Post Your Movie Reviews Here (1 Viewer)

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Blue Velvet

Like Predators I may already have a review up for this, who knows, but unlike Predators this is some cinema baybee so I wanted to give it a re-visitation. Originally I was a big fan of Blue Velvet since I hadn't quite seen anything like it before apart from other Lynch films and of course Twin Peaks. It came out in '86 and probably wouldn't have been on cable to '88 if at all. I think after the success of Twin Peaks you were far more likely to see Blue Velvet on a cable channel.

I mention this because this film is noted for its portrayal of Sadomasochism. A running theme in Lynch's work. Mysterious women who like, and hate that they like, the rough stuff and the oh so evil men that are all too willing to oblige. I'd of loved to see initial reactions to this film in screenings because watching it with fresh eyes you really get the sense that Lynch has no idea how human beings talk. I did not recall the dialogue being so awkward and unnatural. The performances are fine, Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Dern still convey plenty of emotion and intention but they speak like they're in a high school drama class rehearsal. Now, about less than a third into the movie this all changes. Not the bad dialogue, that continues, but contextually it becomes slightly more appropriate for the character situations as they unfold.

Since my last viewing of Blue Velvet I've seen the original Twin Peaks (front to back) probably 6 times and Fire Walk With Me, the stand alone Twin Peak prequel, twice. You can really see how Blue Velvet was the genesis of Twin Peaks arc about small town USA darkness. But the dialogue in Twin Peaks the show is FAR more natural, believable, and personal to each character giving them a signature to speak with. This is likely due to Mark Frost and a team of profession day-time/night-time TV writers who actually go to places like cafes, supermarkets, and offices and understand how humans converse. When you get to Fire Walk With Me, again you're back to more Lynchian dialogue that is so extremely off-putting it distracts from the genius of Lynch. And it is genius.

Blue Velvet is nothing short of a visual masterpiece even if its relatively simple story is dampened by the dialogue. Lynch's gift is in making the mundane threatening and the threatening, terrifying. No one builds atmosphere with the camera like Lynch. He makes a vacant hallway ominous without any effects other than light, shadow, and stillness. The ghost-like motion of the camera also transfixes your attention. It is in part what gives his films their dream like qualities.. you know.. aside from the story or character actions not really making a whole lot of sense on the surface or telling a fractured narrative at times without communicating that to the audience.

The use of sex and violence in Blue Velvet isn't gratuitous, it's visceral and somewhat animalistic. It's channeled in a way, manifested, likely an early idea about spirits or demons inhabiting bad men. Characters are sexually humiliated physically and psychology. It stays with you, it makes an impression. It's brutal not because of overt depiction (there's more intimation) but because there's an intelligence behind it all, making it evil rather than strictly impulsive. It's calculated abuse and dominance. I love it. It seems real, dirty, ugly, smelly, and wrong. There's no gloss, no perfect teeth, or hair or clothes. It's specific. It's so specific that it fucks with you. That's what elevates it over something meant to shock the sensibilities. To shove blue velvet in someone's mouth and then penetrate them with scissors used to cut off their lover's ear..

That's an original idea.

This is a film that succeeds at making you uncomfortable and enraptured. The latter could absolutely produce the former. Dennis Hopper is over the top but still remains believeable. I always thought the performance was cartoonish but have come around on that after this viewing. Initially it seems like a Nic Cage moment but the way it develops over time.. it works. Isabella Rossellini is also captivating as the bizarre beauty. Her singing is pretty terrible, I'm going to assume that whomever David Lynch fucks they need to have been a lounge singer at some point in their life as a prerequisite and he decided to get her on stage in a film to really make the most of bedroom time.

Anyway, as far as Lynch films go this is both entry level Lynch and pinnacle Lynch. He's still tethered to something in our world in this film. It's more digestible than Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. It's better looking imo than Lost Highway but nothing looks better than Mulholland. I like my David Lynch balanced. Like a good cup of coffee. Not too bitter, not too light, not too sweet, not too hot, and not too fancy either.

Fucking 9.5/10 why are you reading this bullshit go watch it you uncultured fuck.

Last edited:

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
I haven't watched a movie in weeks, maybe even a few months. I started watching Bad Boys For Life, got bored and shut it off after 30 minutes. I've bought 10-12 movies on VUDU sale in the past couple months but watched none. Not sure what's going on with my desire to watch movies. Meanwhile, I'll watch 2 hours of Naked and Afraid like it's nothing. About to start watching "Billions" on Showtime soon. Currently in the middle of season 10 of Shameless and I keep seeing promos for Billions and it looks great. I'm a big fan of Damian Lewis.

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I haven't watched a movie in weeks, maybe even a few months. I started watching Bad Boys For Life, got bored and shut it off after 30 minutes. I've bought 10-12 movies on VUDU sale in the past couple months but watched none. Not sure what's going on with my desire to watch movies. Meanwhile, I'll watch 2 hours of Naked and Afraid like it's nothing. About to start watching "Billions" on Showtime soon. Currently in the middle of season 10 of Shameless and I keep seeing promos for Billions and it looks great. I'm a big fan of Damian Lewis.
I am the same way when it comes to movies and shows. It takes a lot for me to watch movies but I can binge 6-8 hours of t.v. shows no problem.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Just watched The Hunt. It was a dumb fun good time. Not going to win any awards but it’s a fun time.
I did the whole rent for $20 thing once theaters closed down and it hit PVOD. Worth the $20 but now I wanna buy it and don’t wanna spend another $20. So I’ll wait til it’s on sale for $10. I loved it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
He's been doing fitness stuff for awhile now. I remember years ago he was on one of Kevin Smith's podcast talking about losing a bunch of weight doing long distance biking. He said running didn't work for him given his weight at the time but he'd do 50-80 mile treks on a bike in LA.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
He is great in everything he does. I heard a suggestion on Reddit to cast him as Thing in Fantastic Four. I would love to see it.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I haven't seen all of his work but his work in American History X will always stay with me. I grew up with guys JUST like that. I'm sure @William Munny could say the same. He reminded me of about 4 of my older brother's friends. I remember having a very visceral reaction to his performance, being very uneasy over the portrayal. He did an incredible job, not sure if he received any recognition for it but it's one of my favorite all-time performances. He just perfectly nailed that character.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I wrote a paper on Modernity in the original Metropolis circa 2005 for a 400 level History class. I got an A. Praise me you fucking plebs.

That professor was cool as shit. She was a Chinese woman with a Dutch German accent. She probably spoke 7 languages. She dropped 60% of the enrolled class on the first day because they weren't History majors. She offered to hand out campus maps to anyone that needed help finding the Administration office to adjust their schedule or to the History department if they wanted to complain. Then she locked the room and took us the adjunct professors' lounge and taught the course there.

Bad. Ass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest profile posts

Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."
thumper wrote on DOCTOR's profile.
Yoink! man what would we do without @DOCTOR posting events?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties