OxyContin maker to plead guilty to federal criminal charges, pay $8 billion, and will close the company

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
So a company is being blamed for the country’s opioid problem. Am I missing something.
why isn’t McDonald’s being blamed for all the fat people and obesity related issues.

i missed the part where they paid dr to write more. Shouldn’t all the dr be at fault too.
Your initial reaction shows a scary level of apathy man.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I can't speak for everyone but I know more people affected by opioids than I do cancer. And I know a lot of people who have known loss due to cancer.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I don't think companies should be fined except where shown that they behaved unethically, like purposefully hiding evidence of addiction. If they had said "it's addictive, but we think it's the best option" and doctors actually agreed, then, if anything, I'd blame doctors. But they didn't, so fuck them. Go out of business.

Clark Kent

Your initial reaction shows a scary level of apathy man.
Yeah I don’t much care. I lost any compassion years ago And just stopped caring. I spent time working in the drug court and after seeing the same person 3 plus times you just learn to accept it.

you start off by man they are going to tackle this, they seem ready, then in a few months you see them again and it’s like oh maybe now they are ready, then you see them again and again and you finally just say fuck it.

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
Yeah I don’t much care. I lost any compassion years ago And just stopped caring. I spent time working in the drug court and after seeing the same person 3 plus times you just learn to accept it.

you start off by man they are going to tackle this, they seem ready, then in a few months you see them again and it’s like oh maybe now they are ready, then you see them again and again and you finally just say fuck it.
Clark I liked your post because many people feel that way.

Please please please do not give up on people who suffer from addiction.
I went to drug and alcohol treatment three times before I finally got clean. If one life can be saved by being patient and persistent it's worth it.

Cause you are not only saving a life, you are saving a daughters life and greatly enriching grandkids lives.

End rant

Thank you for listening

Last edited:

Clark Kent

Clark I liked your post because many people feel that way.

Please please please do not give up on people who suffer from addiction.
I went to drug and alcohol treatment three times before I finally got clean. If one life can be saved by being patient and persistent it's worth it.

Cause you are not only saving a life, you are saving a daughters life and greatly enriching grandkids lives.

End rant

Thank you for listening
Some people you just don’t give up on. But as a job it’s so overwhelming and heart breaking. You see these people come in and you root for them and feel for their families and then when they mess up over and over it’s emotionally draining and makes you feel like your shit at your job.

Poindexter

Staff member
When Purdue Pharma agreed last month to plead guilty to criminal charges involving OxyContin, the Justice Department noted the role an unidentified consulting company had played in driving sales of the addictive painkiller even as public outrage grew over widespread overdoses.

Documents released last week in a federal bankruptcy court in New York show that the adviser was McKinsey & Company, the world’s most prestigious consulting firm. The 160 pages include emails and slides revealing new details about McKinsey’s advice to the Sackler family, Purdue’s billionaire owners, and the firm’s now notorious plan to “turbocharge” OxyContin sales at a time when opioid abuse had already killed hundreds of thousands of Americans.

In a 2017 presentation, according to the records, which were filed in court on behalf of multiple state attorneys general, McKinsey laid out several options to shore up sales. One was to give Purdue’s distributors a rebate for every OxyContin overdose attributable to pills they sold.

The presentation estimated how many customers of companies including CVS and Anthem might overdose. It projected that in 2019, for example, 2,484 CVS customers would either have an overdose or develop an opioid use disorder. A rebate of $14,810 per “event” meant that Purdue would pay CVS $36.8 million that year.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
If you look at one of my posts I actually said there’s a difference between someone who actually needs it and someone that just uses it to get high.
Is someone that is prescribed it because they had a back injury, developed a physical dependency to it and continued to use it after there pain was gone using it to get high or because they need it?

jesusatemyhotdog

Welcome to the machine.
Is someone that is prescribed it because they had a back injury, developed a physical dependency to it and continued to use it after there pain was gone using it to get high or because they need it?
They literally need it.

Period.
Post automatically merged:

This is fucking evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.
foundstarr wrote on Ninjastix's profile.
playing anything fun?
Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
My small collection of whisk(e)y is now at twelve bottles. Not the worst problem to have. hehe
You might be a financial wizard
With a sack of loot
All I see is a slimy lizard
With an expensive suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom