The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Bran, Jan 21, 2015.

1. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Yea they’ll give away gift cards and do bundles but Nintendo won’t lower the price and neither will the stores.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Maybe but my sister works in management at Walmart and told me on Black Friday all three gaming systems will be market down. Told her to keep an eye out because I want a new ps4.

3. FrankieButNotEdgar

The PS4s and Xbox ones generally will be. Hell, the One X is 399.99 right now, $100 off normal price. I just haven’t seen Nintendo do the same recently, especially with the Switch Lite just coming out.

4. Clark Kent

That’s why I said the orig will be maybe have the discount. No reason to charge the same thing. An the switch has been out long enough for a mark down on special events.

5. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Absolutely. I’d bet you see bundles with a popular game for like $230 or $330

6. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

I’m playing Disco Elysium. I don’t even know what to say. I’m in the very early part of the game still and getting the hang of the terminology and stuff, but I’m getting eager to explore it more.

7. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

@Ninjastix Just saw SquillaKilla's 0 Damage All Bosses+DLC Run. Fucking nuts. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it. I am here trying to to get hit on fights with mobs and this dude ran through the whole fucking game without getting hit, once.

8. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Faraaz does those as well. No hit, no damage. These games have like had like 5-6 million players and there's like a dozen people that can do it. I wouldn't aim for those heights. There was a winter GDC speed run of DS3 that was damn near perfect.

But these are not things you start off trying to do. The game has 3.5 endings, multiple optional areas that can be done in different order, dozens of unique weapon animations and builds, and an online system people still fuck with.

Beating every boss + DLC is accomplishment enough. But I'll warn you - Dark Souls 3 is comparatively easier on entry than the other games. For this reason the DLC can feel cheap and brutal at times.

To me, the Chalice runs of Bloodborne solo are harder than anything in Dark Souls 3 including Midir. Midir isn't so much hard as tedious and tiring. I think the first time I fought Nameless it took like, 45 attempts to best him? Maybe 4 hours or so of making the same mistakes over and over. Midir was like 12. Or 14. So being an established player makes a difference. Having weapons where you know the timing of the animations so well you don't have to think about it helps. Or just playing unlocked and manually controlling the camera, directional striking and blocking.

All that shit is realistically obtainable in a couple of playthroughs. I watched the community blindthroughs of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. No one breezed through it even with the reduced difficulty. Just cause you know how to drive doesn't mean you've mastered this new car or the road ahead.

When I taught myself to play I dissected every level. I beat every enemy. I tried to find every item before moving ahead in areas. Running ahead blindly, tackling multiple weak enemies at once, not watching AI behavior for tells.. all that shit gets you killed. Dark Souls has thinking-combat. The AI is so much better even in its jank than American developed games. And nothing compares to the bosses.

Your goal should be to get to Gael for the dopest fucking fight in all of gaming

9. FrankieButNotEdgar

Picked up a perfect condition Switch in the box tonight for $260 off of offerup. It came with Breath of the Wild, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Gear Club 2, NBA 2K18 and Game Night with Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and Risk.

I’m gonna sell all of the games except the Game Night and pick up 2K20, a couple Mario games, and see what else there is to play.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  10. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I don’t know how much you game with your kids, but Mario Party is a blast with family

Poindexter likes this.
  11. FrankieButNotEdgar

My little ones are too little and my 11 year old does like games. We are probably gonna get the Mario games for sure.

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

So no Bluetooth headphones allowed on the Switch. That fucking blows. The primary reason I got it was to game in bed for an hour after my ol lady falls asleep and an hour before I get ready for work. I usually spend that time on my phone and I’ve gotten bored with the phone. I have a pair of Bose wireless Bluetooth headphones that I love. Gonna have to go to Best Buy and pick up a 3.5 mm cable to connect the headphones to the switch. Just won’t do me any good tonight.

13. Virtualpurple

Not that it relates to your plight, but I am pretty sure I can’t do Bluetooth sound from my PS4 either.

14. FrankieButNotEdgar

I can understand a PS4 or Xbox one but a Switch is a handheld half the time. Not having wireless headphone capability is beyond stupid. There’s an aftermarket adapter you can get but in my experience, there would be an audio delay. I’m gonna go to Best Buy tonight after work and get a 3.5mm audio cable.

15. Clark Kent

Breath of the wild is one of the best games I’ve played in a few years.

Poindexter likes this.
  16. FrankieButNotEdgar

Ive never been a fan of Zelda.

I picked up Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy today and my ol lady and I played each other for a couple hours tonight. She’s a terribly sore loser. It saps the fun.

Dimson likes this.
  17. Clark Kent

How can you not be a fan of Zelda. Some of the best games ever made. Argument could be made for 2 of the Zelda games to be in the top 10 games ever. I would definitely put oc of time in the top 3 of all time.

Poindexter likes this.
  18. FrankieButNotEdgar

Just not my kind of game. I don’t dispute their quality or their place in gaming lore. Just not my kind of game.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2019, ---
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider is boring as shit. I loved the last two. This game is so dull. I have absolutely no interest in exploring or doing any of the open world elements. It’s just mundane. But I have to finish it. I’m about 40 percent done and it just feels like work.

19. Virtualpurple

Out of curiosity, and I’m sure it’s posted here somewhere, but what are a few of your all time top games?

@Poindexter I think I’ve only played two Zelda games to completion, those are Ocarina of Time and A Link to The Past. I have a port of Windwaker on my PC but a few hours in it hasn’t hooked me so I may have to take another stab at it.

I had played the NES Zelda games but I don’t think I ever completed or really made progress in any of them. But aside from my recent stab at Windwaker I haven’t played any other Zelda games since ocarina of time.

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Did you mean to tag me?