Nate Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal for the BMF Title set to headline UFC 244 at Madison Square Garden (1 Viewer)

The Sundance Kid

Outlaw
Staff member
They should really do this fight at MW so both of these guys could come in at their natural fighting weight. Just call it openweight for shits and giggles.
[DOUBLEPOST=1567873176,1567872835][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would totally agree if we weren’t living through an era of the UFC where cracking the top 10 basically makes you an interim champion of something.

I think that's the key here. It's the era we are in. It's like the attitude era for WWF. MMA is mainstream now, we don't have to worry about being labeled as human cockfighing any longer, as it's been accepted. Belts like this is only going to open the door to more and more "gimmicks" but these gimmicks are good for entertainment.

Hopefully this will eventually lead to Gabbi Garcia vs. Henry Cuzdo for transgender belt.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
They should really do this fight at MW so both of these guys could come in at their natural fighting weight. Just call it openweight for shits and giggles.
[DOUBLEPOST=1567873176,1567872835][/DOUBLEPOST]

I think that's the key here. It's the era we are in. It's like the attitude era for WWF. MMA is mainstream now, we don't have to worry about being labeled as human cockfighing any longer, as it's been accepted. Belts like this is only going to open the door to more and more "gimmicks" but these gimmicks are good for entertainment.

Hopefully this will eventually lead to Gabbi Garcia vs. Henry Cuzdo for transgender belt.
I feel like Garcia would win that fight haha

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
A fake belt is pretty ridiculous. If the UFC made Conor a belt upon his return, this board would lose their shit. Lol.

BUT....it's absolutely great advertising especially given who is involved. Interim champ champ champ. And is this a 170 belt or an open weight belt?

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
Fuck the WW title. Bunch of lame ass dorks fighting for that right now. Snoozefest central. The real fighters are fighting for the BMF belt! The real stars of the show right now and us fans getting what we deserve! This is a moment of greatness for the fight world.

Only thing that would make this even better is if someone slapped the shit out of Colby.

GangGreenWarrior

There could also be a scenario where the interium WW champ is the BMF champ and he's fighting the WW champ who happens to be the interim BMF champ. At least we didn't end up with a 165 lb weight division.

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
I was actually lost on the fact at first that they replaced Usman/Colby for the main event for this. I was thinking that was a different venue. Oh man, how much better can this get? So basically Colby did get the shit slapped out of him.

There is an MMA god.

I am seriously going to this event and I feel like a kid who is going to Disney world for the first time. Gonna do Halloween with my kid and then ride out the next day. When the hell are tickets on sale!?

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Joe Rogan reacts to the Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal fight announcement
At UFC 241, after Nate Diaz made a successful return to the octagon by defeating Anthony Pettis following a three-year hiatus, Stockton’s Finest called out Jorge Masvidal, saying he wanted to take on the other “baddest motherf*cker” in the game. It was a fight the fans immediately gravitated to. Then this past weekend, the UFC officially announced that Nate Diaz would take on Jorge Masvidal in the main event of UFC 244, and the two would be competing for Diaz’s “BMF” belt, and everyone, including UFC commentator Joe Rogan, was very excited to hear the news.

“When I saw it on my Instagram feed this morning I threw my arms up like somebody got knocked out. ‘Yes!’” Rogan said during his UFC 242 Fight Companion podcast this weekend.

Despite the fact that all the fans and both fighters wanted the fight, there was a moment when it looked like the fight may not happen though. The UFC was originally looking to have welterweight champion Kamaru Usman headline UFC 244 with a title defense against Colby Covington, but those negotiations were not going well and a number of reports began circulating that Masvidal would be granted the title shot instead. The UFC still couldn’t get a deal done though and instead turned to Diaz-Masvidal to main event the fight, despite the UFC’s reluctance to headline PPV’s with non-title fights and Dana White’s previous contentions that Nate Diaz was not part of the UFC’s planning because of his mercurial personality. But with the fight now booked, Rogan says that was all just a negotiation tactic by White.

“It’s worth money,” Rogan said. “I had said that I think Nate Diaz is one of the biggest superstars in the game, right up there with everybody. I guess there was some negotiations or something because Dana White refuted it. He goes, ‘Well I don’t think Nate Diaz is in our long term plans. Nate fights once every three years.’ I’m like, don’t say that. [But] I’m sure [it was part of the negotiation] and to let Nate know that look, we’ve got other plans. There’s other sh*t that we’re doing.”

If it was negotiation, the tactics worked and now fans are in for one of the most anticipated bouts of the year. And while everyone knows all about what Nate Diaz brings to the table, Rogan says people may be underestimating Jorge Masvidal.

“That guy’s so good. He’s so good and he’s so clever,” Rogan said. “That’s one of the best things to say about Masvidal. The thing is people don’t necessarily associate him with knockout power for some reason, but the guy knocked out Yves Edwards with a head kick, he knocked out Darren Till, Donald Cerrone, he knocked out Ben Askren and put him into another dimension with a flying knee, world-record fastest knockout. It’s weird that people don’t associate Masvidal with a knockout artist. He doesn’t necessarily have the most power, but he’s so good.”

But while Rogan is excited for Diaz-Masvidal, the UFC commentator also mentioned that he does hope the UFC can figure it out between Usman and Covington because that’s the title fight he wants to see.

“I’m just excited. But I want Usman vs. Colby. That’s the fight to make.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1568035963,1568035894][/DOUBLEPOST]

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Jorge Masvidal: 'Heads are going to pop' when UFC 244 payday is revealed
Jorge Masvidal might run straight to the bank after his showdown with Nate Diaz.

The two UFC welterweights, Masvidal (34-13 MMA, 13-7 UFC) and Diaz (20-11 MMA, 18-10 UFC), will compete for a self-created “BMF” title on Nov. 2 at UFC 244 in New York. In an interview with ESPN on Monday, “Gamebred” put to rest any doubt that his UFC 244 compensation won’t be satisfying. The American Top Team product expressed great joy in the lucrativeness of his contract.

“I’m getting paid and not played, that’s for sure,” Masvidal said with a laugh. “Listen, your boy is happy. They took care of me.”

When the fight purses are released, Masvidal believes minds will be blown. He also expressed particular pleasure in knowing his doubters will eventually get to see his earnings.

“There is going to a lot of (expletives) coming out,” Masvidal said. “When I say (expletives), I’m not talking about my female listeners or fans, no. It’s particular individuals who are (expletives), who are attention (expletives), who are very salty individuals. They’re pretty salty, but when these numbers come out? Man, some heads are going to pop.”

A competitor in the UFC since April 2013, Masvidal’s popularity increased greatly after his last two performances, a pair of brutal knockouts over fellow contenders Ben Askren and Darren Till. The flying-knee victory over Askren in July clocked as the fastest knockout in UFC history at just 5 seconds.

Since the increase in fan admiration, Masvidal has voiced his desire to be paid accordingly. Numerous times over the past few weeks, the 34-year-old Miami native stated he would not fight again until he received such an offer.

It appears he got his wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest profile posts

So, who is going to vote for Kanye? :>
Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties