Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya set for title unifier at Melbourne's Marvel Stadium (1 Viewer)

Malevolence

Mostly harmless
Should be in New Zealand.
Can’t hold it outdoors as the weather is too unpredictable, we got one stadium with a retractable roof the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin that’d seat 35,000 give or take, the city would possibly struggle to cope with an event that size though, not enough accommodation, other than that we have small arenas that seat 10,000 max. In Aussie they’ll sell out the Etihad 55,000 plus. It’ll be in Aussie.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
Can’t hold it outdoors as the weather is too unpredictable, we got one stadium with a retractable roof the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin that’d seat 35,000 give or take, the city would possibly struggle to cope with an event that size though, not enough accommodation, other than that we have small arenas that seat 10,000 max. In Aussie they’ll sell out the Etihad 55,000 plus. It’ll be in Aussie.
Have em fight in a parking lot in New Zealand I say!

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Robert Whittaker thinks he could give Jon Jones ‘a run for his money’
Speaking yesterday with Submission Radio, Robert Whittaker suggested that after he beats Adesanya, he and Jones will be in a similar place - having cleaned out their divisions - and that a superfight would make sense.

“He’s kind of cleaned out his division,” Whittaker said. “It’s one of those things. We’ll have to wait and see. I’m gonna fight Adesanya, then I’ll be a little free myself.

“I’d definitely move up, not down. But if he’s looking for opponents, that’s a fight. That’s a great fight.”

It’s an interesting idea, and one that has scarcely been considered, despite a number of other middleweight contenders moving up and having success at light heavyweight. Part of that is probably because of Whittaker’s history as a welterweight, but it also hasn’t been on the radar because Whittaker has not pushed for it, something he says makes more sense to consider now that he’s on the cusp of beating most of the top guys at 185 pounds.

“Well, while I was making my run through the middleweight division and fighting in the division, it was very hard for me to plan outside of the division,” Whittaker said. “Obviously, all my focus has been on the division and doing work there and making waves and making moves there, but seeing Jon Jones looking for opponents and then idea of moving up, I don’t hate that idea.”

Perhaps he should. Jones’ record against former middleweights is a sterling 3-0, with the chance to move to 4-0 when he takes on Thiago Santos at UFC 239 this July. But, as you might expect, Whittaker thinks he could be the one to put an end to that winning streak.

“Yeah man, why not?” Whittaker asked. “I think I could just give him a run for his money. I surprise a lot of people and I’m full of tricks. I think the intensity I bring into a fight is something that a lot of people aren’t prepared for. But he’s a great fighter, he’s super, super dangerous. I’m under no illusion how hard it would be, and yeah, I think it would be fun.”

And as for Adesanya? Coming off his interim title win, “The Last Stylebender” has been getting all the attention from Jones at this moment. But Whittaker thinks a fight between them would be over before it began.

“I think Jon Jones would kill him [laughs],” Whittaker said. “Yeah, I think it’s silly, but then Israel just kind of take jabs and bites out of everyone, doesn’t he? Yeah, he’s got a big mouth.”

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Israel Adesanya wants Paulo Costa ‘before USADA gets him’
There’s no love lost between Israel Adesanya and Paulo Costa.

While the two have shared a competitive rivalry in the past, dating back to last July when the both emerged victorious from their respective bouts, the two young middleweights seemed destined to meet in a high-profile scrap down the rad.

However, since then, Adesanya climbed aboard a rocket ship and propelled himself up the middleweight rankings. This meteoric rise culminated with “The Last Stylebender” claiming the UFC interim middleweight title with a hard fought win over Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 236. On the other side, Costa has yet to return to the Octagon since his win over Uriah Hall at UFC 226. While he was tied to a pair of fights against Yoel Romero, neither came to fruition. It was later revealed “Borrachinha” had been fined by New York Athletic Commission for using what he described as “stomach medication.”

But what does the hulking Brazilian think of his Nigerian counterpart’s tear through the division? Not much, as he took to his Instagram to share his thoughts.

“Really this is the interim (fake) champ?” wrote Costa. “No doubt this weight division has already been better than this s**t. Enjoy this while you can man, I really hope that you take the real belt one day to meet me. Note: And I’m not the Gastelum.”

Upon hearing this, Adesanya unearthed a barrage of heated words for Costa during an appearance on The MMA Hour.

“Fake champ? Does he have belt?. He wishes he was a fake champion as well” Adesanya laughed. “Didn’t he get popped for something recently? Like Açaí in the stomach or something? I just want to get him before USADA gets him and eventually, if he climbs up the ranks like he thinks he will, then eventually we’ll see each other. Gastelum is a tough guy and he got touched up by Uriah. Did you see his face after the Uriah fight? He got touched up.”

“But, hey, even Chris Weidman gave me props. He gave me props when it was due. So, a guy like [Costa] is salty. He’s salty because I’m the one getting the shine so they’re trying to steal my shine and I’m like ‘f*ck no.’”

Refusing to relent, Adesanya shifted his message towards the rest of his critics.

“If you ain’t got haters then you ain’t doing it right,” Adesanya said. “Before me, there was Jesus. I’m not saying I’m even close, I’m just saying no matter who you are you’re going to have haters. I just welcome it now.”

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
October? Plenty of time for Robert Withdrawal to pull out of the fight with a broken something or other.
[DOUBLEPOST=1556639845,1556639774][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah that's what happened.
GSP is as willing to fight Whitaker as he is to fight Woodley.

GSP don't want either of those fights. The fights won't draw as well as other possibilities, AND he's gonna get his shit pushed in. That's the definition of a lose-lose

Qball1974

Tired
Site Donor
GSP is as willing to fight Whitaker as he is to fight Woodley.

GSP don't want either of those fights. The fights won't draw as well as other possibilities, AND he's gonna get his shit pushed in. That's the definition of a lose-lose
One of the most decorated and successful fighters in MMA history is going to get his shit pushed in,

sure.

Reactions: S=E

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."
thumper wrote on DOCTOR's profile.
Yoink! man what would we do without @DOCTOR posting events?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties