Roku vs Chromecast

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I have 2 Rokus, but imo nothing is superior to game consoles when it comes to streaming. Obviously Roku, Chrome, Apple, and Amazon will have more TV-app options so it'll depend on what you're planning to watch. I find the hardware of consoles to be far more stable than the upper end variants of the streamers. I have to restart my Rokus at least 3 times a week otherwise they fall into a redundancy of operation where apps won't load or audio will cut out or shit will freeze.

I'd recommend a used ps4 or Xbox one s over any streamer.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
I have 2 Rokus, but imo nothing is superior to game consoles when it comes to streaming. Obviously Roku, Chrome, Apple, and Amazon will have more TV-app options so it'll depend on what you're planning to watch. I find the hardware of consoles to be far more stable than the upper end variants of the streamers. I have to restart my Rokus at least 3 times a week otherwise they fall into a redundancy of operation where apps won't load or audio will cut out or shit will freeze.

Xbox over ps4, xbox has more app options

Spoon

There is no Spoon
MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion
Survival Pool Champion
Any reason why you wouldn't consider a Firestick? Cookies are plentiful on it.

Bran

Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?

You know, I had the exact opposite experience. I used to use my ps3 and ps4 but found them failing pretty often on me and the app selection is limited. I have a Roku TV and a Roku device that I do the majority of my streaming on and I rarely have a problem. I've had them for probably 4 years and I feel like I've manually restarted them maybe 6 or 7 times over the years. They update automatically and I never have an issue with having to put my info back in all the time. I put my cousin's netflix in once 4 years ago and have been using it since. I don't know what other devices have to offer in comparison, though I didn't like the interface for the Fire Stick when I briefly dabbled there, but I've been extremely satisfied with Roku.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
For cookies, I use Google Chromecast where I share my whole tab with Chromecast from Chrome (after zooming into the video). Chromecasting the cookie video directly is not supported by the cookies I've encountered and I've looked around. It's not bad, not great.

If a Firestick has cookies, I'd be curious to hear from people here: How does it work with full screen video for the MMA cookies? Do pop-up ads happen?

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I use the Apple TV both at home and my office and that's with having smart tvs. I love the interface over all others. I don't know if it's crackable though if you're looking to eat cookies.

Spoon

There is no Spoon
MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion
Survival Pool Champion
If a Firestick has cookies, I'd be curious to hear from people here: How does it work with full screen video for the MMA cookies? Do pop-up ads happen?
Typically I find a Live TV/Sports app, rather than using an internet browser. Unfortunately the one I have been using got shut down this week, so I'll be searching for a new one this weekend.

Using a browser, it can be hit or miss, but mostly miss. When it does work, there are typically pop-up, and they usually send you to another page, which is obviously annoying. But I've only used the Amazon Silk browser, so I don't know if Firefox or another one would work better. There are also some sites that have the damn red X that you have to click to close, in order to view the video. Doesn't work well, or at all, with the standard remote. But I have an Air Mouse (requires an OTG cable with a USB port), so I can mimic a mouse and click it.

Bran

How are the free movie apps on Roku? I'm cheap
The legal ones, like Tubi and a few others, including the Roku channel have a decent amount of content on there, though it's all ad-supported. As far as pirated ones, I don't think there's any of those apps

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
The legal ones, like Tubi and a few others, including the Roku channel have a decent amount of content on there, though it's all ad-supported. As far as pirated ones, I don't think there's any of those apps
Roku used to have a bunch of illegal channels you just needed to get the code for. Super easy to use. Did they get rid of those?

Bran

Pluto TV is really great, a fella could live off just that.
Honestly, outside of the annoyance of them playing the same 3 commercials every break and ads coming in at odd intervals, it’s about as good as free tv gets. They got a RiffTrax and MST3K channel

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
Honestly, outside of the annoyance of them playing the same 3 commercials every break and ads coming in at odd intervals, it’s about as good as free tv gets. They got a RiffTrax and MST3K channel
Fucking BOTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Stand aside to better men, or blaze a trail and become one.
The mind-killer fears reality
Mind-killer is the mind-killer
Reality is the mind-killer.
You know you're old when you are hyped that you got a breadmaker for your birthday. Thing is it makes cakes and jams too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayphatty
Top Bottom