New MTV Show Shames Kids for White Privilege

jokerthief

No reason to get excited.
Site Donor
I can see what this documentary is trying to do, and I think its intentions were good, but I just think their strategy is counter productive. Whenever you try to point out someone's ignorance, the natural human response is usually to withdraw from the conversation and close one's mind. This is kinda like a survival mechanism. It hurts emotionally to have someone point out your ignorance, so in order to prevent more emotional pain, the mind shuts down. You'll notice this phenomenon whenever you see someone correct someone else's grammar online. The person who gets corrected almost never learns from the interaction. You'll see them make the same mistake after having the mistake pointed out. I've seen this with simple things like someone explaining the right use of "too" vs. "to". It's a very simple rule to understand, but the person who gets corrected won't change their usage. It's because they didn't allow the corrective information into their mind because they shut it down due to the emotional hurt.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think the media needs to play a part. I was a child in the 80s and I was exposed to a ton of positive African Americans in the media. My mom and I used to watch the Cosby show every week. That show was about an African American couple, one a doctor and the other a lawyer, and their family. Later on there was Family Matters, which is about a wholesome middle class family. Then came The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. All those shows countered negative stereotypes. Have there been any shows like this in the last 20 years? It seems to me that starting in the early 90s, most movies that involved predominantly African American characters were always about gangster life.

So I think the media has dropped the ball in the last 20 years. There needs to be more media produced that shows African Americans in normal situations.

cheeseflosser

Roc was phenomenal.

I think there have been good shows but they have seemed too cheesy for the world at the time.....Steve harvey, moesha, hanging with Mr cooper, Bernie mac show, everybody hates his etc.

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Family Matters were my favorite shows growing up. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of car Eddie Winslow was tinkering with in the opening credits. I know it was purple with what looked like a supercharger sticking out of the hood. Anyone got a guess?

TriangleSmoke

Motherfucker of the Century
Site Donor
The trailer park in Broom county is predominately white, like 95% white. Where I lived, trailer park trash was used interchangeably with white trash by the indian/asian/black/hispanic kids in reference to the impoverished white population. Imo that is a clear case of racial bias/prejudice and many of the inhabitants voiced similar feelings.

It's not the word that's "racist", but it's usage; hence why I say it can cary racial undertones; the same goes for the word "ghetto".

Let me ask you this, is the term "redneck" racist?
No. "Redneck" isn't used to disparage an entire race.

Blacks, whites and mexicans live in trailer parks in my home town. Many live in trailers on their own property too. If "trailer park trash" is racist, then is "pretentious rich cocksucker" racist too?

cheeseflosser

Uh yes, it is. It's used chiefly to disparage Appalachian Americans and often applied to anyone with a southern accent regardless of actions or attitude.

TriangleSmoke

Motherfucker of the Century
Site Donor
Uh yes, it is. It's used chiefly to disparage Appalachian Americans and often applied to anyone with a southern accent regardless of actions or attitude.
Hell I grew up on the edge of the Appalachians as much as I grew up on the lake and on the river. I have lots of family in North GA, and many are most certainly hillbilly fuckin rednecks. It's not racist. Mean? Maybe if you're a pussy. At the end of the day at my core I'm just a redneck country boy from GA.

Ct_L33T

Larry the Cable guy and Jeff Foxworth made lots of money using the term redneck and promoting it. So we're they being racist against themselves, or is it only racist when other people use it?

cheeseflosser

An attempt to "own" a word or label does not remove it's connotation nor the fact that it's single intention is to disparage a group of people.

Ct_L33T

So people who use those words as an attempt to own it are self deprecating racists?

You don't think the way a word is used influences its meaning?

Ct_L33T

People who attemt to own the words Nigger, Redneck, and Faggot are actually engaging in self depreciating (racist/homophobic) behavior. Correct?

Sniggles

ex nihilo
All this talk of what should offend people offends me. People need to stop being a pussy and mosey on their day. So what if someone said words. It doesn't mean shit unless you let it. People on this continent like to make themselves and their rights so damn self-important. Stop getting offended when shit hasn't happened to you.

Trodden

Currently running late for my funeral
you know when they stop teaching Dodgeball in schools, you're bound to have problems like this

Hassquatch

Slayer
Ok, please go back and read conversation on the last two pages. Don't know how you guys can't see how fucking stupid it is to be so sensitive over these fucking words. Don't be such a bunch of redneck spic honky nigger gook wap trailer trash asses.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
If a black says nigger, does it mean something different? If a gay says faggot, does it?
It depends on the context. If someone calls "my nigger" as a term of endearment than it is a term of endearment. There is nothing wrong with it as long as both parties deems it inoffensive.

Mr. Cornute

Prince of Saiyan...stuff.
As the resident black person on this portion on the forum I will chime in on the nigger/nigga debate.

Nigger & Nigga mean the same exact thing considering nigga is nothing more than the ignorant for & incorrectly spelled version of nigger.

With that said nigger has inherently been used in this country as a pejorative towards black people & as a means of intimidation.

When black people say nigger/nigga the meaning is exactly the same as when a white person states it , definition, but the context behind it changes depending upon the person. When a black person says "what's up nigga?" To another black person they are both showing a bit of dissonance associated with the word...they choose not to be offended but do so knowing the definition but allowing the context to change their perception.

When a white person says nigga to a black person they are unfamiliar with most black people find it hard to gauge the context behind it due to the fact that their normal association with white people saying nigger/nigga is negative (personally &historically ).

This is the reason why most people would advise that white people air on the side of caution when it comes to saying nigga in front of black people they are largely unfamiliar with. The same reason why you shouldn't call a woman a "bad bitch " even if meant as a compliment unless you can gauge her acceptance of being called bitch due to its inherent negative connotation.

Now, I do not refer to myself or allow people to refer to me as a nigga nigger or anything of the like. BUT there are plenty of things that we allow others to call us within our circles or family that wouldn't be tolerated outside of said circle or family.

Words do have meaning & historical context.

When people say trailer trash the inherent context to that is poor white people are are unkempt.

Faggot means a gay male who is emasculated & feminine.

Bitch means an unruly & undesirable woman

Etc etc etc

All of those words have the meaning &when used in the context to insult are insulting. People get upset about context of words used more than words themselves & perception helps shape the context viewed.

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
Mr. Cornute usually is well spoken.

This whole conversation makes me think of the racial sensitivity training scene from Rescue Me.

Hassquatch

Slayer
As the resident black person on this portion on the forum I will chime in on the nigger/nigga debate.

Nigger & Nigga mean the same exact thing considering nigga is nothing more than the ignorant for & incorrectly spelled version of nigger.

With that said nigger has inherently been used in this country as a pejorative towards black people & as a means of intimidation.

When black people say nigger/nigga the meaning is exactly the same as when a white person states it , definition, but the context behind it changes depending upon the person. When a black person says "what's up nigga?" To another black person they are both showing a bit of dissonance associated with the word...they choose not to be offended but do so knowing the definition but allowing the context to change their perception.

When a white person says nigga to a black person they are unfamiliar with most black people find it hard to gauge the context behind it due to the fact that their normal association with white people saying nigger/nigga is negative (personally &historically ).

This is the reason why most people would advise that white people air on the side of caution when it comes to saying nigga in front of black people they are largely unfamiliar with. The same reason why you shouldn't call a woman a "bad bitch " even if meant as a compliment unless you can gauge her acceptance of being called bitch due to its inherent negative connotation.

Now, I do not refer to myself or allow people to refer to me as a nigga nigger or anything of the like. BUT there are plenty of things that we allow others to call us within our circles or family that wouldn't be tolerated outside of said circle or family.

Words do have meaning & historical context.

When people say trailer trash the inherent context to that is poor white people are are unkempt.

Faggot means a gay male who is emasculated & feminine.

Bitch means an unruly & undesirable woman

Etc etc etc

All of those words have the meaning &when used in the context to insult are insulting. People get upset about context of words used more than words themselves & perception helps shape the context viewed.

Definitely respect your view and understand my 'net rants come off more insensitive since I don't take my time with them while I'm on here. Your post is what most people do and have been taught to view those words that way. I don't see those definitions as being set in stone or capable of being accurate.

I think differently in seeing it as giving a word more power than it should have and allowing someone using it to get anyone riled up. It's weaker to let words control you. I don't know why everyone's taught that and/or learned to react a certain way...or even enabled to use a certain reaction to certain words with expected consequences. Very weird to me how society has done that with words throughout history. ....A kid in school says "what the f" or "what the frick" and that's okay but if they went to "what the fuck" that's trouble, gasp/horror!

Last edited:

Mr. Cornute

Prince of Saiyan...stuff.
The reason why people get riled up over children using curse words specifically is due to the fact that they are too immature to know how to use them in context.

Also, when children begin cursing at an earlier age they may, not always, not be able to discern at an older age when cursing is appropriate.
While cussing amongst friends & family may be acceptable doing so in a business setting would be detrimental.

In regards to the definitions of words being set in stone, no words in differing societies have differing context & in turn may mean something a bit differently, so no they are not quite set in stone.

But words do have a societal agreement when it comes to their meaning. We know there are racial slurs & why people are offended by them.
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the definition provided to the slurs described as "uncapable of being accurate"?

Poindexter

Staff member
Survival Pool Champion
The reason why people get riled up over children using curse words specifically is due to the fact that they are too immature to know how to use them in context.

Also, when children begin cursing at an earlier age they may, not always, not be able to discern at an older age when cursing is appropriate.
While cussing amongst friends & family may be acceptable doing so in a business setting would be detrimental.

In regards to the definitions of words being set in stone, no words in differing societies have differing context & in turn may mean something a bit differently, so no they are not quite set in stone.

But words do have a societal agreement when it comes to their meaning. We know there are racial slurs & why people are offended by them.
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the definition provided to the slurs described as "uncapable of being accurate"?
Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rammstein's "Deutschland" is the best music video ever.
Ya'll are so lucky today, you don't know how good you have it. I was born in 1932, we were so dumb, we listened to tap dancers on the radio.
Bandcamp is bad for my wallet.
The trick to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmcgregor
Top Bottom