The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Bran, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Ninjastix

Ninjastix The Fat Mamba Site Donor

Dual wielding will shred bosses with the right build but you're predominantly dodge-rolling. It's a fun way to play. To ease into DS3 I'd recommend using a shield. Armor in the game is fluff, the stats don't really matter. So if you're struggling with dodge timing then armor isn't going to save you. This is a pretty big departure from DS1 and DS2, it's a lot more like Bloodborne where armor was for fashion. If you need/want defense then you want to get behind a shield.

Greatshield and a 1-hander is a viable first time build to pretty much handle anything. The Darkblade and Axes are solid choices because they can stagger lock. I find it boring to have to R1 spam so I lean towards heavier hits with the Greatswords. The Claymore is great because the backstab and expose attacks do quick/heavy damage. Most of what you're going to end up doing with mob-enemies is backstab fishing. If you're not doing it now - start practicing. Over time you'll be able to "aim" your roll through an attack and land at the opponent's back for a backstab punish. Or you can bait their attack and circle flank.

Quite thrilling.

Anyway best of luck. DS3 is fairly linear but with a ton of optional content. My advice is to take it slow. I'd also highly recommend completing Seigward's questline. It's not exactly obvious how to do so, so research at your own peril but it makes for a great cinematic later on.

And don't kill Patches.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Hey @Ninjastix I cheesed the sword master and it was awesome.

3. Ninjastix

Congrats. I think you'll find it easier than Bloodborne for the most part.

4. Dimson

I am getting a little better every time I play, just like Bloodborne. Thre one thing I really suck at is parrying. I really missed me a gun parry. Lol.

5. Ninjastix

Parrying is very difficult, the windows are very small. Ideally you're best off using a parry shield. I don't rely on parries. It's more a PVP thing. It is helpful for certain bosses however, so if you can learn to do it you'll have an easier time.

I don't really parry when I play. If I invested in PVP maybe or wanted to speedrun but, if you don't parry you can beat the game just fine.

Parry devastates both versions of Gundyr and Pontiff Sulyvan. For regular enemies it's a luxury, though you can embarrass NPCs using it. Provided they're not two-handing an ultra-great.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Dimson likes this.
  6. Dimson

I just started trying 2 handing. The damage increase is sweet but I love being able to use the shield to block. I don't like special moves use mana and not just stam, but I guess it keeps non magic users from spamming specials non stop.

7. Ninjastix

There's ways around that actually. Depends on your build and items. Most weapons arts are a wash. There are a few that have value in PVP only and some PVE only and even fewer that do both.

Not one of the better systems imo. DS3 has weapon variety but it takes awhile for it to unlock which can be frustrating.

8. Dimson

@Ninjastix I beat the real first boss. Only took me 2 tries but I should have had him in one. I went in to the fight with no heals and got him down to about 35%. The second time I only healed once and honestly I only did that as a precaution.

9. Ninjastix

First real boss is Vordt. If you played Bloodborne you shouldn't even take damage from him. Just get behind and smack the booty.

The first boss people struggle with is usually Abyss Watchers but.. you can stagger the boss. To me that's not challenging if you can R1 lock 'em.

For me the first "fuck you" boss was Sulyvaan. The second fuck you boss was Aldridge but it depends on your boss order.

None of these bosses are hard or are skill checks.

Champion Gundyr is a skill check.
    Nameless is a skill check.

They're both hidden and optional though. The only bosses I can see breaking the game for you are those and the DLC bosses of Friede and Midir.

Fucking Midir would be a horror show for a new player. I don't know what you do. I'd love to see people who haven't player ANY of the other games get to Midir. That's a borderline psychological experiment.

Did you do the geometry jump at the back of the shrine to unlock Pickle Pee Pumpa Rum early? You can also find an estus shard and silver covetous serpent ring. Killer stuff for the early game.

10. Dimson

No, I don't think I did. I will have to look this up.

11. Ninjastix

I don't normally recommend looking things up for these games but for DS3 I would recommend bucking that.. but only with the early game.

There's a few things that are tucked away that are easy to miss. The jump at the back of the shrine is sort of obvious for souls players but would be invisible for new players. Since it leads to Pickle Pee and some dope early game items I would say look it up. The next is Yoel of Londor. After beating Vordt and just outside the Undead Settlement there's a sea of dead pilgrims. Amongst them is one living, Yoel. Yoel can give you the Dark Sign which unlocks one of the endings if fulfilled. But the Dark Sign also gives you 5 free levels provided you're sufficiently hollow. You turn hollow by dying. To get the levels you have to die about 12 times with the Dark Sign. Conveniently the first bonfire in the Undead Settlement is locate right next to a fall. So you can spawn and die and spawn and die with ease.

However.. I wouldn't cash those free levels in right away. What I'd recommend is using your initial souls to level up until it starts to get expensive like 5 or 6k a level. Then you SAVE YOUR SOULS and use Yoel. The reason you want to save your souls early is try to get to 20k. This will buy you the Tower Key which allows you through the locked Tower gate by the hidden jump at the back of the shrine. It'll unlock Pickle-Pee access proper but more importantly, it'll get you into the end of the tower that the Blademaster was guarding.

There's a drop down puzzle-jump (because of course there is) in that tower because there's an event whereby after you've met Patches he'll lock you in that muthafucker. If you complete the drop down and survive you get the Estus Ring. The Estus Ring is HUUUUUUGE. It's like a free Undead Bone Shard upgrade which improves the healing of your Estus. In the later game once you have +9 Estus it's not critical. But in the early game when you ain't got shit, it's awesome.

The last thing I'd recommend looking up is the initial meeting with Seigward and that off shoot area. I won't spoil anything but it leads to a hidden mini-boss and another drop down puzzle that leads to the Chloranthy Ring. This is another big ring because it improves Stamina regen. It's too easy to miss. And Seigward is awesome. As is the giant.

Remember to make peace. He'll help anytime.

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

For some reason, I've been craving Mario games. I haven't had an interest in Mario games in forever. I'm thinking about getting a Nintendo Switch Lite.

Anyone have a Switch? Should I get the Switch or Switch Lite? Are all the old school Mario games, Maniac Mansion, Excitebike, old school NES games available for the NES store? I'm not interested in emulators, I want to carry this around with me.

13. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

You can’t buy NES games, but it’s $20 a year to stream them and the library keeps growing.
    As far as the difference for the Lite, I’m not terribly sure. I know the joy con controllers don’t detach on the lite, so you’ll have to purchase a controller if you want to play on a tv. I also don’t know if the Lite has a tv dock, though it probably does. Battery lasts double the time on the Lite, I believe, too
    --- Post Added -- Oct 31, 2019, ---
    Yeah, you can’t dock at all with the Lite, so if you ever want to play on tv, avoid the Lite

14. FrankieButNotEdgar

If I’m playing something on the tv, I’ll use the Xbox. I basically want something for when I’m laying in bed at night or in the morning or sitting at my desk with nothing to do.

I don’t have a switch because I felt like it was cumbersome to hold in my hand. The lite is a little smaller.

I think I’m gonna pick one up and check it out.

15. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

I'll be getting a switch, probably around Christmas when there is a good sale on them and I'll likely get a switch lite.

Mostly because the only games I'll end up buying on it, are the main series Pokemon games. So I don't really care about the TV adaptability and I prefer my hand held consoles for my pokemon games.

16. FrankieButNotEdgar

Nintendo isnt going to drop the price, even for Christmas. There’s no need for them to. They’re selling those things hand over fist.

17. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Just because Nintendo won't, doesn't mean that stores won't do a special.

If they don't, I'll still buy one, but I'll wait and see. Hopefully there will be a "package deal," with one of the two new Pokemon games and a Switch (Lite) for a cheaper price than both single.

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Black Friday there will be a deal on the switch I don’t know about one on the lite.

19. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Won’t drop price, but you’ll see bundles for sure

20. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

What they do mostly is add a gift card for their store. Gamestop adds a $50 gamestop gift card and last year target and best buy did too.