The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I pretty much broke Ghosts of Tsushima. I've done 2, maybe 3 main story missions and I'm already half way done unlocking the final stance. I've blown through a huge chunk of the side content on the basis of the game's broken stealth and bombs.

If you rush to unlock the chain execution mechanic all you then need is the stealth charm that reduces the rate at which enemies look for you by 40%. Draw out enemies into grass and duck. Then you can chain kill 3 at a time.

I have the Samurai armor set already fully upgraded. With the exploration skill for finding hot water springs my health is through the roof and I have a charm that restores health on kill.

There are elements of the combat that I think could make for great gameplay. But the camera is broken. It is 100% shit. I've had standoffs I can't complete because the enemy isn't even in frame. And I'm not even complaining about lock on. The field of view is so bad you can't see enemies on the screen. Other times the attack focus won't redirect. Combine the stance changes and the quick items and menu shuffling and it becomes one big mess.

I do like the bow. Quite a bit. It's extremely satisfying to headshot people and animals. I did the optional quests that end in duels, one for the unlockable technique and the other for the archer armor. I would consider doing an archer run on a future playthrough, but full Samurai armor is too good.

Wind stance, the anti-spear one, is my favorite thus far. As far as I can tell you really only need to switch stances for shield enemies. Even then you don't have to but the anti-shield stance really makes them trivial. I like the ideas in the game much more than the execution. The proper duels are fun because you spend a lot less time fighting the camera. There was one world quest with an ambush at a bridge where archers are firing up from rocky locations on both sides and I wanted to toss my PS4 out the fucking window. None of the game mechanics were up to that encounter, it was a mess of climbing, dodging, falling, and chasing.

I think in lieu of a lock on, all they needed to do was shrink the character models by 20-25% to inflate the fov. It's so hard to play at times when the camera is fucking you in 360 degrees.

Trodden

Fuck Donald Trump
THIS

GAME

KICKS

FUCKING

ASS!!!

I started playing, and next thing I knew, it was 5 hours later. So easy to get lost in it. So damn beautiful, they put alot of energy into the scenery, and it shows

but the game play is just great!!

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Post automatically merged:

I'm holding out hope there will be a camera patch for GoT. It's so god damn frustrating to constantly lose sight of the enemy. I also feel like there's too many options, not that it's bad but it's sort of disjointed and unorganized. Like it would have been cool to skill spec, for example do you to throw kunai or bombs? Then depending on which you spec, you could increase the number, add damage, add poison, and a final spec with something unique. I don't know why I have both sticky bombs and regular bombs when they pretty much do the same thing. I think for replay value it'd of been cool to have specializations. I just don't feel I need two bows, plus a blow dark, plus independent throwing. Spec'ing shortbow or longbow would have been cool. Spec'ing darts, kunai, or bombs would have also been more streamline imo. Upgraded bombs though are pretty hilarious.

Outside of the camera and lack of spec, I do like the story and characters. In Jim Sterling's impression video he seemed to be a bit cool on everyone being so serious but I'm rather loving that. People seem earnest and their responses to their various situations seem logically consistent. There's a lot of sad people bereft of hope. And while the game lacks a bit on facial animations, the voice acting (in Japanese anyway) does more than enough to compensate. I actually care about the people I'm aiding. I'm actually upset with the people that betray me. No one has thus far come off as a characters or a Disney villain. I appreciate the sincerity of the lineup. They're not the most memorable characters but they're endearing in the moment to moment events.

I've unlocked most of the mythic stuff but I'm working on what I think is the last armor set next. Right now I have fully upgraded Jin's family armor (his Dad's) and the samurai spirit armor set from collecting all the keys. That wasn't a ton of fun but it looks great fully upgraded. You can probably use the first samurai set for the entire game.

The Sakai family armor gives you: +health, +melee damage, and up to +2 to a Stand Off streak. So if you have Stand Off fully upgraded to 3 attempts you can max it out to 5, provided you nail each encounter which let me tell.. gets pretty fucking hard to do later on.

The Gosaku armor gives you: +health, +stagger damage, and up to 20% health back from killing a staggered enemy. This combine with charm that gives you health back on kill gives you something like 35% health back on kill. Very powerful when you're surrounded by upgraded Mongols and Ronin. So long as you're used to switching stances you can stagger break pretty much anyone and get a chunk of health back when you kill them.

At the point in the game where I don't really bother with stealth. I honestly do not find it as fun especially when they pack camps. It breaks the suspension of disbelief when everyone is on alarm then they go back to doing what they're doing prior. That's not this game's fault but if you've played Assassin's Creed, the Batman Arkham series, Tenchu, Sekiro, Hitman, Mordor.. it's another example of where stealth is a nice plus but you've made the combat more fun. I tend to use stealth more with the bow than the blade, and fight the remainder.

I think I could see maybe doing a bow run. The fully upgraded bow armor seems like it could be very OP. But again.. I wish there was a proper spec tree. Let me be a tank, a ranger, or an assassin. Would have been glorious in this environment. Especially if I could have had like a pet honey badger or something as a ranger.

Last edited:

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
The camera is the biggest gripe about GoT. I wish they had a targeting system similar to Souls or Nioh. But the game is still fun even if the AI is dumb at times. Like really dumb.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I finally got to sit down with Last of Us II for more than 20 minutes at a time. I played for an hour. I got to the point where you encounter the clickers for the first time in a grocery store. It isn't the most fun experience in the world but it gives me enough of a glimpse into the game to know that better things are coming. I'm looking forward to getting more time to get into it. I'm really looking forward to that Ghosts game yall have been talking about. That's gonna be directly next.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Beat Last of Us 2 last night. Beautiful game. Loved it, throughout. Loved the characters I played as and I loved the ending. Really blew me away.
The ending was a slight disappointment even if it was kind of fitting. I didn't think I would like playing the antagonist but it ended up not being that bad.

I'm playing MK11: Aftermath right now before I dive into Ghost. But I'm REALLY looking forward to Ghost.
You will love it. It is a ton of fun. And if you like beautiful games, you will love Ghost.

Bran

The wolf dead.
The ending was a slight disappointment even if it was kind of fitting. I didn't think I would like playing the antagonist but it ended up not being that bad.
There was a few spots where I didn't want to do what I needed to in order to advance the story. Torturing the Wolf at the hospital, trying to kill Ellie as Abby, and then trying to kill Abby as Ellie. At the end it was really rough because I didn't want to kill her and I didn't know for sure that I wouldn't. The fact that Ellie just let them go after nearly drowning her made it a great ending. Had she killed Abby, I would have been pretty sour on the ending.

Bran

The wolf dead.
I'm really digging Ghost of Tsushima. I love doing standoffs. I love slicin'. I love dicin'. I love jumping off a cliff while riding a horse and using the horse to break my fall.

At one point, I saw so many groups of deer running around that I figured there's gotta be something to get for hunting them. I killed like 3 or 4 with my bow, ran over and zero drops. I was expecting "kill 10 more to unlock _____". But nothing. There's nothing to be gained by killing deer in the game, and no one told me that ahead of time, and now I just feel bad for killing those deer.

I've been trying to make it up by petting every fox I can.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
You're not supposed to kill the stags. They're considered sacred.

You can kill boars for pelts, and eventually, bears. I still have to go back and finish the game, I'm somewhere in mid-Act 2 when it dawned on me I'm playing the Lion King.

Haven't been able to pick the controller back up since then. It's a very okay game, I've enjoyed some of the side quests and character developments. The Japanese voice actors are quite good.

I want to meet the people that programmed the camera and beat them to death with a VHS player.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I'm really digging Ghost of Tsushima. I love doing standoffs. I love slicin'. I love dicin'. I love jumping off a cliff while riding a horse and using the horse to break my fall.

At one point, I saw so many groups of deer running around that I figured there's gotta be something to get for hunting them. I killed like 3 or 4 with my bow, ran over and zero drops. I was expecting "kill 10 more to unlock _____". But nothing. There's nothing to be gained by killing deer in the game, and no one told me that ahead of time, and now I just feel bad for killing those deer.

I've been trying to make it up by petting every fox I can.
You can't get anything from deer because as Ninja said, they are sacred. Best animal to hunt for skins so far has been black bears. I try and kill all the animals I see because my favorite part of combat are using ghost weapons and that is the only easy to level those up. I just got in act two and still really enjoy it, I just don't play it for that long as I am trying to stretch it out longer as I tend to beat games too fast because I just binge play them at times.
@Ninjastix I agree about the combat camera. That is the one thing I can't stand. The other thing is the AI is really dumb sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evolveny
Top Bottom