The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
About a year agoI tried to play the big Star Wars game that is their Axis and Allies version with ~150 pieces

By the time we were done setting it all up, I already wished I was doing something else.
That became 40k for me.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I like how they whored up Femme Shep. I prefer her prior, more prime Lucy Lawless facial features.

The thought of going through parts of ME1 again is tough. ME2 I could play endlessly. ME3 is also rough if you forget what choice combos to have ticked off. I think I saved Tali's people and the Geth the one time. You still lose Legion though. Best character next to Thane.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
I have no hope of remembering all the choices I made. I saved the geth. I remember that. ME2 will always be the meat of the trilogy. I actually didn't really like the first one and if memory serves I didn't even finish it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I appreciate the storytelling in the first game, it had less of an overarching narrative slant and was more focused on your character interactions and world building. The second game is unquestionably my favorite but it is very edgelordey at times. You can tell it pulled heavily from TNG episodes especially stuff with the Borg. The first game felt more like a cult science fiction movie.

I don't really want to revisit putzing around in the Mako trying to find resources on planets and fighting Threshers. There's also really cool side missions you can miss if you don't do that, there's a ton of stuff involving Cerberus in that regard that isn't apart of the main stories.

It's worth the replay but it better be under the best possible circumstances. I tried years ago to replay it on PC and nope. It's a fucking mess.

Mass Effect 3 is a dark game. It was the wrong tone imo for the series. It was way too cynical at times and the character focus was lost for this sweeping arch that had no time to be realized. The rushed to the conclusion of the Reapers, horrendous decision making by EA and Bioware. There's no reason you couldn't have another character driven narrative ala 2. Why they had to rush to a conclusion is beyond me especially since Andromeda had no story. So much so they copy and pasted it into Anthem. Shit is embarrassing.

I could do another Control-ending run of Mass Effect 3. I think enough time has passed for me to enjoy and I never played the ME3 DLC so that would be a first run. The problem is the overwhelming sense of lost opportunities given how good the character interactions are in ME2. I think in half of all my playthroughs I romanced Jack and she's not an option for even a crewmate in 3. She gets a thankless easter egg of being turned into a phantom if you don't help her. That's the kind of cynical nonsense I hate with 3. It's not the ending. I was happy to see an end for Shepard and Control is an AMAZING ending. It's the overall journey. Too many character just aren't done justice.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
They tightened up the combat mechanics in 2. I hope that translates to the remaster for 1. The story was great but I just wasn't into the way the shooting felt.

I played Andromeda a couple years ago and I know it had a disastrous launch but gameplay wise now that it works I found it to be alot of fun. The story wasn't the greatest but it worked well enough.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I started Immortals Fenyx Rising. It's like God of War meets Lego games. The puzzles aren't interesting and the combat isn't great, but it's pretty and the story might be interesting? So I'm going to keep playing it. I'm a dedicated motherfucker.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
Got a new Cyberpunk play through goin'. Takin' my time, certainly leveled up a lot more prior to finishing the first act.

Some bits of the first act feel a little slow, but only because it's my second play through. Certainly didn't feel that way during my first go around.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I started Immortals Fenyx Rising. It's like God of War meets Lego games. The puzzles aren't interesting and the combat isn't great, but it's pretty and the story might be interesting? So I'm going to keep playing it. I'm a dedicated motherfucker.
The story is my favorite part. Plus the interaction between the gods is great.
Post automatically merged:

Lol I'm playing Bloodborne.
Been thinking of giving it another go. What build are you going with this time?

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
The story is my favorite part. Plus the interaction between the gods is great.
I changed my mind about it. I didn't really enjoy the prologue and felt the gameplay wouldn't be compelling. But afterwards, it feels like Zelda meets Playstation. I really enjoy it. There's no guidance so I can quickly end up over my head (my second or third mission was freeing Ares and I had to quit because I clearly arrived too early in the game as I die in one hit). But this freedom makes the game super enjoyable so far.

I'm hoping my current impression is my lasting impression.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I changed my mind about it. I didn't really enjoy the prologue and felt the gameplay wouldn't be compelling. But afterwards, it feels like Zelda meets Playstation. I really enjoy it. There's no guidance so I can quickly end up over my head (my second or third mission was freeing Ares and I had to quit because I clearly arrived too early in the game as I die in one hit). But this freedom makes the game super enjoyable so far.

I'm hoping my current impression is my lasting impression.
I play it on Switch but it definitely has a Zelda like vibe to it. Zelda with commentary. The back and forth between the gods is what really makes the game for me. They are hilarious.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I started playing Mortal Shell, it's a soul-like that's well received by the souls community. I wasn't very taken with it when I watched some early streams but it's not half bad. The combat is basic but very enjoyable, especially the way you can chain defense into offense. It is a slower paced combat game. The initial hurdle I had was understanding when enemies would just straight up tank a hit and when you could stagger them. Once you get a feel for their "poise" mechanic the combat is more enjoyable.

The world is not. The world is really uninspired, heavily influenced by Dark Souls 1, and just drab and dull. I will give it credit in that it provides space to fight. The Surge and Surge 2, while having some really fun combat and great animations, is the most claustrophobic series in gaming. There's no fucking space to fight. I'm torn between whether I like the verticality of The Surge 2 or the open spacing design of Mortal Shell better. In both games you're going to be backtracking heavily and you're going to get lost every 10 minutes. I dislike this aspect of souls-like. Linear level design can work just fine provided it's done well.

Another knock against Mortal Shell is the sound design. You may think I'm nitpicking but a big part of playing a souls-like is you know.. hearing enemies before they rip your nuts off. The sounds of an enemy right in front of you can come from several directions. It'll sound like someone is closing in behind you after you dispatch the enemy in front of you only for you to realize that's just that enemies death cries. It actually makes the game more difficult if (like me) you rely on sound to identify traps and ambush mobs.

MS is somewhere between Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro-lite. It's not as hard as Sekiro and the level design isn't as good as Dark Souls 1 but the combat is much better. You don't have to worry about equipment, just items. There's only 4 weapons in the game but they seem diverse enough. I prefer specific weapons that offer diverse gameplay then endless clones of the same weapon type. But given that's it's 30 bucks and relying on what appear to be left over assets from Infinity Blade I can't be too critical. It accomplishes a lot but it doesn't really advance the genre. It's fun and frustrating. So, it's a souls-like. It's much better imo than a Lords of The Fallen. I think The Surge 2 is a cut above it in terms of consistent hitboxing, weapon diversity, and animations but The Surge has really shitty boss design and some trifling ass maze-like areas.

I'd recommend Mortal Shell for the price provided you're okay with being lost and confused. And you want a challenge.

Goremire

Site Donor
I like how they whored up Femme Shep. I prefer her prior, more prime Lucy Lawless facial features.

The thought of going through parts of ME1 again is tough. ME2 I could play endlessly. ME3 is also rough if you forget what choice combos to have ticked off. I think I saved Tali's people and the Geth the one time. You still lose Legion though. Best character next to Thane.
Yeah replaying ME1 is gonna be fucking grim. I tried it on PC last year and made it maybe 6 hours. Wish they'd put a 'cinematic mode' in the revamped ME1 like they did with ME3, where combat is trivial and you're just zooming from cutscene to cutscene 'experiencing the story'.

I didn't mind the tone in ME3 so much. I think that it does a great job of depicting the weight and desperation of an apocalyptic event. But I agree it did sacrifice the character driven narrative that made ME2 so great because... Why? No reason they couldn't have made more use of the wonderful characters they had set up already. It's the end of days and should be grimdark but as a player, I want all my friends and teammates around me when the end comes, to face it together no matter the outcome.

Which leads me to James. He's straight outta the trash tier of squadmates and if I had the chance to Virmire his ass I would do so in a heartbeat. "Heeeey Lola...! " no James, fuck you you greasy fuck. You fucking trash-ass, low rent, zero care factor scrub I don't care how badly my squad balance needs a tank on Insanity I won't pick you on principal.

That whole subplot about him will-he-or-won't-he join the N7 Program? Who gives a fuck? Like there's gonna BE an N7 Program even if we WIN. What a waste of gameplay. I wish there was an option to approve hid transfer mid game so I could get that goddamned ball-licker gone from my ship.

Javik is kinda novel at least as he is a Prothean, and watching him shatter Liara's illusions about how the Protheans were not gentle, benevolent mentors for other species but were actually hardcore space fascists is always entertaining. But again, why waste the narrative bandwith? Thane, Jack, Mordin (he has to die but still I'd take him for half the game, no question) Kasumi, Zaeed, Miranda already had solid foundations as dope characters and all got relegated to Easter eggs or bit players. At least Javik was DLC unlike that walking oxygen thief James.

I do wish the original ending which apparently was going to focus on the Keepers and something to do with dark matter (tying up the loose end from Hagstrom) had been run with. Anything would be better than what we got. You know your ending sucks balls when an admittedly pretty thin fan theory (that the entire ending after Shephard gets hit by Harbinger's beam takes place in his/her mind and is the Reapers last ditch attempt to Indoctrinate Shephard into picking Control or Dominate) is a better, more logical and lore friendly fit than what we got.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
Outside of TW: Warhammer 3 , I can't think of any games coming out this year for me to get excited for. Maybe an expansion to Cyberpunk 2077?

I don't believe there is any new main series Pokemon game scheduled, is there gonna be another Doom Eternal DLC?

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
About to finish Mortal Shell. I will not be new game plusing it. The Devs did a tremendous job with many aspects of the game, but there's one GIANT area that, were I ever to play again, I'd gouge out my eyes. It's the sort of level/area/stage you'd find in an asset flip. It's so bad. It's so very very bad.

I don't see a lot of replay value since there's little to no customization. It's a great proof of concept game for a souls-like. One of the best out there but I enjoyed the Surge 2 more.

I look forward to what they can build upon. I'd like to see the studio come into their own and not rely so heavily on the initial Souls games.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Finished the game. Horrendous final boss. Beat him on the first try but it's an incredibly obnoxious fight. I really wish they would have been no final boss and they spent the development time and resources elsewhere. I'd of been fine with a story choice at the end rather than one of the worst boss fights in any soulslike I've played.

7.5/10 though. Solid effort, worth 30 bucks, not a very deep game but enjoyable. There's about 3 really solid boss fights and I really enjoyed exploring two of the "tower" areas. They were atmospheric and well-designed for a budget team. The combat gets very repetitive and there's little to spice it up. The parry system is fine. The hardening system is fun, well-integrated in terms of using it offensively and defensively, but there's still not real depth or customization. That doesn't prohibit a playthrough but does kill replayability. The shells themselves aren't really all that diverse to warrant multiple playthroughs. I think hardcore soul players will favor Tiel, metagamers Solomon, and most everyone else Eredrim who is a god damn beast. I'm pretty sure Eredrim or Solomon with the Hammer and Chisel are likely broken combinations.

The balancing in the game is way off. The best weapon is far and away the Hammer and Chisel because of its speed, its resolve generation, and therefore, it's ability to spam specials (during which you are invulnerable). The Martyr Blade is the best looking in my opinion but all but useless because it just doesn't do enough damage to justify the stamina cost. Completing the game with the Martyr Blade or the Mace is likely the equivalent of a challenge run. I completed the game with the Hallow or Hollowblade only partially upgraded because I went full Martyr before I realized it sucked. Seems like simple patching could have corrected this but the Devs either didn't care to or ran out of resources to support the game post release.

So starts strong, really drags when you hit the Eternal Nrgalynanxthalanxaous or whatever the fuck it's called area, and falls flat on its face with the final fight. Really something that needs to be experienced to be fully understood. I don't know who I'm angry with, the person who designed the fight or the people who playtested it. If it's on sale or on Game Pass, consider it. A good starter for people put off by the Soulsy games.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Blizzard, Bethesda, Activision, EA, 2k, Bungie, Ubisoft..

If you buy one of their games you know what happened. They're under no obligation to offer you something finished, something quality, or even something fun. You're scum. That's how they'll treat you and they know a significant % will reward them regardless.

Shiiit, just look at the business shift over at CDPR. This is the triple A industry. If they're going front 150 million in development costs they're expecting to make back quintuple.

Support developers that actually finish fucking games. I'll play shit I don't even like if it's a finished and completed package. The shit these companies can get away with is astounding but always remember: gamers are one of the worst consumer groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rammstein's "Deutschland" is the best music video ever.
Ya'll are so lucky today, you don't know how good you have it. I was born in 1932, we were so dumb, we listened to tap dancers on the radio.
Bandcamp is bad for my wallet.
The trick to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmcgregor
Top Bottom