The pro's and con's of an all digital future.

what should I do?

• make the switch

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • keep on collecting

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
So, I'm a collector. I have around 1,000 blu rays, and countless dvds. My girlfriend is tired of them and wants me to go fully digital. Needless to say I have no desire to do so.

Here's where you guys come in. I need well informed opinions on the pro's and con's of making the switch. I need solid material to win this argument, or I need to be convinced that she is right.

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion
Survival Pool Champion
Whatever you prefer, just like books, do you want a physical copy of something. Is your collection that important to you?
Say if you had a fire and lost everything would you want to replace it all.

Myself I don't own any movies, if i want to see a movie i go to the movies, if i want to see it again, i just download it, but then again i normally just watch a movie one time and that it.

The cons of going just digital is the concern that your HD dies and you lose everything and have to get those movies all over again, also quality is not as good, unless you download full bluray movies , pro, less shelf space, another one is you can fit hundreds of movies on HD's, another pro you can save tons of money if you just download them from torrents.

Last edited:

Ct_L33T

You can find a dvd/blursy rip of nearly every movie ever released Online, there realy isnt any need to buy physical copies anymore unless your internet connetion is shit

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
You can find a dvd/blursy rip of nearly every movie ever released Online, there realy isnt any need to buy physical copies anymore unless your internet connetion is shit
Lot's of people like having the physical copy. When I had over 500 DVDs I like being able to see them all on a shelf.

I stopped buying them about five years. I find it much easier to have a digital copy streaming through my media server so I can easily access it from anywhere in my house. I ended downloading most of my DVDs because it was easier to watch them with a digital copy. I am also terrible at keeping track of my dvds/cds. A lost of my cases ending up having the wrong movie in them.

Ct_L33T

Lot's of people like having the physical copy. When I had over 500 DVDs I like being able to see them all on a shelf.

I stopped buying them about five years. I find it much easier to have a digital copy streaming through my media server so I can easily access it from anywhere in my house. I ended downloading most of my DVDs because it was easier to watch them with a digital copy. I am also terrible at keeping track of my dvds/cds. A lost of my cases ending up having the wrong movie in them.
I understand. I am not one for decorations, and I do not have sentimental attachment to inanimate objects; as a result, I see outdated technology as waste.

Bran

The wolf dead.
For a one time viewing, streaming or download is fine. But I 100% prefer the viewing experience of a DVD/BluRay over digital. I have several hundred dvds/bds, and am always adding to the collection.

That said, I won't buy a CD anymore, unless it's to support an artist at a live show, so all my music is digital at this point. I had around 300 CDs, but right now I have probably 20-25.

I hate digital for books, though. If a book doesn't have a physical copy, I won't be reading it.

Video Games, I like digital, but if a game is available in a hard copy, I'll buy that over the digital, unless the digital is on sale. I like how PSN lets you re-download things you've bought, so i'm not worried about losing content.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
The issue I just ran into with this is a mini usb drive plug for one of my numerous external hard drives just broke. Now I cant use it until I get it fixed for find a similar part from another Seagate hard drive, if that is even an option.

3 terabytes worth of tv shows, movies and ebooks.

Lesson being, if you do go digital, invest in a quality hard drive not 'whats on sale'.

TriangleSmoke

Motherfucker of the Century
Site Donor
I gotta have my bluray/dvd's. I'm all for digital, but I like having the option.

As far as Kindles go, I won't ever use those unless I'm forced to. If I'm reading, I want a book. Paperback or hardback--either are good with me.

BadKarma

Pro of physical copies - how often is your house going to burn down compared to how often is a hard drive/storage media going to fail? Unless you backup religiously, I'd rather have the hard copy.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
Pro of physical copies - how often is your house going to burn down compared to how often is a hard drive/storage media going to fail? Unless you backup religiously, I'd rather have the hard copy.
My house has never burnt down but I have had many CDs/DVDs scratched to the point they stop working.

BadKarma

My house has never burnt down but I have had many CDs/DVDs scratched to the point they stop working.
I've had 1, possibly 2 CD's that were scratched to where I couldn't play parts of them, and I still have 1 of them in my collection. These were real CD's, not burned copies or anything. Gotta take care of your stuff if you want it to last would be my advice.

Pros of digital copies - especially for music, it's easier to find single songs from a particular group/artist if they have 3 or more albums from which to search through. Another pro is you can usually find more rare/hard-to-find/live stuff on digital than on physical copies.

I prefer physical copies to digital copies, but there are good and bad to both.

ChuckBooty 2.0

The downgraded upgrade
Site Donor
So, I'm a collector. I have around 1,000 blu rays, and countless dvds. My girlfriend is tired of them and wants me to go fully digital. Needless to say I have no desire to do so.

Here's where you guys come in. I need well informed opinions on the pro's and con's of making the switch. I need solid material to win this argument, or I need to be convinced that she is right.
I think it depends on what you do with your collection. If you're kind of a "movie junkie" and you actually watch those movies over and over, digital is the way to go because it's far more convenient to watch movies digitally (once you have a set-up hooked up to your TV anyways), and there's literally zero chance of a blueray/dvd getting scratched or whatever.

On the other hand, if you own those movies because having a nice, big, extensive movie collection on display makes you happy, keep the physical copies.

Actually either way you should set up a way to watch/store movies digitally. You don't gotta go all banana's with it either, it can be something as simple as hooking up an old desktop to your TV.

jokerthief

No reason to get excited.
Site Donor
I think there is something to the physicality of the DVDs that has value to you. So you should keep them. Plus, if you go digital, it will cost a lot of money. Unless there is a pressing need for the space these DVDs take up, I see no need to spend all that money. But the reality is that a "collection" of digital movies is not really a collection. You don't get the artwork of the covers. You can't gaze at your whole collection at once and take satisfaction at the size of it. And that is probably important to you. If it isn't, then maybe you could go digital and not lose something. But I'm guessing the physicality of a DVD is just as important as the actual movie to you. There is absolutely no reason to feel guilty if it is. That kind of thing is the whole point of collecting anything. If that kind of pleasure didn't exist, why collect anything?

But here's the real reason why you should keep them: because you're a MAN, not a wimpy beta who needs to justify himself to his girlfriend. If you want them, keep them, and that's the only reason you need to tell your girlfriend. Trust me on this, women do not like men who cave on shit like this. You'll get more respect from your girlfriend if you simply say something like this: "I've thought it over and I'm keeping them. I like the physicality and artwork of the cases." Don't say more than that. If you're having problems at this point, it means you have to improve your relationship game. See: http://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/ Be an alpha and your girlfriend will fuck you like you deserve.

Now I am going to give my thoughts on books, because my opinion is different on them.

I have switched to reading nearly all of my books digitally. I really don't like reading a physical book anymore. It's all because of highlighting and notes. I read mostly non-fiction books and in the past when I was only reading physical books, I would try to take notes while I read the important books. I rarely did this though. Now, reading on an iPad, it's really easy to take notes right in the kindle or scribd app. Kindle also allows you to highlight in 4 colors. This has been huge for me. I have a system where I highlight sources red, facts and other data blue, quotes from outside authors orange, and everything else yellow.

The other thing that is great about ebooks is that you can get definition and a wiki entry just by pressing on the word. Breaking out a dictionary is a pain in the ass, and when I read physical books I would only do so when I couldn't get an idea of what the word meant via context clues. Well, it turns out I am terrible at figuring out word meanings via context clues. I've found that certain words have a totally different meaning than I once thought. So in the past, I was misunderstanding tons of shit. This is a major problem when you read old books. A lot of dead words are used in old books.

The other issue is space. I have several hundred books on my iPad. I'd need another room in my house to store all those books. A lot of those books I haven't read. Really old books are usually free in the kindle store because their copyright has expired. So I have a library of probably 200 classic books that I got for free. I didn't have to pay for them and I don't have to store them. Good deal.

Last edited:

thumper

Staff member
personally? i'd take those blu-rays to walmart get them on vudu and never look back.

Put it this way, i did not install a cd-rom or blu-ray player in my PC this time, and I don't own a burner anymore. it's outdated, old technology. get out now.

very soon there will be no moving parts in your pc. the only sounds will be fans. you're behind the curve already

and really? i have all but stopped downoloading movies at all. Just go to putlocker and watch them free. if you really want the full 1080p orwhatever, download them. but when 4k monitors are under 400 bucks, those blu-rays are going to be low def very soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james101
Top Bottom