OxyContin maker to plead guilty to federal criminal charges, pay $8 billion, and will close the company

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I remember when I first started seeing physicians about my intestinal issues how quickly they were willing to prescribe oxy. My current GP knows I can't tolerate pain medications, they make my physically ill, so if I ask for something in the realm of pain relief things have to be bad. Thankfully I haven't had a need to be on any of that shit but other folks aren't so fortunate. My Dad refuses to be on them and he had spinal compression crushing the nerves in his legs. But he can't fuck with oxys. We both get violently ill if we do.

Clark Kent

So a company is being blamed for the country’s opioid problem. Am I missing something.
why isn’t McDonald’s being blamed for all the fat people and obesity related issues.

i missed the part where they paid dr to write more. Shouldn’t all the dr be at fault too.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
So a company is being blamed for the country’s opioid problem. Am I missing something.
why isn’t McDonald’s being blamed for all the fat people and obesity related issues.
To a degree they were and are, but taxes on high fat, high sugar, high calorie foods haven't been popular. Neither has legislation because turns out food chains that factor into the meat industry have pretty good representation in Congress. And fantastic lawyers.

But if you're saying that addiction is a personal choice.. okay. All I'm going to say is I hope you never have to go through long-term pain treatment. You can probably see about meeting people that have and have had to deal with opioid withdrawal from treatment. Not from abuse. From treatment.

Hope things work out for your Clark. I'd take extra caution you don't hurt your back or hip weight training.

Clark Kent

To a degree they were and are, but taxes on high fat, high sugar, high calorie foods haven't been popular. Neither has legislation because turns out food chains that factor into the meat industry have pretty good representation in Congress. And fantastic lawyers.

But if you're saying that addiction is a personal choice.. okay. All I'm going to say is I hope you never have to go through long-term pain treatment. You can probably see about meeting people that have and have had to deal with opioid withdrawal from treatment. Not from abuse. From treatment.

Hope things work out for your Clark. I'd take extra caution you don't hurt your back or hip weight training.
You love jumping to conclusion, where did I say addiction is a personal choice. Please tell me where I said this. Go ahead I’ll wait.

so are you saying if I hurt myself that I’m going to develop a addition problem.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
so are you saying if I hurt myself that I’m going to develop a addition problem.
No. But I am saying that if you hurt yourself, and have to endure pain management therapy, it's very likely you'll develop a multiplication problem.

Clark Kent

No. But I am saying that if you hurt yourself, and have to endure pain management therapy, it's very likely you'll develop a multiplication problem.
been through pain management and months and months of physical therapy rehab and never developed any issues. But then again I must be wrong because mr ninja is always correct.

Still waiting for you to show me where I said addiction was a choice.

there’s a difference between having to take something to help and developing a problem and starting Off by taking to pills or drugs to get high and becoming addicted.

jesusatemyhotdog

Welcome to the machine.

i missed the part where they paid dr to write more. Shouldn’t all the dr be at fault too.
I will give an anecdote:

At the turn of the century, my brother was a professional hockey player. In 2001 he dislocated and tore his shoulder. He was prescribed opioids by the team doctor.

In 2002, he dislocated his shoulder again with a complete tearing of the socket. He had 3 major surgeries. He was immobilized for almost a year. Again he was prescribed opioids. During his recovery, he dislocated again. He was prescribed opioids. By the time he recovered, his career was over, he had chronic pain and was on opioids. The doctor stopped prescribing without any form of withdrawal plan. By 2006 it turned out that my brother had been horribly addicted and was sourcing opioids on the street. My mother, a nurse, took 60 days off work to detox my brother, who lost 70 lbs from withdrawal syndrome. He had DTs, night sweats, nighmares, insomnia, incontinence, chronic nausea, gastritis, a tremor in his hands, tinnitus and other symptoms.

My brother listened to his doctors, who gave him a powerful and lethal addictive drug without any type of cessation guidelines, left to figure it out himself.

Further, Purdue WILLINGLY SUPPRESSED multitude of evidence regarding both the addictive properties of Oxy and its limited efficacy. They spent BILLIONS to hide the information, to pay ghostwriters, to bribe doctors and insurance companies.

Never once in my life do I know anybody who was prescribed a Big Mac by an expert in a time of absolute vulnerability.

One other thing, the first friend of mine that I had to bury was a pro hockey player who had a similar journey, but unlike my brother who was withdrawn by our mother, my friend died with a needle in his arm in his parents' bathroom while recovering from a debilitating injury. His journey once again started with a doctor giving him a non-addictive opioid called Oxycontin.

So fuck the personal responsibility. How many clinical trials or meta studies have you ever read regarding pharmaceuticals? Likely closer to zero than to ten. I read them due to my subject matter expertise regarding psychotropics, which are on aggregate highly dangerous and do more harm than good. But, we still prescribe SSRIs, mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, stimulants and sedatives because of guild and government ignorance and corruption and people take them because they trust their doctors and regulators and people should BE ABLE TO TRUST THEIR FUCKING DOCTORS AND THEIR DRUG REGULATORS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE EXPERTS.

Fucking people.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
By intimating that businesses are being "blamed" for an crisis that they manufactured (which is well documented at this point) you're illustrating what exactly Clark?

I've known several people who had the same sort of opination that you provide there and have become addicted to Oxy through no fault of their own. They followed treatment to a T. What they were advised when they started therapy was not what we've come to learn, which is the degree by which these medications build a drug dependency. These were also non-recreational drug users. These weren't people having a good time on pills nor were they abusing their dosage. These aren't teenagers. They were fed one set of information and a completely different outcome was reached. In 1 case it lead to severe consequences with organ failure.

I have been on opioids and have never developed an addiction. But I also haven't been on sustained/management pain therapy treatment. My mother-in-law is just coming off of one that lasted approximately 5 months, which is next to nothing in terms of how long these treatments can be sustained. She's experienced insomnia, withdrawls, and bloodclots all stemming from continual postponement of knee surgery due to Covid (not her choice).

The idea that we wouldn't hold the drug manufacturers accountable given the body of evidence that details how they mislead and influenced doctors and prescribers is pretty fucking ignorant. Highlighting your incredulity over holding the Purdue family account means what by contrast?

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!

I feel like you didn't read the article before commenting.

Clark Kent

The dr. gave the medication, shouldn’t they be held just as responsible.

i Don’t believe for the most part that car manufacturers, gun, tobacco, fast food, alcohol and etc... should be held responsible.

for the most part, but I do understand when hiding results and still pushing incentives. That’s why in my first i added the edited part that I mentioned i seen they paid more to write more scripts.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Doctors have been when it's been shown that they prescribed painkiller in excess, in bad faith (such as for profit), or out of convenience so malpractice. But this ignores that Doctors in general WERE MISLEAD BY A CONCERTED EFFORT OF DISINFORMATION REGARDING THE EFFECTS AND RISKS OF OXYCONTIN. In addition to misleading healthcare professionals there was incentivizing or outright bribes.

Now just because the information has changed and healthcare professions are more educated regarding the risks of opioids, that doesn't mean the supply has diminished. If you've created a dependency it's takes time to undo or reverse that dependency.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
The dr. gave the medication, shouldn’t they be held just as responsible.

i Don’t believe for the most part that car manufacturers, gun, tobacco, fast food, alcohol and etc... should be held responsible.

for the most part, but I do understand when hiding results and still pushing incentives. That’s why in my first i added the edited part that I mentioned i seen they paid more to write more scripts.
I think you're categorizing people who were dealing with legit pain management issues and got this junk pushed on them by doctors, and junkies who tried it to get high and got hooked, into the same category.

My best friend died shooting up oxys, they found him with the needle still in his arm. He didn't have a pain problem, he had a drug problem. His fault, not the manufacturers.

A guy I worked construction with fell off a roof and fucked his back up. The doctor prescribed oxys, says it was less habit forming than other options, per the manufacturer. He tried to get something else prescribed, doctor wouldn't do it (winner why?$). He ended up in rehab and lost his job. I blame the manufacturer.

Clark Kent

I think you're categorizing people who were dealing with legit pain management issues and got this junk pushed on them by doctors, and junkies who tried it to get high and got hooked, into the same category.

My best friend died shooting up oxys, they found him with the needle still in his arm. He didn't have a pain problem, he had a drug problem. His fault, not the manufacturers.

A guy I worked construction with fell off a roof and fucked his back up. The doctor prescribed oxys, says it was less habit forming than other options, per the manufacturer. He tried to get something else prescribed, doctor wouldn't do it (winner why?$). He ended up in rehab and lost his job. I blame the manufacturer.
If you look at one of my posts I actually said there’s a difference between someone who actually needs it and someone that just uses it to get high.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
If you look at one of my posts I actually said there’s a difference between someone who actually needs it and someone that just uses it to get high.
well I'm glad we're both in agreement that we disagree with your previous statements lol

Ct_L33T

It's like you receive information and purposefully misinterpret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.
foundstarr wrote on Ninjastix's profile.
playing anything fun?
Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
My small collection of whisk(e)y is now at twelve bottles. Not the worst problem to have. hehe
You might be a financial wizard
With a sack of loot
All I see is a slimy lizard
With an expensive suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom