Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya set for title unifier at Melbourne's Marvel Stadium (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
UFC wants Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya unifier in Australia, interim champ pushes for New Zealand
UFC President Dana White wants a stadium show in Australia for the Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya middleweight title unifier after “The Last Stylebender” won interim gold at UFC 236.

Adesanya (17-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) defeated Kelvin Gastelum (15-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) by unanimous decision on Saturday to claim the interim 185-pound belt in “Fight of the Year” contender, which co-headlined UFC 236. The win sets up a showdown with Whittaker (20-4 MMA, 11-2 UFC), and White said he knows exactly where he wants it to take place.

“We were going to do that fight here; I wanted that fight in the U.S.,” White told reporters, including MMA Junkie, post-fight at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. “We’re definitely not doing that fight in the U.S. That fight is going to Australia. It will be massive in Australia. I put my guys on that. That’s their homework for this week. A stadium, not an arena, A stadium in Australia.”

Whittaker currently lives in Australia and has been scheduled to headline cards twice in the country over the past two years. He couldn’t make it to fight night for either matchup, but White said he hopes the third time will be the charm in a stadium environment.

Adesanya, who hails from New Zealand after being born in Nigeria, said he has a different idea in mind, though. He wants the fight on his home turf and said he will encourage the promotion to make that happen. First, though, he has to heal up from a brutal fight in which he took much damage.

“It could be in Australia, but Auckland I think is a viable option, as well,” Adesanya said. “We can push back and forth, because he is a born Kiwi but he’s a Maussie. He’s representing Australia. When I’ll be ready again? He says August. I say let me go shower first.

“I want to be able to just close my mouth properly first, and then we’ll see.”

Time will tell where the bout ultimately takes place, but for now White said he’s reveling in the greatness that was Adesanya’s memorable encounter with Gastelum.

“Gastelum-Adesanya is one of the greatest fights I’ve ever seen in my life,” White said.
[DOUBLEPOST=1555282031,1555281904][/DOUBLEPOST]Paulo Costa mocks 'fake' champ Israel Adesanya: The division has 'been better than this (expletive)'

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Jon Jones not buying into Israel Adesanya hype after UFC 236: ‘There’s only one Jon Jones’
“My man had a toe to toe kick boxing match with a short stubby wrestler,” Jones said in one tweet of a series that has since been deleted. “There’s only one Jon Jones ladies and gentlemen.”

Jones went on to clarify that he meant no disrespect to Gastelum and he actually complimented Gastelum for putting on a strong striking performance against an opponent with a decorated kickboxing background.

Jones concluded the series by writing, “You can believe the hype if you want to. I’ve seen all I had to see.” And then offering a parting shot at Adesanya.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Did I miss something? Was IZ talking shit to Jones before this?
Yeh, he has a gimmick where he talks about eating goats. Said he got his first taste in Anderson and Jones was looking good. Then it went a bit back and forth via the media, but this is the first twitter interaction that extended beyond one tweet thus far that I know of.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1555374389,1555374336][/DOUBLEPOST]Robert Whittaker: Israel Adesanya should be 'very worried' after being 'exploited' at UFC 236
Whittaker said the performance and win over Gastelum was a step up, but it also gave him great confidence that he can take away Adesanya’s undefeated record.

“I think this fight forced him to draw a little bit more out of the tank, a little bit more will power, a little bit more heart,” Whittaker told “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show” on ESPN. “You can see in the fight his ups and downs. A little bit more trials, a little bit more obstacles he had to get over. The adversity he had to get through to make sure he lasted to the end of the fight. I thought it was an amazing fight from both guys.

“If you watch the fight you can see the holes that were there from every fight before, they just got exposed bigger. There were holes and there were a lot of things Gastelum exploited, and there were a lot of things Gastelum could’ve exploited but couldn’t because of his makeup, because of his striking style, because of his height, his reach. Gastelum was getting in. Gastelum was landing his left. I’ll get in, I’ll land my right. I’m much faster than Gastelum, I’m a better striker. Israel should be very worried. I’m a very hard fight.”

Although there appeared to be some animosity even prior to UFC 236, Whittaker said he didn’t have a rooting interest in the fight between Adesanya and Gastelum. He would’ve been happy to take on whichever man came out of the pay-per-view headliner, which took place at State Farm Arena in Atlanta.

Adesanya has said he believes Whittaker’s relatively inactive fight schedule stemming from injuries and fight withdrawals should’ve resulted in being stripped of the middleweight title. He called himself the “real” champion after UFC 236, and Whittaker thinks that’s because Adesanya can’t handle that he has to share the “spotlight.”

“He had a great win on the weekend and it seems like every time someone asks him a question or they put the spotlight on him for two seconds, he can’t help but mention my name; it’s a little concerning to be honest,” Whittaker said. “He can’t stand the fact people like me more than him. And even if they don’t, he can’t stand the fact people are talking about me in the same sentence as him. He can’t do it. He wants all the spotlight. He wants all the attention, and he can have it. But I find it funny that it gets to him. Just relax, mate. Great fight. You got yourself a shiny belt. We can fight for my one later.

“I’ve got to say, I don’t understand why this guy is riled up about what I said. The only critical thing I’ve ever said about him is I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. You take that how you want, but he makes it seem like I’m talking behind his back all the time. That’s just how I feel, sorry. Sorry it gets you so upset. He just needs to relax.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1555374729][/DOUBLEPOST]Israel Adesanya opens as +135 underdog in title unification fight against Robert Whittaker

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!

Goremire

Site Donor
1) Shut the fuck up Jones
2) You shut the fuck up too knuckles, how bout you make it to a damn fight before you talk shit.
Whaaaaaat? Bobby's had some bad luck on the injury/illness front in the last year but his track record at middleweight is fucking stellar. Dude gets to have an opinion if he wants one.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Anderson Silva: Israel Adesanya 'crossed the line' with disrespect of Jon Jones
“The way I see it, as an athlete, he disrespected Jon Jones,” Silva told reporters, including MMA Junkie, today in Brazil. “I think for the business, for (UFC President) Dana (White), it’s great. It’s great business for the UFC. Regardless of whether they fight or not, the UFC wins – and the fans. But there is a lack of respect. I think he crossed the line a bit.”

Silva said he understands that Adesanya is “young” and full of vigor, however, he is a traditionalist and believes it’s important to show respect for the more successful fighters who have been around the game a long time. Adesanya showed that respect to “The Spider” before their encounter earlier this year, and he thinks the same should happen with Jones.

“With time, he’ll learn how to deal with those things,” Silva said. “I think he has to respect everything Jon Jones has done. It’s two great fighters. In the future, who knows – they might fight. But I’m from a time when you have honor. You respect everyone’s space. And that’s my opinion.”

Silva said he is not trying to take shots at Adesanya. However, the longtime former champion has seen and done a lot in the sport, and while he knows the beef could help build to a big fight down the line, he would like for Adesanya to be more reserved.

“That’s my personal opinion because Israel is young and Jon Jones has a great story for a long time in this sport,” Silva said. “I think Adesanya needs to respect Jon Jones, but for the business, it’s good for Dana.

“I respect all fighters, especially Jon Jones. Jon Jones is my young brother and I don’t have a problem talking about Jon Jones. He’s the best fighter in the world.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Members online

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel