Rad Dad Thread

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Just got back from 3 days of camping...

It was a blast. Lil man got to hang out with his friends, I got to drink beers with the boys...... but fuck I am tired, I need a day off now.

Camping sure is different with a toddler.

We have a little camper for the back of the truck.. it is tiny, sleeps two people and the dogs. I got demoted to a tent for the first time in about 5 years.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!

It was a blast. Lil man got to hang out with his friends, I got to drink beers with the boys...... but fuck I am tired, I need a day off now.

We have a little camper for the back of the truck.. it is tiny, sleeps two people and the dogs. I got demoted to a tent for the first time in about 5 years.
We went camping too, brought the pack and play. Made things a lot easier

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I haven't went camping since I was like 7. I used to think campers were awesome and if your family had one then you were super rich.

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
I haven't went camping since I was like 7. I used to think campers were awesome and if your family had one then you were super rich.
That is still how I perceive campers and motor homes. I can’t wait to own one someday.

my girlfriend has an older camper. It’s a 1968 dodge d200 I think. she bought it because the previous owner made the camper portion of it look pretty sleek. Baby blue lining and looking swanky. Mechanically though it’s kind of a piece. Doesn’t want to turn to start sometimes, like it won’t even engage the starter. Also dumps antifreeze and overheats and sputters out often.

have mostly got the engine sputters fixed I think, but who knows, her father has it right now and he is tinkering with it too.

she wants to keep it because it looks kinda retro but all I see are things we would have to throw money at. Converting to disc brakes, getting electric work done, purchasing some sort of generator, getting the bathroom restored and functional.

It looks cool but I would way rather have something modern that is more reliable and better insulated and safer.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Well shit, that was a blur of 9 months. Return to work in 3 weeks. Lil man starts his transition into day care next week. A couple hours per day leading into 3-4 days per week.

I thought I was going to be much more productive with 9 months off. The time with the boy has been amazing. Watching this kid grow and learn was a great experience. This little fucker is going to party hard at day care... small setting with a few older kids and one his age.

I am mixed feelings about returning to work. Nice to add more challenges and stimulation to the day but also very aware I have peaked in my current work and need to either move forward or complete additional training or education to expand the role a bit. Interesting times. I kick ass at my job, I live 2 blocks from work, I have total freedom and dont answer to many... yet I think its time to move on and/or increase my opportunities and responsibilities at work. I am sure I will be singing another tune a few weeks into a return.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
The boy is a year and a half today. Hard to believe.

Lil fucker is going to be smarter than his old man, I am confident about that one.

Transitioning into daycare and I am 2 weeks away from going back to work. Ugggh work.

Heading into fall, I dont doubt his daycare will get shut down... work isnt going to be too happy if I take some more time off when we have no other child care options ;) Canada just announced its new plans for Covid funding for moving forward and it sounds like it could be covered at a higher rate than I was on parental leave... tempting much?

IMG_5442.JPG

thumper

Staff member

Was thinking about this. When i was a kid our family was hell bent for camping. We went every other weekend for 3 days when my pops was in the military because it's all we could afford. Had a big extended camper etc.

I love camping and always have. we always drove up Thursday night with the camper while dad was working, then he'd come up after work Friday with the boat. Since we camped at the same place each week, us driving up Thurs assured we'd get the same spot, which was popular and nobody had to rush.

Pop would show up just before dark in the boat to the camp site (a big lake in Montana) and I swear they were the best summers of my young life. I still get butterflies remembering how excited I'd get.

I wish I could go back to that. but living in Montana was had awesome places to go. Camping in the summer, snowmobiles/skiing and hunting in the winter.

I know exactly how you feel. I just never had my own family to do that with
Post automatically merged:

That is still how I perceive campers and motor homes. I can’t wait to own one someday.

my girlfriend has an older camper. It’s a 1968 dodge d200 I think. she bought it because the previous owner made the camper portion of it look pretty sleek. Baby blue lining and looking swanky. Mechanically though it’s kind of a piece. Doesn’t want to turn to start sometimes, like it won’t even engage the starter. Also dumps antifreeze and overheats and sputters out often.

have mostly got the engine sputters fixed I think, but who knows, her father has it right now and he is tinkering with it too.

she wants to keep it because it looks kinda retro but all I see are things we would have to throw money at. Converting to disc brakes, getting electric work done, purchasing some sort of generator, getting the bathroom restored and functional.

It looks cool but I would way rather have something modern that is more reliable and better insulated and safer.
meh. that just sounds like a solenoid problem on the starter. Cheap as hell to fix, and you can even cheat. if you get stuck and can't start it, grab a screwdriver and short the solenoid out by touching both posts. it will engage the starter and you're good to go.

those old motors are a bitch maybe. But no computers and pretty much anyone can work on them

Poindexter

Staff member
Covid restrictions are kicking back in so we have to get in as much playground time as possible before they get closed too.View attachment 5614

The boy's daycare has been closed down for a week now (a kid's parents tested postive for covid)... double duty with work and childcare the last week with another to go.
Cute little guy. Glad you had all this time with him.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Cute little guy. Glad you had all this time with him.
Yeah its been fun.

I have been back to work about 6 weeks now. Lil man loves going to daycare, its a small one with only 6 kids. We both work 4 days a week, so still get lots of family time. This last week tagging off work and childcare has made for some long ass days. Lucky work is so flexible.

m1ckey kn0x

Site Donor
It is my sons birthday today. He turns 9. I’ve stayed up all night to be able to call him for only a few minutes at 8 am. That is all I’m being given. I didn’t have a prayer at sleep before 5 am, and I was too afraid I would not wake up had I fallen asleep after.

Our baseball gloves will be staying in my closet this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wearelivingart@protonmail
Top Bottom