The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Clark Kent

Best Buy made it really easy, they had anti bot checkout and once it was in your cart it was yours for like 3 minutes before checkout they send you a verification code.

Bran

The wolf dead.

Heard about this on the latest How Did This Get Played podcast while they were covering PT and haven’t watched yet, but it sounded like a fun watch

Last edited:

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Never understood the whole PC vs. console debate. I'd rather lay out on my couch when I want to play a video game instead of sitting in a chair in front of a monitor. I used to love gaming on a PC but got tired of the constant need to upgrade hardware.

I've got about 65 hours in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I'd say I'm about 60 percent done. I'm hunting down all the cult members right now.

I have no real complaints about the game other than them essentially delegating stealth out of the game. That's my favorite part of the AC games and it's hard to play with a stealthy game style because of how they've set it up now. That said, I just obtained an ability that allows you to be undetectable in stealth, even when you walk in front of someone that reinvigorates the game for me, but it took me until Level 50 to get that ability.

As is usual in these AC games, I'm fatigued by the end because I spend so much time performing every little task so while I do love it, I'm going to probably wait a while before I jump into Valhalla.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I bought a windows laptop because I bought a laser machine that removes the back glass from iPhones and it requires Windows over Mac. One of the byproducts of my thinking was using GamePass for PC. This is strictly for some time killing, laying in bed at night and in the morning. However, when I got my new computer set up, I realized that GamePass for PC is limited and a lot of the games I wanted to play on this computer aren't on the GamePass for PC library. So I can either return this computer and get a real gaming laptop which isn't exactly the route I want to go. I like a thin sleek laptop and those things are usually heavy and thick. This is the computer I bought. Can I play games like Madden 21 and State of Decay on this computer if I buy them from Steam.

I'm not looking to play Call of Duty and shit like that with the fastest possible everything. I just want to know that this computer can handle Madden and stuff like that before I waste the 40 bucks to buy Madden or return this thing and look at my other options.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Never understood the whole PC vs. console debate. I'd rather lay out on my couch when I want to play a video game instead of sitting in a chair in front of a monitor. I used to love gaming on a PC but got tired of the constant need to upgrade hardware..
It was more a debate when PC gaming genres dominated the industry. Primary FPS, RTS, and MMOs. Console gaming was synonymous with casual gaming but now casual gaming is mobile gaming.

It's less a debate now because of dwindling PC Only titles that hit that old triple A standard. There's less developer optimization and boundary pushing on PC. Games are optimized for console because that's what sells. The drop in pricing for high definition televisions ushered in the reign of console gaming as the defacto mode.
PC is still the enthusiast arena because of the various options you have at your disposal. But you're ultimately limited by the software. I see no reason that you HAVE to play Cyberpunk or Assassin's Creed on PC. It's a matter of preference is all.

Right now I like PC gaming because I can output my audio to two DAC amps I own. More immersive sound = more enjoyment for me but it's still dependent on a game's sound design. Your limiting factor is always going to be the software.

The switch and ps4 sort of prove this point. The highest received games of this generation belong to Nintendo and Sony and they run on the most limited hardware.

I like having a gaming laptop personally. But it can be loud, can get hot, and I'm limited to the built in screen for optimal performance. However as a total package it can just do more better than a console. To each their own.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I returned the Samsung laptop I bought after it struggled just to run State of Decay 2. I've been looking ever since and for fuck's sakes, gaming laptops are big, bulky, ugly as shit machines. I want something with a 4K display and can handle gaming easily. I've found plenty that will do the job but they look like fucking cinderblocks. I found a nice Lenovo that's not meant for gaming and I don't know if it will handle gaming or not but it's the best looking and slimmest form factor I've seen but fuck me, I don't know if it will handle any games or not. I'm just looking at playing shit like Madden and the Telltale Walking Dead games, not looking to replace my consoles.

Will this one do the trick?

If not, there's this one which has an upgraded graphics card but doesn't have a 4K display, runs in full 1080p though.

Post automatically merged:

I also love this one but it's essentially the first computer I just listed but a year newer.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
This whole shit started because I played 10 minutes of Madden on a Samsung tablet. It was then that I realized that I could do Game Pass on the go and that was a game changer for me. What then happened is I realized that not all Game Pass games are available on PC for some reason the way they are on a tablet. With my need for a windows computer for my laser machine coming next week, I figured, fuck it, might as well get something good. Now I can play Madden and some other games that I normally don’t dedicate my gaming time too. Instead of trying to use game pass for pc, I’ll just buy them from Steam. Madden 20 was the newest available on game pass anyway and I wanna play Madden 21.

So then came the argument within my mind of style versus performance, and I fought with myself for literal days over this. I hate the way my mind work sometimes.

We went to Best Buy tonight and I picked out a Razer Blade 15.6 and there was an open box machine for nearly $500 off up in Winston-Salem, nearly 3 hours away. So I ordered it and having it shipped. Some of the gaming laptops I checked out were nicer in person than ones I looked at online. The one thing I noticed was that you either got a great graphics card with a 1080p screen or a 4K screen with a lesser graphics card. Few had high end specs with both. That was the trouble I found.

I love my MacBook and will hold onto it but for the life of me, I don’t understand why Apple hasn’t tried their hand at developing a gaming laptop.

I also like that I can plug this thing in to the tv near my desk and use it like a console. I can sync an Xbox one controller to a gaming laptop right?

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Go with a better graphics card and a 1080p screen if you want to do laptop gaming.

You can output to a TV via HDMI but you may have degradation. Depends on many variables. I don't feel like posting an essay, in general it's better to output to a gaming monitor than a TV.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
That should be fine but the storage space is a problem. But you should be able to get by with an external SSD hard drive.

I have a 2070 max and it's one of the better price-to-performance cards out there. 4k OLED is pretty nice as well.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
That should be fine but the storage space is a problem. But you should be able to get by with an external SSD hard drive.

I have a 2070 max and it's one of the better price-to-performance cards out there. 4k OLED is pretty nice as well.
Ill be using it for two things: 1) to play some games and 2) to run my laser refurb machine. 512 should be fine as I won't likely run more than a few games at a time. I have a 4 TB Sata drive and can get an SSD if I need to but I think 512 should be fine. This won't replace my iMac, MacBook or XBOX consoles as daily drivers. This is more just for fun. This will likely allow me to play Madden on the go or in bed and some other games I wouldn't otherwise dedicate a lot of time too. I'll still lean on my consoles for the games I usually play. I just spend an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening relaxing before and after sleeping so this allows me to get a game or something in versus just laying there scrolling Facebook, something I've grown to detest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james101
Top Bottom