UFC finally books Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier trilogy for August 15 [updated] (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Dana White confirms Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier trilogy in the works
It appears Daniel Cormier will be sticking around for at least one more fight.

On Thursday, UFC president Dana White confirmed the promotion’s plans to book Cormier in a trilogy fight against reigning heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic when both are healthy enough to compete again.

“Stipe is recovering from that fight. He’s got some bumps and bangs from that fight. We’re waiting for him to heal and then yeah, we’re going to do the trilogy,” White told Barstool Sports.

Cormier knocked out Miocic in their first meeting in 2018 before he suffered the same fate in their rematch in August at UFC 241. After a strong start to the fight, Cormier lost steam when Miocic began punishing him to the body, which eventually led to a fourth-round knockout as the Ohio native reclaimed the heavyweight title.

Following the fight, Cormier said he would need time to contemplate his future after previously teasing that retirement could be looming after the rematch with Miocic was finished.

Cormier has not publicly stated that he intends to fight again but obviously White appears ready to book the trilogy with Miocic as soon as both fighters are ready to return to action.

As for Miocic, he has consistently shrugged off questions about who he wanted to face next after avenging his prior defeat to Cormier in August.

Some believed that Francis Ngannou deserved the next title shot after he rattled off three straight wins in a row with a trio of knockouts against Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos and Curtis Blaydes. Unfortunately for him, it appears the UFC is planning to book Miocic vs. Cormier 3 instead.

Because the fighters are still healing, White couldn’t give a timeline when he hoped to book the trilogy, but given the landscape remaining in 2019, it’s likely Miocic vs. Cormier 3 wouldn’t happen until sometime next year.

Noise

Ruido
Meh, closest contender in Francis should have to work his way up back to Stipe (even if that means another fight, or he can wait). I mean, Daniel's retiring and has an insane resume at heavyweight; versus Stipe, the greatest UFC heavyweight in history. Don't mind the book being closed in a trilogy fight.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Meh, closest contender in Francis should have to work his way up back to Stipe (even if that means another fight, or he can wait). I mean, Daniel's retiring and has an insane resume at heavyweight; versus Stipe, the greatest UFC heavyweight in history. Don't mind the book being closed in a trilogy fight.
It's hard to argue that anyone is getting screwed, but Ngannou is on a three fight winning streak that includes two of the closest ranked other fighters (JDS & Blaydes). Aside from DC, there's not much for him left.

And I would enjoy seeing DC versus Ngannou.

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
Makes perfect sense to me. If there was ever a depiction of what kinds of fights warrant a 3rd fight, this is an absolute prime example. DC embarrasses Stipe, the best HW champ in quite some time, by KOing him in the first round of their first fight. Stipe then gets his ass whooped almost the entire duration of the rematch but pulls a rabbit out of a hat in the 4th round and wins with a spectacular comeback KO, becoming only the 2nd man to ever finish DC, and without any asterisks. Those two fights were an amazing sequence of action.

It’s a no brainer that there must be a trilogy. Winner takes all.

Sydman

Sucks for ngannou. Let him knock Hardy out in the meantime I guess.
Really sucks for Ngannou. In the top 8 the only people he hasn’t beaten are Volkov, who is fighting JDS next, and Lewis who is on a 2 fight skid. This might put Ngannou on the shelf for a while simply because there is no one for him to fight.

thumper

Staff member
its the right to make. but for some reason I ended up not wanting daniel to lose. Not sure why, he's a cheat, but after all the juice jones stuff, i kind of started liking DC.

but I don't think he'll win this. I still think the thing i always did. 9 times out of 10 stipe would win
[DOUBLEPOST=1569085087,1569084927][/DOUBLEPOST]
It’s 1-1 with each guy having a finish. Let them determine who is the HW GOAT while both are still willing and able.
they're too far apart age wise to think like that. if dc were 5 years younger.
i think at HW years between 35 and 40 are a LONG way apart
[DOUBLEPOST=1569085144][/DOUBLEPOST]not to mention i have yet to find a single reason to disllike stipe too. he's a great champion

Ramma

Judo Throws Arouse Me
We really don't need to see a trilogy play out right away. Stipe is going to win again.

99% of the time, whoever wins the 2nd fight, wins the 3rd fight, in a trilogy. Cormier should focus on a few good/big pay day fights before his time is up

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
If DC is retiring, and beats Stipe, then he just drops the belt?

Noise

Ruido
Yea, why not? Francis isn't worth the check or the upshot, and the Jones** fight won't happen at heavyweight so that'd be a wrap I think.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Daniel Cormier confirms trilogy with Stipe Miocic will be his retirement fight
Former two-division champion Daniel Cormier wants to end his career on a high note by winning a trilogy against Stipe Miocic. And he hopes to do it at UFC 245.

One month after Miocic defeated Cormier for the UFC heavyweight belt, “DC” confirmed he’s pushing for a rematch with the champ on Dec. 14. And it will be his last fight.

“I’m going to fight this guy again, and my intention is to fight him in the right way,” Cormier said on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show. “Hopefully that’s enough to get my hand raised.

“But I’ll go fight him again, (and) win or lose, I’m not fighting again. This will be the only time I ever step foot in the Octagon again.”

Questions surrounded Cormier’s future after his loss of the belt, which came after a strong early effort was met by a brilliant Miocic comeback at UFC 241.

Cormier said he would consult with his family before deciding whether or not to continue his career. He’s previously declared he’d retire before he turned 40; he celebrated that milestone in March.

UFC president Dana White confirmed last week a pending trilogy between Cormier and Miocic; the UFC executive said the champ is healing from the title-winning fight—the second time he’s held UFC gold—and will return after that.

UFC 245 takes place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, a venue where Cormier has had great fortune. In July 2018, he knocked out Miocic there to become the second two-division champ in the sport’s history.

Another trilogy with longtime rival and current light heavyweight champ Jon Jones also beckons for Cormier. But the former Olympic wrestler’s priority is to correct his immediate setback.

“A true heavyweight rivalry will carry a sport, and I think right now we have that with Stipe and I,” he said. “I intend to go back and get the job done and fight the way I train to fight.”

Cormier attributed his loss to lapse in his game plan—a flaw he immediately pointed out after the fight in not listening to his cornermen—and said he’d been dealing with the grave illness of his father up to the week of the fight. His father recently passed away after a battle with cancer.

The former champ-champ took nothing away from Miocic, but said he could have done better.

“That was just great work by him,” Cormier said. “It goes to the fighting mindset and the ability of Stipe Miocic. He went hard body shot. And the one that hurt me, instead of chasing that again, he went up top.”

In a rematch, Cormier said, “I’m not saying I can just go grab Stipe Miocic and throw him down at will, but I can do a lot of things better than I did on August 17.”

Swiftboy

First Prestige
but for some reason I ended up not wanting daniel to lose. Not sure why, he's a cheat, but after all the juice jones stuff, i kind of started liking DC.
I'm the same! Was never a big fan but then all of the sudden I didn't want him to lose. And it's not like I even HATE Jones like some people do. I think it was that moment when Dana had to tell Cormier the fight with Jones was off because Jones got popped (if I'm remembering correctly). The raw emotion he showed, just slamming his foot against the ground like a big dork, made me at least appreciate his desire. Haven't cheered against him since (although I respect Stipe alot as well).

When you say DC is a cheat what do you mean? The towel thing or is there something else?

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1569466590,1569417215][/DOUBLEPOST]Stipe Miocic not expected to return until 2020 due to eye injury sustained in Daniel Cormier rematch
On Tuesday, Miocic’s manager Jim Walter of Kaulig Sports and Entertainment confirmed that the two-time champion was still recovering from injuries suffered in his last fight with Cormier from August that would likely keep him sidelined through the end of the year.

According to Walter, Miocic was dealing with the fallout from an eye poke that hindered his vision during and after the fight with Cormier at UFC 241, which led to a procedure being done on the Cleveland native after the fight.

“Mr. Miocic sustained a major retina injury from multiple eye pokes during his bout at UFC 241,” Walter said in a statement initially reported by ESPN.

“Our client’s health and safety is our top priority. We are excited for him to return to action when he is healthy to compete in his seventh consecutive world title fight.”

Nebraska

Poindexter For President
Site Donor
NFL S.P. Champion
Health and safety are our top priorities for our punch drunk, marble mouthed, meal ticket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kano wrote on Karen's profile.
Are you the Karen from the internet?
I'll come running to tie your shoes.
God damn your righteous hand
I was talking like two hands knocking, yelling "let me in, let me in, please come out."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks