New features/addons/themes discussion for forum

thumper

Staff member
@thumper is there a way to 'force' a new post as opposed to it automatically merging to the previous post?

You might see what I am talking about in this thread: https://forum.mmaspot.com/threads/ufc-free-fight-videos-youtube.45412/#post-1089562
There isn't and it bugs me. I think at least for staff, we should have an option checkbox that says 'do not merge'.

the only options are to either always merge, or set a time limit. I set the limit for I think 30 minutes. so if you wait that long it shouldn't merge.

i'll check the perms and let you know for sure.
Post automatically merged:

You know, now that I think about it, I do have one more option. I could put you in a special group that would never automerge your posts, but you'd have to edit posts a lot instead of just adding more.

Thoughts?

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
You know, now that I think about it, I do have one more option. I could put you in a special group that would never automerge your posts, but you'd have to edit posts a lot instead of just adding more.

Thoughts?
Works for me.

thumper

Staff member
Last night we took the server down for about an hour. We did so to upgrade the server the forum runs on. After doing some forensics it seems MariaDB was sucking up too much RAM. We upgraded to a server with double the RAM to handle that, and it should work fine.

Keep in mind, there are tweaks to be done still. it is not running optimal yet. That takes time to dial in. Monitor, change settings a little, rinse/repeat over and over. There's a balance we have to reach.

one thing I'm seeing is the forum seems to me to take a long time to load when I click a thread that has a LOT of replies. Especially ones that have a lot of media in them.

Is anyone else seeing this? let me know

Finally I prefer to switch back and forth from 'boxed' layout (where the forum centers itself but does not stretch out if you widen the browser enough. But there are also times I like 'full width' or 'fluid' which means there's no limit. if you continue to spread out the width on the forum the forum still takes 100% of the width and there are no bars on the side.

So now, on the styles choices, I made the existing style: MMA Spot by Thumper [Blue Reboot] For the original boxed theme, as well as a new one now called "MMA Spot by Thumper [Blue Reboot Wide]

let me know if you have questions

thumper

Staff member
I'll be working out the issues with the really long load time on big threads. it's not difficult but time consuming figuring out the right balance. Just hang in there.

Now I also added a new link. there's a forums members and tabs below at the top. a breadcrumbs list. At the very end you'll notice there's a new one called 'Current Members Online'

you can get to this manually from the forum home then choose the second tab but it's a pain. so i made a quick link that will show on any page of the forums. it will take you to the online users link and automatically list only the members. It hides the bots and guests.

Current Members Online

thumper

Staff member
One note on this. I just implemented a new widget. When you click on Current Members Online, you will now see a new sidebar widget listing who's visited the board recently. Ignores activity, as long as their account has hit it will list them here.

can someone please confirm members can see this?

thumper

Staff member
@Poindexter I really want to keep this thread in the main forum, but it belongs merged with the one in the website forum. If I move it it's going to get seen a LOT less, and I've got follow up information I need to post and I'm not sure where.

thumper

Staff member
I'm posting this in both threads so everyone sees this.

We have a big issue coming up and it's all due to the way XenForo 2 manages large threads.

This issue being slow to load big threads is actually not resolved and it's concerning because if our last 2 tricks don't handle it, it will double the cost of the server to fix it. We aren't even going to approach that. I simply can't afford to literally double the cost of the server. But here's what's going on.

XenForo 1 was awesome, XenForo 2 is awesome but it works differently. For anyone that knows DB queries you'll understand so I'll post it.

The old XenForo works the way 99.99% of forums do. When you pull up a thread t hat has say 100 pages worth of replies, it just pulls up the 100th page in the query. Quick and fast. Well the new version of the forum it instead pulls all 100 pages to make its index. That's 100 times more resources it needs to do the job. A lot more resources. Assume the authors just figured new servers figured you'd have more RAM, because that's where it stores that temporary information. that means it needs about double the RAM to do the same operation.

I can't afford to do that. So we're looking at alternatives. There's a piece of 3rd party software that will do that operation for you. But it doesn't work right with the XenForo. So for right now we have to wait for that, but we're working on it.

The other side is that 3rd party intermediary software costs too.

it all comes down to money.

FYI currently doing server work to further help with big threads (the WWE thread is what we're using). there is a small possibility the server will need to be reboot.

If we go offline it will be brief

Everything is working, no cost required, things worked on the a-plan so we appear to be golden

Last edited:

thumper

Staff member
FYI I implemented a reputation addon today, but I think I misunderstood how it works

IT doesn't use the old system where you could just rep someone, it can combine things li

if I can't figure this out I will remove it and put something else in its place. But for the interim just use this. you can mouseover the bar

Last edited:

thumper

Staff member
Latest update. The reputation system is coming but the earnings need to be evaluated. We need to find a way to balance things and not make it an enormous 9 billion reps again. It's useless at that point. The thought is if we can roll it back to a reasonable level it could be fun to use.

The new addon will allow us to do a lot more to enhance the reps so it will be something that's reflective of how we actually post.

One other update. We've trimmed back the files on the server, removed unnecessary clutter and streamlined the db and web server. This thing is running balls to the wall and we have the capacity to fill this place with users again. Registration is actually open right now, and the spam bots are not getting through. most of them are being blocked at a much lower level than even the forum or the webserver. we've isolated some stuff and been able to really narrow down the bots vs guests.

if you look at 'who's online' the 'guests' used to read around 145 at its worst. The 'robots' section showed no more than a handful which we know is wrong, this forum has been up 12 years every bot on the planet knows about it by now.

But this has helped us really focus on users vs guests vs robots,

Last edited:

thumper

Staff member
I turned on sidebars on the thread views. it won't matter to mobile viewers, only people on desktops.

Along with this, I put in a new addon today.. look around the forum and on some pages you're going to see at the top of the category you'll see a block on the right side that announces the next event and a countdown clock next to it.

there will be a link for the title of the event. Originally it will go to the UFC event page, but later, when we know the thread for the event (the live thread) it will link to that post.

More stuff comnig. For instance, guess what? LIVE CHAT is coming back. during live events the posts will auto load so you just need to sit there your browsers will fill in posts as they come in, using a push method instead of refreshing the whole damned page.

We'll be testing next Saturday night.

Last edited:

thumper

Staff member
Added highly requested addon today. 'ignore more'

You can ignore threads, forums and/or threads(be careful here though, and make sure your forum isn't a sub of one you already 'ignored')

once you add a thread, refresh the page and note the thread is gone

What's even better, you can ignore 'PEOPLE' too :)

in the thread, category, or click a user now, there's an 'ignore' link with additional

Finally, to review all the items youre ignoring, click your username at the top right that shows your icon. A new option called 'ignoring'. Click that and go through the tabs to see the categories,

Poindexter

Staff member
Added highly requested addon today. 'ignore more'

You can ignore threads, forums and/or threads(be careful here though, and make sure your forum isn't a sub of one you already 'ignored')

once you add a thread, refresh the page and note the thread is gone

What's even better, you can ignore 'PEOPLE' too :)

in the thread, category, or click a user now, there's an 'ignore' link with additional

Finally, to review all the items youre ignoring, click your username at the top right that shows your icon. A new option called 'ignoring'. Click that and go through the tabs to see the categories,
This is very comprehensive and should contribute to better the overall user experience. Thanks @thumper!

thumper

Staff member
Thanks @Poindexter

Hey one thing on the countdown.

It appears to be based on GMT so i have to adjust. I didn't do that last time so it was wrong.

if someone could match it to their timezone and report back. It SHOULD work for your time zone correctly, meaning starting at 6pm friday night.

does it look right now?

EDIT: well fuck it's still not right.

Help me out here. 6pm ET would be 23hr GMT correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShakFu
Top Bottom