The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Went back to playing MK11 and it has my vote for the worst best game of all-time. I do not even mind the monetization aspect of the game given the height of the game's polish and performance. Totally justified because everything, EVERYTHING, is on one point from a visual, sound, and technical standpoint.

My giant gripe is how absolutely terrible the game is at teaching you how to play it and how miserable the Tower experience is. It wouldn't be so bad if 90% of the shit you want to unlock didn't come from the towers. And it is just the worst experience from the standpoint of a deep fighting system that wants you to eschew it completely for bullshit meta item mechanics. It's unbelievable that they would create a product of this quality and then build the towers how they are.

The story mode is fantastic but it's very finite. Obviously the appeal of a modern fighter is online play, but that's never been fun for me. I do like single player challenges but that's not what the towers are. They're utter nonsense, even apart from the grind, the way to succeed through them is to not play the fighting part and rely on items that are essentially add on special projectiles that take no skill to execute. I forgot just how offensive the system is and it's a damn shame because there's no reason for it.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I played a little MK11 recently too. I tried for 45 minutes to do a fatality and failed every time, despite the game telling you in the menus how to do it. No idea what I’m doing wrong.

I played around with single player mode a little bit, fighting with Robocop and Terminator. Seems like MK10 had better “extra” characters because Robocop and Terminator felt extremely tight and weren’t very much fun to play with.

I am gonna dig into the story mode when I have more time.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I don't have an issue with inputs or mechanics. Like I'm never going to get down a perfect block or even remember to break out from a combo, but I can execute strings and krushing blows on demand. Fatalities and Brutalities also aren't an issue. That's not my beef. My issue is the tower system could be an opportunity to teach you effective countering and punishing. It could be a system that contextually guides you through the frame data. The sort of stuff that makes a transition to online more likely for casual players. But even if we didn't want to play online, I want a more challenging single player experience that doesn't rely on modifying the game into some sort of arcadey/mobile game nonsense or just relies on input reading.

Way back the original Soul Edge (Blade) had an amazing single player character story system where fights were based on specific win conditions. I think one of the MK games copied it actually. And while I wouldn't forfeit the produced MK stories for it - I see no reason it can't exist as the Tower challenge. I just want to fight, I don't want to have to have the screen black out or my controls switched or be frozen/poisoned/burnt over time, I don't want to dodge pumpkins and missiles, and witches, and all this stupid shit. I'd much rather have to clear a tower by executing a certain punish or landing a compound string or performing a certain amount of Krushing blows or counters or something that isn't item dependent.

Or at least just fucking sell me skin packs. They won't because they know then no one would play these stupid fucking towers.

Bran

Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?
Soul Calibur 6 has been an incredible fighting game with the deepest single player mode I've encountered. MK9, X and 11 have better stories, but as far as playing an actual story for each individual character, SC6 is incredible.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I wanna see a game like Tao Feng adapted to modern times. I wanna see a dude get his arm broken and then the limb is useless for the rest of the fight.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Bushido Blade was a pretty awesome series at the time but it was pretty paper thin in terms of content. There's only so many times you can run around the level for 15 minutes to turn on a dime and one-shot your opponent. You kinda had to make your own story out of the game which was cool but who the fuck has an imagination anymore?
Post automatically merged:

Soul Calibur 6 has been an incredible fighting game with the deepest single player mode I've encountered. MK9, X and 11 have better stories, but as far as playing an actual story for each individual character, SC6 is incredible.
I think Tekken 7 is pretty much the same way. Mechanically I jive with NRS games. I want a better option to explore what they've built. The Krypt is shit and the Towers are just nonsense. Having contextual character battles, historical or otherwise, which specific win conditions and even straight on-screen text over character voicing it'd of been preferable. If they wanted to keep players playing then simply having round robin or team-tag coop online for challenge towers would have worked. They put the maximum amount of programming effort into the Towers with the minimal amount of creativity.

It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
I used to love playing virtua fighter in the arcade. It was a super shallow game but I was really good at timing and juggling people out of the ring so I had a blast making people throw away their quarters.

Ultimate MK3 is the end all be all

Bran

Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?
I used to love playing virtua fighter in the arcade. It was a super shallow game but I was really good at timing and juggling people out of the ring so I had a blast making people throw away their quarters.

Ultimate MK3 is the end all be all
Haha, I was just playing VF2 and 5. They’re in Yakuza: Like a Dragon since SEGA made it

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
I have been playing a lot of Rome Total War Remastered.

You checkin' it out @disposableassassin ?
Not yet. I'm stoked for it but I've got alot of other stuff taking up my free time right now. I'll get around to it at some point. Rome was the second in the series I had played back in the day. Medieval was the one that got me started.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
Not yet. I'm stoked for it but I've got alot of other stuff taking up my free time right now. I'll get around to it at some point. Rome was the second in the series I had played back in the day. Medieval was the one that got me started.
I'm the same.

My father, older brother and I all played the first Medieval Total War. I asked for the Viking Invasion expansion pack for my birthday, but the store my father ordered it from fucked up and got the regular Medieval. So as a replacement from the store we got the newly released Rome Total War, to make up for it.

Loved it, my favourite Total War until Warhammer 2.

The remaster is a lot of fun, clocked 50hours in the past 10 days. It's Rome with a few new features but a new coat of paint.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
I'm the same.

My father, older brother and I all played the first Medieval Total War. I asked for the Viking Invasion expansion pack for my birthday, but the store my father ordered it from fucked up and got the regular Medieval. So as a replacement from the store we got the newly released Rome Total War, to make up for it.

Loved it, my favourite Total War until Warhammer 2.

The remaster is a lot of fun, clocked 50hours in the past 10 days. It's Rome with a few new features but a new coat of paint.
Warhammer 2 is one of my favorite games. The total war series is just one of the best in gaming.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Anyone going to play Biomutant? I have been waiting for the game to come out for years but it is finally coming out at the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rammstein's "Deutschland" is the best music video ever.
Ya'll are so lucky today, you don't know how good you have it. I was born in 1932, we were so dumb, we listened to tap dancers on the radio.
Bandcamp is bad for my wallet.
The trick to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmcgregor
Top Bottom