McCain plays the sexism card

Krazikarl

Cthulhu fhtagn
Obama has been pretty good about not playing the race card, but McCain whipped out the sexism card pronto:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/02/fiorina-dems-launching-sexist-attacks-against-palin/

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) — Senior McCain adviser Carly Fiorina said Tuesday that Barack Obama, Joe Biden and other Democrats were engaging in sexist attacks on Sarah Palin, as Republicans continued to invoke Hillary Clinton to criticize the Democratic presidential ticket.

“I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience,” said Fiorina. “The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life.

“Because of Hillary Clinton's historic run for the Presidency and the treatment she received, American women are more highly tuned than ever to recognize and decry sexism in all its forms. They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin.”

Fiorina pointed to a Monday interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, when Obama responded to GOP arguments that Palin had more executive experience than he or Biden did.

“Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has I think 50 employees,” he said. “We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years.”

Watch: Obama appears on Anderson Cooper 360

She also pointed to a comment Biden made on the trail over the weekend, when he joked with the crowd at a campaign event that one of the “obvious differences” between him and Palin was that she is “good looking.”
Um, wheres the sexism here? Christ, the McCain campaign repeatedly made the same attacks against Obama, and he didnt say a word about racism, but as soon as they even hint at the attacks McCain used, thats sexism. OK then.

McCain is also whining to high hell about the media (despite studies which show he is much more favorably covered than Obama) and any criticism of Palin:

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_politics

ST. PAUL, Minn. – John McCain's campaign said Tuesday that rival Barack Obama's campaign was spreading "smears" about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's past political affiliations. Yet, some of Palin's previous political activities are a matter of dispute.

At issue are claims by members of the Alaskan Independence Party that Palin was once associated with it. The party, some of whose members have advocated secession from the United States, wants to place all federal lands in Alaska under state control.

The McCain campaign released voter registration documents Tuesday dating to 1990 in which Palin lists herself as a Republican. Campaign spokesman Brian Rogers said Palin has been a registered Republican since 1982, and has never been a member of the Alaskan Independence Party.

Palin addressed the Independence Party's state convention by video earlier this year, welcoming the party to Fairbanks. She gave no indication of a current or past connection to the party.

"Your party plays an important role in our state's politics," she said in the video, which is posted on the party's Web site. "I've always said that competition is so good, and that applies to political parties as well."

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, told ABC News that Palin and her husband, Todd, belonged to the party in 1994. Mark Chryson, chairman of the Independence Party from 1995 to 2002, told the network that Palin attended the party's convention in 1994. He said he was not certain if she was a party member, and party records do not date back that far.

Obama advisers and surrogates have also linked Palin to conservative former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan. An Associated Press story from Alaska, dated July 17, 1999, states that Palin, then the mayor of the small town of Wasilla, was wearing a Buchanan button during a Buchanan visit to Alaska.

The Miami Herald this week quoted an e-mail from Obama Florida spokesman Mark Bubriski that stated: "Palin was a supporter of Pat Buchanan, a right-winger or as many Jews call him: a Nazi sympathizer."

The McCain campaign says Palin supported Steve Forbes' campaign in 1999.

"Supporters of Barack Obama are engaged in an unfortunate and nasty smear campaign," said Rogers, the McCain spokesman.

While Obama advisers and surrogates have drawn attention to Palin's political associations, the campaign has strictly avoided any comment on issues related to Palin's family, specifically anything focused on her 17-year-old daughter's out-of wedlock pregnancy.

"I think people's families are off limits and people's children are especially off limits," Obama said Monday.
Questioning whether or not she belonged to a fairly radical party is a perfectly valid question when the leaders of that party insist that she was involved.

T

thebwit

Gah yet another stupid plan by McCain. Why can't the guy just run an honest campaign and not a smear campaign. Just once I want to see a positive McCain ad on tv. But no, everything that comes out of the guy is Obama is _____. It's not hard, run on what you believe, not on what you think is an opponents faults.

Krazikarl

Cthulhu fhtagn
Huh, it looks like McCain's campaign decided to be honest today on at least one thing:

Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain's presidential bid, insisted that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues during an interview with Post editors this morning.

"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/mccain_manager_this_election_i.html?hpid=topnews

vore9000

Apparently it's the only way to win...

Stuff like this really makes me wonder, what the hell is it going to take?

Are we going to legitimately and seriously ever change the way things are for the better? Or is this shit just gonna bite us in the ass one day.

I was listening to the new Lewis Black album (highly recommended btw) and he goes on this hilarious bit about how we should elect Santa Clause president. Anyway at the end of all that he roughly says that "I know we can't elect a fictional character president....but we are gonna come close."

T

thebwit

Apparently it's the only way to win...

Stuff like this really makes me wonder, what the hell is it going to take?

Are we going to legitimately and seriously ever change the way things are for the better? Or is this shit just gonna bite us in the ass one day.

I was listening to the new Lewis Black album (highly recommended btw) and he goes on this hilarious bit about how we should elect Santa Clause president. Anyway at the end of all that he roughly says that "I know we can't elect a fictional character president....but we are gonna come close."
Hahaha well there is the fill in the blank area....

Krazikarl

Cthulhu fhtagn
He is still playing it:

John McCain's campaign Wednesday called the tough media scrutiny of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin a "faux media scandal designed to destroy the first female Republican" vice presidential nominee.

The McCain campaign has been engaged in an increasingly fierce offensive against media coverage of McCain's choice of running mate that has questioned whether she has the experience to be vice president.

"Governor Sarah Palin is an exceptional governor with a record of accomplishment that exceeds, by far, the governing accomplishments of Senator Obama," wrote senior adviser Steve Schmidt in a memo sent to reporters Wednesday morning. "Her selection came after a six-month long rigorous vetting process where her extraordinary credentials and exceptionalism became clear."

Watch: Palin set for center stage

"This vetting controversy is a faux media scandal designed to destroy the first female Republican nominee for Vice President of the United States who has never been a part of the old boys' network that has come to dominate the news establishment in this country."
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/03/mccain-camp-slams-faux-media-scandal/

Let me see, they are surprised that the media is reporting on the fact that she is being investigated legally due to stuff she did while governor? This isnt news and they are only doing it because of sexism? Really?

They are surprised that the media would report on her 17 year old having a kid when she runs on a pro family/abstinence only platform?

Come on now, the media ALWAYS reports on this stuff, yet they whine to high heaven in this case. Does anybody think for a moment that the media would say nothing if Biden's hypothetical 17 year old had a kid or if Biden was being investigated?

And lets be honest: the McCain campaign knows that this media coverage doesnt have anything to do with gender or her party. They are just complaining because they know its an effective campaign strategy, even though its not true. Old school, dirty politics, but hey, it works.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
This sexism is about as legit as the cries of racism all over every issue that faces our society.

Seriously, you can't say anything about someone without another person bringing their race or sex into it. They attacked her experience not her being a woman.

The Obama campaign should be the last to attack someone based off of experience but McCain shouldn't be pulling the sex card. What's next, the race card? US politics are just crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.
foundstarr wrote on Ninjastix's profile.
playing anything fun?
Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
My small collection of whisk(e)y is now at twelve bottles. Not the worst problem to have. hehe
You might be a financial wizard
With a sack of loot
All I see is a slimy lizard
With an expensive suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom