The Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I'm hesitant to write this because a lot of times when you commit these kinds of thoughts to record people take it as evidence. What I'm about to promote is a stereotype, a generalize observation, but one that befuddles me and affects me personally.

There seems to be an inclination by Puerto Ricans to disparage other immigrants and minorities without recognizing those characteristics in and of themselves. There seems to be some degree of "siding" with white America but at the same time trying to retain a Latin-centric cultural identity.

My first encounter with this sort of attitude(?) was my own mother. She was born in Puerto Rican and moved to the States as a child. She has contempt and disdain for other Latin immigrants. Not seeing any irony whatsoever in that philosophy.

When I began working in manufacturing plants in the late 90s, I worked with a mix of groups but primarily with Dominicans, El Salvadorians and other Central Americans, and Puerto Ricans. It soon became apparent that Puerto Ricans were not, let's say, well regarded by the other groups. Including the Dominicans. The best consensus I could infer is that Puerto Ricans thought they were superior to the other groups, and the other groups didn't appreciate Puerto Ricans seemingly picking and choosing when to adhere to their ethnicity. For example their Spanish-speaking was typically broken or Spanglish, but they would claim sort of ethnic preeminence if that makes sense. Many were born State-side and had not migrated from native regions so it would appear disingenuous and false to the other groups.

Outside of the tri-state area I have not met a single Puerto Rican. So I don't know if this a regional thing. But it's interesting to me nevertheless.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
I'm hesitant to write this because a lot of times when you commit these kinds of thoughts to record people take it as evidence. What I'm about to promote is a stereotype, a generalize observation, but one that befuddles me and affects me personally.

There seems to be an inclination by Puerto Ricans to disparage other immigrants and minorities without recognizing those characteristics in and of themselves. There seems to be some degree of "siding" with white America but at the same time trying to retain a Latin-centric cultural identity.

My first encounter with this sort of attitude(?) was my own mother. She was born in Puerto Rican and moved to the States as a child. She has contempt and disdain for other Latin immigrants. Not seeing any irony whatsoever in that philosophy.

When I began working in manufacturing plants in the late 90s, I worked with a mix of groups but primarily with Dominicans, El Salvadorians and other Central Americans, and Puerto Ricans. It soon became apparent that Puerto Ricans were not, let's say, well regarded by the other groups. Including the Dominicans. The best consensus I could infer is that Puerto Ricans thought they were superior to the other groups, and the other groups didn't appreciate Puerto Ricans seemingly picking and choosing when to adhere to their ethnicity. For example their Spanish-speaking was typically broken or Spanglish, but they would claim sort of ethnic preeminence if that makes sense. Many were born State-side and had not migrated from native regions so it would appear disingenuous and false to the other groups.

Outside of the tri-state area I have not met a single Puerto Rican. So I don't know if this a regional thing. But it's interesting to me nevertheless.
In South Florida as well, at least in my high school.

jesusatemyhotdog

Welcome to the machine.

My wife is Latina. There is a lot of inter-Latin prejudice from her family.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
In South Florida as well, at least in my high school.
I have a buddy who grew up down there. He said many Hispanics, especially light skinned Hispanics forget they are Hispanic and act like that too.
Post automatically merged:

My wife is Latina. There is a lot of inter-Latin prejudice from her family.
Ever want to make a Puerto Rican or any other Hispanic mad, call them Mexican.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
It's a very fucked up disposition. As a result I rarely identify myself as Puerto Rican specifically because I never know how it'll be perceived. I try to establish my personality first before I divulge my ethnicity. Less of an issue in the South ironically. In the North I got both instant cred and instant hate for being Puerto Rican.

Bran

The wolf dead.
It's a very fucked up disposition. As a result I rarely identify myself as Puerto Rican specifically because I never know how it'll be perceived. I try to establish my personality first before I divulge my ethnicity. Less of an issue in the South ironically. In the North I got both instant cred and instant hate for being Puerto Rican.
I'm half Mexican, and the rest is Irish/Czech. I am a very white man. For a lot of people, my being Mexican is basically trivia, like when you know a panda bear isn't really a bear, it's a marsupial. Most of my Mexican family are military and "hump your flag" American. I don't know how much of that comes from the immigrant experience, like "I had to work hard to get here, so you'd better be grateful you're here too," or how much is "I'm an American now and part of the deal is I'm supposed to hate non-Americans." But there's a lot of anti-black and anti-immigrant rhetoric from that side of my family.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Yeah extended family, my uncles, except one, cousins, on my Mother's side were all racist towards Blacks and Mexicans. Again - they saw themselves as part of White America even when White America would find that delusional. My Uncle was almost court marshalled for punching a superior officer who called him a spic. I just could never resolve it in my head as a kid so I guess I didn't pay attention to it still I started experiencing the politics in factory life.

I think the closest approximation I found was the way some Cuban Americans view Haitians.

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
One of my best friends from college was Guatemalan. One time we ate a bunch of shrooms and he translated Spanish rap from the tv. What are we talking about? My squad leader, for a time, was Puerto Rican and man was he a dick. I don’t hold that against Puerto Rican’s. In Basic Training we had a Peurto Rican named “big dick” Rivas. Biggest cock I’ve ever seen in person. I sometimes wonder if his wife has ever got used to that monster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Somedays all of the beautiful things in my life break my heart.
I'll sleep when I wake up.
LebenTysonTank wrote on Miz's profile.
Any idea how I can upload an mp4 video? I recently knocked out this 250 pound face tattooed mexican gangbanger in front of my house,and one of the neighbors recorded it.
"I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom