Lynch mob of uneducated students

Hassquatch

Slayer
http://www.ldnews.com/story/news/education/2015/12/09/lvc-students-rename-lynch-building/77063874/

Wow, anyone with even a shred of common sense and intelligence of any race, especially those spoken of in "demands" like these should be embarrassed for and frustrated with those shouting the loudest these days. This president got the school through the depression and raising funds for the school till the day he died. This school/campus/community has been harmonious racially (that just might change now though). But, it looks like a group of students want to "keep up" with what they see on TV and get some attention. As said before: time, effort, and attention going to this ignorant, uneducated, and biased bullshit instead of proper education, social service, or speaking out against an actual injustice is incredibly disheartening. It's hard to be optimistic about our society's future.

Thamob

ISYMFS
So I guess what they are saying is that since my last name is Lynch I should have it changed as well. Funny thing is I'm black too. I get tired of hearing about kids who are trying to protest and rebel but find the dumbest things to take a stand on.

Hassquatch

Slayer
So I guess what they are saying is that since my last name is Lynch I should have it changed as well. Funny thing is I'm black too. I get tired of hearing about kids who are trying to protest and rebel but find the dumbest things to take a stand on.
Exactly. Replace the Att. General or whoever is named Lynch too. All this effort which only disrespects someone who made every effort to have a good school for them to learn in today. While, 10 miles away their effort could actually be helping people on the streets that are being forgotten about or marginalized against.

rivethead

Neg'd 4 Lyfe
I think you may be misled, a bit here.

A shitload of schools have curriculum that lags behind the rest of education in terms of diversity/multicultural affairs/social justice. I don't have any details about this school, specifically, but this line
Other demands include a more diverse curriculum, more sensitivity training for staff and regular surveys of the racial climate on campus.
makes it seem to me that there are racial problems at the school and students want a variety of things done about them, and the hall name is just one of a host of issues, and was probably tacked on towards the end of the list. I don't see it as precipitating the movement, I see it as peripheral to the core issues.

Personally, having worked at schools where there isn't any training and support for multicultural issues and schools where there is, I'm inclined to think the students have a point, particularly with the current political climate and overt racism making more headlines today than it has in 50 years.

I also don't think they're looking to strike his name from the record. It looks to me like they're looking to have his FULL name honored, with his first name and middle initial. That's simply a matter of changing some signs, and is just one of the demands.

This honestly looks to me as though someone wrote the article to stir up bullshit. The writer seems to have picked the most easily-ridiculed concern the students raised, framed it with pretty severe bias, and then neglected to do any investigation of the other, more impactful concerns and the issues that motivated the demands in the first place.

I'm not saying the Millenial Generation doesn't have more than it's share of entitled brats. But I don't think this situation is accurately depicted, at all.

rh

Thamob

ISYMFS

A shitload of schools have curriculum that lags behind the rest of education in terms of diversity/multicultural affairs/social justice. I don't have any details about this school, specifically, but this line

makes it seem to me that there are racial problems at the school and students want a variety of things done about them, and the hall name is just one of a host of issues, and was probably tacked on towards the end of the list. I don't see it as precipitating the movement, I see it as peripheral to the core issues.

Personally, having worked at schools where there isn't any training and support for multicultural issues and schools where there is, I'm inclined to think the students have a point, particularly with the current political climate and overt racism making more headlines today than it has in 50 years.

I also don't think they're looking to strike his name from the record. It looks to me like they're looking to have his FULL name honored, with his first name and middle initial. That's simply a matter of changing some signs, and is just one of the demands.

This honestly looks to me as though someone wrote the article to stir up bullshit. The writer seems to have picked the most easily-ridiculed concern the students raised, framed it with pretty severe bias, and then neglected to do any investigation of the other, more impactful concerns and the issues that motivated the demands in the first place.

I'm not saying the Millenial Generation doesn't have more than it's share of entitled brats. But I don't think this situation is accurately depicted, at all.

rh
Once again Riv when I see answers like this it always brings me to question.

1) What is it you do
2) How old are you?

Ha ha

Hassquatch

Slayer

rh
The school has an extensive multi-cultural affairs program. This generic line you referred to has been regurgitated from other media reports. Bringing the building name (specific building/name/history) into actual concern only devalues any credible claim; minimal credibility and education tells you that - what research was done before mentioning the building name as an issue?? It is a school with a library, etc!! Anyhow, I've witnessed students on a whole celebrate and support black culture as have employees. It's been a harmonious environment where black students influence white students more than anything. Faculty has looked the other way on student actions if anything in efforts to keep things harmonious.

Small surrounding rural communities appear to misinterpreted as school/campus/faculty responsibility along with misinterpretation of their culture. It's time to begin looking at diversity and multicultural customs from ALL angles. Not accepting or understanding another culture is not grounds for claiming injustice against your own culture.

rivethead

Neg'd 4 Lyfe
...Not accepting or understanding another culture is not grounds for claiming injustice against your own culture.
If you're saying that a student shouldn't be able to claim injustice if their culture is not accepted or understood, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Not only me, the Lebanon Valley College Mission Statement disagrees with you:

A Commitment to Our Values

As a community of inclusive excellence, the College affirms the values by which we seek to live and address the needs of our students and community. We strive to sustain our core values of understanding, inclusiveness, civility, diversity, and service to others. Our mission derives from these values. We do not uphold them; they uphold everything we do and stand for. They are the basis for our College and why we are a college.
http://www.lvc.edu/inclusive-excellence/

Again, I don't know anything beyond a very surface touch on the subject, and nothing at all about campus climate from a cross section of the students...but I see biased, weak journalism often enough to recognize it when I read it.

rh

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
At least they didn't demand any "safe spaces" or segregated areas (at least, that link didn't report any such requests), plus, as long as the guy named Lynch wasn't a racists, then adding his full name isn't that big of a deal.

cheeseflosser

@rivethead Are you thinking the name of the building has developed local meaning that's construed as hateful?

Like, "You know what happens at the lynch building," etc.

Not that anyone here would know that but I'm just trying to determine how using a legitimate last name would go from honoring a person to a negative.

Hassquatch

Slayer
If you're saying that a student shouldn't be able to claim injustice if their culture is not accepted or understood, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Not only me, the Lebanon Valley College Mission Statement disagrees with you:

http://www.lvc.edu/inclusive-excellence/
I meant if one does not understand, accept or simply like another people's culture, it is not grounds for them to spin it into their own culture not being accepted. This is what I see happening here at LVC.

Again, I don't know anything beyond a very surface touch on the subject, and nothing at all about campus climate from a cross section of the students...but I see biased, weak journalism often enough to recognize it when I read it.

rh
Not disagreeing about the possibility of the journalist looking to get headlines, but the students using the building name as an issue to get attention is simply wrong.

@rivethead Are you thinking the name of the building has developed local meaning that's construed as hateful?

Like, "You know what happens at the lynch building," etc.

Not that anyone here would know that but I'm just trying to determine how using a legitimate last name would go from honoring a person to a negative.
The Lynch building does not have a "developed meaning". Even if it did, it is not just to change the name.

It's a group of copy cat kids trying to gain notoriety like they've seen others do on TV. Once again, giving words power over you is weak; this weak mindedness ultimately does nothing more than appease someone's trivial and unfounded sensitivity at best; at worst it sets a terrible precedent for catering to the uneducated and weak minded people taking attention and effort away from issues that have an legitimate social impact.

Hassquatch

Slayer
How narrow minded is it to associate the term lynch with only black people? People of all cultures, sex, and race have been victims of lynch mobs throughout history. Fucking racists.

SickNasty

It's a group of copy cat kids trying to gain notoriety like they've seen others do on TV. Once again, giving words power over you is weak; this weak mindedness ultimately does nothing more than appease someone's trivial and unfounded sensitivity at best; at worst it sets a terrible precedent for catering to the uneducated and weak minded people taking attention and effort away from issues that have an legitimate social impact.
Words have meaning and represent ideals, meaning and (especially) ideals influences thought which influences actions. The fact that we're conversion only using words negates your assumption. I do agree that it can get taken too far (see George Carlin's "Personhole instead of manhole" joke), but I don't think it's too much to ask a university to add a few extra letters to some signs and building entrances.

Hassquatch

Slayer
Are you a student there hass?
Live down the road..
[DOUBLEPOST=1449778801,1449778638][/DOUBLEPOST]
Words have meaning and represent ideals, meaning and (especially) ideals influences thought which influences actions. The fact that we're conversion only using words negates your assumption. I do agree that it can get taken too far (see George Carlin's "Personhole instead of manhole" joke), but I don't think it's too much to ask a university to add a few extra letters to some signs and building entrances.
And it's not too much for someone to inform them how wrong, misinformed, and sensitive-to-their-own-fault they're being by saying, no.

Come on, you guys really don't see how fucking stupid this shit is getting? You don't see how steep of a slippery slope this shit is? We've got to be a lot smarter than this as a society.

SickNasty

And it's not too much for someone to inform them how wrong, misinformed, and sensitive-to-their-own-fault they're being by saying, no.
No it's not "too much". I, personally don't give a shit and I most times agree with what you say. I just feel that something like changing the name of a building that most people haven't thought twice over isn't too big of a request. Is it really that big of a burden?

You don't see how steep of a slippery slope this shit is?
I wouldn't know if shit would be slippery down any type of slope as I haven't seen it slide.
[DOUBLEPOST=1449780157,1449780108][/DOUBLEPOST]
How narrow minded is it to associate the term lynch with only black people? People of all cultures, sex, and race have been victims of lynch mobs throughout history. Fucking racists.
More of a reason to add the full name to the buildings dedicated to that Lynch fellow.

rivethead

Neg'd 4 Lyfe
I meant if one does not understand, accept or simply like another people's culture, it is not grounds for them to spin it into their own culture not being accepted. This is what I see happening here at LVC.
Read what you've just written. If person A doesn't accept person B's culture, person B isn't spinning anything. Their culture isn't being accepted.

Universities are a little different than most places. Most of them are an idealistic PC bubble, and much of that is based around the individual university mission statement.

In the U.S.A., individuals have rights. They have the right to pursue education. But they don't have the "right" to pursue education at any particular institution. It's a privilege, one that has to be earned [applications, GPAs, cost] and a privilege that can be taken away as the institution sees fit [suspension or expulsion.] The grey area is when an institution's mission statement proscribes conduct that an individual has the "right" to do if they were not a student or staff member.

To make that simple, as an American, I can go to my nearest street corner and hold up a sign that says "Niggers are Gay." I may get my ass kicked, but I'm not going to get arrested. I'm not going to have the government seize my assets. But for me to be a member of a college community, whether student or staff, I'm most likely forfeiting my "right" to that speech as part of the "privilege" of being part of that community. Depending on the institution's mission statement, and 99% of the one's I've seen have that diversity/inclusivity element.

So if a student feels like they're not being accepted because someone isn't accepting them, and the university mission state says "we're inclusive and value diversity" they literally have the right to protest. That was really a core element in the Civil Rights movement, where young people challenged the established institutional and cultural elements of discrimination and racism.

Not disagreeing about the possibility of the journalist looking to get headlines, but the students using the building name as an issue to get attention is simply wrong.
Again, I'm reading it as part of a list of concerns, and probably not at the top. I could be wrong. But I think a writer with a bias would find it's a lot easier to make the students look like they've lost their minds by focusing on that, rather than on, say concerns about them being called slurs by campus security or by other staff or students.

The Lynch building does not have a "developed meaning". Even if it did, it is not just to change the name.
As cheeseflosser asked, do you attend this school?
Even then, as a white person, I'm not always aware of developed meaning and resonance of some things, as seen by a member of an underrepresented group.

It's a group of copy cat kids trying to gain notoriety like they've seen others do on TV.
I can't speak to that. I'm not a member of that community, and the writer doesn't even make the effort to interview any of the students who feel wronged. I think it's just as likely that the author has an axe to grind with what they see as "liberal/political correctness gone out of control."

Once again, giving words power over you is weak; this weak mindedness ultimately does nothing more than appease someone's trivial and unfounded sensitivity at best; at worst it sets a terrible precedent for catering to the uneducated and weak minded people taking attention and effort away from issues that have an legitimate social impact.
I don't agree with that. I think that often words are symptomatic of a deeper conviction that can lead to action. When you look at the asshole that shot up planned parenthood, his bullshit started with words. If he was addressed back when it was just words, 3 people may be alive today who aren't, as well as all the people wounded and the families that lost a loved one.

How narrow minded is it to associate the term lynch with only black people? People of all cultures, sex, and race have been victims of lynch mobs throughout history.
Lynching as a verb and Lynch Mob are American words, starting in Virginia in the mid 1800s. Certainly, people of all cultures have been the victim of vigilante violence [often posing as justice] and white activists/supporters were lynched as well, but the term is pretty uniquely American. But all that aside, I'm not seeing where it's only black people who are calling for the change. It just says "students."

Fucking racists.
I'm going to disagree, again.

I agree.

rh

Hassquatch

Slayer
Read what you've just written. If person A doesn't accept person B's culture, person B isn't spinning anything. Their culture isn't being accepted.

Universities are a little different than most places. Most of them are an idealistic PC bubble, and much of that is based around the individual university mission statement.

In the U.S.A., individuals have rights. They have the right to pursue education. But they don't have the "right" to pursue education at any particular institution. It's a privilege, one that has to be earned [applications, GPAs, cost] and a privilege that can be taken away as the institution sees fit [suspension or expulsion.] The grey area is when an institution's mission statement proscribes conduct that an individual has the "right" to do if they were not a student or staff member.

To make that simple, as an American, I can go to my nearest street corner and hold up a sign that says "Niggers are Gay." I may get my ass kicked, but I'm not going to get arrested. I'm not going to have the government seize my assets. But for me to be a member of a college community, whether student or staff, I'm most likely forfeiting my "right" to that speech as part of the "privilege" of being part of that community. Depending on the institution's mission statement, and 99% of the one's I've seen have that diversity/inclusivity element.

So if a student feels like they're not being accepted because someone isn't accepting them, and the university mission state says "we're inclusive and value diversity" they literally have the right to protest. That was really a core element in the Civil Rights movement, where young people challenged the established institutional and cultural elements of discrimination and racism.

Again, I'm reading it as part of a list of concerns, and probably not at the top. I could be wrong. But I think a writer with a bias would find it's a lot easier to make the students look like they've lost their minds by focusing on that, rather than on, say concerns about them being called slurs by campus security or by other staff or students.

As cheeseflosser asked, do you attend this school?
Even then, as a white person, I'm not always aware of developed meaning and resonance of some things, as seen by a member of an underrepresented group.

I can't speak to that. I'm not a member of that community, and the writer doesn't even make the effort to interview any of the students who feel wronged. I think it's just as likely that the author has an axe to grind with what they see as "liberal/political correctness gone out of control."

I don't agree with that. I think that often words are symptomatic of a deeper conviction that can lead to action. When you look at the asshole that shot up planned parenthood, his bullshit started with words. If he was addressed back when it was just words, 3 people may be alive today who aren't, as well as all the people wounded and the families that lost a loved one.

Lynching as a verb and Lynch Mob are American words, starting in Virginia in the mid 1800s. Certainly, people of all cultures have been the victim of vigilante violence [often posing as justice] and white activists/supporters were lynched as well, but the term is pretty uniquely American. But all that aside, I'm not seeing where it's only black people who are calling for the change. It just says "students."

I'm going to disagree, again.

I agree.

rh
If person A does not understand or respect person B's culture, it is not fair for person A to claim person B is not accepting person A's culture.

In this case Lynch is not simply a word, it is a name. That name is not associated with a lynch mob. One must be able to comprehend that. Catering to the uninformed and misguided, for the reason of them being a loud voice or it being a large group, is , ironically enough, similar to a lynch mob mentality.

Poindexter

Staff member
Not addressing the school issue here, but there is a significant study on the history of lynching of blacks in this country. It's an incredibly horrible legacy, unspeakable. The perspective that it is just another relative injustice, according to the OP, demonstrates his essential lack of understanding and the ground from which most of his opinions come from.

rivethead

Neg'd 4 Lyfe
If person A does not understand or respect person B's culture, it is not fair for person A to claim person B is not accepting person A's culture.

In this case Lynch is not simply a word, it is a name. That name is not associated with a lynch mob. One must be able to comprehend that. Catering to the uninformed and misguided, for the reason of them being a loud voice or it being a large group, is , ironically enough, similar to a lynch mob mentality.
Do you understand that they're not disrespecting his name?
They're RESPECTING his name, by asking that it be used in full.

rh

Hassquatch

Slayer
The point is the students' lack of comprehension and understanding. I wouldn't my loved ones to see a Lynch Building sign and wrongly associate that with a lynch mob. It's a much more positive attribute to have a stronger understanding and ability to differentiate.
[DOUBLEPOST=1449843654,1449843605][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not addressing the school issue here, but there is a significant study on the history of lynching of blacks in this country. It's an incredibly horrible legacy, unspeakable. The perspective that it is just another relative injustice, according to the OP, demonstrates his essential lack of understanding and the ground from which most of his opinions come from.
See above

Ct_L33T

You have a lot to say about life/interactions on college campuses lately, practically 100% negative. Did you go to college @Hassquatch ?

Im asking out of my curiosity toward how you formed your opinions.

Last edited:

RearNakedSmoker

The Cone of Uncertainty
Are you going to ask another stupid question if I say no? Going to college =/= having a degree.
Pffffffftttt....lol. Are you going to fuck off if I tell you to?
You're in good company here, Buckwheat. You and the rest of generation crybaby.

Last edited:

chrisc

Ninja
Oh fuck off. There is a Lynch's Irish Pub in Jackonsillve, should it be renamed as well? I dunno about the culture on the campus. Climate surveys are fine and make sense though

Hassquatch

Slayer
Went to college, have a degree, have a great job. A lot of what I say isn't negative, some of you just take it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evolveny
Top Bottom