Post Your Movie Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by FrankieButNotEdgar, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

He even said he liked the damn movies lol

disposableassassin likes this.
  2. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

I know right!

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

But under the definition they are.

the production of movies as an art or industry.

movies are made to entertain us, are they not. A lot of people love marvel movies, others dislike them. Same goes for martins movies.

im sure he got into the movie business to make money and he has done that.

I wouldn’t put marvel movies against a story from a movie like goodfellas, but in terms of investment and excitement, I’ve never been invested or excited as hell for a Scorsese movie like I have been for some marvel movies.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Marvel movies are products. They're thrill rides, same as a rollercoaster. They contain stock beats with different skins. They are generic stories made to be interchangeable.

That doesn't make them bad. That doesn't mean they don't contain art. That doesn't mean you're a dumb person for enjoying them.

It means they are products first, and art, if that, a distant second. They cop the human condition and experience to exploit it, tuned to market analysis and not according to a vision, not according to an idea, not according to a whim or musing. These movies are financial ventures first and foremost designed to excite you by placating and appealing to your senses in the most straightforward and direct manner.

That is not what cinema is. Cinema is for the art of it. It's for the story, visually or narratively. Comics are themselves a serialized product that can contain an artful narrative and so can their byproducts but that is NOT their intention.

Do not equivocate the two. If you want to say that you value the movie experience more then you are absolutely entitled to that opinion. I find the proliferation of tent pole media disappointing but I understand its popularity. I just choose to be critical of all the things I consume. Including movies or cinema.

5. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I’m bored and wanting to make small talk so let me indulge myself. Marvel movies are also made for a wider audience. My son and I both cheered when Cap (I won’t spoil it) did what he did in the battle. We both wouldn’t have done that at any point in Chinatown.
    I’m like a child who has entered a conversation.
    I’ll have to watch this Irishmen movie. I haven’t watched anything like that in a while.
    This is good you bring this up Ninja. My mind needs to see some good artsy cinema. I have young kids so I watch a lot of stuff that is not that. I don’t recall the last time I saw a true art piece. What do you suggest on Netflix Ninja?

split2874 and Ninjastix like this.
  6. Ninjastix

I'd have to go through and look. I'm by no means a curator of film, but I can see what jumps out.

Having seen two outstanding films this year however I can absolutely recommend The Lighthouse and Parasite whenever and wherever they are made available.

Let me browse through the Netflix though. See if I gots the recommends.

(Edit)

Malcolm X
    Mean Streets
    The Witch
    Raging Bull
    Jackie Brown
    Zodiac
    Moonlight
    Coraline
    Beasts of No Nation
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Rainman
    Trainspotting
    Rounders
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Schindler's List

Those jump out to me as "on the nose selections"

And if you haven't seen them, please rent or purchase No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Two absolute modern masterpieces.

If you told me in my 20s that a movie about an oil baron would become my favorite film of all time I'd of flung my trench coat and flip phone at you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Miz likes this.
  7. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I’m going to read No Country for Old Men first. Someone told me a month ago that I have to read it.

8. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

For the record, I love Scorsese's work. I just don't get his pretentiousness about what constitutes cinema. And I didn't take it out of context. I read in detail his original comments and his follow up comments.

The Laundromat

Steven Soderberg made a movie that went straight to Netflix about money laundering, shell companies, and basically about the crooked rich fucking the poor. It was decent. A lot of talking directly to the camera from Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

It's silly and at times stupid but I love all the Terminator movies so who gives a shit?

Terminator: Salvation

I'd have liked to have seen a tv series expand on this iteration of the Terminator universe, the actual war. It ends with it being apparent there was more story to tell and I know Christian Bale isn't about to do a tv series but would like more of the post apocalyptic side of Terminator than the prevention of the apocalypse itself.

Shaft (2019)

Speaking of Christian Bale, I was a big fan of the Shaft movie he, Jeffrey Wright and Sam Jackson did many years ago. This one was okay, but not very good.

Good Will Hunting

I don't know how I went two decades without ever watching this or how I missed it. I was aware it existed and who was in it but I never got around to watching it. I bought a bunch of movies during VUDU's Black Friday sale and this was $5. It costs about that to rent a movie. I liked it quite a bit.

Between Two Ferns: The Movie

There were a few moments that were funny but overall, the movie was terrible. The blooper reel during the credits was the best part. I love the Between Two Ferns shorts that Funny or Die posts but it didn't translate well into a movie.

9. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

You always do what you're told, boy?

ILJO and Miz like this.
  10. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Doctor Sleep- I loved this movie. I don’t like the shinning. This was much better. 89%

playmobile- not a bad kids movie. They literally just dumped this into theaters with zero promotion. I had fun with it. 72%

Honey boy- Shai lebouf has 2 great movies this year. Like great movies. While I enjoyed peanut butter falcon more, this one was based on his life. 90%

knives out- so I like Rian Johnson movies that aren’t Star Wars. This was fun. I love when Chris Evans plays a dick.

Ninjastix likes this.
  11. Clark Kent

I absolutely loved no country, but couldn’t finish there will be blood. Great cast, story an everything. Just couldn’t get into it.

Ninjastix likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

If nothing else, you would love the ending

Ninjastix likes this.
  13. Clark Kent

I’ll have to try rewatching it, it’s been few years. I really love most of Lewis’s movies too. Sometimes just have to be in a certain mood for some movies.

14. Ninjastix

I am a false prophet; god is a superstition.

15. FrankieButNotEdgar

I’m watching some movie on Netflix from 2015 with Nicolas Cage and Elijah Wood called “The Trust.”

what happened to Nic Cage. He was once a giant movie star and won an Oscar. Now he’s doing direct to Redbox movies over and over and over again. The same can be said about Travolta.

16. Clark Kent

Nic cage has a new movie every week. He had some money issues then just started saying yes to everything to make money. I believe it’s the reason national treasure 3 was never made.

just finished Blackkklansman. I thought it was an amazing movie. Not a fan of spike lee the person but he does make some good movies. My wife thought it was a Denzel movie because she was just listening. Had to tell her it was just his son. I bought it for 6.99 in 4K and its definitely worth it.

17. FrankieButNotEdgar

To this day I hold out hope they eventually make National Treasure 3. I remember that minor cliffhanger at the end of the second one that was supposed to be resolved in a third one that never happened, kinda like the unresolved ending of My Name Is Earl.

18. Ninjastix

For all you "consumers" out there. One of Jim's better videos.

19. FrankieButNotEdgar

Allied

This is my second favorite “Brad Pitt kills Nazis” movie behind Inglorious Basterds and ahead of Fury.

It’s not an action movie and it doesn’t move at a fast pace but surprisingly, it was interesting through out. I enjoyed it well more than I thought I would. I bought it 4 years ago and never got around to watching it.

Us

I like that Jordan Peele is making stuff that you’ve never seen before, and I know this is an unpopular opinion of this particular movie, but I didn’t like it at all. I found the entire premise incredibly stupid and the entire cast outside the two kids were overacting their asses off. I just couldn’t get into it. The “twist” was easily predictable too. It felt like an M. Knight Shyamalan movie and I don’t mean that as a good thing.

Speaking of M. Knight Shyamalan.....

Glass

A complete waste of fucking time.

6 Underground

The action sequences were incredible. Ryan Reynolds was great as usual. Corey Hawkins was good. I had my doubts as he was terrible in 24 but he was pretty good in this. The rest of the cast was so-so. I dig the premise. This would be better suited as a tv show but I loved it nonetheless.

I’m not a fan of action sequences that run on for too long. This movie made them not only tolerable but fun. The humor was great.

Top Five

I saw this one when it first came out but I didn’t remember much about it so I watched it again. I love Chris Rock. If I remember correctly, this movie brought him back into the mainstream again after a little absence. Now Eddie Murphy is doing standup again and making sequels to Coming To America and Beverly Hills Cop. The entertainment world is better with Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy in it.

A bit off topic but Samuel L. Jackson has lended his voice to Alexa devices and there is an explicit option. I think I’m gonna get an Echo Dot only for this reason.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 14, 2019, ---
    QT 8

This is a just released documentary about the career of Quentin Tarantino spanning the period of True Romance to the Harvey Weinstein scandal. It’s a great watch. It’s very pro-Tarantino with all the big stars minus Leo of Tarantino’s movies. I loved it but I find it odd that they didn’t have Tarantino himself in there somewhere.

If you don’t like Tarantino, then fuck you.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 15, 2019, ---
    EBC8338C-80A8-4AB0-8827-41EB6E6A7424.jpeg

Dimson likes this.
  20. Ninjastix