the Cops Do Bad Things thread

Do you trust the Police every single time?

• yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • no

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • fuck da police

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Trodden

Currently running late for my funeral
First....yes. Not all cops are bad. some help people

But make a thread celebrating cops if you like but so many stories come out about Cops abusing their authority it just deserves its own thread

And yes, these Cops dont represent ALL of Law Enforcement, and good ones are out there. Plenty of Cops help people and do good things. But adults shouldnt get patted on the back for doing the job they signed up for.

Being a Cop is a difficult job, Im sure. But having a difficult job doesnt give someone the right to use that job to harm people

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/us/baltimore-police-body-camera-videos/index.html

Baltimore public defenders say body camera video shows faked evidence

Baltimore police body camera videos show "multiple officers working together to manufacture evidence," according to the Baltimore City Office of the Public Defender, the second such instance of alleged misconduct caught on tape in recent weeks.
The videos show an officer finding drugs that another officer had allegedly placed there moments before, said Debbie Katz Levi, head of the city public defender's Special Litigation Section.
The case was dismissed for "suspected police misconduct," Levi said.
CNN has not independently obtained the videos. The public defender's office said it was not releasing the videos because it has not obtained permission from one of the co-defendants on tape, who has a separate private attorney.
The Baltimore City State's Attorney's office said it "had questions" about the officers' body camera videos and asked to postpone cases involving two officers amid an internal investigation, according to spokeswoman Melba Saunders.
"The Baltimore City States Attorney's Office referred two officers to Internal Affairs as we had questions concerning their Body Worn Camera videos," Saunders said in a statement. "Before we blanketly characterize their behavior as deceptive and or a credibility issue, we referred the matter to the Internal Affairs Division of the Baltimore Police Department."
T.J. Smith, a spokesman for Baltimore Police Department, said no officers were suspended but that two officers involved in that arrest were referred to the department's Internal Affairs Division. Authorities have not identified either officer.
Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis issued a memo on Tuesday with a stern warning not to "attempt to recreate the recovery of evidence after re-activating your body worn camera."
The latest video comes not long after body camera footage was released that appeared to show a Baltimore police officer planting drugs at the scene of an arrest in January.
Earlier video led to dismissed cases

Video shows cop plant evidence, public defender says 01:11
That video, released by the Office of the Public Defender, appears to show an officer placing a plastic bag into a food can and then hiding it under debris. The officer leaves the scene only to return shortly after, and appears to stumble upon that plastic bag of drugs in the can.
One officer in that video has been suspended, and two others were placed on administrative duty amid an investigation, officials said. Marilyn Mosby, the State's Attorney for Baltimore City, said 34 cases featuring these officers will be dismissed and another 77 are under review.
"Where these officers are material and necessary witnesses, we are dismissing those cases, which rely exclusively on the credibility of these officers," she said. The officers involved in that case have made no public comment.
Mosby also said that "an additional video raised concern," though it was not clear if that referred to this latest body camera video.
Baltimore Police began the rollout of the body camera program in May 2016.

Levi said the second body camera video dates to a drug arrest on November 29, 2016. The incident began when a man got into his girlfriend's car with what Baltimore police officers believed was a bag of drugs, so they stopped and searched the car and the two individuals, Levi said.
One officer searched the car and can be heard on his body camera audio expressing his frustration that they came up with nothing and that there'd be negative consequences if they didn't recover drugs and make an arrest, according to Levi.
The officers turned their body cameras off and then back on at staggered times, Levi said. She said that one officer told another, "No, you weren't supposed to turn yours on."
Levi said when the videos turn back on, one officer is seen squatting by the driver's seat area. "The group of officers then wait approximately 30 seconds. Shortly thereafter, another officer asks if the area by that compartment has been searched," she said.
"Nobody responds, and the officer reaches in and locates a bag that appears to contain drugs right by where the prior officer was, and where the car had been thoroughly searched about a half an hour prior with absolutely no results."
Seven officers were present during the interaction, but only two are said to have been referred to internal affairs by the state attorney's office, Levi said.
"We continue to call for full disclosure and swift action from the State's Attorney's office to ensure justice and fairness for the citizens of Baltimore," Levi said.

MBC

First....yes. Not all cops are bad. some help people

But make a thread celebrating cops if you like but so many stories come out about Cops abusing their authority it just deserves its own thread

And yes, these Cops dont represent ALL of Law Enforcement, and good ones are out there. Plenty of Cops help people and do good things. But adults shouldnt get patted on the back for doing the job they signed up for.

Being a Cop is a difficult job, Im sure. But having a difficult job doesnt give someone the right to use that job to harm people

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/us/baltimore-police-body-camera-videos/index.html

Baltimore public defenders say body camera video shows faked evidence
Talk like the majority of police are not good. Hahahaha. It's quite the opposite but carry on

Trodden

Talk like the majority of police are not good. Hahahaha. It's quite the opposite but carry on
this is exactly my fucking point

I wasnt comparing numbers

I never said the majority, or any type of fractional measurement

the fact is SOME Cops do bad shit

thats not even debatable

how many doesnt matter if even one does something that ruins the trust the community has in the police

I knew someone was going to go that route and say what you said which is why at the beginning I said

First....yes. Not all cops are bad

Im pretty sure saying Not all Cops are bad means the majority are not bad

but some are

and thats what this is about

MBC

this is exactly my fucking point

I wasnt comparing numbers

I never said the majority, or any type of fractional measurement

the fact is SOME Cops do bad shit

thats not even debatable

how many doesnt matter if even one does something that ruins the trust the community has in the police

I knew someone was going to go that route and say what you said which is why at the beginning I said

Im pretty sure saying Not all Cops are bad means the majority are not bad

but some are

and thats what this is about
Well when you say, "good ones are out there", sounds as if you are saying that as if you look hard you can find them sort of thing. Anyway that's it from me in this thread ha I'll sit back and watch. Enjoy

Trodden

Well when you say, "good ones are out there", sounds as if you are saying that as if you look hard you can find them sort of thing. Anyway that's it from me in this thread ha I'll sit back and watch. Enjoy
as long as you recognize its 'sounds as if'

thats an interpretation and not even close to what I meant

I have family in Law Enforcement and theyre good people

but Ive never said most or all

that was your reaction, not my intention

I could say your reaction meant that no one should overview cops and let them do whatever they want and break laws

but I dont believe you meant that

but fine, Ill say it

ATTENTION EVERYONE! Not all cops are bad

the majority are good people

however there are some who are not good people and this thread is dedicated to the MINORITY of Cops who do bad things

better @Walter Sobchak ?

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
The question in the thread makes everything a little to black and white.

Do I trust cops every sinlge time? As is have I ever not trusted the police?

I have seen questionable shit from police officers just as I have seen questionable shit from city councilors, nurses, pharmacists and many other professionals.

Trodden

The question in the thread makes everything a little to black and white.

Do I trust cops every sinlge time? As is have I ever not trusted the police?

I have seen questionable shit from police officers just as I have seen questionable shit from city councilors, nurses, pharmacists and many other professionals.
for some people it is black and white

if someone is arrested or pulled over some people will think that person has to have done something wrong

and whenever someone says something like 'the cops framed me' or 'the cops targeted me'

its seen as an excuse but as Ive gotten older Ive heard of more and more cases where cases have been overturned due to DNA or other evidence such as the drug planting seen in the two videos in question

I was raised in a cop house with some cops as relatives

you didnt question cops when I was a kid and over time I see thats a dumb policy to have

but thats the question posed

if a Cop says something do you assume its the truth no matter what or do you see them as someone who should be questioned

if you say they shouldnt be questioned then the chance of them being seen as 'innocent till proven guilty' is difficult

of course everyone is subject to bias, its how much you let it affect your judgement that matters

unforgivn

Nunquam Fidelis
A police officer's judgment should be accepted and followed in the moment, but in the aftermath everything should be open to analysis and criticism.

Trodden

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ws-officers-plant-drugs/ar-AApnWY3?li=BBnb7Kz

Another Baltimore Body-Cam Video Shows Officers 'Plant' Drugs

A number of criminal cases in Baltimore have gone up in smoke over the past two weeks after two Baltimore police body-camera videos have allegedly shown officers planting drugs on residents of the city.

The most recent video, released Tuesday by Baltimore defense attorney Josh Insley, has led the Baltimore City States Attorney's Office to refer two officers to Internal Affairs and postpone all cases involving the officers.

Five cases have also been dismissed — including Insley's client, Shamere Collins, 35, whose car appears in the newly released video.

"I think they put something in my car," Collins told NBC News' Stephanie Gosk in an exclusive interview.

Officers arrested Collins on Nov. 29, 2016, after they told her they smelled marijuana. They then searched her car and said they recovered bags of heroin and marijuana. She was later charged with felony distribution of narcotics.

The most recent video appears to show an officer place a baggie of what appears to be drugs inside of a car while surrounded by other Baltimore police. He then bends over again and appears to find them.

Collins, who admits to being a recreational marijuana smoker, said she was shocked to hear they had discovered the bags of weed and heroin.

"My mind — I went numb like — I didn't know what was going on," Collins said. "They [were] telling me I was facing time and all this ... so it's like I felt numb. I didn't know what to do."

Two officers in Collins' case were referred to Internal Affairs by the city's State Attorney's Office, which urged residents to not rush to judgment.

But, two weeks ago, Maryland Office of the Public Defender released a similar video in which an officer appeared to plant and later find drugs on a plot of a Baltimore residence. Three officers were implicated in the video.

The State's Attorney's Office said that it had dismissed or is set to dismiss 41 cases because of the first video, 55 are under review and 27 are considered viable cases to prosecute because of evidence beyond the officers' testimony.

Two of those officers were placed on administrative duty and one was suspended.

These cases of police evidence tampering aren't helping the image of a beleaguered agency one year removed from a U.S. Department of Justice report that described the Baltimore Police Department as engaging "in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the Constitution or federal law."

"What these videos show is a deep culture of disrespect for the people of Baltimore," said Assistant Public Defender Debbie Katz Levi.

The Baltimore Police Department is investigating both videos and advising officers to keep their body cameras on at all times.

Baltimore Police Spokesman T.J. Smith described the video as disturbing but said that the clip is perhaps being taken out of context.

"There's more to the story, I mean, the only sections that are being relooped and relooped are the questionable sections," he told NBC News.

Smith later suggested that the police may have recreated the drug discovery for the body cameras.

Still, Collins said that it has shaken her faith in the Baltimore police, which she said is widespread throughout the city.

"It makes us even scared to address the police or call them for anything because we're scared," Collins said. "I'm not saying all police are bad because I have law [enforcement] in my family. So I'm not saying all of them are bad but it's ... the one's that's bad is making all of them look bad."

cheeseflosser

I'm of the firm opinion that the person standing between me or my family and a bullet deserves the benefit of the doubt and due process. This opinion makes a full 180-degree turn when that person violates the public trust.

My new favorite virtue statement is, "I have cops in my family." It's becoming the equivalent of saying, "There's no way I'm racist, I've got a black buddy."

MBC

Wasn't the passenger making furtive gestures under the seat? The officer is standing with his finger off the trigger and is very calm as he should be. Speaks clear and appropriately. I would say this officer is pretty well trained, of course I don't know this departments policy and procedures either. His back up was stuck in traffic I guess? Not sure what the problem is here from my perspective.

Last edited:

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
Wasn't the passenger making furtive gestures under the seat? The officer is standing with his finger off the trigger and is very calm as he should be. Speak clear and appropriately. I would say this officer is pretty well trained, of course I don't know this departments policy and procedures either. His back up was stuck in traffic I guess? Not sure what the problem is here from my perspective.
i think it would be terrifying for he passenger to know any second that the cop could put a bullet in his brain and your life would be over, you never get say goodbye to your family, see your kids, kiss your wife, see the sunrise, smell a flower, all gone because this cop can end your life without blinking.
No cop should have to fear that he could die if he pulls over someone but same goes for regular people. America is fucking crazy, you guys really need to do something with your gun culture.

MBC

i think it would be terrifying for he passenger to know any second that the cop could put a bullet in his brain and your life would be over, you never get say goodbye to your family, see your kids, kiss your wife, see the sunrise, smell a flower, all gone because this cop can end your life without blinking.
No cop should have to fear that he could die if he pulls over someone but same goes for regular people. America is fucking crazy, you guys really need to do something with your gun culture.
The Cop is not going to put a bullet in his brain if he is compliant ect, which the guy was, the officer also conducted himself professionally. He had his finger off the trigger as you are trained to do and he was standing like this because the person was reaching under his seat. He was nott freaking and geeking at the passenger in fact he was calm and professional. As I said above I don't see the issue here. The stop was resolved and all parties went on their way.
[DOUBLEPOST=1502177909,1502177722][/DOUBLEPOST]And I know you will continue to tell me how police should do their job because you just know everything. So that will be all I'll say on this particular situation.

Trodden

The Cop is not going to put a bullet in his brain if he is compliant ect, which the guy was, the officer also conducted himself professionally. He had his finger off the trigger as you are trained to do and he was standing like this because the person was reaching under his seat. He was nott freaking and geeking at the passenger in fact he was calm and professional. As I said above I don't see the issue here. The stop was resolved and all parties went on their way.
[DOUBLEPOST=1502177909,1502177722][/DOUBLEPOST]And I know you will continue to tell me how police should do their job because you just know everything. So that will be all I'll say on this particular situation.
being upset with the one way an officer handled something doesnt mean someone is saying what the right answer is

someone being upset with an officer isnt being upset at all officers

people are allowed to criticize the police without indicting the entire system

just because a waiter was rude doesnt mean no waiter should be respected

I dont understand the 'cops shouldnt be questioned because you dont understand the job' mentality

criticizing the police is really no different than criticizing politicians

its our job as citizens to watch those in power to prevent abuse as much as possible

not to mention dissent is an American right

those who blindly accept power without question are the first pinned by it

Users who are viewing this thread

UFC 262 Olivera vs Chandler

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

The trick to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
spring for the real Parmesan-Reggiano- desecrating a five-hour ragu with stuff from the green can would not only be disastrously counter-productive and sad, but borderline immoral.
So getting snipped today. Gonna sit in the basement game and enjoy bags of frozen peas
Miz
Stand aside to better men, or blaze a trail and become one.
The mind-killer fears reality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulieGMMA
Top Bottom