Joanna Jedrzejczyk will not make weight vs. Michelle Waterson, main event now in jeopardy (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Joanna Jedrzejczyk Explains Why She Turned Down Weili Zhang Fight Over 3 Times

Many MMA fans were rightfully impressed by the incredible performance displayed by Weili Zhang at UFC Shenzhen. Contrary to that statement, they also wondered how Zhang earned the title shot in the first place. Clearly, Weili had the skill to be considered as the best in the world. But, with just three fights beforehand, many thought the shot came too soon. Dana White previously said that nobody wanted to fight Zhang. Now, we’ve learned that one of those people was ex Strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk recently appeared on the Eurobash Podcast. On the show, she discussed the UFC’s previous attempts to book the match between Joanna and Zhang. She also explained why she turned down the fight on at least three occasions.

Speaking to the hosts of the show, Joanna explained her stance on Zhang. Primarily, her reasoning was that she felt like the UFC was trying to build a star in Zhang off of Johanna’s name. And, in Johanna’s opinion, the Chinese star didn’t deserve the spotlight yet.

“She’s good, but the truth is they offered me Weili Zhang three times before that fight (against Andrade vs Zhang) and the thing is, she needed me,” said Joanna to the hosts.

Joanna continued to explain her positioning.

“Okay, she’s the champ now so it might look like she never needed me to become someone. Sometimes people are like, ‘Do you know who she is now?’ Of course, I know who she is, but I fight in the Octagon, you know? I’m a professional athlete, I’m a businesswoman and I know who I am,” said Joanna.

“I don’t do fights on Twitter,” said Joanna. “If (girls) call me out, I like it because I know I am in a strong position. Why are they calling me out? Because they know I can bring them to a different level. Maybe they can be lucky and win against former UFC champion, a dominant champion, which I was. (That would help them) get better money, get better exposure. Of course, they offered me Weili Zhang, but my goal was to fight for the belt. I took my spot, now I’m fighting Waterson and then I will go for the belt. Slowly, step-by-step, I will reach my goals and my dreams,” she said.

thumper

Staff member
Former Boogey Woman said:
in Johanna’s opinion, the Chinese star didn’t deserve the spotlight yet.
Translation: I know better than to lose that badly to someone that's not known. I've used most of the excuses I could, so I better hold off.

Poindexter

Staff member
I like both here. I'd rather not see either lose. I'll be happy for the winner. Best case scenario they push each other to their respective limits.

Noise

Ruido
Both these bitches got an obnoxious personality, so it's a win-win for me but I'm hoping Jo wrecks Waterson.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Joanna Jedrzejczyk can’t make weight, putting UFC Tampa main event in jeopardy

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight champion, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, informed the promotion — over a week ago — that she will be unable to make the 115-pound weight limit for her Michelle Waterson headliner this weekend in Tampa, according to Combate, and as of this writing, the “Karate Hottie” has refused to meet her at catch weight.

As a result, the promotion is looking at several options for the ESPN+ main event.

Matchmakers have offered to send Waterson to the UFC 244 pay-per-view (PPV) event next month in New York, where she would battle former title contender Jessica Andrade, but only if a late replacement can be found to fight Jedrzejczyk in Tampa.

Angela Hill is one of the names being bandied about.

Or, the co-main event between Cub Swanson and Kron Gracie could take over headlining duties and Jedrzejczyk vs. Waterson could be shipped to a future fight card, giving the former champion more time to make weight.

Jedrzejczyk has a history of ugly weight cuts and last competed at flyweight, where she fell to longtime nemesis, Valentina Shevchenko, by way of decision. Her days at strawweight appear to be numbered, based on this week’s turn of events.

And if you’re one of those fans who’s trashing Waterson for not taking the fight at catch weight, there are a few things to consider. “Karate Hottie” is a former atomweight and competes at 115 pounds because that’s the lowest division UFC has to offer.

In addition, fighters have a right to refuse an assignment that violates their fight contract and they shouldn’t get bullied into taking a different fight just because the promotion has tickets to sell. If you’re going to be upset, be upset at Jedrzejczyk, as making weight is part of the job.
Man you'd think she has to be pretty over the limit to not be able to make the weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

Fight - Night Kattar vs IGE

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

RIP Ennio Morricone
So, who is going to vote for Kanye? :>
Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties