UFC on ESPN 2: Barboza vs Gaethje - Results and Post Fight Discussion (1 Viewer)

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
I think we should keep our heads cool on Justin right now. he whooped ass last night, and he is a wicked puncher with an obviously incredible chin.

But it almost seems like people are set and convinced this guy is going to be champ and that's that. We should also keep in mind that Justin is 2-2 over the last two years, and one of those guys is still in the UFC (Dustin).

I think Justin might capture the belt but it will be a very short lived reign because he lost the porrier fight convincingly 2 years ago and was one more loss away from looking a whole lot differently. Anyone that can take him down and work that game is going to be a whole lot harder for him to beat as well.

The one thing I'll say is I've warmed up to him a lot. Since he got beat a couple times and lost that undefeated tag I think he's looking at other aspects of his game, and you can hear it in his interviews now.

I am not 100% sold on the guy as a champion quality fighter, but i am most definitely sold on him bringing in big PPV buys which the UFC really needs and I'm hoping they can keep him in that role.

I don't know, I've got a whole lot of thoughts about him, but I'm not sure where he's going to land yet. What I do know is since that 'undefeated' chip is gone, I like him a whole lot better, and PRAY he starts to use his grappling more, because that dude is going to be the poster child for CTE and punch drunk and he doesn't have to be.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
I think we should keep our heads cool on Justin right now. he whooped ass last night, and he is a wicked puncher with an obviously incredible chin.

But it almost seems like people are set and convinced this guy is going to be champ and that's that. We should also keep in mind that Justin is 2-2 over the last two years, and one of those guys is still in the UFC (Dustin).

I think Justin might capture the belt but it will be a very short lived reign because he lost the porrier fight convincingly 2 years ago and was one more loss away from looking a whole lot differently. Anyone that can take him down and work that game is going to be a whole lot harder for him to beat as well.

The one thing I'll say is I've warmed up to him a lot. Since he got beat a couple times and lost that undefeated tag I think he's looking at other aspects of his game, and you can hear it in his interviews now.

I am not 100% sold on the guy as a champion quality fighter, but i am most definitely sold on him bringing in big PPV buys which the UFC really needs and I'm hoping they can keep him in that role.

I don't know, I've got a whole lot of thoughts about him, but I'm not sure where he's going to land yet. What I do know is since that 'undefeated' chip is gone, I like him a whole lot better, and PRAY he starts to use his grappling more, because that dude is going to be the poster child for CTE and punch drunk and he doesn't have to be.
I don't think he'll every be champion, but he'll never be in a boring fight.
[DOUBLEPOST=1554066843,1554066795][/DOUBLEPOST]Which in a lot of ways is even more valuable

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
I don't think he'll every be champion, but he'll never be in a boring fight.
[DOUBLEPOST=1554066843,1554066795][/DOUBLEPOST]Which in a lot of ways is even more valuable
I could see a lot of ways he could become champ. As long as whoever is at that particular time that he gets the shot can't get him on the ground he'll probably win.

the bottom line is Justin will never hold and retain a title because he's missing a part of his game (IMO). But time will tell.

Could be wrong, but we're talking about a guy that has substantial wrestling capabilities that lost two fights because he wouldn't use his wrestling. I'm not convinced he's even got enough control to fight smart. he fights caveman style.

I wish he would round out that game. the fuckin guy has the skills. but the UFC is likely WAY more interested in showcasing him in stand and bang fights because they're almost guaranteed a big draw.

EDIT:
Shit, not even 'likely'. I'd bet money that's how thy'll use him. notice he's already feeling slighted and passed up?

Poindexter

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1554087623,1554069822][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realized they mentioned that Big Dan had a quadruple bypass in February. Damn! No wonder why he slimmed down.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Edson Barboza welcomes newborn daughter Victoria hours after KO loss at UFC Philadelphia

[DOUBLEPOST=1554128327,1554128171][/DOUBLEPOST]Paul Felder, Karyn Bryant defend Justin Gaethje interview after UFC Philadelphia

Justin Gaethje criticizes UFC’s ‘ridiculous’ move of ranking Donald Cerrone above him

UFC lightweight contender Justin Gaethje scored a second consecutive first-round knockout win, this time against Edson Barboza. Currently ranked number eight in the UFC’s official rankings, “The Highlight” has some questions as to how things came about, especially with Donald Cerrone being ranked higher than him at number seven.

“UFC, what the hell are you thinking moving Donald Cerrone in front of me?” Gaethje said during his Octagon interview with Jon Anik. “He beat the number 15 guy and he just gets to jump ahead of me? You guys are crapping on every bit of… This is ridiculous.

“But, hey, on to the next one. There’s five or six guys in front of me, I want each and every one of them.”

Gaethje reiterated the same sentiments during his backstage interview with Megan Olivi.

“It’s just crazy to me to see these things happen, but I’m gonna go to war for myself,” he said. “They will pay me what I want to get paid, they will give me the fights I want. I deserve that now.”

The UFC’s rankings are compiled and aggregated by a media panel that currently consists of 14 members.

Gaethje’s win on Saturday night also marks his fifth straight post-fight bonus, this time for Fight of the Night.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Good night of fights but...

how the fuck does Ross Pearson still have a job?
I think because he was always competitive even in his losses. He hasn't been blown out like that I think ever. He's been finished but later in the fights he was competitive in. He's from the UK and I would believe has a decent following outside the states. This was his first fight in the US in over 3 years.

But after this, I could see him being cut. He wasn't competitive at all and is 2-7 in his last 9.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
I think because he was always competitive even in his losses. He hasn't been blown out like that I think ever. He's been finished but later in the fights he was competitive in. He's from the UK and I would believe has a decent following outside the states. This was his first fight in the US in over 3 years.

But after this, I could see him being cut. He wasn't competitive at all and is 2-7 in his last 9.
Yea I looked back at his record, it sucks but it's not dominated with KO losses like I thought it was. For some reason, and maybe it's because I don't watch the prelims like I used to so I'm not catching all of his fights, but I thought he was getting KTFO every time.

Sydman

I don’t know much about twitter but did the UFCs official twitter page @ the wrong account? I’ve seen some weird twitter handles but is Gaethjes handle spelled Gaethhe? Or did they just fuck up?

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
UFC on ESPN: Gaethje vs. Barboza averages 828,000 viewers, peaks at 1.4 million

The UFC’s second major show on ESPN television didn’t fare nearly as well as the inaugural one from two months ago.

Nielsen measured last Saturday’s UFC on ESPN: Gaethje vs. Barboza main card as averaging 828,000 viewers, with a rating of 0.26. That’s well down from the 1.46 million main card viewers for UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez on February 17th, with a rating of 0.59 despite competition from the NBA All-Star Game that Sunday evening.

For the Gaethje vs. Barboza main card, the main competition that night was the NCAA men’s basketball quarterfinals (otherwise known as the “Elite Eight”), as Texas Tech vs. Gonzaga averaged more than 7.7 million viewers, while Virginia vs. Purdue topped the cable programming with almost 10.5 million viewers and a 2.93 rating.

MMA Fighting’s Dave Meltzer has more details:

With the competition, the UFC drew an older audience and one where viewership concentrated on the main event rather than the complete show. The highest ratings were for viewers over the age of 50, which is rare for a UFC show.

The UFC only finished ninth in the 18-49 male demo for the day, because of all the basketball-related programming, a category that a UFC event would be expected most nights to battle for first place in.

Among the major markets, the UFC’s strongest marks were an 0.9 rating in Atlanta, 0.8 in Washington, D.C., and 0.6 in New York and San Francisco.

Justin Gaethje’s first-round KO of Edson Barboza peaked at 1.4 million viewers, so this top-heavy card had top-heavy viewership as well.

The two-hour preliminary card, which ran from 5-7 PM ET, averaged 480,000 viewers and a 0.15 rating, finishing 46th for cable ratings.

Immediately following the UFC was a Top Rank Boxing doubleheader that ultimately fizzled in terms of action, but nevertheless did pull in 655,000 viewers and a 0.17 rating for a card headlined by Oleksandr Gvozdyk’s injury TKO win over WBC light heavyweight title challenger Doudou Ngumbu. Top Rank ranked 33rd for ratings that day, so there was a significant dropoff in the 18-49 demo after the UFC event ended.

It should be noted that the next UFC broadcast on ESPN will have the NBA playoffs as the lead-in programming, so that should lead to strong viewership for the UFC 236 prelims on April 13th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel