The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread (1 Viewer)

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I started death stranding and after two hours of kojima cutscenes I'm still wondering why.
I want to play it but I am going to wait for it to go down a few bucks first. It looks like a game that can be really addicting or just tedious boredom. Based on streams and comments I have seen, people either really love it or are just bored to tears by it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
That's pretty much all they do. They're cashing out on their IPs. I'm not in support of their practices but its their right to do it. I'd like to see them sell the IPs vs. keeping them if they're not going to develop any games. It's not like Konami is synonymous with quality.

Kojima has Sony's backing (for now) to create whatever he wants. I don't know how well Death Stranding sold. It's critically divisive because of the game loop and the story(?) but everything comes down to sales. Kojima's creative freedom with Sony only extends for as far as his games will sell. If Death Stranding did GoW number it's likely that Kojima will continue down the path of developing his sexual repression into new games.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Defending the pass on Madden 20 is impossible to do on a consistent basis. I find myself completely fucking helpless defending the pass against good teams. I don't know if it's just because the Raiders secondary are terrible or if it's a game mechanic. I'm 6-6 for my first franchise season and I already know that if I'm playing a winning team, I won't be able to stop their passing game. It's frustrating.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I beat Fallen Order and really began to hate the experience after a while. I think as a Star Wars story it was strong enough to exist on its own without needing any movie tie ins. I get that the average Star Wars fan lives for the pandering and the perpetual fan service. There are no new ideas with the main continuity because people desperately need to see how ALL events link to Luke and Vader and the Emperor and Obi Wan. For a second I thought I was going to get to experience the story as its own thing without a cameo of any kind but nope.. you paid your money here's your obligatory, nonsensical, unnecessary original trilogy cameo that just interjects itself into the conclusion of the story. Because ain't it cool?

Thanks guys. I mean I suffered through this half-baked Sekiro clone for 25 hours. I endured all the vines because the story bits actually had me invested. The characters were quite lovely. This is the closest anything has felt to Star Wars since the Old Republic MMO but the tedium of that gameplay was too much to deal with. The pain of the gameplay in Fallen Order is a distant second to that but still.. it's frustratingly under-developed. I didn't enjoy a single boss fight. I never found a combination of force powers to use in any of the main fights that showcased any real depth to the combat mechanics. But I'd live with all that if you could just write a conclusion logically consistent to these character without having to rely on the continually retconned you-know-who.

I think the Force Unleashed was in the same boat but it was built around the relationship between Master and Apprentice from the start of the game. The emphasis on combat over puzzles or platforming was also a better game design choice. There needs to be a happy medium between the god that was Starkiller and pleb that was Cal Cestus. Having the ability to run faster, jump higher, having more creativity with the force, a bigger pool of it for fuck's sake, and the ability to pick and choose your attacks ala something like Absolver would have been fantastic.

Western studios cannot seem to program AI worth a shit. Help me out, what's the last Western developed game with a boss fight worth a shit? The boss fights in this game were so dull and uninteresting I couldn't wait for them to be over.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10 with all 6 points going towards the story. I hated playing it after a time. I hated the faux momentum. I hated the limited powers. I hated the platforming. I hated the puzzle solving. I loved the environments. I loved the character designs and textures, even though the performance of the game on console is trash which is surprising for Respawn. Titanfall is extremely optimized on console. I hated the concluding events. All the people that lost their minds when it happened.. you're the reason Star Wars is a giant pile of redundant shit. You're the reason the movies suck and the only interesting stuff has been in the animated series and the old BioWare/Obsidian games. Anything not concentrating on the main continuity has been pretty interesting. But the story can never stay in that direction without having to pull back to Vader, Yoda, the Emperor, Luke, or Obi-Wan.

And it's so fucking disappointing because it one big ball of wasted potential. Just like this game. I didn't love Sekiro by any stretch but there's a precision to the combat that's as rewarding as any story or character element in the game. I don't know what the closest approximation would be for other, more popular titles. It's like a perfect combo chain in a fighting game satisfying or going on a crazy Tetris run when you get in the zone or beating an insanely hard Mario Maker level. It's that kind of achievement feeling when you so thoroughly master the combat rhythm. It's not a system I would ape. It seems like one of the hardest to try and copy. And it shows when an elite studio like Respawn falls on their face with their shitty 3rd person combat.

The Witcher 3's combat, while arcadey, would have been the ideal system to copy. The way Geralt moves and the way the animations play out in paced coordination, it'd of been perfect.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I figured you wouldn't get it because of that. But the difficulty and gameplay is right up your alley.
I don't think it's that difficult because you get a dedicated AI companion that can rez you. You can play solo however and that ups the challenge. I'm just not a huge fan of the game's style. I see the appeal and have heard it's a solid game but I don't get into anime melodramatic.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I don't think it's that difficult because you get a dedicated AI companion that can rez you. You can play solo however and that ups the challenge. I'm just not a huge fan of the game's style. I see the appeal and have heard it's a solid game but I don't get into anime melodramatic.
I watched Squilla do a blind run and I know it is difficult because he died a lot, lol. He chose the solo route. I think you should check out the boss fights at least. I think you will appreciate them.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Dmod was a fan of the bosses I think. I started to watch a little of his boss rankings for Code Vein but didn't want to spoil anything in the off chance I ended up playing it.

I don't know what it is about Japanese developers but they still care and are capable of making quality boss fights. I think the God of War series was the last Western games that had memorable and challenging bosses. Though for me that doesn't include the recent entry where there were practically no bosses and you fought multiple versions of the same kind with the valkyries.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Dmod was a fan of the bosses I think. I started to watch a little of his boss rankings for Code Vein but didn't want to spoil anything in the off chance I ended up playing it.

I don't know what it is about Japanese developers but they still care and are capable of making quality boss fights. I think the God of War series was the last Western games that had memorable and challenging bosses. Though for me that doesn't include the recent entry where there were practically no bosses and you fought multiple versions of the same kind with the valkyries.
Squilla scored it an 8 out of 10 and he said he doesn't think he will ever give a game a perfect 10. He said it plays a little like Souls but it is really its own game. He like you is a Fromsoft fanboy, so I figured if he liked it and had a challenge with it, you might enjoy it too. Though I know you are no anime fan, lol.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Squilla scored it an 8 out of 10 and he said he doesn't think he will ever give a game a perfect 10. He said it plays a little like Souls but it is really its own game. He like you is a Fromsoft fanboy, so I figured if he liked it and had a challenge with it, you might enjoy it too. Though I know you are no anime fan, lol.
Yeah I can tolerate DBZ but outside of that I don't go gah-gah for Japanese anime bullshit. I don't begrudge anyone else for liking it, the art styles are often awesome but I can't stomach anime melodrama and the endless plot convolutions. It physically makes me nauseous. I was following the game in the initial development then when I realized it was going to be anime-souls I was out. I also can't seem to get into 2D souls though I hear Blasphemous is quite good.

When the Surge 2 is 20 bucks that'll be the next souls-like I get into. And while I love From Soft I'm not a fan boy of theirs by any means. I do not like Sekiro and I do not think Dark Souls was all that great outside of its level design, which is some of the best in gaming. I actively hate Dark Souls 2 as well. But I do worship at the alter of Miyazaki-san so there's that to consider. Bloodborne is best game. Dark Souls 3 is best in-genre.

I'm going back to ACO to play through the DLC I got on sale. I'm also playing NBA2K20 but just a season/league with Portland (MELO!) so I don't have to deal with their garbage gambling and macro/microtransactional bullshit.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
True. I should have said Mizugaki fan boy. My bad, lol.
I just started Borderlands 3. It is fun so far and the sense of humor is right up my alley.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
I've never played a borderlands game really I tried the first one but hated it. Claptrap is fucking garbage.

The girl I'm seeing is a gamer and wants to play Red Dead Online and No Mans Sky with me so that is exciting. I don't normally do much online outside of trying to sail a ship in sea of thieves with my boys. All they do is argue. I'm looking forward to playing these games we both enjoy together and bonding with her over running moonshine and building space bases. This will be the best gaming experience of my life in all likelihood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kano wrote on Karen's profile.
Are you the Karen from the internet?
I'll come running to tie your shoes.
God damn your righteous hand
I was talking like two hands knocking, yelling "let me in, let me in, please come out."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks