UFC on ESPN+ 16: Cerrone vs Gaethje - Results & Discussion (Media day, Weigh ins, Fight night) (1 Viewer)

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor

Main Card (8 PM ET, ESPN+)

Donald Cerrone vs. Justin Gaethje
Glover Teixeira vs. Nikita Krylov
Todd Duffee vs. Jeff Hughes
Uriah Hall vs. Antonio Carlos Junior
Michel Pereira vs. Tristan Connolly
Misha Cirkunov vs. Jimmy Crute

Preliminary Card (5 PM ET, ESPN+)

Marcin Tybura vs. Augusto Sakai
Cole Smith vs. Miles Johns
Andrew Sanchez vs. Marvin Vettori
Hunter Azure vs. Brad Katona
Jordan Griffin vs. Chas Skelly
Ryan McDonald vs. Louis Smolka
Kyle Prepolec vs. Austin Hubbard
[DOUBLEPOST=1568298191,1568297991][/DOUBLEPOST]

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
Man, I cannot believe that Cowboy is fighting psychopath JG only THREE months after Ferg tried to introduce his eyeball to his brain. I don't think this was a good idea but more power to him. Cowboy has been in overdrive for so many years now. He has aged quite a bit from it all.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Joe Schilling: Justin Gaethje 'most hittable opponent' Donald Cerrone has ever faced

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Joe Schilling believes Donald Cerrone will be more than capable of handling Justin Gaethje’s pressure.

One of the main criticisms of Cerrone (36-12 MMA, 23-9 UFC) throughout his career is that he’s struggled to hold up when opponents hold his feet to the flame. Gaethje (20-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is one of the best at doing that, but Schilling, who works as Cerrone’s striking coach, said they’ve prepared accordingly.

“We’ve just been doing a whole lot of cardio,” Schilling told MMA Junkie on Wednesday. “We’ve been doing lots of high-altitude stuff, biking, doing sprints up mountains and (expletive). It’s been good. I feel like cardio is going to be huge factor in this fight.”

Cerrone vs. Gaethje headlines UFC on ESPN+ 16, which takes place Saturday at Rogers Arena and streams on ESPN+.

The anticipated matchup has a laundry list of impressive statistics behind it. However, one that stands out on Gaethje’s behalf is the highest rate of significant strikes landed per minute of any fighter in UFC history at 8.50. Oppositely, though, he absorbs an astounding 10.23 significant strikes per minute.

Cerrone said his plan for fight night is to “fight fire with fire.” Schilling agrees that’s the method to win, and he believes Gaethje’s willingness to take damage in order to give it will be his downfall.

“I think he’s also the most hittable opponent in history and by far the most hittable opponent ‘Cowboy’ has ever fought,” Schilling said. “It’s going to be a good fight, but I think it’s going to be fire with fire for sure.”

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
UFC on ESPN+ 16 weigh-in results: Cerrone, Gaethje official, but one fighter heavy

VANCOUVER – MMA Junkie was on scene and reporting live from Friday’s early and official UFC on ESPN+ 16 weigh-ins, where all but one fighter hit their marks for Saturday’s card.

In the main event, former title challenger Donald Cerrone (38-12 MMA, 23-9 UFC) takes on former WSOF champion Justin Gaethje (20-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC). “Cowboy” Cerrone weighed in about 15 minutes into the two-hour window and was 155.5 pounds. Gaethje was 155.5, as well, when he took the scale a little less than an hour into the proceedings. Only three fighters weighed in later than him.

In the co-feature, former light heavyweight title challenger Glover Teixeira (29-7 MMA, 12-5 UFC) meets Nikita Krylov (26-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Teixeira was 204.5; Krylov was a pound heavier at 205.5.

Only Michel Pereira (23-9 MMA, 1-0 UFC) missed weight for his welterweight bout against Tristan Connelly (13-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who is moving up from his natural home at lightweight to fight on just five days’ notice. Pereira weighed in at 172 pounds, a pound above the welterweight limit, with about seven minutes left in the two-hour window. And despite getting an additional hour to make weight, he chose to stop cutting. Instead, he’ll surrender 20 percent of his fight purse to Connelly.

The early weigh-ins took place at the UFC host hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and preceded the ceremonial weigh-ins for the fans, which take place at 7 p.m. ET at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. The same venue hosts Saturday’s event, which streams on ESPN+.
The full UFC on ESPN+ 16 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)

• Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Justin Gaethje (155.5)
  • Nikita Krylov (205.5) vs. Glover Teixeira (204.5)
  • Todd Duffee (244.5) vs. Jeff Hughes (251)
  • Tristan Connelly (169.5) vs. Michel Pereira (172)*
  • Uriah Hall (184) vs. Antonio Carlos Junior (185.5)
  • Misha Cirkunov (205.5) vs. Jim Crute (205)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 5 p.m. ET)

• Augusto Sakai (258) vs. Marcin Tybura (257.5)
  • Miles Johns (135.5) vs. Cole Smith (135)
  • Hunter Azure (135.5) vs. Brad Katona (135)
  • Jordan Griffin (145) vs. Chas Skelly (146)
  • Ryan MacDonald (135.5) vs. Louis Smolka (135.5)
  • Austin Hubbard (156) vs. Kyle Prepolec (155)
*Pereira missed the welterweight limit on his first attempt and was given one additional hour to make weight. However, he chose not to cut additional weight and will be fined 20 percent of his purse, which goes to Connelly.

VimyRidge

Not a great card, missing a bit in terms of top 5 ranked fighters, but not a bad card at all, 6 or so fights I am interested in.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Donald Cerrone reacts to BMF title talk
On November 2, in the main event of UFC 244 in New York City, Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal will battle for the newly conceived BMF title. BMF, for those unaware, stands for “bad motherf**ker.” If that term sounds familiar, it could be because it’s been associated with lightweight action-fighter Donald Cerrone for some time. He even calls his New Mexico MMA compound the BMF Ranch.

While you might expect Cerrone to be a little disgruntled about having this term commandeered, he’s actually not too bothered.

He reacted to all the BMF talk ahead of his UFC Vancouver fight with Justin Gaethje.

“It’s all good man. It is what it is,” Cerrone told MMA Fighting. “Doesn’t do me any good complaining about it. Masvidal and Diaz, they’re both badass dudes, so good for them. That’ll be a fight everyone wants to see.”

While Cerrone is irrefutably a bad motherf**ker, his priority is now glued to winning the undisputed lightweight title currently guarded by Khabib Nurmagomedov.

“There wasn’t really a moment that changed it for me,” he said. “I just thought the last thing to do in my legacy is definitely to earn the title. It sucks to have all these achievements and this great career and not end up with that. It’s something that I need.”
Donald Cerrone is aging like a fine wine. Fatherhood is doing him right.

Coming from a guy who used to dislike Donald.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568466597,1568429535][/DOUBLEPOST]

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
one else think that Gaethje has a good chance against Khabib? Strong wrestling and gas tank and toughness.
I would say Gaethje has a chance (not good chance) but I would base it on punching power and strong finisher not wrestling.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568499811,1568498369][/DOUBLEPOST]Skelly burnt out his arms. He's done.

VimyRidge

I would say Gaethje has a chance (not good chance) but I would base it on punching power and strong finisher not wrestling.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568499811,1568498369][/DOUBLEPOST]Skelly burnt out his arms. He's done.
I was thinking more in terms of defensive wrestling. How would you rank his defensive wrestling against the other 155ers?
[DOUBLEPOST=1568500492][/DOUBLEPOST]Skelly 30-27 or 29-28 but feel like he is going to lose a split decision.

VimyRidge

Gaethje almost never gives up a takedown. I would rate it very good.
I might be underrating Khabib's striking, but kind of think that someone with power and decent striking who can stop the takedown will beat him.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568501326,1568500722][/DOUBLEPOST]"Hunter Azure had to quit wrestling because of injury but then found MMA....." If you have injuries that prevent you from wrestling, how is MMA easier on your body.... I guess there is a bit less grappling but still.....
[DOUBLEPOST=1568502662][/DOUBLEPOST]Could have been scored many ways:
29-28 Katona
30-27 Azure
29-28 Azure

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
Have to admit, I do enjoy listening to DC talk about the wrestling aspect the same way I do Joe with BJJ. I mean Joe is 10X better IMO, but I don't care for DC. for these new guys he's pretty knowledgeable on the fighters.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568502732,1568502683][/DOUBLEPOST]
I might be underrating Khabib's striking, but kind of think that someone with power and decent striking who can stop the takedown will beat him.
[DOUBLEPOST=1568501326,1568500722][/DOUBLEPOST]"Hunter Azure had to quit wrestling because of injury but then found MMA....." If you have injuries that prevent you from wrestling, how is MMA easier on your body.... I guess there is a bit less grappling but still.....
[DOUBLEPOST=1568502662][/DOUBLEPOST]Could have been scored many ways:
29-28 Katona
30-27 Azure
29-28 Azure
The majority of the reason Khabib's striking works so well is the incredible amount of respect people give his take downs. I'm sure most would rather take a punch than a take down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel