Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington Welterweight Title Fight [Post Fight Discussion] (1 Viewer)

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Usman-Covington bout set for UFC 245

After weeks of negotiations, Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington is finally on.

The UFC welterweight title fight is set for UFC 245 on Dec. 14 in Las Vegas, sources told ESPN on Friday.

This marks the end of a saga that dates to earlier this year. Since Usman won the title in March, the UFC has tried to make this fight. However, for various reasons, it never came together. Once Covington beat Robbie Lawler in August, it seemed like a lock for UFC 244 on Nov. 2 at Madison Square Garden, but after negotiations with both fighters repeatedly stalled, the UFC booked Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz as the main event for that card instead.

The promotion recently reached out to top contender Leon Edwards to be on standby in case it couldn't get a deal done with either Covington or Usman, but in the end it did. It's unclear what Edwards will do.

Usman (15-1) has won his past 14 fights, including 10 straight in the UFC. He hasn't fought since he won the belt by defeating Tyron Woodley via unanimous decision in March.

Covington (15-1), considered one of the most polarizing figures in the sport due to his unfiltered brand of trash talk, has won seven in a row.

UFC 245, which will take place at T-Mobile Arena, will feature three title fights. The other two are Max Holloway vs. Alexander Volkanovski for the UFC featherweight title and Amanda Nunes vs. Germaine de Randamie for the women's bantamweight title.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I'm bummed that this wasn't on the NYC card but very excited for it. Expecting Usman to be a heavy, heavy favorite.

thumper

Staff member
gonna be a fun card and I can't wait to see usman turn covington into a steaming pile of shit on the canvas
[DOUBLEPOST=1569635562,1569634373][/DOUBLEPOST]hmmm on second thought.....

between these two guys their last 8 fights were decisions. this is going to be a bore fest

Colby has 5 wins over 3 years and hasn't finished anyone. i had no idea it was that bad. no wonder nobody cares about him.

Usman has 9 wins in the UFC, 8 of them decisions. Why was I thinking this would be a barn burner?

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
Both are very tough.
Both have wins over very good fighters.
Both very good wrestling.
Haven't seen big power striking from either.

Five rounds could help Colby. His cardio is excellent.

Hope Colby puts it to Marty, gasses him out then chokes him out.

thumper

Staff member
Both are very tough.
Both have wins over very good fighters.
Both very good wrestling.
Haven't seen big power striking from either.

Five rounds could help Colby. His cardio is excellent.

Hope Colby puts it to Marty, gasses him out then chokes him out.
you're a colby fan?

Poindexter

Staff member
It's already put me to sleep. I'll definitely avoided seeing the dipshit's drivel on the run up. Great work UFC!

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
It's already put me to sleep. I'll definitely avoided seeing the dipshit's drivel on the run up. Great work UFC!
I agree with all but the last sentence. Colby earned the shot, Usman is the champ. This is the fight to make and I'm glad we didn't see Diaz/Usman or something.

EDIT: I put Colby above Masvidal because he won the interim belt and never lost it. UFC shouldn't be in a position to create that belt and then not unify.

Last edited:

1inthechamber

I'd love to see Masvidal hit Colby with a knee just he did Ben.

Usman/Colby will most likely be a snoozefest with eachother's wrestling cancelling the other out and a bunch of lame clinch stalling on the cage.

Thamob

ISYMFS
I'd love to see Masvidal hit Colby with a knee just he did Ben.

Usman/Colby will most likely be a snoozefest with eachother's wrestling cancelling the other out and a bunch of lame clinch stalling on the cage.
Do either have any punching power at all?

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Colby Covington set to stay at American Top Team despite recent feuds
Covington was speaking during an interview with Submission Radio and had the following to say:

”It wasn’t more about training anywhere else, it was more about just staying away from the distractions, the drama that’s going on at the gym. Obviously, everybody in the gym’s jealous of me,” Covington said (transcript via MMA Mania). “I’ve got a lot of haters in the world, and that’s just how the world is today.”

”So, I was deciding whether or not I just take a little break and just train behind closed doors, you know, at a private gym, just a no-name type gym and just go to American Top Team for sparring or what I was gonna do. But ultimately, Dan Lambert sat everybody down and made sure we’re on the same page and just made sure that nothing’s gonna go down on our gym floors. That’s sacred ground at American Top Team and you don’t cross those rules that Dan Lambert set forth or there will be repercussions.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest profile posts

So, who is going to vote for Kanye? :>
Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties