RDA injured, out of fight with McGregor - now Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz

MacEwen

Best kratom distributor
I've Just following this thread and not really commenting. I'm a huge Diaz supporter, but I'm not feeling too good about this one. I think Conor probably tkos Nate, but I would absolutely love for Nate to put on a clinic. If Conor wins no way would be be allowed to move up without relinquishing the fw title. It would be absolute bs to let him hold up the division for a full year.
I'm really stoked for this card

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
See: Nashville, Tennessee.
No I know THEY would rush the stage, same reason in all the internet fights the punks always jump people because they can't let their friends fight one on one.

That also gave us the WEAKEST punch EVER thrown by a human. Jake Shields threw the WEAKEST, most laughable punch ever. AND it was a sucker punch. Jesus

The Madman

Just watched the presser, and it looks like Nate is getting inside McGregors head a little. I like both guys, but the way McGregor keeps bringing up money is getting annoying. To me he is starting to sound like Mayweather. Did Nate touch McGregor in the stare down, because if not that was some total bitch shit McGregor did. He could have easily fractured something in Nate's hand.

Hassquatch

Slayer
I could see liking McGregor cause he's an awesome fighter, but I don't see liking him cause of his talk. He's pretty douchey. Nothing close to Sonnen's smart mouth.

chrisc

Ninja
Really?
Fighting at walking weight is ideal. Ask the guys that have done it in recent history ask them if they felt better and were successful fighting at their natural weights.
Frankie Edgar walks around 160, was he a great LW champion?
Yet hes cutting to 145 now

Penn (1st run) walked around 175 and looked great at WW.
Yet hes cutting to 145/150

Anderson (early title reign) walked around 190 and we've never seen a better champion.
Quite a few years ago, Anderson himself said he shows up to the fight at 195 and gradually loses weight before then. So I wouldn't say he walks around at 190

Shields dominated Henderson and Lawler fighting at 185 (walks around 195).
Yet he cuts to 170

Nick Diaz looks his best fighting at 185, remember when he fought KJ Noons at 160?
Yet he cuts at 170

The reason guys cut so much weight now is to avoid the monsters that cut down. Nate at 170 (walking around 180) looked tiny when fighting average built WWs.

Cutting all the weight is designed to hopefully give you a size / strength advantage and everyone knows that you sacrifice speed and ardio to do it, but for certain styles its more beneficial to keep the power advantage.
Regardless of the reason, people are cutting down to give themselves an advantage. No one is moving up in weight to give themselves an advantage
[DOUBLEPOST=1457110752,1457110583][/DOUBLEPOST]
None of McGregor's teammates were needed. They know Conor can handle himself. Why would Nate's team rush the stage when it's one on one?
So you think they rushed so Nate didn't get his ass kicked? Get out of here. They didn't even rush Mcgregor, they got up there and had Nate's back in cased he needed it. Because theyre not just teammates, theyre friends

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
So you think they rushed so Nate didn't get his ass kicked? Get out of here. They didn't even rush Mcgregor, they got up there and had Nate's back in cased he needed it. Because theyre not just teammates, theyre friends
Needed it in what case? For Jon Anik? No one else rushed the stage. Lol

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
What odds has conor defied?

The only fight he wasnt supposed to win was against Aldo. conor defied the odds but not the Vegas odds in beating the FW champ but I am lost on the rest of it?
Just picking on how he's proved all the naysayers wrong in each fight that people thought he'd lose all the way up to Aldo. He's broke into a realm beyond any other fighter in which he calls his own shots and has supreme leverage against the UFC. He's become not just a fighting champion but an absolute superstar. He showed what kind of man he is by stepping up to face RDA, and now he's about to fight at WW. 'Defied the odds' may be exaggerating my statement but you know what I mean. The man has done much more than most fighters ever will, and has been successful thus far. He's so close to doing something no one has ever attempted, and that would be considered defying the odds, if he can steal that WW titleshot.

Would you be willing to do a name bet, say for 2 years?
Do you want to give me a name for 2 ears or are you just testing how much I believe Conor will be victorious?

Everybody remember this, just in case.
Qft

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
Yet hes cutting to 145 now
Yet hes cutting to 145/150
Quite a few years ago, Anderson himself said he shows up to the fight at 195 and gradually loses weight before then. So I wouldn't say he walks around at 190
Yet he cuts to 170
Yet he cuts at 170
Regardless of the reason, people are cutting down to give themselves an advantage. No one is moving up in weight to give themselves an advantage
Yet you're a fucktard.

I gave you examples of guys that were successful not cutting weight. Yes they continue to cut, or have reverted back to cutting the weight. But that doesn't change the fact that all said that they felt quicker, sharper, and had better cardio at a natural weight.
And I also listed the resasons whey a fighter would choose to cut rather than fight at a natural weight.

Edgar lost to Henderson who outweighed him by probably 30 pounds on fight night, and there was distinct strength advantage for Bendo in that fight. That hurts Frankie's wrestling base and puts him at a disadvantage in punching power. He was faster and had better gas, but couldn't seem to dent the chin of the taller, longer, stronger, heavier opponent. But he goes down to 145 and he's putting bitches to sleep.

You really believe that a 145 lbs version of BJ Penn is even going to happen? If it does, how long did it take him to transform his body? Still doesn't change the fact that the best BJ ever felt was fighting at 170.

WOW, I was a way off on Anderson. Yeah, that 5 lbs makes my argument completely void. He's fighting 10 lbs under his pre-cut weight against guys like Henderson, Machida, Weidman, Belfort, Sonnen that cut as much as 35 lbs to fight MW. And is successful. And when he cut to 170 (see ROTR and Pride fights) he didn't look as impressive. His speed and reaction advantages dried up. Being a striker first, that speed and ability to dodge attacks is what made him so dominant for so long. Something he loses when he cuts. Oh, and since he fought at LHW, how did he look when he didn't even have to worry about trying to watch his diet? Looked even faster and even more unhittable.

Shields is a grappling based fighter. Cutting to 170 serves him better. He'd be facing more powerful strikers than him at 185, and he won't have a strength advantage. Cutting only makes sense for him. But look at how smotth and quick he looked at 185 (Henderson & Lawler) than he did in the Kampmann fight. He struggled with takdowns against Kampmann and was like 9-11 against Hendo.

No one? You sure about that?

There used be this tall skinny guy at LHW that fought in Pride that moved up to HW. Won a SF title and is a top contender in the UFC. I think his name is Alistaor Or something like that.
There were these two guys that fought at 145 out of the Cesar Gracie camp. Both had success and earned names at that weight, but moved up a weight class. One won a SF title and fought for a UFC title (Melendez). The other has fought a whose who of guys and even has fought at 170 a few times. I think he's fighting this weekend at 170.
And we already talked about Anderson Silva right? I did mention how he made his name originally as a WW right?
[DOUBLEPOST=1457112696,1457112168][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just picking on how he's proved all the naysayers wrong in each fight that people thought he'd lose all the way up to Aldo. He's broke into a realm beyond any other fighter in which he calls his own shots and has supreme leverage against the UFC. He's become not just a fighting champion but an absolute superstar. He showed what kind of man he is by stepping up to face RDA, and now he's about to fight at WW. 'Defied the odds' may be exaggerating my statement but you know what I mean. The man has done much more than most fighters ever will, and has been successful thus far. He's so close to doing something no one has ever attempted, and that would be considered defying the odds, if he can steal that WW titleshot.
He's is the one that's gotten the most press for it. But he's far from the trendsetter here.
The first name that comes to mind is Chuck Liddell. He got anything he wanted when he wanted it. Or do you believe that Vernon White actually earned a title shot. Hell they even dropped fights off the guy's record to make it seem like he was a legit contender. They allowed Chuck to fight in Pride. He got the fight with Horn and Coture because he asked for it.

That Anderson Silva guy comes to mind next. Moving up in weight to destroy recent champion Forrest Griffin. And there was serious talks about letting him box RJJ.

Randy Coture also jumps right into the conversation. He was allowed to jump back and forth in weight (hey @chrisc here's an example of a guy that moved up to be more successful), pick title shots. Fight some has-been boxer. Make movies. and call his own shots.

No Conor isn't anything new. He's just a lot more brazen about bragging about it in the face of UFC. Which will cost him soon enough (see Randy)
[DOUBLEPOST=1457114282][/DOUBLEPOST]

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
Moving up in weight class to gain an advantage

:bayless::kimjongun::DW2:
You don't think a guy that cuts 35 lbs to fight at any weight would be markedly faster and have better cardio fighting at a natural weight?

I've listed examples. Depends on base and attributes.

But since this thread is about Conor, lets use him as the example.
Conor is a movement fighter that uses that movement to set up powerful strikes. Agreed?
What are Conor's advantages at FW? Size, strength, punching power.
As a movement fighter, would you not think he would be even faster at LW, especially against guys that are slower (in theory) than FWs? Has he shown more than enough power in his strikes to at least compete on the LW level (Siver)?
He loses the size & strength advantage, but gains speed and cardio. His punching power might be slightly improved, but the chins get a little tougher. But he would still be strong enough to do damage in the striking game. The potential pitfall of moving up is he opens himself to be outmuscled on the ground by a stronger / bigger fighter. But he's not facing Khabib is he? He's facing a volume striker in Nate Diaz. For his base Conor is making a smart move moving up, depending on opponent. Would he a favorite fighting Benson Henderson? Khabib. Huge LWs that use a grappling base? Nope. What about a Barboza that is a movement fighter with power. That would be a scary good matchup. But he's fighting a volume striker that has relatively little power.

Nebraska

Poindexter For President
Site Donor
NFL S.P. Champion

I wish social media was around when B.J. tapped Hughes then went up to 185 for a couple fights, then moved up even more to fight Machida.

McGregor isn't paving the way, he's just filling the pot holes.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
You don't think a guy that cuts 35 lbs to fight at any weight would be markedly faster and have better cardio fighting at a natural weight?

I've listed examples. Depends on base and attributes.

But since this thread is about Conor, lets use him as the example.
Conor is a movement fighter that uses that movement to set up powerful strikes. Agreed?
What are Conor's advantages at FW? Size, strength, punching power.
As a movement fighter, would you not think he would be even faster at LW, especially against guys that are slower (in theory) than FWs? Has he shown more than enough power in his strikes to at least compete on the LW level (Siver)?
He loses the size & strength advantage, but gains speed and cardio. His punching power might be slightly improved, but the chins get a little tougher. But he would still be strong enough to do damage in the striking game. The potential pitfall of moving up is he opens himself to be outmuscled on the ground by a stronger / bigger fighter. But he's not facing Khabib is he? He's facing a volume striker in Nate Diaz. For his base Conor is making a smart move moving up, depending on opponent. Would he a favorite fighting Benson Henderson? Khabib. Huge LWs that use a grappling base? Nope. What about a Barboza that is a movement fighter with power. That would be a scary good matchup. But he's fighting a volume striker that has relatively little power.
"Smart move"? It was supposed to be RDA and this is what happened in short notice. In no way is RDA an easy fight. McGregor faces the very real possibility of being stuck on his back. Diaz' antics have drawn more than Rice would have by far. To face the grapplers of LW, it would be a massive disadvantage. To face the strikers of LW, it would be even level. Don't act like Diaz was the preordained, calculated choice. It was the money choice. It was Rice or Diaz on short notice.

I mean, Conor should be a LW. Let's be real. He cuts to the point of extreme, deathly dehydration. To say that he would gain an advantage going to LW or WW, I would not say that whatsoever. He fights on an even playing field at that point. Conor now loses the strength and range advantage that he once had at FW by diving into the deep-end. Cutting weight gives you an advantage no matter what you say or no matter what kind of hamster wheel rationalizations you try to make. Moving up in weight is a greater challenge than staying at a lower weight class; it does not matter how many people you note that did it with success.

I wish social media was around when B.J. tapped Hughes then went up to 185 for a couple fights, then moved up even more to fight Machida.

Or he's paving his own path? Why must human beings compare everything rather than enjoying something for what it is? It is a waste of mental energy because the answer is always subjective.

McGregor attempted to become the first multi-division belt holder in the UFC. That is all. RDA didn't take his ibuprofen so he couldn't show up. Maybe Frankie will instead.

Last edited:

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I just realized how weak this card is outside the main and co main events. I'd buy it just for the main event so I'm not complaining, just an observation. And how the fuck is Jim Miller on fight pass? That's absurd.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
Conor was asked about the weight class jump at the press conference today, and the guy asking the question started by saying to Conor that we've never seen someone jump two weight classes before. That's just flat out untrue. I'm talking about the people who think Conor's anywhere, anyone, anytime at any weight approach to this is something new. It's not. I give him credit for doing it just like I did those other guys, but he's not making history here, he's repeating it.

Mma media is filled with goat fuckers.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
I just realized how weak this card is outside the main and co main events. I'd buy it just for the main event so I'm not complaining, just an observation. And how the fuck is Jim Miller on fight pass? That's absurd.
It's the McGregor show anyways. People will tune in to watch him win or lose; the main thing is that they care enough to tune in.
[DOUBLEPOST=1457119042,1457117931][/DOUBLEPOST][DOUBLEPOST=1457119190][/DOUBLEPOST]The punch to the hand was hard af.
[DOUBLEPOST=1457119269][/DOUBLEPOST]Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz won't be penalized by NAC for UFC 196 press conference actions

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada Athletic Commission will not be reprimanding anyone following Thursday's near-scuffle after the UFC 196 press conference.

"UFC president Dana White handled the situation," NAC executive director Bob Bennett told MMAFighting.com.

Following the press conference, Conor McGregor punched Nate Diaz's right hand away from his face while they were squaring off for the media and fans in attendance, which almost led to a brawl. Fortunately for everyone involved, security and a whole host of UFC officials diffused the situation rather quickly. Diaz threw a kick towards McGregor in the midst of the melée, as well, but it did not land.

According to his team, Diaz did not injure his hand as a result of the punch.

Extra security is expected to be in place for Friday's weigh-in at the MGM Grand
[DOUBLEPOST=1457119447][/DOUBLEPOST]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Somedays all of the beautiful things in my life break my heart.
I'll sleep when I wake up.
LebenTysonTank wrote on Miz's profile.
Any idea how I can upload an mp4 video? I recently knocked out this 250 pound face tattooed mexican gangbanger in front of my house,and one of the neighbors recorded it.
"I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom