Recovery Thread

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
Don’t forget rule 62 fellas. Don’t take yourself to damn seriously!

Miz

Great Work Q!

Still playing the guitar a lot. 6 months in and making progress. Played with my cousin and brother last Friday. Got to be ok at where I’m at in the process. Humbling feeling with how good they are. Just got to stay the course. It’s like when I started BJJ I got tapped by everyone. The more I train the better I’ll get. Need to be comforatble being a white belt.

My last big test is this weekend. Our annual golf tournament. Make it through this and I’m on the downhill for getting a one year coin on August 17. I’m strong and I can do it.

Poindexter

Staff member
My last big test is this weekend. Our annual golf tournament. Make it through this and I’m on the downhill for getting a one year coin on August 17. I’m strong and I can do it.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but why not just skip that tournament and go next year?

Miz

I'm sure you have your reasons, but why not just skip that tournament and go next year?
Its one of my favorite things of the year. It’s a three man and I play with the same group each year. Everyone approaches sobriety differently. I’m not going to quit my friends just because I lost the ability to drink. That doesn’t mean I go to the bars just to chill. Go to the barber shop enough and you’ll get a hair cut. But I do want to continue to do stuff I enjoy. Hell barbecuing is something I love, and something I love to do drunk, but I’ve figured out a way I can do it without drinking. If I didn’t feel in a good headspace I wouldn’t go. I’ll have the out of going to my mom’s house if I can’t stay at my brothers. I talk to my sponsor everyday and I’ll keep that ritual. I really enjoy this three man and I still want to do it. And I can do it sober.
I hope you guys wouldn’t see me as a preachy person there. I don’t hate alcohol. It’s real fun for lots of people. It’s just not good for me. Most people can handle booze. I can’t. I still want to be around my brothers and as long as I keep up on my zoom meetings and talk to my sponsor then I will win. I actually feel empowered.
Post automatically merged:

This will sound dumb, but I’m not going to be sober if I can’t still have fun. Life began when I got sober. It didn’t end.

Miz

Made it fine through my golf tournament without drinking. Only once did I want a drink. Saw a guy with a corona and thought how nice one with a lime in it would taste. Then remembered how bad I’d feel the next day after I drank a whole 20 pack of them. My friends were very supportive of me. Had a good time. Got to keep my guard up but I should be able to ride downhill to 365 days now.

Miz

Was in a real shitty mood yesterday. At least I was able to recognize it. Feel much better today. Hope you guys are doing ok.

Miz

332 days without drinking. Almost a month shy of a year. Feeling pretty good. Need to start working out again. Maybe start a morning bike ride.

Miz

I'll ride with you, want to meet half way.
I may take you up on that. My buddy recently moved to Minnesota (his daughter had a heart and liver transplant and now has to live close to the hospital). I definitely want to meet up with you if/when I go to visit. He was my hunting buddy so I’d like to go up there and fish with him someday.

Miz

How’s everyone doing? I’m bored as hell but still having fun. I’m tired of being a stay at home dad. Trying to figure out my next steps. Got something on the line but the college needs to go back to normal. Not holding my breathe cause I think the pandemic will get worse. Hopefully the job will materialize of the college kids go back to class this fall.
I’ve doubled down on learning to play guitar. Seven months in. It can be a bit frustrating but I’ve got to be happy with what I know and work on what I don’t know. Progress not perfection.

Poindexter

Staff member
I'm happy to be working from home. It's not the best set-up, and trying to get this kid to do homework is self-flagellation, but other than that, I'd rather not go back to an office space with all the bullshit involved.

Reactions: Miz

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
Miz man, you’re still a huge inspiration in pulling strength from ones self.

have you ever thought about healthcare?

Reactions: Miz

Miz

Miz man, you’re still a huge inspiration in pulling strength from ones self.

have you ever thought about healthcare?
I’ve kind of thought about it. I’m not sure I want to go back to school. I already did that in my mid to upper 20’s for teaching. The community college near me is starting to offer a vet tech cert. They’re doing it with the university. I thought about that as I’ve always loved animals, and I think I could take that stress better than being a nurse and having patients die. I want something low stress. I do love helping people, and my strong point is building good relationships. As a teacher I was good at building relationships with students, teachers, and parents.
What were you thinking(?)and thanks for the kind words.

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
I’ve kind of thought about it. I’m not sure I want to go back to school. I already did that in my mid to upper 20’s for teaching. The community college near me is starting to offer a vet tech cert. They’re doing it with the university. I thought about that as I’ve always loved animals, and I think I could take that stress better than being a nurse and having patients die. I want something low stress. I do love helping people, and my strong point is building good relationships. As a teacher I was good at building relationships with students, teachers, and parents.
What were you thinking(?)and thanks for the kind words.
honestly it just seems like with your personality you could do well in a number of avenues. And while I can’t speak a ton yet from the view of a provider so much of nursing is in building relationships with people. having good people skills has definitely paid off for me in the field.

My default is to always think in terms of nursing, but I think the best way for anyone to dip their toe in the water is to take a certification course either for an EMT or for a CNA. You can generally find courses that are short enough that it isn’t a significant time or financial investment. It gives just enough exposure where someone can see if these fields drive their interests to dig deeper, or to get you thinking “fuck this, not for me.”

I can’t speak for everyone in the medical field, and I may just be calloused from the ER, but in my experience the deaths I see in most adults don’t really effect me too much. But when it is a child it stays with you. I never have been able to let go of those.

Miz

365 days today! Tomorrow is technically my year. Probably didn’t drink 3-4 thousand beers, and a fair amount of hard alcohol. I feel a lot better. It didn’t all happen at once. It took time, and it took work. I’m still weird as hell, but I think I’m a fun weird now. I picked up guitar 8 months ago and that has been really good. That hasn’t come easy for me but it’s paying off now. I was terrible for so long; still am terrible but I’m less terrible, and I’m progressing to not good and hoping to become ok. Anyways do you. My therapist has me working on the idea in my head that I’m not good enough. Well you know what I am. I’m doing just fine. Reasonably happy.
Sometimes the things we want are hard. Enjoy the process and keep grinding. I never thought I’d say “keep grinding” but it’s true. Just keep working. Try to be happy. Sometimes good enough is perfect.
That’s random, but oh well. Thank you to you guys for being there. I’m enjoying the journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Battalion Five raise your hands. You are the all important first attack wave, code named: Operation Human Shield!
An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye.
If 2020 was a math problem: if you're going down river at 2MPH and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?
4-5 Playoff games a day <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom