Henry Cejudo vs. Marlon Moraes up for UFC bantamweight title, Formiga vs. Benavidez on deck (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Henry Cejudo vs. Marlon Moraes up for UFC bantamweight title, Formiga vs. Benavidez on deck

UFC President Dana White is targeting a fight between UFC flyweight champion Henry Cejudo and No. 1 contender Marlon Moraes for the bantamweight title, with Jussier Formiga and Joseph Benavidez serving as backup in case either bantamweight falls out.

White, who sketched out the idea during the post-fight show for UFC on ESPN+ 6, didn’t mention a timeline for the proposed fights.

'They both want that fight really bad,” White said of Cejudo (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) and Moraes (22-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who’ve been jawing on Twitter since T.J. Dillashaw vacated the belt earlier this week. “It seems like a good fight to make with the whole Dillashaw thing now, and then you do (Formiga) versus Benavidez on the same card – anything goes wrong, one of them can step up and take the fight, and then the winner of that fight is the guaranteed No. 1 contender for the next (flyweight) shot.”

Reactions: S=E

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
So is Formiga/Benavidez the last big FLW fight in the UFC? I feel like the FLW deserve a sendoff, if only in live-forum-posting format.

Noise

Ruido
I like everything about these fights; solid matchmaking, glad it didn't take six fucking months to make happen once TJ popped.

Sydman

Moraes vs Cejudo is a very interesting matchup. They are almost the same size and not sure Moraes could keep it on the feet. Would like to see Moraes pull it off though. Hopefully in brutal fashion like the Sterling fight.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Henry Cejudo wants Frankie Edgar after Marlon Moraes: ‘I will shut his lights out, too’

T.J. Dillashaw’s recent drug test failure left a vacuum in the UFC bantamweight division’s title landscape. In order to fix that, company president Dana White revealed that plans are to book a fight between Henry Cejudo and Marlon Moraes for the now vacant 135-pound title.

On Monday’s episode of Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show on ESPN, both Cejudo and Moraes foresee their fight taking place at UFC 238 in June. But even with nothing finalized just yet, “The Messenger” already sent a strong verbal statement to his opponent.

“Marlon Moraes I got a message for you… If you think you’re going to be the second heart I break this year, man I hope you’re ready, brother,” Cejudo said (transcript by BJPenn.com). “I really do, man. I’m not afraid of you. I’m an Olympic champ, I defeated Demetrious Johnson, I defeated TJ Dillashaw, you think a World Series of Fighting former champ is gonna scare me?

“I’m gonna shut your lights out and I’m gonna tell you something now, I already have my next opponent in line.

That next opponent is former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, who trains with Moraes under Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Ricardo Almeida in New Jersey.

“Your boy, your coach, Frankie Edgar… I know he’s gonna be there, he can get some of Cejudo too ‘cause I will shut his lights out too,” he said. “’45 or ’35, they’ve always said Frankie Edgar can make 135-pounds, I welcome that. If the belt vacates at ’45, why not?”

The 37-year-old Edgar last saw action almost a year ago, when he defeated Cub Swanson in their rematch. He withdrew from a November bout vs. the Korean Zombie due to injury, and hasn’t been booked since then.

All three fighters — Cejudo, Moraes, and Edgar — have the same manager, Ali Abdelaziz.

UFC 238 is scheduled to take place on June 8th in Chicago. One of the confirmed fights on the card is Valentina Shevchenko’s first title defense against Jessica Eye.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
Moraes vs Cejudo is a very interesting matchup. They are almost the same size and not sure Moraes could keep it on the feet. Would like to see Moraes pull it off though. Hopefully in brutal fashion like the Sterling fight.
Moraes is definitely bigger. Moraes cut a higher percentage of his body weight to makes 135 than Cejudo did to make 125.

Henry Cejudo (124.5 to 141 = 12.8%)
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations
Moraes gained 14.5 percent back after weigh-ins, coming in 155 pounds on fight day after weighing in at 135.4
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12...recommends-move-up-in-weight-after-ufc-fresno

Sydman

Moraes is definitely bigger. Moraes cut a higher percentage of his body weight to makes 135 than Cejudo did to make 125.

Henry Cejudo (124.5 to 141 = 12.8%)
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations
Moraes gained 14.5 percent back after weigh-ins, coming in 155 pounds on fight day after weighing in at 135.4
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12...recommends-move-up-in-weight-after-ufc-fresno
Fair enough. Good to know they aren’t as close in size as I thought. I would definitly be pulling for Moraes here. Just seems like a guy I would like to see succeed.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Marlon Moraes: UFC champ Henry Cejudo has 'such a big ego,' doesn't care about flyweights
The way Marlon Moraes sees it, Henry Cejudo is full of it.

In the build-up to his January title fight against T.J. Dillashaw, Cejudo saw himself as not just the UFC’s flyweight champion. He was going to defend his title against Dillashaw and, in the process, save the division.

The former happened, with Cejudo knocking out Dillashaw in just 32 seconds at UFC on ESPN+ 1. The latter, however, is still up in the air.

For months, the fate of the 125-pound division has hung in the balance, with UFC President Dana White remaining non-committal on its long-term future while releasing a multitude of flyweights from their contracts. Cejudo (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) has continued to preach about being the division’s savior, but his next move is to meet Moraes (22-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) for the vacant bantamweight title at UFC 238.

That decision, according to Moraes, reveals Cejudo’s true character.

“Henry has such a big ego,” Moraes told MMA Junkie on Wednesday. “Everybody around him knows that. He likes everything for him. He wants to be a two-division champ. He’s not fighting for the (flyweight) division. He’s fighting for himself. We fight for ourselves. But he’s just not saying that. He’s trying to say he’s a good guy, but he’s not.”

Dillashaw’s vacating of the 135-pound title following a potential U.S. Anti-Doping Agency violation made the Moraes vs. Cejudo title fight possible. Moraes promises to be nothing other than himself when the two face off June 8 in Chicago.

Despite the two fighters sharing Ali Abdelaziz as their manager, Cejudo is another polarizing presence for Moraes. Cejudo, he said, will try to take him down and find himself in a world of trouble.

“Unfortunately, he hit the lottery,” Moraes said. “He’s next. I was looking to fight different guys – 135 pounders. But he stepped up. Hats off to him. But after the fight, he’s going to regret it.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1554424571,1554423896][/DOUBLEPOST]Report | Jimmie Rivera and Petr Yan agree to fight at UFC 238
On June 8, the UFC will return to Chicago, Illinois for UFC 238. In the card’s main event, a new bantamweight champion will be crowned as the vacant title will be fought over when flyweight champion, Henry Cejudo moves up to face Marlon Moraes.

As the UFC has been doing lately, they’ve installed back up fights or fighters in the case that the main event or title fight has an issue with one of its participants. In the UFC 238 co-main event, Valentina Shevchenko looks to defend her flyweight title against Jessica Eye. Also on the card is Joanne Calderwood facing Katlyn Chookagian. Calderwood has revealed since the fight’s announcement that she will be on standby in case something happens in the title fight.

Nothing has been said in regards to the 135-pound strap, however, but it could be implied with the next fight that’s in the works.

ESPN’s Ariel Helwani has reported that a top 10 clash between Jimmie Rivera (22-3) and Petr Yan (12-1) has been agreed to for the event.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Pedro Munhoz vs. Aljamain Sterling bantamweight bout in the works for UFC 238

A bantamweight bout between Pedro Munhoz and Aljamain Sterling is the latest addition to June’s UFC 238 lineup.

MMA Junkie verified the matchup between Munhoz (18-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) and Sterling (17-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) has been agreed upon with a person close to the situation following an initial report from ESPN.com. The person requested anonymity because the UFC has

UFC 238 takes place June 8 at United Center in Chicago. The main card aires on pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN and UFC Fight Pass.

Munhoz, No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie MMA bantamweight rankings, will attempt to build further momentum on a three-fight winning streak that has been highlighted by a first-round knockoutof ex-champ Cody Garbrandt at UFC 235 in March.

No. 4-ranked Sterling, meanwhile, is riding a three-fight winning streak of his own. His most recent performance was arguably the finest of his career, with “The Funk Master” picking up aunanimous decision victory over Jimmie Rivera at UFC on ESPN 1 in February.
The UFC 238 lineup now includes:
  • Henry Cejudo vs. Marlon Moraes – for vacant bantamweight title
  • Champ Valentina Shevchenko vs. Jessica Eye – for women’s flyweight title
  • Nina Ansaroff vs. Tatiana Suarez
  • Katlyn Chookagian vs. Joanne Calderwood
  • Blagoy Ivanov vs. Tai Tuivasa
  • Calvin Kattar vs. Ricardo Lamas
  • Jimmie Rivera vs. Petr Yan
  • Pedro Munhoz vs. Aljamain Sterling

Sydman

Actually like a good bit of those fights. That being said this PPV will do terrible numbers. Such a shame too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel