Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson cancelled

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Dana White Confirms Khabib Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson Clash Set For Early 2020
It appears negotiations are underway for the highly-anticipated lightweight title fight between current king Khabib Nurmagomedov and the former interim ace Tony Ferguson in early 2020, according to UFC President Dana White.

“The Eagle” and “El Cucuy” have been scheduled to fight each other on four separate occasions, but each fight has fallen through either due to injuries or the result of a failed weight cut.

Now the stage is set for the fight to finally come to fruition early next year after White confirmed talks between the UFC and both fighters had commenced.

White told “The Schmo” in a recent interview that it is the “next fight to make” and will see the champ put his undefeated 28-0 professional record on the line against the guy riding a 12-fight winning streak (via BJPenn.com).

“Nothing is holding [that matchup] up,” White told the Schmo of a Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson fight. “The fight is in the process of being made. It’s obviously the next fight to make, so it will happen.”

White was pressed if the bout would be scheduled for the first quarter of 2020 and responded with the following:

“Yeah,” White said bluntly.

Dana White: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson fight ‘is in the process of being made’
“Nothing is holding [that matchup] up,” White told the Schmo of a Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson fight. “The fight is in the process of being made. It’s obviously the next fight to make, so it will happen.”

The Schmo then followed up, asking White if we can expect the matchup in the first quarter of 2020.

“Yeah,” White said bluntly.

So there you have it. Barring another disaster,Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson will finally collide sometime in the first few months of the new year.

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
still seems more likely to happen than Conor fighting someone other than old men in bars
He may be getting ready to fight Cerrone who is an old man (in fight years) that sits in many bars. One that can hit back.

And I sure as shit hope Ferg finally gets a crack at Khabib. That is one of the top fights in the UFC to make right now. Someone needs to monitor both guys 24/7 to keep them on track to getting into the cage.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
What is the consensus on a fight with TFurg vs Khabib?

who wins?>
I would LOVE to see TFerg win. I'm a fan and, given that his family came out and supported him as suffering from severe mental illness and not otherwise being abusive, I think he gets a pass for what happened while he was hallucinating.

He's the best kind of crazy and I think he can do it if it gets out of the second round because Tony will drain Khabib's cardio. But Tony has eaten a ton of damage, almost got done in by Pettis, etc. So we could easily see Khabib open up cuts and stop him in the first few rounds.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Khabib Nurmagomedov will give Conor McGregor a rematch 'if he wins 10 fights in a row'
“As for a rematch, to fight for a belt in the UFC, I remember I had something like nine or 10 fights. If he wins 10 fights in a row, then that’s completely possible,” Nurmagomedov said.
“They offered me to fight in Vegas in March, but I told them that if Vegas officially apologizes for wrongly fining me for that incident on October 6, 2018, then I’ll fight there,” he said.

“If not, then they can assign me to another date. As far as I know, they’re planning in April to hold (a fight card) somewhere in New York, so I’m saying I’m ready for April, or March if Las Vegas apologizes.”

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
well vegas (the NSAC) won't apologize especially because they were right fining and suspending him

seems like a stupid request

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Khabib Nurmagomedov explains why sometimes he goes ”easy on opponents”
“I had fights in my career where I understood that I could hurt my opponent more, but I’d talk to him, tell him to give up so that I don’t beat him too hard,”

“For example, if I had a painful hold where I could break something, I wouldn’t tighten it all the way, it’d just fix it so that the opponent would tap out.
The champion tries not to hurt his opponents and finish them in the most efficient method possible:

Because I have no aim to hurt anyone in this sport. Yes, we compete in a very brutal sport,” Khabib Nurmagomedov added.

“At the beginning, when you’re just starting out and winning fights, it brings you some sort of pleasure. You enjoy it.

“Recently I haven’t had that. In the last couple of years I’ve gone out there and won and it doesn’t bring me any real joy to be honest.

“Well, with the exception of one fight, let’s say. In that fight I beat that guy with pleasure, I’ll tell you. In that fight, I beat that man with pleasure.”

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1573760152,1573758602][/DOUBLEPOST]
If it happens, I'm glad they are fighting now. They are both at the top of their game imo
yeah. this is the one fight I think Khabib will lose. Plus he's repeatedly said and proven that he has a tendency to want to side step his game plan and 'prove' he can stand up some.

As long as he spends 100% of his time shooting and hanging on Tony, he's going to get lit up. Which, now that I've seen him successfully thump Conor, i can go back to really disliking Khabib

Palma

I am chaos
[DOUBLEPOST=1573760152,1573758602][/DOUBLEPOST]
yeah. this is the one fight I think Khabib will lose. Plus he's repeatedly said and proven that he has a tendency to want to side step his game plan and 'prove' he can stand up some.

As long as he spends 100% of his time shooting and hanging on Tony, he's going to get lit up. Which, now that I've seen him successfully thump Conor, i can go back to really disliking Khabib
I don't think it's a predictable outcome, but if there is anyone that can overwhelm Khabib, it's Ferguson

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Khabib Nurmagomedov Still Wants Georges St. Pierre After Tony Ferguson
“Our opponent is definitely Tony Ferguson. There’s no other name that deserves it. We wanted the GSP fight, but GSP didn’t get along with the UFC,” Said Nurmagomedov.

“For this reason, our only and most valuable option is Ferguson. However, it is still wrong to say 100 percent it will be this fight without signing the papers. If the UFC and GSP can negotiate, we want to meet GSP after the Ferguson fight.”

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson UFC title fight nearly finalized for April 18
According to a Monday report by UFC promotional partner ESPN, White said the company hopes to book the fight as the main event for a pay-per-view card at Barclays Center. Neither fighter has commented yet on the potential fight date.

Ballengee Group, which manages Ferguson, told MMA Junkie that both parties are “in late stages of negotiations.” Nurmagomedov’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, teased “BREAKING NEWS SOON” earlier Monday on Twitter and later posted a photo on Instagram of a purported signed bout agreement by the UFC lightweight champion.
[DOUBLEPOST=1574741021,1574740770][/DOUBLEPOST][DOUBLEPOST=1574741056][/DOUBLEPOST]Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson to headline April 18 UFC PPV