One Study Shows That People Stop Listening To New Music At Age 33

LEGEND

Currently running late for my funeral
http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...-people-stop-listening-to-new-music-at-age-33

So there's a study floating around online that says that once you hit the ripe old age of 33, you're basically done discovering new artists. The study was done by collecting information based on the listening habits of U.S. Spotify users, alongside information from Echo Nest.

The above chart explains it a little better, so sayeth A/V Club.

In this visualization, teens rest at the center of the nebula, listening almost exclusively to top Billboard hits and blissfully unaware that some rando is collecting data on their favorite jams. But age forces an outward spiral, as those teens turn to twentysomethings, begin exploring their options, and start making cool indie playlists for each other. After that, taste levels off and begins a long stasis, right as folks hit their mid-30s. As the study states:

“Two factors drive this transition away from popular music. First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age — but which has since phased out of popularity.”

I guess that's true for the avid Joe Schmo that's jamming on some radio tunes and then decides he wants to dig a little bit deeper, but I definitely feel like there are some genres that people are constantly digging for newer stuff to listen to. I'd love to see a breakdown of genres for this study, just to see what fans are stagnating and listening to the same old same old after a while and which fans are getting to be 40 or 50 and still unearthing some new stuff.

The study also found that whenever people become parents, they're not looking for new stuff to listen to. Which absolutely makes sense, so then what's the split there? If we took out parents from this chart what would it look like? I think this study is really interesting but the generalizations made without presenting everything broken down makes it a little difficult.

Neganomics

Your Trusted Web M.Deezy
That's one of the great things about my ADHD. I feel like there will never be a time in my life where I am not drawn to novelty.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see it.

LEGEND

the only thing I collect is music, so I have a ton of musical 'oddities'

I love finding weird artists that do music like no one else

Im 35 and I look up new music daily, and have a ton of artists Im trying to turn people onto

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
Survival Pool Champion
When you get older you do tend stop listening to new music or at-least stop making an attempt at discovering the best new band out there. I am 39 i listen to groups like Imagine Dragons, i don't want to become one of those people who say "in my day the music was better", which i could say and i would be right in my pronouncement.
Kids think Greenday is classic rock music, i remember when they came out.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430725833,1430725752][/DOUBLEPOST]
the only thing I collect is music, so I have a ton of musical 'oddities'

I love finding weird artists that do music like no one else

Im 35 and I look up new music daily, and have a ton of artists Im trying to turn people onto
James is the best band you never heard of, great fucking band, insane vocals and melodies, check them out.

LEGEND

Floater is the best band you've never heard of

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
It's been at least a year since I have found a new artist I listen to regularly. Since I have been around 23 I have focused more on revisiting music that I used to listen to all the time but haven't listed to in a long time.

LEGEND

It's been at least a year since I have found a new artist I listen to regularly. Since I have been around 23 I have focused more on revisiting music that I used to listen to all the time but haven't listed to in a long time.
I got a ton of new artists whenever youre ready

who do you listen to the most? name a few

Hassquatch

Slayer
I have found it seems like I don't have the time to look into new (new to me) bands as I get older. I just turned 33 last week. I do from time to time. Most recent discovery was Wo-Fat. I don't buy new CDs as much as I'd like to either. Just bought the last Hank 3 cd and a t-shirt in support hoping he turns a profit soon so we can get a new tour and album from one of the most talented/creative musicians ever - hardest working too!

TriangleSmoke

Motherfucker of the Century
Site Donor
When you get older you do tend stop listening to new music or at-least stop making an attempt at discovering the best new band out there. I am 39 i listen to groups like Imagine Dragons, i don't want to become one of those people who say "in my day the music was better", which i could say and i would be right in my pronouncement.
Kids think Greenday is classic rock music, i remember when they came out.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430725833,1430725752][/DOUBLEPOST]

James is the best band you never heard of, great fucking band, insane vocals and melodies, check them out.
Two of the radio stations I sell for play Imagine Dragons: an alternative station and a pop station. The alternative station plays them the most. The pop station plays the b.s. dance remixes.

My point is that although the study from the OP may indicate people generally stop discovering new music at 33, my ratings show that 44 year olds are into new music, particularly "alternative" which I and a lot of my colleagues tend to call "pussy rock," like Imagine Dragons, Awolnation, Fun, etc. I actually enjoy all three of those bands very much to be honest. I've seen all of them in concert. Awolnation and Fun were two of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen everything from Doc John to Public Enemy to Slayer.

LEGEND

that explains way too much, you young bastard
[DOUBLEPOST=1430797368,1430796651][/DOUBLEPOST]check out a band from Oregon called 'Floater'

some of the best music Ive ever heard, quite a few albums, all strong.

and thats just a few. these guys have only gotten better and better. not many bands can claim that.

the first song was on the first album, the last one on their second. the middle around 2002 I believe

and on the newest album

their just fucking amazing

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I stopped listening to new music round 29/30. Can't do it. New music, meaning, new music trends/popular music is automatically stupid to me. New rock, new alternative, is automatically stupid to me. New rap, new hip-hop, again, automatically stupid. Whatever the fuck Mumford and sons is, fucking dumb.

I'm old. Your music is fucking stupid though. Which means 10-12 years ago, all my shit was stupid. Now, new music that is just music I didn't have time to discover, that shit is awesome. I've gone back and started listening to middle albums by bands I like or was aware of tangentially, but didn't really invest in at the time. Your tastes also mellow as you age, you're much more interested in slower tempo, harmony driven shit.

I also cannot tolerate anything... ANYTHING love related in my old age. All this pussy-male, whiny, love lost bullshit, all this sensitive male nonsense, fucking rampant faggotry in music. If I never hear a love song again it'll be too soon.

Ct_L33T

I don't see myself ever not listening to new music. I become bored with new songs after 2 weeks of playtime, so I am constantly looking for new mixtapes and albums.

Bran

Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?
I don't really look for new music. I got into awolnation a little bit a couple years ago, but I find that most of the music I listen to is shit I was familiar with years ago.

28 years old, by the way.

The "newest" band I've "discovered" recently is Can, which is a German band from 1968 that had a song on the Inherent Vice soundtrack, so I decided to check out an album. I'll do that once in a while, but really, I don't take in enough music to look for new bands.

At the same time, anything dubstep, or the neighboring genres that I will continue to call dubstep, even though I'm sure billions of teenagers and DJs can tell me why it's not dubstep, is complete and utter garbage to me. It does nothing for me, it's not music to me, and it's a trend I can't wait to see leave, even though I don't see it happening.

ILJO

Site Donor
But there is some good electronic shit. Don't mistake it all for dubstep. There are some good bands like Daft Punk and Emancipator and what not.

LEGEND

But there is some good electronic shit. Don't mistake it all for dubstep. There are some good bands like Daft Punk and Emancipator and what not.
theres a ton of it

the new Prodigy album was amazing. its has some minor elements of all electronic genres on the album

I highly recommend it, but you play skrillex in my car, your ass is walking

Bran

Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?
I don't hate all electronic music. I love Daft Punk, Moby, Chemical Brothers, etc, but anything that sounds "dubsteppy" kills my ears, every time.

LEGEND

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I stopped listening to new music round 29/30. Can't do it. New music, meaning, new music trends/popular music is automatically stupid to me. New rock, new alternative, is automatically stupid to me. New rap, new hip-hop, again, automatically stupid. Whatever the fuck Mumford and sons is, fucking dumb.

I'm old. Your music is fucking stupid though. Which means 10-12 years ago, all my shit was stupid. Now, new music that is just music I didn't have time to discover, that shit is awesome. I've gone back and started listening to middle albums by bands I like or was aware of tangentially, but didn't really invest in at the time. Your tastes also mellow as you age, you're much more interested in slower tempo, harmony driven shit.

I also cannot tolerate anything... ANYTHING love related in my old age. All this pussy-male, whiny, love lost bullshit, all this sensitive male nonsense, fucking rampant faggotry in music. If I never hear a love song again it'll be too soon.
So this was 6 years ago and while yeah, it's very difficult for me to accept new trends in music and not roll my eyes sometimes at some modern artists, I have been able to appreciate new music and quality recordings outside of my generation. I've been able to wade a bit into the past to discover earlier artists. A lot of this is due to becoming an audio hobbyist. I have the equipment to really dig out the nuances of recordings if I'm so inclined and can find things not recorded on a speak-and-spell. Age has also mellowed my desire to blow out my fucking ear drums. While I'm not going to be listening to Jazz or Blues or Country Western any time soon, I don't eschew those influences as I did in years past. I'm a bit more open than I was 6 years ago to new recordings in alternative rock, electronica/synthwave, orchestral, and hip-hop.

Controversial or "hype" artists I still can't approach. You see the gimmicks for the marketing ploys they are once you hit a certain level of insight. I don't have time for convolution in my music. I want to enjoy the best possible version of an artist's vision sonically, and if they can't express it without gimmicks or media controversy then I'm sorry, there's just enough time in the day to bother or care. Every generation has the right to live out the artists of their day, but the rest of us don't have suffer in that atmosphere. You can't go back you can only evolve.

Music doesn't seem as stupid as it did to me a few years ago. There's plenty of goofy shit out there sure, but giving it more attention then its worth is just misplaced energy and a waste of time. I think the importance of "having" music is what needed to fade from me. I have my generational catalog and while I think it's great I no longer consider it the "best". It's just music I like and I know why I like it more importantly. Trying to find those same sort of melodies and rhythms in newer music is a totally worthwhile endeavor. There's only so many times you can listen to the same shit anyway.

GingerPowerBottom

mortality, ka, and the Tower
I listen to the radio. My favorite radio station plays past hits and new music. I like the mix. Fun to hear something I’m familiar with and then hearing something new.
The kids I work with like terrible (to me) music, but I enjoy watching them jam to it. Post Malone and the Bieber fever. I take a turn sometimes and they roll their eyes when I play the Bangles or something.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
So this was 6 years ago and while yeah, it's very difficult for me to accept new trends in music and not roll my eyes sometimes at some modern artists, I have been able to appreciate new music and quality recordings outside of my generation. I've been able to wade a bit into the past to discover earlier artists. A lot of this is due to becoming an audio hobbyist. I have the equipment to really dig out the nuances of recordings if I'm so inclined and can find things not recorded on a speak-and-spell. Age has also mellowed my desire to blow out my fucking ear drums. While I'm not going to be listening to Jazz or Blues or Country Western any time soon, I don't eschew those influences as I did in years past. I'm a bit more open than I was 6 years ago to new recordings in alternative rock, electronica/synthwave, orchestral, and hip-hop.

Controversial or "hype" artists I still can't approach. You see the gimmicks for the marketing ploys they are once you hit a certain level of insight. I don't have time for convolution in my music. I want to enjoy the best possible version of an artist's vision sonically, and if they can't express it without gimmicks or media controversy then I'm sorry, there's just enough time in the day to bother or care. Every generation has the right to live out the artists of their day, but the rest of us don't have suffer in that atmosphere. You can't go back you can only evolve.

Music doesn't seem as stupid as it did to me a few years ago. There's plenty of goofy shit out there sure, but giving it more attention then its worth is just misplaced energy and a waste of time. I think the importance of "having" music is what needed to fade from me. I have my generational catalog and while I think it's great I no longer consider it the "best". It's just music I like and I know why I like it more importantly. Trying to find those same sort of melodies and rhythms in newer music is a totally worthwhile endeavor. There's only so many times you can listen to the same shit anyway.
Look at your growing as a human. Good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Stand aside to better men, or blaze a trail and become one.
The mind-killer fears reality
Mind-killer is the mind-killer
Reality is the mind-killer.
You know you're old when you are hyped that you got a breadmaker for your birthday. Thing is it makes cakes and jams too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toolfan14
Top Bottom