady, he's cool as crap," Hardy said. "Have you seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game, all her friends come to the game. One of my favorite games of the year, guys."
Then during an October 25 loss to the New York Giants, Hardy got into a heated discussion with injured receiver Dez Bryant and Cowboys Special Teams Coordinator Rich Bisaccia. Hardy swiped at Bisaccia's clipboard before he was pulled away from a huddle.
After the game, Bryant and other Cowboys downplayed the incidents.
that dude either paid her off, or scared her out of testifying
[DOUBLEPOST=1528863819,1528863759][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've always heard that prosecutors don't need the victim to move forward with a case/conviction (for this very reason, I guess?).
the NFL also did their own investigation and found he was guilty.

and they don 't have to drop it. the state can pick up the charges, but let's be honest, a pro bowler? with a valid contract to play? money made that call

Noise

Ruido
Jesus, who in the fuck is this dude. I would figure a district attorney with an election would be chomping at the bit to prosecute a case like that, even without a victim's on-hand testimony.

I also wonder how a fighter's union would handle this.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Any good wrestler is going to smash him. Ay least Dana is going to try and protect him competition wise. You know the complete opposite of what they did with C.M. Pink. Granted Hardy, even if he is a woman beater, is a much better athlete.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
@Sakara=Excitement i know that, but when I go there i see a bunch of stuff about old episodes from last season, and one quick promo from tonight, but no information on what time, timezone, or where to go on fightpass to watch it.

I've never watched a scheduled show on fightpass so i have no clue how to do it. the prelims are easy, click on 'live events' but this show isn't live is it?
[DOUBLEPOST=1528841589,1528840324][/DOUBLEPOST]Ahh fuck me, nevermind, it IS a live event. i found it. Sorry bout that.
It is on Tuesday nights at 5pm pst. Live on Fight Pass.

If you miss it, you have to wait until the episode is complete before you can go back on FP and watch a replay.
[DOUBLEPOST=1528898632][/DOUBLEPOST]The media is eating up this Hardy win.

MMAJunkie has Greg Hardy articles as its top 5 articles on its website this morning. Gross.

Developmental Deal Likely Means More Bouts Outside UFC for Greg Hardy
Former NFL player Greg Hardy made his professional MMA debut and earned a UFC developmental contract on the second season of Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series.

Hardy’s debut in a show where he was vying for a contract with the world’s largest MMA promotion was heavily criticized due to his controversial past. The athlete was convicted for assaulting his ex-girlfriend in 2014, but the charges were dropped after the victim refused to testify in his appeal. Hardy’s has had alcohol and drug problems as well that got him in more legal issues in the past.

When asked about Hardy’s controversial past, UFC president Dana White responded in a media scrum on Tuesday night (video courtesy MMAjunkie.com).

“He’s the type of athlete, and he’s the type of guy that, if he does anything wrong, there will be no mercy for him,” White said. “I mean, everybody’s going to jump on him. You talk to the people in his camp, they love the guy. Men and women. They think he’s a great guy and a guy who (was) probably doing drugs, drinking and made a big mistake.”

Hardy had three amateur fights before his professional debut Tuesday night, all with finishes by knockout in the first round. In his debut, Hardy took some combinations from opponent Austen Lane, and near the first minute of the round, he dropped Lane to one knee with a vicious right hook, and then knocked him out to secure his first victory in the Octagon. The knockout impressed the UFC president and matchmakers Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard.

“I’m ready for the big show,” Hardy said in his post-fight interview. “I love the opportunity. I train at the best gym in the world, and I have full confidence and faith that those guys are there to get me ready for whatever comes next.”

White hinted that Hardy’s contract would be of a developmental nature, in order for the fighter to get some additional experience before making his official UFC debut.

“We’ve talked about some ideas to help this guy grow. He’s already with a great team, he’s with Dan Lambert and his crew down in Florida [at American Top Team]. He’s in the right place as far as training and learning, and now he just needs some experience, and we could do that, too.” White said.

The UFC boss elaborated on that plan further in the post-fight scrum.

“If he can turn around and come back, I would like to have him fight on the last episode of the Contender Series. Then I would like to put him on a bunch of ‘Looking For A Fight’ cards, get him some experience and then we’ll decide when we think he’s ready for the UFC,” White said.

“If you see him, you see that he has power. He’s a big heavyweight. He needs to work more. He needs to get some more fights. We’ve done deals where, for example, Cyborg was under contract with the UFC but fought in Invicta. Alexa Grasso was under contract with the UFC. Mackenzie Dern was under contract with the UFC and fought in other places.

Meanwhile, Hardy stated that he wanted to get back to action as soon as possible.

When asked to send a message to those who criticized his transition to MMA, Hardy said, “Just keep watching, I’m going to keep getting better, and I’m going to keep having fun!”

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
Any good wrestler is going to smash him. Ay least Dana is going to try and protect him competition wise. You know the complete opposite of what they did with C.M. Pink. Granted Hardy, even if he is a woman beater, is a much better athlete.
this is the new hyperbole UFC. they will put him against guys that have zero grappling and couldn't take anyone down.

Welcome to the 'Endeavor' era. What I think is going to be the eventual end of the UFC as we know it.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
this is the new hyperbole UFC. they will put him against guys that have zero grappling and couldn't take anyone down.

Welcome to the 'Endeavor' era. What I think is going to be the eventual end of the UFC as we know it.
Oh there is no way he sees a legit wrestler in a long, long time. They are going to feed him strikers.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!

The UFC hasn't been the same for years. I think when the UFC signed with Fox and left Spike. That was the end of the UFC as we knew it. In the last 5 years, nothing they've done has been surprising if you were paying attention.

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
The UFC hasn't been the same for years. I think when the UFC signed with Fox and left Spike. That was the end of the UFC as we knew it. In the last 5 years, nothing they've done has been surprising if you were paying attention.
That's not true at all. The UFC always forced prize fights but they held to the belts and titles too. WME has stated on record they aren't evern considering titles as the best fighter in the division, it's only for the best fighter that night.

they are going to introduce more belts before adding more divisions and they're adding a slew of divisions. They also put that on record, though i can't find it. I DO have proof of them officially claiming belts/titles aren't reflective of the true champions

it started right when conor came up. the UFC was hinting at this move, but never abandoned their belt credibility. WME instantly did. it's much different and the entire company exists now to do almost all prize fights.

The UFC held titles and title fights as really big deals and felt credibility there was at least kind of important, even though they still hand picked them

The m issing link here is catch weight fights. Champions of divisions and contenders of divisions could have way more fights if they did non-title catch weight fights for the cool match ups or 'prize fights' but they don't do it that way. instead of managing both they skew it to the same division.

when was the last time you saw a planned catch weight fight in the UFC?
[DOUBLEPOST=1528904086,1528903747][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh there is no way he sees a legit wrestler in a long, long time. They are going to feed him strikers.
yeah. that falls in line with their whole MO. they hold off giving some guys well rounded fighters when they're on-dimensional. but sooner or later hand picking opponents runs you up the 'ranks' and you're forced to fight contenders when they suddenly can't avoid them

CA_Gas Bag

The UFC boss elaborated on that plan further in the post-fight scrum.

“If he can turn around and come back, I would like to have him fight on the last episode of the Contender Series. Then I would like to put him on a bunch of ‘Looking For A Fight’ cards, get him some experience and then we’ll decide when we think he’s ready for the UFC,” White said.
"I'm gonna use the controversy of having this guy to get more eyes on the shows that have my name on them."

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Morning Report: Domestic violence victim Jessica-Rose Clark ‘very against’ UFC signing Greg Hardy
Former NFL star Greg Hardy has a troubling history with domestic violence. But this week at Dana White‘s Tuesday Night Contender Series, Hardy knocked out Austen Lane in 57 seconds, prompting Dana White to sign Hardy to a developmental deal. Given Hardy’s past, that signing has proven highly controversial, not only with fans but with fighters as well, including one up-and-coming young fighter who has been a victim of domestic violence before.

Rising UFC flyweight Jessica-Rose Clark is a survivor of a brutal domestic violence attack and she spoke out against the Hardy signing on a recent edition of the Phone Booth Fighting podcast.

“I had a spate with domestic violence before I moved out here to Vegas,” Clark explained. ”That’s actually why I moved to Vegas. I had my fiance - at the time - arrested on one count of attempted murder and two counts of assault. . .

“He didn’t get convicted. He got a 15-month suspended sentence, still allowed to leave the country. They gave him his second chance and I’m a firm believer that someone who is capable of going as far as he went with me – and I know he’s been further with other women before I met him – he’s not going to change. He can do all the convincing and all the lying in the world and he can convince you that he’s a really good person, but who he is at his core is someone who’s capable and willing to do stuff like that.

