The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Bran

The wolf dead.
Just beat the first Metal Gear Solid for the first time(assumedly last time). I really liked it. The story is incredibly convoluted, but it's done well enough and evrey boss fight feels very different. Thinking I'll start 2 soon.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Just beat the first Metal Gear Solid for the first time(assumedly last time). I really liked it. The story is incredibly convoluted, but it's done well enough and evrey boss fight feels very different. Thinking I'll start 2 soon.
Ive played and finished them all since the ps2 versions and I absolutely love those games but that said, I couldn’t tell you much about the story. They’re so tricky and complicated when it comes to story, I’ve forgotten most of them.

I will say this, Phantom Pain was a fucking masterpiece. I wish that Kojima was still on board with Konami. I want another Snake game.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone ever played Sekiro?

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Not a game I would casually recommend. It demands your attention and you have to be willing to play it the way it demands, which is constant aggression and precise defensive reads. Otherwise you're just going to do the same thing over and over and over and over again. You can't out level your surroundings and you can't brute force solutions.

I think if you never played a Souls game it's an advantage because you don't have to unlearn anything. But it's a substantial learning curve and at a certain point you will not be able to progress unless you developed the necessary skills.

Personally, I prefer the customization of Souls game. Sekiro is like a combat puzzle game. You have to memorize patterns and reads to build the muscle memory necessary to react in sequence. Otherwise some of the bosses will be impossible.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Gonna have to go to Best Buy after work and do some negotiating. The computer I ordered went on sale today for almost $500 off the new price meaning I can get a new one for cheaper than I bought the open box one. It would save me $50 to return the open box and buy a new one. That said, the open box ones are now almost $400 cheaper as well so I'm going to see if they'll price match the open box. This is big for me because I want to replace the tv at my store with a new Samsung QLED but I won't buy a tv until I pay off my credit card for the computer.

kc56

Gonna have to go to Best Buy after work and do some negotiating. The computer I ordered went on sale today for almost $500 off the new price meaning I can get a new one for cheaper than I bought the open box one. It would save me $50 to return the open box and buy a new one. That said, the open box ones are now almost $400 cheaper as well so I'm going to see if they'll price match the open box. This is big for me because I want to replace the tv at my store with a new Samsung QLED but I won't buy a tv until I pay off my credit card for the computer.
If you do that: check out Steam Link.

Im pretty sure you can run the app right on the new Samsung Smart TVs.

kc56

Thanks for the info.

I assume that’s using a tv as a monitor wirelessly? I know my MacBook Pro can do it.
pretty much, but for Steam and it’s games With built in controller support for the steam and Xbox controllers.

they used to make a hardware version of it (that I love and still use) but discontinued. The hardware Steam Link can only do up to 1080p. The app can go up to 4K on any 2017 or newer Samsung SmartTV that supports it.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
pretty much, but for Steam and it’s games With built in controller support for the steam and Xbox controllers.

they used to make a hardware version of it (that I love and still use) but discontinued. The hardware Steam Link can only do up to 1080p. The app can go up to 4K on any 2017 or newer Samsung SmartTV that supports it.
Cool, will check it out.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Went to Best Buy this morning and they are doing a freeze on price matching until after Christmas. So I told the lady that if they didn't price match, I was just going to return the laptop and buy it again anyway. So she sends the money back to my credit card and then tells me that she can't resell me the laptop until the Geek Squad certifies it. I literally didn't even take it out of the UPS packaging or open it. That normally takes 24 hours. I can also go online and buy another open box one for the current open box price or I can walk over to computers and buy a new one but the one that I just returned, I can't buy it until Geek Squad re-certifies it. Such a dumb thing. They should have just price matched it and kept it moving. They're only costing themselves time (by the Geek Squad recertification) or money (by me ordering another one and having to re-ship it.). I literally work 2 miles from Best Buy so it's nothing for me to come back but I was hoping to get some face time with this thing today. The savings will be worth it so I'm trying to be patient.

I used to game on PCs before I got into consoles. A Medal of Honor game was the last game I ever played on a PC. I don't remember the title but it was the Medal of Honor game that begins with you storming Normandy Beach.

There was this shooter called F.E.A.R. that I tried playing on PC around that time and my video card wasn't good enough so the game would get to a certain point, freeze and not work anymore. I got tired of the constant need to upgrade the hardware. This was a good 15 years or so ago I believe.

I actually had a gaming tower built about 6 years ago but I literally never used it for games and sold it after I fell in love with Mac OS. Since I'm really a console gamer at heart, it was a natural transition for me from Windows to Mac OS.

I read last night that there are three options for playing your XBOX stuff on a windows computer. 1) Game Pass. This is the most limited option as the games compatible from Game Pass to Windows is limited and the ones I would want to play aren't included. 2) XBOX play anywhere. There are 154 titles and you must own the digital version of the game. The most notable game from this list is Forza 4 but I've never been into racing simulators. 3) If your XBOX and your PC are on the same network, you can stream your XBOX games to the PC directly if your PC can handle it. This is the option Ill likely use since the laptop is specifically for being able to kill some downtime from the bedroom. About the only peaceful parts of my day are in the morning before the kids wake up and at night when they go to bed. This laptop is for those moments. Sure, I could wake up and go to the living room before the kids wake up but my living room has windows everywhere and too much light shines through and glares like hell on the tv. I was able to talk my ol' lady into black out curtains in the bedroom but she's not a vampire like me so she refuses to black out the living room. So the bedroom is where I get the couple of hours of peace a day.

Last edited:

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
F.E.A.R is an amazing game. I played the fuck out of that game. Medal of Honour: Allied Assault is the game with the iconic Omaha beach mission, which I believe was the third or fourth mission in the game.

I used to game on PCs before I got into consoles. A Medal of Honor game was the last game I ever played on a PC. I don't remember the title but it was the Medal of Honor game that begins with you storming Normandy Beach.

There was this shooter called F.E.A.R. that I tried playing on PC around that time and my video card wasn't good enough so the game would get to a certain point, freeze and not work anymore. I got tired of the constant need to upgrade the hardware. This was a good 15 years or so ago I believe.
I bought a new PC this year (well, chose its specs myself) and prior to that I had my PC for eight years. Only had two small upgrades, which was getting 8GB extra ram, so that PC had 16, and upgrading the gfx card from a GTX670 to a 970, which wasn't a top three card at the time.

I'm not sure why you think you need to constantly upgrade PC hardware. I mean, sure you can if you want to stay at the head of the pack with the most powerful gear, but it's like those cunts that buy the new iPhone every six months. There is no need to do so.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I'm not sure why you think you need to constantly upgrade PC hardware. I mean, sure you can if you want to stay at the head of the pack with the most powerful gear, but it's like those cunts that buy the new iPhone every six months. There is no need to do so.
That's a common misconception with people about iPhone users. Apple releases a phone every year at the same time, not every six months. What's more funny, is it's usually people that use Samsung products that make those comments when it's Samsung that releases several phones per year and usually have something coming out every 3-4 months. Their constant phone launches depreciate the resale value of their phones like a motherfucker.

In terms of upgrading that often, like I said, I haven't been a PC gamer in 15 years. When I was, it seemed like I was constantly having to do something but maybe it had something to do with the fact that at the time, I likely couldn't afford high end gear to begin with so I had to piece meal shit together to stay on the cutting edge. I had my time gaming on PC but like someone else said, there aren't many PC exclusives anymore and I prefer gaming from my couch than sitting at a desk and I have a 75" TV at home. There's no way I'd rather game on a monitor than that, except for the instances I mentioned where sometimes, I just want to lay out in bed and relax.

Anyway, I went back to Best Buy last night, saw the computer I had returned sitting behind the desk at the Geek Squad with a couple others. I tried to get them to scan it and sell it back to me but they wouldn't. They just kept giving me the same song and dance about having to check it out, and blah, blah, blah. They didn't seem to care that I was the one that had bought it, returned it and was looking to buy it again. So I went over to the manager of the PC section without saying anything about having spoken to the Geek Squad. I told him I had returned a computer earlier in the day and wanted to re-buy it, explaining the price match situation. He gave me the same ol' song and dance. So I loaded my kid up in the truck and sat there in the parking lot, ordering one online. It's such a dumb thing that they wouldn't just scan the fucking box back into inventory.

So now, Ill be waiting another 2-3 days for one to be shipped in knowing full well there's one sitting on a shelf behind an overworked Geek Squad rep.

I ended up saving $247 by the whole song and dance, which is less than I originally thought but still also well worth the effort. I checked online this morning to see if maybe they had posted the one I returned and to my surprise, the price went back to normal on both new and open box. Must have been a Cyber Monday deal or something so it's a good thing I ordered it last night or the whole shenanigans would have been for nothing.

My laser machine will be here today. I already received the fume extractor last week. I won't be able to use any of it until I get the computer though.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
That's a common misconception with people about iPhone users. Apple releases a phone every year at the same time, not every six months. What's more funny, is it's usually people that use Samsung products that make those comments when it's Samsung that releases several phones per year and usually have something coming out every 3-4 months. Their constant phone launches depreciate the resale value of their phones like a motherfucker.
Wasn't meant as an exact statement on the cycle of phones, it ain't that deep mate.

In terms of upgrading that often, like I said, I haven't been a PC gamer in 15 years. When I was, it seemed like I was constantly having to do something but maybe it had something to do with the fact that at the time, I likely couldn't afford high end gear to begin with so I had to piece meal shit together to stay on the cutting edge. I had my time gaming on PC but like someone else said, there aren't many PC exclusives anymore and I prefer gaming from my couch than sitting at a desk and I have a 75" TV at home. There's no way I'd rather game on a monitor than that, except for the instances I mentioned where sometimes, I just want to lay out in bed and relax.
That's a fair enough point, if you buy a low end PC then you will get out dated incredibly fast. I suppose I have only owned two of my own PC's and both times I saved up until I knew it would be future proof, though my previous one only initially cost me $2100 and with the two upgrades, a total of $3000. Not bad and got 8 years of consistent use and was able to run modern games like Doom Eternal with no issues.

PC exclusive titles don't really matter to me, but if I am gonna play an FPS game, whether its CS:GO, Battlefield or Call of Duty, that shit is so much better on PC it isn't funny. In terms of console exclusives, the only one that I wish was on PC was the latest God of War game. That looked like fun, but I ain't buying a console for one game.

Except Nintendo, I gotta get my Pokemon. There are exceptions to every rule, hehe.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
PC buying/building is very much about future-proofing. If you're upgrading a rig every couple of months then you're either very frugal or something is off in your setup.

I expect my current laptop to last for 5 years. That's how I calculated the value of the cost proposition. My prior PCs (desktops) have all lasted 5 years.

When you creep into the enthusiast segment you're potentially chasing iterative graphics card or processor architecture. The new Nvidia cards and AMD chips for example. It's best to let the dust settle on those things than to be an early adopter imo.

For gaming, nothing is really pushing the hardware specs. Gamers are by demanding higher and higher refresh rates, but 60hz is all you really need. So 4k/60hz is very attainable and sustainable for a 3 year plus PC build. However if you want a 6k/120hz rig or something else nutty you'll be chasing iterative upgrades ad nauseum.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
PC buying/building is very much about future-proofing. If you're upgrading a rig every couple of months then you're either very frugal or something is off in your setup.

I expect my current laptop to last for 5 years. That's how I calculated the value of the cost proposition. My prior PCs (desktops) have all lasted 5 years.

When you creep into the enthusiast segment you're potentially chasing iterative graphics card or processor architecture. The new Nvidia cards and AMD choosers for example. It's best to let the dust settle on those things than to be an early adopter imo.

For gaming, nothing is really pushing the hardware specs. Gamers are by demanding higher and higher refresh rates, but 60hz is all you really need. So 4k/60hz is very attainable and sustainable for a 3 year plus PC build. However if you want a 6k/120hz rig or something else nutty you'll be chasing iterative upgrades ad nauseum.
With graphics cards, the best time to buy is when they release newer models. Typically because the previous cards go down in price but will still be useful for years to come.

Some people are really weird and need to be on the cutting edge all the time, but for regular joes, there is no need.

I did just buy a 240hz monitor this morning. lol

Clark Kent

I absolutely love the ps5. Only complaint is the battery life on the controller. so much better then the ps4.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I just passed 80+ hours in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I never thought I would put that much time into a single game. I'll easily have 100 hours in it by the time it's done. I remember thinking Black Flag was a big deal when I put 50 hours into it. I'm still only 60 percent done with the story. I've been running around doing add on stuff.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
With graphics cards, the best time to buy is when they release newer models. Typically because the previous cards go down in price but will still be useful for years to come.

Some people are really weird and need to be on the cutting edge all the time, but for regular joes, there is no need.

I did just buy a 240hz monitor this morning. lol
My laptop's screen is 240hz, 1080p though. That's part of the trade-off, I went with stronger internal components such as 32 gb of RAM, dual 1TB SSDs, and a 2070 super. But for a 17inch screen I don't know that I can notice the difference at this point though I think I have a dying pixel.

I'd like an OLED gaming TV but not interested in paying for one. I got a 4k Samsung 42inch for 200 bucks last year. That's just an insane deal and it's perfect for consoles. Not that I can really tap into that yet but at some point I will.

I just passed 80+ hours in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I never thought I would put that much time into a single game. I'll easily have 100 hours in it by the time it's done. I remember thinking Black Flag was a big deal when I put 50 hours into it. I'm still only 60 percent done with the story. I've been running around doing add on stuff.
I never went back to do the DLC but I think I put around 65 hours into the game. I maybe enjoyed 20 hours. I liked some of the combat and I like a couple of side quests but so much fucking filler. The world is fantastic but all this shit you do just doesn't hold because the depth of the combat isn't there, nor is the enemy diversity. The mythological stuff was the best stuff in the game, I might go back to do the Atlantis DLC if it learns into that stuff.

AC can do whatever it wants with the story I do not care. But they need to fix the combat and it blows my fucking mind why this is a problem. FOR HONOR IS RIGHT FUCKING THERE! That game has one of the best combat systems in the last 10-15 years but it's held hostage by a shit game.

Last edited:

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I never went back to do the DLC but I think I put around 65 hours into the game.
It's weird for me because I always get the complete edition of any game I buy but rarely do I do all of the DLC. By the time I'm usually done with an AC game especially, I'm so fucking burned out on it, I just want to get away from it.

I maybe enjoyed 20 hours.
I play it every day for at least a few hours while it's slow at work. I'm hooked on the game, which is weird seeing my self type that because I wouldn't necessarily say I'm enjoying the game. Ill go to Day's Gone. I absolutely loved every minute of Day's Gone and was bummed when I was finished. I don't have that same feeling here. There's plenty I like but there is so much I wish was different.

I liked some of the combat and I like a couple of side quests but so much fucking filler.
The world is fantastic but all this shit you do just doesn't hold because the depth of the combat isn't there, nor is the enemy diversity.
The combat needs to be changed or tweaked at the very least. They need to give you more ability slots as well. You get 4 ability slots so you're doing the same moves over and over again in conjunction with heavy and light strikes. It's repetitive as shit. If you add in the fact that they've basically delegated assassinations and stealth out of the game, I just wish there was so much that is different about it.

I don't want to sound so negative on the game. I'm always more critical of the things I love. I just wish the stealth was more important to the game. That's what this franchise was built on. I can be 5 levels above an enemy and it's still hit or miss on whether or not I take him out with a silent assassination. It makes game planning a location next to impossible and you end up just winging it.

That's another gripe for me. THere's really no fucking point in leveling up because the enemies level up as you do so they're always the same difficulty. I went back to an area I had long since finished and magically all the enemies there are where I am now. This defeats the point of putting the time to level your character up. It renders it pointless.

I'm still going to do as much as I possible can in the game. I do like it. I just don't love it and that's disappointing to me.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Can't wait for CyberPunk in 2 weeks. Still haven't decided on PS4 or PC. It comes down to performance versus screen size. Decisions, decisions.

Problematique

Wiedźmin.
Can't wait for CyberPunk in 2 weeks. Still haven't decided on PS4 or PC. It comes down to performance versus screen size. Decisions, decisions.
Performance, always.

Only games I play on my TV are Mario Kart (when I go to a mates place) or the latest Pokemon games on the Switch.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I wanted to play Cyberpunk until I found out it’s a first person game. Shame. Looks good too.
I pretty much feel the same. I'm not a fan of 1st person RPGs. I thought I was, I enjoyed Fallout 3 when it was new but I did not enjoy Fallout 4 and you couldn't pay me to revisit Fallout or Skyrim. Cyberpunk seems like it will have some hardcore science fiction and that appeals to me more than the actual game. It'll have shooting mechanics so that may make it palpable for me. 1st person melee combat is the worst, just doesn't translate.

The only other issue I have is I can give fuckall about the cyber/steam punk genres. It's like anime to me, I care so little about it. However I'm expecting some pretty great writing and questlines. I'll let the dust settle on it and see if I can learn anything from the few gaming commentators I trust.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I bought Far Cry 5 because it looks outstanding but got 5 minutes in and knew I wouldn’t be able to deal with the first person aspect. First person has no place in sandbox games. Save that shit for mindless run and gunners.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I bought Far Cry 5 because it looks outstanding but got 5 minutes in and knew I wouldn’t be able to deal with the first person aspect. First person has no place in sandbox games. Save that shit for mindless run and gunners.
I wasn't super happy when I found out CyberPunk was first person. I am still on thre fence about it but I am still getting the game. It looks really fun and like @Ninjastix said, the stories/quests should be awesome.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I wasn't super happy when I found out CyberPunk was first person. I am still on thre fence about it but I am still getting the game. It looks really fun and like @Ninjastix said, the stories/quests should be awesome.
I completely understand why a lot of shooters are first person and I get the appeal to some gamers. Open world/sandbox games are meant to be played from a third person perspective. I think games like COD would be better in third person. My favorite shooters are games like Ghost Recon that are played in third person. I just like it better. First person is an automatic disqualifier for me. Hell, they even ruined Resident Evil for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james101
Top Bottom