The NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I think Shaq did that as an old school motivational tool. He often references his father’s mentality and I think Shaq believes if he comes at a player like that, it will serve to motivate that player to get better. I don’t feel like Shaq was ragging on him just to rag on him.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Yeah I don't buy that. No one who watched Mitchell's performance last season in the bubble would buy that. He has all the motivation he needs. This is Shaq trying to have a "hot take" and it's annoying. This is Shaq making Mitchell's success somehow about him.

The Jazz are an average team. Which is a bad place to be in the NBA. Mitchell has had limited exposure to vets especially for his position and he's sharing the backcourt with a player that Utah is desperately trying to get back to his prior self. Mitchell has done an amazing job developing as a player. He's not going to carry the Jazz to a title or a deep run because that's not the composition of the Jazz. This is the same org that gave Golbert over 200 mil. Mitchell's future lies elsewhere, on a team better structured for his talent.

He doesn't need Shaq's validation especially when it's for clicks.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
I think Shaq did that as an old school motivational tool. He often references his father’s mentality and I think Shaq believes if he comes at a player like that, it will serve to motivate that player to get better. I don’t feel like Shaq was ragging on him just to rag on him.
The issue was it was completely hollow criticism. It would have been fine if Shaq said Mitchell needs to work on x, y, and z to take the next step, something constructive. He needs to demonstrate he knows what's it takes with his analysis if he going to question whether or not Mitchell has what it takes on a nationally televised show.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
The issue was it was completely hollow criticism. It would have been fine if Shaq said Mitchell needs to work on x, y, and z to take the next step, something constructive. He needs to demonstrate he knows what's it takes with his analysis if he going to question whether or not Mitchell has what it takes on a nationally televised show.
That's closer to Barkley's take. Barkley's opinion was, to summarize, that Mitchell lacks dimension in his game. Charles argued that the great players can beat you more than one way. Scoring sure, but also controlling the glass, anchoring the defense and shutting down the opposing team's best player, carving up defenses and zones by passing/assisting, or general playmaking. I don't mind that opinion but I don't think it's 100% accurate either. Mitchell plays the role that Utah has set for him. He could be a better defender, absolutely, but he's also under-sized.

Allow me to put this into perspective. Anyone reading this I want you to consider the following regarding "the best players" in the NBA:

LeBron James: 6'9
Kevin Durant: 6'11
Giannis: 6'11
Anthony Davis: 6'10
Kawhi Leonard: 6'7/6'8
Steph Curry: 6'3/6'4
James Harden: 6'5

Leaving off Jimmy Butler 6'7, Khris Middleton 6'7, Joel Embiid 7'0, Ben Simmons 6'10, Devin Booker 6'5, Dame 6'2, CJ 6'3, Jayson Tatum 6'8, and Luka Doncic 6'7

Do you notice a trend? Now..

Donovan Mitchell: 6'0

Donovan is unlikely to be you goto for lockdown defense on more than half of the above list. The players he can guard, just so happen to be acutely adept at drawing fouls. In terms of playmaking the Jazz have Conley and Ingles. Both facilitate the offense as primary ball handers. When the ball is in Mitchell's possession his role is to be a scoring threat allowing bigs to screen and roll or show off of penetration to dribble shots.

If the critique is "Mitchell needs to be a better spot up shooter". Okay, that seems fair. Or "Mitchell needs to get to the foul line over 8 times a game consistently". Sure, easier said than done but sure. Drawing fouls as a scoring threat is part of the NBA meta. It's how you break stats and how you stay in games you really shouldn't be staying in.

But the rest is nonsense. Physically he's not going to dominate larger players. He's not going to dominate the glass. He's not going to assume the opposing team's toughest cover. That's fucking stupid, you need him out of foul trouble with enough energy to keep the offense engaged and to handle broken plays and isolation. He's not going to be the Jazz's primary playmaker either though he can and does make plenty of plays for his teammates.

This is what bothers me about what Shaq said. He considered ^ none of this. He just thought "Mitchell should be better". The Jazz are tied for second in the West with the Clippers just behind the Lakers. Mitchell carried a short handed Jazz team in a razor close 7 game series just a few months ago. That was after repairing the relationship with Rudy Gobert, the NBA's patient zero, and the guy who gave Mitchell covid. It's astonishing to me the lack of respect for this kid given his career thus far and the lack of expectations the "experts" placed on him coming into the league. He's improved every year. It's a meaningless criticism to say "he's not that good" with NO FUCKING CONTEXT. That's garbage analysis.

Garbage.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Yea it’s a tough take for sure. It’s not how I would have gone about it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Speaking of Jordan, the Knicks have a better winning % than the Hornets.

How come no one wants to talk about Jordan's current contributions to the league?

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
The Nets home floor is really cool looking. It looks like they're playing on a green screen and the floor is projected digitally. It's almost like a video game.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Bucks are falling apart. They need to move Lopez and possibly Middleton. Bud is going to be out.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Yeah saw it live and when the cameras caught her freakshow face I was taking a sip of water and choked on it. I'll take looking like a Polish troll all day every day rather than a sex doll from Jigsaw's collection. That Tuberware bitch needs to be beaten by Marilyn Manson.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
That poor old steroid ass.

Sitting Courtside at an Atlanta Hawks game is like luxury boxes to Thursday night football in Jacksonville. There's better ways to flex.

split2874

Relax
The social distancing thing on bench cracks me up. So you can go play against someone in practice and be with them all the time but can't sit next to them on the bench.

Anyway. My Pelicans have been pretty up and down. But Zion is becoming a monster and it has been a lot of fun to watch. I am just taking this year as a developmental and discovery year. Find out what we have moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShakFu
Top Bottom