“So I am very against Greg [Hardy] being signed because I don’t believe that people like that change.“

Clark was assaulted by her fiance, MMA fighter Julian Wallace, in 2016. Wallace kicked Clark in the head while wearing boots, hit her in the face, kneed her in the ribs, threw her on the ground and choked her before Clark was able to break out of the choke and knock Wallace out with a head kick. Wallace plead guilty to the charges. Hardy’s victim was not as lucky.

In 2014, Hardy was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend, throwing her into furniture, choking her, and threatening to kill her. He was found guilty of assault and communicating threats. Eventually the charges were dropped on appeal as the victim failed to appear in court to continue the proceedings. Hardy was suspended for 10 games by the NFL (reduced down to four on appeal) but washed out of the league shortly afterwards after clashing with teammates and coaches. Now, Hardy has moved onto a second career that seems likely to be successful given his athletic abilities but Clark thinks the UFC shouldn’t be a party to it because it just perpetuates the behavior.

“Athletic ability seems to supersede any negative thing you do in your life,” Clark said. “You see it time and time again, like Kobe Bryant. It happens so often and it blows my mind that that’s where our society is at. Like, ‘Oh, he did all these really terrible things, but he’s an amazing athlete, so f**k it, let’s just let him keep going and let him keep making his millions and let him keep being on TV.’ There’s no punishment.

“What stops him from going and doing it to the next girlfriend? I promise you that wasn’t the first girlfriend that he did that to but he didn’t get punished for that one, either. He didn’t get punished for the first one and he didn’t get punished for that one and now he’s going to be televised on one of the largest broadcasts in the world, for one of the most popular sports in the world. Where the f**k is the punishment? What’s stopping him from doing it to every girl that comes into contact with him?”

Fedorlei Gomipierre

The IQ Poster
Site Donor
I think I've been going on and on about this for a few years now, since from the moment I heard he started transitioning to MMA, expressly because HW is such a shallow division (with a glaring disparity among the level of athleticism and conditioning), and because this guy is a legit elite-level athlete, it was apparent from the moment he started to get actual legitimate training, that his potential upside would be limitless since MMA doesn't get THIS level of athlete still in their relative primes. Hardy has the opportunity to go far and on all levels, this is awful.

I've got nothing else to contribute to this deal, since I've laid out the issues for a while, but holy shit am I incredibly disappointed in how everybody has handled this and even knowing Dana's a scummy fucking cunt, this is a low point even for him when you know the entire story. I'm not surprised, but as a fifteen-ish year customer, I'm disgusted and turned off by this move and won't have anything to do with paying money to see this fucker fight.

There are special circumstances and rehabilitation for DV offenders and extreme nuance to these incidents and IMO, contrition is a major factor- so I won't paint all individuals with the same brush here. Greg Hardy isn't that guy, Greg Hardy is a piece of shit and isn't going to change. I'm just gonna sit back, not pay for his fights and root like hell for his opponents to TBI the fuck out of him and hopefully ghost him from the sport. It makes the sport look so trashy, and we're talking about MMA here folks!

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I think I've been going on and on about this for a few years now, since from the moment I heard he started transitioning to MMA, expressly because HW is such a shallow division (with a glaring disparity among the level of athleticism and conditioning), and because this guy is a legit elite-level athlete, it was apparent from the moment he started to get actual legitimate training, that his potential upside would be limitless since MMA doesn't get THIS level of athlete still in their relative primes. Hardy has the opportunity to go far and on all levels, this is awful.

I've got nothing else to contribute to this deal, since I've laid out the issues for a while, but holy shit am I incredibly disappointed in how everybody has handled this and even knowing Dana's a scummy fucking cunt, this is a low point even for him when you know the entire story. I'm not surprised, but as a fifteen-ish year customer, I'm disgusted and turned off by this move and won't have anything to do with paying money to see this fucker fight.

There are special circumstances and rehabilitation for DV offenders and extreme nuance to these incidents and IMO, contrition is a major factor- so I won't paint all individuals with the same brush here. Greg Hardy isn't that guy, Greg Hardy is a piece of shit and isn't going to change. I'm just gonna sit back, not pay for his fights and root like hell for his opponents to TBI the fuck out of him and hopefully ghost him from the sport. It makes the sport look so trashy, and we're talking about MMA here folks!
What do you make of the folks at ATT championing for him? I don't follow football, so I have no idea how he handled it there (though obviously I've heard not well!). At the same time, there are certainly people who show contrition in private life but continue to have contempt for the media. Is it possible he's one of those? If not, am I just going to have to sit with the fact that MMA culture forgives violent offenders in ways we shoudn't?

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!

Fucking Co signed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel