Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Bran, Jan 21, 2015.

1. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

It would be easier to name my favorite franchises.

I’m into sandbox open world games and stealth based shooters. I’m a sucker for Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and the current iteration of Ghost Recon. I love Assassin’s Creed all the way back to the original though I admit to fatigue with that franchise. I love the GTA franchise, Saints Row, Watch Dogs, Red Dead, etc. I could always go for a game of Madden too.

Im not knocking Zelda. It’s just not the kind of game I like to play.

Virtualpurple likes this.
  2. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

--- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2019, ---
    Never owned a Zelda game, I also have zero ambition to get one.

I probably played a bit at my friends houses back when I was a kid, but I don't recall.

3. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

Totally. It was important for me that you know how I felt about the Zelda games.

I may have been a little too casual browsing the thread and tagged you instead of @Clark Kent. I don’t have much of a defense, your AVs are really nothing alike.

Poindexter likes this.
  4. FrankieButNotEdgar

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is finally getting good. I’m 80 percent through the game now but better late than never I guess.

5. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I really love a handful of series. Almost any Mario game is gold. I love Final Fantasy with 4, 7, 6 and 12 probably being my favorites. The Ratchet and Clank Future games are amazing. I’ve loved every Devil May Cry game. Octopath Traveler immediately became one of my favorite games ever. There’s just so many

Virtualpurple likes this.
  6. FrankieButNotEdgar

Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The ending had a very Assassins Creed type vibe to it. I liked the ending and about the last 3.5 hours of gameplay. The game was just very slow up to that point. This is the first open world game I’ve ever played where I completely just ignored all the side content in an effort to just get the game over with.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 9, 2019, ---
    I picked up the new Modern Warfare. I’m hoping it doesn’t give me a headache. As much as I hate first person shooters, I always liked the Modern Warfare games.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 10, 2019, ---
    I haven't bought a physical XBOX One game disc in several years now so I didn't realize this was this serious but it's really fucking pointless to buy a physical disc if as soon as you put the disc in, the game installs and then requires an update that is 72 fucking gigabytes. The disc install takes about a half hour. The update takes several fucking hours. I have the best internet you can buy from Spectrum but Microsoft's servers or whoever the developer is, it took all fucking day yesterday for my XBOX at work and my XBOX at home to install. I bought this game 24 hours ago and I have yet to even boot it. This shit has got to be addressed in the next gen consoles. As these games become bigger, these downloads are obscene. You should be able to insert your disc and start playing within a reasonable amount of time.

The only reason I bought the physical disc is because I'm returning it as soon as I'm done with it. I just plan on running through this before I start a bigger game. Otherwise I would have waited until it was 20 bucks and bought it from the Microsoft online store.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 10, 2019, ---
    I finished the first 5 missions of Modern Warfare in about 2 hours of play time. I didn’t even realize I had played that much.

I like the story. The graphics are great. I really wish the developers at Activision would take the time to expand the Modern Warfare series into a sandbox open world game with third person perspective. The story could go places. The game is fun but it’s really just a mindless run and gun shooter that I’ll be done with in 2-3 days.

7. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

My favorite reviewer:

disposableassassin likes this.
  8. FrankieButNotEdgar

I don’t know if that review is good or bad but this game’s story mode is great, even if it’s short. I played 7 missions in two sittings over 3 hours and I’ve never been hooked on a FPS before. I typically hate this FPS. But the graphics are great and the story is pushed along great. I like the tech too, from RC planes to drones. It’s not worth 60 unless you’re playing online because the story is over so fast but buy it used and sell it or return it.

9. Ninjastix

Because a review can only be good or bad after all.

disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  10. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

I enjoyed the way he broke down everything. I didnt care about spoilers because COD stories are stupid. I'm going to have to subscribe and watch some more of his reviews.

11. FrankieButNotEdgar

Aside from Black Ops 4, which had no story, COD has gone above and beyond the past few generations to create a playable cinematic experience. It’s the only reason I play COD games.

12. disposableassassin

Cinematic yes. There are alot of crazy setpieces with thrilling explosions and tons of crazy action but the stories are either drab like WWII, disjointed like BlOps 1-3, or convoluted like the MW games. I'm just not a fan personally. I have played most all of them just because I like fps games but I cant remember what any of them were about. It just feels like alot of exposition bogged down with political fantasy.

13. FrankieButNotEdgar

I use games like COD as a buffer between games I’m really into. If I spend a couple months playing a game like Assassin’s Creed, I need a buffer, like COD or Madden before I jump into another months long game.

14. disposableassassin

100% this. They are great palette cleansers before the next juicy meal

15. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Have you heard anything about Death Standing? I have heard mixed reviews but it looks like a game you could easily spend over a 100 hours playing and still not do everything.

16. Ninjastix

I can't see the appeal of Death Stranding but I haven't enjoyed a single Kojima game. He seems like a sexually repressed individual who doesn't understand the concept of moderation. Death Stranding was his baby from start to finish, thus the actual baby in the game because Kojima is as subtle as Rip Taylor.

And that's the problem. Death Stranding may be an interesting concept but well.. allow Jim Sterling to put it into perspective:

17. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I love that he hates the game but still gives it a 7 out of 10, lol.

18. disposableassassin

Haha yeah. Listen to sterling on that one.

19. Ninjastix

That's a bit of meta-commentary actually and Jim being cheeky. Jim doesn't score review games anymore, he just does the "impression" series. This harkens back to the Breadth of the Wild fiasco where Jim gave it a 7/10 because he hated the item degradation system and the stamina management. He loved pretty much every other aspect of the game but the item hording and stamina limiting drove him crazy.

Well the Internet wasn't happy with the score because it reduced the overall metacritic rating for the game and so, in true Internet fashion, Zelda fans rioted like toddlers at a daycare. Since then Jim doesn't score games recognizing that his takes are more individual critiques than overall. When he praises a game profusely or rails against it excessively he'll sometimes throw out the "7/10" remark.

kc56, disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  20. disposableassassin

I love Jim and his rants. Especially when he goes off on Bethesda.