Ted Cruz introduced a term limit bill (1 Viewer)

chrisc

Ninja
Republican Sen. Ted Cruz introduced a constitutional amendment Friday that would restrict senators to two six-year terms. If it's passed, it would limit Cruz's Senate career to its current term.

The amendment would also limit members of the House of Representatives to three two-year terms. It's cosponsored by Republican Sens. Marco Rubio, Mike Lee, and David Purdue.

Cruz just began his second consecutive term in the US Senate, after winning reelection in November 2018 over Democratic candidate Beto O'Rourke. He's set to end his term in 2025.

Currently, terms in both houses of Congress are unlimited, although there are limits to the number of terms members of Congress may have on committees. Cruz has been a longtime critic of the Constitution not including term limits. He introduced a similar bill a year ago, according to ABC News.

"For too long, members of Congress have abused their power and ignored the will of the American people," Cruz told ABC. "Term limits on members of Congress offer a solution to the brokenness we see in Washington, D.C. It is long past time for Congress to hold itself accountable. I urge my colleagues to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification."

For the amendment to be passed, it would need to be approved by two-thirds of both houses of Congress and then ratified by 38 states. The last constitutional amendment, the 27th, was ratified in 1992.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ted-cruz-term-limit-amendment-term-senate-2019-1

chrisc

Ninja
He must be getting ready to move on to something else.
Isn't that when these clowns introduce term limits.
I’m sure he does, but I think it’s still for the best. It would make this his last term. He introduced a similar bill last year

William Munny

I get the concept behind it, but there are already built in term limits, they are called "elections." Especially nowadays where more and more incumbents are losing primaries as well general elections.

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
I get the concept behind it, but there are already built in term limits, they are called "elections." Especially nowadays where more and more incumbents are losing primaries as well general elections.
the problem is once you get in then you have the money and power to stay in.

I am for term limits being designed where you can only serve two terms, then you are out and must wait 4 or six years to run again.
So you serve two 6 years terms as a senator you have to wait 12 years until you can run again, same would go for congress serve 2 four terms then wait 8 years. this would discourage politicians from having lifetime appointments and stop them from always having to fund raise.

unforgivn

Nunquam Fidelis
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that that the current political climate means that incumbents only ever get primaried by more politically extreme challengers.

chrisc

Ninja
Unless I’m mistaken, hasnt term limits been a big issue for both liberals and conservatives? Especially liberals with the idea of getting these old white men who have held seats for so long out? Elections are not even close to term limits
[DOUBLEPOST=1546710410,1546710351][/DOUBLEPOST]I can’t help but wonder if the lack of support is more about who’s proposing the bill than the bill itself

Poindexter

Staff member
The existing presidential term limits are appropriate. The limits for the Senate don't carry a similar weight for me. The argument that we get complacency and corruption from these life-time congress members is convincing, but that calls for significantly stricter legal responses, punitively speaking, in addition to a more educated and ethically-responsible electorate, IMO. The latter is difficult when certain sections of those in "public service" rely on and cater to the uneducated voters and the sentiment and pathos they embody.

Poindexter

Staff member
Wouldn’t educated voters be even more of a reason for term limits?
You'd have to explain that to me. My understanding is that educated voters would lead to more competent leadership and that the current time frames would allow for qualitatively-sound corrections to be made at election times.

chrisc

Ninja
if there were educated voters how would the GOP win any majorities.
And there’s the ignorant comment! Freak wins again!
[DOUBLEPOST=1546715744,1546715654][/DOUBLEPOST]I voted for a Republican here in Florida. Are you saying I’m uneducated ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I'll come running to tie your shoes.
God damn your righteous hand
I was talking like two hands knocking, yelling "let me in, let me in, please come out."
RIP Ennio Morricone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks