New MTV Show Shames Kids for White Privilege

cheeseflosser

Lest we forget the very creation of most of the words in question was to disparage or somehow invoke feelings of inferiority

jokerthief

No reason to get excited.
Site Donor
The reason why people get riled up over children using curse words specifically is due to the fact that they are too immature to know how to use them in context.

Also, when children begin cursing at an earlier age they may, not always, not be able to discern at an older age when cursing is appropriate.
While cussing amongst friends & family may be acceptable doing so in a business setting would be detrimental.

In regards to the definitions of words being set in stone, no words in differing societies have differing context & in turn may mean something a bit differently, so no they are not quite set in stone.

But words do have a societal agreement when it comes to their meaning. We know there are racial slurs & why people are offended by them.
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the definition provided to the slurs described as "uncapable of being accurate"?
I once seriously considered giving up cursing for good. Then I thought, fuck that shit.

Hassquatch

Slayer
The reason why people get riled up over children using curse words specifically is due to the fact that they are too immature to know how to use them in context.

Also, when children begin cursing at an earlier age they may, not always, not be able to discern at an older age when cursing is appropriate.
While cussing amongst friends & family may be acceptable doing so in a business setting would be detrimental.

In regards to the definitions of words being set in stone, no words in differing societies have differing context & in turn may mean something a bit differently, so no they are not quite set in stone.

But words do have a societal agreement when it comes to their meaning. We know there are racial slurs & why people are offended by them.
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the definition provided to the slurs described as "uncapable of being accurate"?
They mean different things to different people so defining them is difficult.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438609804,1438609635][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lest we forget the very creation of most of the words in question was to disparage or somehow invoke feelings of inferiority
That's why I don't think teaching and encouraging sensitivity to hearing or reacting to these words is the best route. Gives the words more power to disparage or invoke the inferior feelings. Teaching sensitivity in using them, sure.

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
just had to cash in some white privilege. Rolled on through a red light on the way home from work, got pulled over, didn't get shot.

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
just had to cash in some white privilege. Rolled on through a red light on the way home from work, got pulled over, didn't get shot.
Get a ticket? Been a while since I had one.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
The baby was screaming at me to close the sunroof. When I reached up to close it I swerved just a bit. My tires touched the white line. Cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for improper lane usage. $360...

Miz

mortality, ka, and the Tower
I have a history as well. Most of it was my fault/stupidity but I’ve had a good run of luck (and I’m behaving myself).

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Shame is unhealthy for something you were born into. It's bad for kids and will yield deep,negative reactions. We should encourage kids to feel gratitude for privilege so they can healthily acknowledge it while being motivated to "pay it back" to society and be proactive in addressing it. No one looking out for you or society would encourage swaths of people to feel deep shame. It's social junk food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rammstein's "Deutschland" is the best music video ever.
Ya'll are so lucky today, you don't know how good you have it. I was born in 1932, we were so dumb, we listened to tap dancers on the radio.
Bandcamp is bad for my wallet.
The trick to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmcgregor
Top Bottom