Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Champion Of Gender Equality, Dies At 87 (1 Viewer)

Poindexter

Staff member
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from metastatic cancer of the pancreas.

The court, in a statement, said Ginsburg died at her home in Washington surrounded by family. She was 87.

"Our nation has lost a justice of historic stature," Chief Justice John Roberts said. "We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her, a tired and resolute champion of justice."

Architect of the legal fight for women's rights in the 1970s, Ginsburg subsequently served 27 years on the nation's highest court, becoming its most prominent member. Her death will inevitably set in motion what promises to be a nasty and tumultuous political battle over who will succeed her, and it thrusts the Supreme Court vacancy into the spotlight of the presidential campaign.

Article continues after sponsor message

Just days before her death, as her strength waned, Ginsburg dictated this statement to her granddaughter Clara Spera: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

She knew what was to come. Ginsburg's death will have profound consequences for the court and the country. Inside the court, not only is the leader of the liberal wing gone, but with the court about to open a new term, the chief justice no longer holds the controlling vote in closely contested cases.

Though Roberts has a consistently conservative record in most cases, he has split from fellow conservatives in a few important ones this year, casting his vote with liberals, for instance, to protect at least temporarily the so-called DREAMers from deportation by the Trump administration, to uphold a major abortion precedent and to uphold bans on large church gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic. But with Ginsburg gone, there is no clear court majority for those outcomes.

Ct_L33T

The world lost a brilliant mind today. Very sad news.

The Supreme court is going to be stacked with an overwhelming conservative majority for decades now. FUCK.

ATJ-Lucko

Champ-Champ
Survival Pool Champion

Maine Sen. Susan Collins, who’s in a difficult reelection race in major part due to her deciding vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the court, told the New York Times earlier this month that she, in the Times’ words, “would not seat a Supreme Court justice in October,” and also that she would oppose seating a justice during the lame-duck session in the event of a transfer of power.

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who is not up for reelection this cycle, told Alaska Public Media in an interview Friday—before she knew about Ginsburg’s death—that “I would not vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee. We are 50 some days away from an election.”

That’s two on the record already.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who’s also up for reelection, is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He told the Atlantic in 2018 that “if an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait to the next election”—and then added, “hold the tape.” Here’s the tape.

Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner is up for reelection in Colorado, which is now a lean-blue state. His career may be over already. It will certainly be over if he votes to confirm a new justice before the election. Sen. Martha McSally is trailing in her race in Arizona. North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis is narrowly trailing in his. Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst is an a tight race, while Texas Sen. John Cornyn, Montana Sen. Steve Daines, Georgia Sen. David Perdue, and, well, Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell all have races they can’t sleep on. For some of them, it might be useful to enthusiastically activate their state’s Republicans despite the ferocious backlash from Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters. For others it won’t. They’ll all have to figure that out immediately.

Then there’s Utah Sen. Mitt Romney. Would he go along with a straightforward power grab that would tear the country apart? Would retiring Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest profile posts

Somedays all of the beautiful things in my life break my heart.
I'll sleep when I wake up.
LebenTysonTank wrote on Miz's profile.
Any idea how I can upload an mp4 video? I recently knocked out this 250 pound face tattooed mexican gangbanger in front of my house,and one of the neighbors recorded it.
"I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom