Headphones

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
That’s a deal. Any experience with them?
No Sir, only that they're endorsed by Zeos and Zeos has yet to steer me wrong on bang-for-buck audio which includes:

Koss Kph30i
BLON-BL03
Tin T2
Xduoo Link
iFi Zen DAC

For mid to high-end I go my own way but for value purchasing.. ZReviews is my anti-drug:

Last edited:

ILJO

Site Donor
I've been using the Sony MDR 7506. I've gone through a few pairs over the years, and I intend to stick with them. Great quality, seems to be somewhat of a gold standard in over the ear studio quality headphones. Relatively cheap at 100 bucks too. Highly recommend.

I just bought the Sennheiser Momentum True wireless 2's. I'm not a fan of in-ear headphones, but I need some for work. They're supposed to be top of the line for in-ear's, so I'm pretty excited to try them out.
Post automatically merged:

Whoops, didn't see you were asking for wireless.

Disregard.

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Meh, headphones is headphones, whether over ear, on-ear, in-ear, wired, wireless, or truly wireless. So long as you ain't talking complicated stereo speaker setups with Visio flowcharts you're fine.

I've heard good things and not so good things about the Momentum 2 in-ears. All I know is I like the case. I don't think you have to spend 200 dollars for great TWS earbuds. For 200 I'd go for the Sony ANC ones with the understanding that, like a Mogwai, do not get them wet. The combination of the noise canceling and LDAC would warrant the cost.

For 100 bucks or so I'd probably recommend the 1MORE Stylish because it seems well built, super stable connection, great battery life, and many folks attest to the quality of sound. For Mics, Apple or Samsung. Paying extra for the Jabbra's just doesn't make sense to me.

Ultimately TWS is the hardest variant to rate because everyone's inner ears are going to be different as well as all the potential sources you can have with Bluetooth. Getting quality mics for sub 100-130 bucks seems very difficult. Great sound is not.

But let us know how they are. Sennheiser tends to deliver on sound in terms of clarity, detail, and staging so I'm curious if they sound very in-ear or more spacious.

ILJO

Site Donor
From my research, I think they're considered top of the line in terms of audio quality for music (which is the main thing I intend to use them for ).

All the negatives I've read have been about the mic/phone calls, and audio delay for watching videos (0.3 seconds or some such). I did a little research and considered some other options, but for my needs (strictly listening to music while working), I think I chose the right headphones.

I had the 1more (triple drive, I think) wired headphones, and I absolutely loved them. I'd still be using it but I upgraded my phone and now have the usb audio jack thingy, so I figured I'd switch to wireless.

I'll let you know how they are, but I think I chose the right headphones for my needs.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I can link reviews (only if you want) that are more critical of the features and sound.. but that's within the context of their price point. If I'm not mistaken these are $300 dollars yes? For 300 dollars the expectation would be things like:

Wireless charging
Dual connections
Best-in-class ANC
Superior sound staging
Superior comfort

I'm not saying it doesn't have the sound or comfort, I don't have experience with the current or former unit. But what put me off from considering them was reports of their comfort since they're a very large in-ear device. My ears are difficult to fit with TWS devices having now used 5 separate devices. Jesus is that right? Yeah it is... fuck me. The wireless charging, waterproofing, and ANC is a bit negotiable for me personally but that depends again on the price point. The Sony TWS (WH-1000 or equivalent) are considered to have best in-class ANC and the LDAC codec but only if you're using Android. I don't believe LDAC does fuckall on a Mac and don't know how it works on Windows. But that's a 100 dollar less price point.

Anyway for SOUND ONLY I think there are a ton of cost-to-performance options from 50 to 150 dollars. So I'm curious if these end up blowing your mind when you hear them. Some people who got them commented that they have unrivaled sound staging which is something that it's difficult to put a price tag on. If you have something that you insert in your ear canal, is comfortable, and images like a pair of over-ear headphones that's a pretty huge technical accomplishment. It may warrant the cost regardless of the other features. Headphones proper are great but can be inconvenient.

But once anything creeps to the 200 dollar mark and is small enough for me to swallow, my expectations grow exponentially. I'm sort of giving up on TWS outside of the Buds+ which I use for calls. For music they suck quite frankly but that's relative to the 150 I payed for them. I don't love charge case dependency and they're so fucking fickle on fit. That's more so to do with my hears being asymmetrically shaped than anything else. I'm just tired of trying to find perfect ear tips to fit every TWS I own to get a proper seal so I can enjoy them as intended.

ILJO

Site Donor
I can link reviews (only if you want) that are more critical of the features and sound.. but that's within the context of their price point. If I'm not mistaken these are $300 dollars yes? For 300 dollars the expectation would be things like:

Wireless charging
Dual connections
Best-in-class ANC
Superior sound staging
Superior comfort

I'm not saying it doesn't have the sound or comfort, I don't have experience with the current or former unit. But what put me off from considering them was reports of their comfort since they're a very large in-ear device. My ears are difficult to fit with TWS devices having now used 5 separate devices. Jesus is that right? Yeah it is... fuck me. The wireless charging, waterproofing, and ANC is a bit negotiable for me personally but that depends again on the price point. The Sony TWS (WH-1000 or equivalent) are considered to have best in-class ANC and the LDAC codec but only if you're using Android. I don't believe LDAC does fuckall on a Mac and don't know how it works on Windows. But that's a 100 dollar less price point.

Anyway for SOUND ONLY I think there are a ton of cost-to-performance options from 50 to 150 dollars. So I'm curious if these end up blowing your mind when you hear them. Some people who got them commented that they have unrivaled sound staging which is something that it's difficult to put a price tag on. If you have something that you insert in your ear canal, is comfortable, and images like a pair of over-ear headphones that's a pretty huge technical accomplishment. It may warrant the cost regardless of the other features. Headphones proper are great but can be inconvenient.

But once anything creeps to the 200 dollar mark and is small enough for me to swallow, my expectations grow exponentially. I'm sort of giving up on TWS outside of the Buds+ which I use for calls. For music they suck quite frankly but that's relative to the 150 I payed for them. I don't love charge case dependency and they're so fucking fickle on fit. That's more so to do with my hears being asymmetrically shaped than anything else. I'm just tired of trying to find perfect ear tips to fit every TWS I own to get a proper seal so I can enjoy them as intended.
Yeah, they're 300 bucks. I wasn't necessarily looking for the best bang-for-buck value. I just want to enjoy the best sound. I don't mind dropping the money.

It's not too late for me to return them though. Seems like you are pretty well informed. If you have better suggestion for me, let me know.

How comfortable these are for me during a 10 hour shift will be a big factor though. And I like that I can switch between ANC and transparent hearing (because I do need to be able to hear shit and interact with others around me as well).

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
That's the biggest problem with TWS is that comfort is pretty much impossible to predict. I almost feel like over-ear ANC would be the way to go for that price point. I think you'd get more from the Sennheiser Momentum 3s (over-ear) than the TWS variant.

But if in-ear is what you want/need then I'm not about to dissuade you given what you want the best possible sound. To me the biggest thing with an in-ear is comfort and seal. If they sound great but hurt my ear, what the fuck is the point? If they're comfortable but they're sucking into my ear giving me that tunnel sound.. then I'm constantly trying to swap tips to find the best overall solution to getting a perfect seal. I can't experience the full engineering of the unit if I can't get them to seal in my ear. That's the point of an in-ear unit.

I'll be honest with you I think to a degree it almost makes more sense to invest in the Fiio BTR5 and turn a wired headset into a wired Bluetooth headset. You connect the headset to the Fiio then the Fiio connects to your phone or computer. I'm going to say that the BLON-BL03s would annihilate any TWS on the market for sound and they're 40 bucks. If you haven't fucked with IEMs before, the difference between one of those and a Bluetooth headset would be like the difference between a DVD on a cathode TV and a blue-ray on a 4k.

So if you want sound quality and in-ear, making an IEM portable would be my recommendation.

For competition to the Sennheiser Momentum 2s you could consider the Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro at 150, the Sony WF-1000mx3 which usually float around 200, and the 1More ANCs for 170ish? For a lot less money you could look at the Fiil T1Xs which I own and which have incredible sound for 50 bucks. There's also the Sabbat E12 Ultras which people have raved about for their volume and sound but I haven't tried personally. And in that same boat is the Lypertek Tevi which like the Sabbat, people rave about for sound. Both are in the 70-80 dollar range.

But again, if you haven't fucked with IEMs you don't know what you're missing if you want sound. I know, the convenience and styling of TWS devices is a huge deal. And you can get really impressive sound from them. It's just not on par with something like an IEM. And if you want recommendations for IEMs..

I got you.

ILJO

Site Donor
That's the biggest problem with TWS is that comfort is pretty much impossible to predict. I almost feel like over-ear ANC would be the way to go for that price point. I think you'd get more from the Sennheiser Momentum 3s (over-ear) than the TWS variant.

But if in-ear is what you want/need then I'm not about to dissuade you given what you want the best possible sound. To me the biggest thing with an in-ear is comfort and seal. If they sound great but hurt my ear, what the fuck is the point? If they're comfortable but they're sucking into my ear giving me that tunnel sound.. then I'm constantly trying to swap tips to find the best overall solution to getting a perfect seal. I can't experience the full engineering of the unit if I can't get them to seal in my ear. That's the point of an in-ear unit.

I'll be honest with you I think to a degree it almost makes more sense to invest in the Fiio BTR5 and turn a wired headset into a wired Bluetooth headset. You connect the headset to the Fiio then the Fiio connects to your phone or computer. I'm going to say that the BLON-BL03s would annihilate any TWS on the market for sound and they're 40 bucks. If you haven't fucked with IEMs before, the difference between one of those and a Bluetooth headset would be like the difference between a DVD on a cathode TV and a blue-ray on a 4k.

So if you want sound quality and in-ear, making an IEM portable would be my recommendation.

For competition to the Sennheiser Momentum 2s you could consider the Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro at 150, the Sony WF-1000mx3 which usually float around 200, and the 1More ANCs for 170ish? For a lot less money you could look at the Fiil T1Xs which I own and which have incredible sound for 50 bucks. There's also the Sabbat E12 Ultras which people have raved about for their volume and sound but I haven't tried personally. And in that same boat is the Lypertek Tevi which like the Sabbat, people rave about for sound. Both are in the 70-80 dollar range.

But again, if you haven't fucked with IEMs you don't know what you're missing if you want sound. I know, the convenience and styling of TWS devices is a huge deal. And you can get really impressive sound from them. It's just not on par with something like an IEM. And if you want recommendations for IEMs..

I got you.
You just blew my mind a bit. Im gonna have to look into this when I'm a little more sober.

But feel free to throw out some recommends.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
It's pretty hard not to recommend the BLON-BL03 for everything music. They're clean, bass-y, solid mids, clear highs, and 38 bucks. I would recommend upgrading the cable but that's once you get them and like them. BLON just released the BL05 but it's a bit divisive. Seems like the BL03 is still the sure bet.

I like Tin HiFi as well but the T2s aren't for everyone. They're not a bass-forward IEM, they're a relaxed sound with excellent sound staging. Great for vocals, media, and classical. Tin just released the T2 Plus, this is NOT the same as the T2 pro. The Plus is getting solid reviews as something more balanced than the BLON for people who want more bass but not as much as the BL03.

My personal favorites are the KZ ZSX Terminators. If you go back a page I had a write up on them and link to Amazon. For 60 bucks you get 12 drivers. The only issue is whether or not they'll fit you comfortably.

Right now e'rybody is bout the Moondrop Starfields. I'm done buying IEMs but were I starting out, they would be where I'd start. Too many people have complimented the sound and build.

There's a whoooooole rabbit hole of Chi-Fi IEMs coming out of China. Since all this shit is made in China anyway, what seems to happen is these small audio companies piggy back on the production of the high-end IEMs with similar designs and engineering. They don't always get the reproduction correct but with so many entrants if 1 out a 1000 lands then you're looking at 10-30 quality IEMs in the 30 to 70 dollar range that compete with shit 2, 3, and 400 dollars.

Fiio has a line of IEMs, the FAs and FHs, but as well rated and liked as they are it's hard to justify the cost when you can find that sound at a lower price point. My guide through Chi-Fi has been Zplot. I highly recommend his channel if you don't want to waste money. Not everything he features will be available in through US sellers but you could still use Ali Express. Here's a sample video:

With IEMs you're going to get a lot more detail from your music because of the increased sensitivity. It doesn't always pay to spend more money because that could very well ruin the listening experience. IEMs are generally intended for reference, whether for a musician or engineer but many are "tuned" for music listening.

One of my favorites is the Shouer Tapes but they're weird. Out of everything I own, including my 900 dollar Elegias, they do sub-bass the best. But the highs are weird because they're actually using some sort of tiny Electrostatic driver. So the highs are very thin sounding. Even with an EQ, a DAC, and amp, I haven't been able to round out the highs. But I'm addicted to that sub-bass. Method Man's Tical which is a very sub-bass heavy album sounds incredible on them.

Another deep, rich sounding IEM are the Ikko OH-10s. Do they justify being 180 bucks? Don't know, don't own them. They are also apparently a very heavy earpiece. The sound however stands out in a sea of options among reviewers though.

With reviews you need to understand the reviewers taste. I love Super Reviews but he trends more towards treble and clarity than bass and mids. If you know this you can guess whether a device is for you based on what is or isn't emphasized.

There are a million fucking options with IEMs. I prefer ones that are conducive to enjoying music so the ZSXs are as extreme as I'll go with drivers and tuning. You could absolutely use them for reference but they are very conducive to an EQ. If you don't want to fuck with any of that both the BLONs and Tins are good to go out of the box.

I would avoid the Tin T2 pro, T3s, and P1s unless you want sharp, borderline siblant, treble.

I'd also avoid BA-only IEMs. Single dynamic is fine. Hybrid dynamic and BA is also fine. Once BAs start stacking though make sure the shit isn't for reference. If you have a very analytical IEM your music library will be exposed. You'll discover which artists have shitty recordings fast.

Last edited:

ILJO

Site Donor
It's pretty hard not to recommend the BLON-BL03 for everything music. They're clean, bass-y, solid mids, clear highs, and 38 bucks. I would recommend upgrading the cable but that's once you get them and like them. BLON just released the BL05 but it's a bit divisive. Seems like the BL03 is still the sure bet.

I like Tin HiFi as well but the T2s aren't for everyone. They're not a bass-forward IEM, they're a relaxed sound with excellent sound staging. Great for vocals, media, and classical. Tin just released the T2 Plus, this is NOT the same as the T2 pro. The Plus is getting solid reviews as something more balanced than the BLON for people who want more bass but not as much as the BL03.

My personal favorites are the KZ ZSX Terminators. If you go back a page I had a write up on them and link to Amazon. For 60 bucks you get 12 drivers. The only issue is whether or not they'll fit you comfortably.

Right now e'rybody is bout the Moondrop Starfields. I'm done buying IEMs but were I starting out, they would be where I'd start. Too many people have complimented the sound and build.

There's a whoooooole rabbit hole of Chi-Fi IEMs coming out of China. Since all this shit is made in China anyway, what seems to happen is these small audio companies piggy back on the production of the high-end IEMs with similar designs and engineering. They don't always get the reproduction correct but with so many entrants if 1 out a 1000 lands then you're looking at 10-30 quality IEMs in the 30 to 70 dollar range that compete with shit 2, 3, and 400 dollars.

Fiio has a line of IEMs, the FAs and FHs, but as well rated and liked as they are it's hard to justify the cost when you can find that sound at a lower price point. My guide through Chi-Fi has been Zplot. I highly recommend his channel if you don't want to waste money. Not everything he features will be available in through US sellers but you could still use Ali Express. Here's a sample video:

With IEMs you're going to get a lot more detail from your music because of the increased sensitivity. It doesn't always pay to spend more money because that could very well ruin the listening experience. IEMs are generally intended for reference, whether for a musician or engineer but many are "tuned" for music listening.

One of my favorites is the Shouer Tapes but they're weird. Out of everything I own, including my 900 dollar Elegias, they do sub-bass the best. But the highs are weird because they're actually using some sort of tiny Electrostatic driver. So the highs are very thin sounding. Even with an EQ, a DAC, and amp, I haven't been able to round out the highs. But I'm addicted to that sub-bass. Method Man's Tical which is a very sub-bass heavy album sounds incredible on them.

Another deep, rich sounding IEM are the Ikko OH-10s. Do they justify being 180 bucks? Don't know, don't own them. They are also apparently a very heavy earpiece. The sound however stands out in a sea of options among reviewers though.

With reviews you need to understand the reviewers taste. I love Super Reviews but he trends more towards treble and clarity than bass and mids. If you know this you can guess whether a device is for you based on what is or isn't emphasized.

There are a million fucking options with IEMs. I prefer ones that are conducive to enjoying music so the ZSXs are as extreme as I'll go with drivers and tuning. You could absolutely use them for reference but they are very conducive to an EQ. If you don't want to fuck with any of that both the BLONs and Tins are good to go out of the box.

I would avoid the Tin T2 pro, T3s, and P1s unless you want sharp, borderline siblant, treble.

I'd also avoid BA-only IEMs. Single dynamic is fine. Hybrid dynamic and BA is also fine. Once BAs start stacking though make sure the shit isn't for reference. If you have a very analytical IEM your music library will be exposed. You'll discover which artists have shitty recordings fast.
Mmk.. that's a lot to process. Im starting to look into these moondrops, but let me ask you this - all these IEMs are wired, yeah? I think I saw some mention of wireless on some, but does that effect your recommendations and quality of the audio?

The problem I'm having right now is that I use my phone to listen to music (at work), and my phone has the USB type audio jack. The adapter is a bit inconvenient so I just switched to wireless (hence the sennheiser purchase).

Speaking of which, I've been giving these a go, and at first I was a little underimpressed but after fucking with the eq a bit (I trend more toward treble and clarity too, because that's how you fucking rock bitch) Im enjoying them. Can't say I have much frame of reference, but they seem pretty dope. For now I'm just trying to keep them in for long periods to gauge comfort.

Are there IEMs (or good headphones in general) with that type of USB connection for phones? Or is it all just the standard audio jack? Is the USB type worse for audio quality? (that's my understanding)

Is it even worth it if I'm using my phone as my audio source?

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Yeah so it is a lot of information to dump, let me streamline everything by saying: you have options.

Having no headphone jack is not a deal breaker but as you mention, using a dongle can sometimes piss people off. However dongles have advantages, as do wires, but before getting to ANY of that let me stay on topic of IEM and Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is inherently lossy music. Even if your source is a phone or a computer or a streamer and even if one or all of those devices is streaming HD/Hi-Res audio. Bluetooth = lossy not lossless. This doesn't always mean "worse sound" because many Bluetooth devices come with built in DACs and Amps to process the sound. Others have DSP correction to filter out noise and like the Momentum 2s, ANC to perform technical processing magic to make the sound more pleasing without a wire.

Enter Bluetooth transmitters/receivers. So one way you can sort of get the best of both worlds is by connecting a wired headset into one of these BTR devices. This device acts like an intermediary between your headset and phone. It can transmit in multiple Bluetooth codec formats as well. It also doubles as a DAC and amp to supplement for the lack on one on a phone without a headphone jack.

So you could pop your phone in to charge, connect to your Bluetooth TR, connect that to your phone, connect anything with a 3.5 mm to the BTR and have pretty much everything.

Or

You could invest in a proper Dongle DAC for your phone (depending on your brand I can recommend several). Essentially an external sound card and amp that will sound process and amplify for you.

Or

You can stick with a TWS device which is the most convenient and streamline solution.

Nothing I own that is Bluetooth rivals my IEMs for pure sound quality. My Focal Listens were 240 dollars, they're Bluetooth 4.1 or 2 I think, and use AptX as their codec. They sound very good, very smooth over Bluetooth without question. They have a 3.5 mm jack to be used that was as well and when I feed them power they also sound very good.

But the BLON-BL03s are 38 dollars. And they sound better. They just do. The difference being the Focals are solid plastic over-ear headphone that can switch between BT or wired and the BLONs have to go in my ear holes.

So we can take the 240 for the Focals and subtract the 40 bucks the BLONs cost leaving me with 200 dollars to see how I can make the BLONs as usable as the Focals. Well, the FIIO BTR5 is a about 108 dollars. A replacement cable is 20 bucks. New tips 15. So when all is said and the done the BLONs are: 40+110+20+15 = 185 yes?

$185 dollars gets me better sound quality, a better DAC and Amp, and any Bluetooth codec I want provided it's compatible with my phone. Meaning you can play/stream LDAC if your phone supports it WITHOUT having a Sony device (it's their codec).

That's fucking cray yo. The downside is you have to do in-ear. However in-ear that isn't TWS gives you MORE options when it comes to comfort. This is because with TWS devices you can only use certain tips otherwise you compromise the charging of the devices. If the tips are too long or fat the device may not make contact with the port. And I'm telling you bro.. you haven't lived till you've tested like 30 pairs of tips and only stopped when you realized it was 5:00 in the morning and you started testing the afternoon prior.

Anyway - there's 0 wrong with TWS devices. But for me, personally, I don't see that the 200+ models really justify their cost. The 150 and sub ABSOLUTELY do. But if I have 300 to spend I'm going to get over ear BT ANC or I'm just going to get the BTR5 and use that with any fucking thing I want. The only reason I don't own the BTR5 now is because my phone has a headphone jack with Dolby audio (Samsung s10).

IEMs are my favorite in-ear devices. They can't match the sound staging of over ear headphones but headphones cannot give you the detail retrieval or clarity of an IEM. The best thing about IEMs is the variety and affordability. You have a ton of sound options at your disposal for the cost of (borrowing from Zeos) Chinese food for two people.

ILJO

Site Donor
Yeah so it is a lot of information to dump, let me streamline everything by saying: you have options.

Having no headphone jack is not a deal breaker but as you mention, using a dongle can sometimes piss people off. However dongles have advantages, as do wires, but before getting to ANY of that let me stay on topic of IEM and Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is inherently lossy music. Even if your source is a phone or a computer or a streamer and even if one or all of those devices is streaming HD/Hi-Res audio. Bluetooth = lossy not lossless. This doesn't always mean "worse sound" because many Bluetooth devices come with built in DACs and Amps to process the sound. Others have DSP correction to filter out noise and like the Momentum 2s, ANC to perform technical processing magic to make the sound more pleasing without a wire.

Enter Bluetooth transmitters/receivers. So one way you can sort of get the best of both worlds is by connecting a wired headset into one of these BTR devices. This device acts like an intermediary between your headset and phone. It can transmit in multiple Bluetooth codec formats as well. It also doubles as a DAC and amp to supplement for the lack on one on a phone without a headphone jack.

So you could pop your phone in to charge, connect to your Bluetooth TR, connect that to your phone, connect anything with a 3.5 mm to the BTR and have pretty much everything.

Or

You could invest in a proper Dongle DAC for your phone (depending on your brand I can recommend several). Essentially an external sound card and amp that will sound process and amplify for you.

Or

You can stick with a TWS device which is the most convenient and streamline solution.

Nothing I own that is Bluetooth rivals my IEMs for pure sound quality. My Focal Listens were 240 dollars, they're Bluetooth 4.1 or 2 I think, and use AptX as their codec. They sound very good, very smooth over Bluetooth without question. They have a 3.5 mm jack to be used that was as well and when I feed them power they also sound very good.

But the BLON-BL03s are 38 dollars. And they sound better. They just do. The difference being the Focals are solid plastic over-ear headphone that can switch between BT or wired and the BLONs have to go in my ear holes.

So we can take the 240 for the Focals and subtract the 40 bucks the BLONs cost leaving me with 200 dollars to see how I can make the BLONs as usable as the Focals. Well, the FIIO BTR5 is a about 108 dollars. A replacement cable is 20 bucks. New tips 15. So when all is said and the done the BLONs are: 40+110+20+15 = 185 yes?

$185 dollars gets me better sound quality, a better DAC and Amp, and any Bluetooth codec I want provided it's compatible with my phone. Meaning you can play/stream LDAC if your phone supports it WITHOUT having a Sony device (it's their codec).

That's fucking cray yo. The downside is you have to do in-ear. However in-ear that isn't TWS gives you MORE options when it comes to comfort. This is because with TWS devices you can only use certain tips otherwise you compromise the charging of the devices. If the tips are too long or fat the device may not make contact with the port. And I'm telling you bro.. you haven't lived till you've tested like 30 pairs of tips and only stopped when you realized it was 5:00 in the morning and you started testing the afternoon prior.

Anyway - there's 0 wrong with TWS devices. But for me, personally, I don't see that the 200+ models really justify their cost. The 150 and sub ABSOLUTELY do. But if I have 300 to spend I'm going to get over ear BT ANC or I'm just going to get the BTR5 and use that with any fucking thing I want. The only reason I don't own the BTR5 now is because my phone has a headphone jack with Dolby audio (Samsung s10).

IEMs are my favorite in-ear devices. They can't match the sound staging of over ear headphones but headphones cannot give you the detail retrieval or clarity of an IEM. The best thing about IEMs is the variety and affordability. You have a ton of sound options at your disposal for the cost of (borrowing from Zeos) Chinese food for two people.
Jesus. Im getting more confused as we go lol.

I will say that the dongle doohicky and the btr don't appear to be good options for my specific needs at work (having to keep my phone concealed)

I'll probably just stick with the simpler option, although I will say that after a couple hours, these are starting to feel a little less comfortable, which is a bit of a bummer, but it's not too bad.

As for home use, I'm now considering getting wireless over the ear headphones (over the ear is simply my preference). My sony mdr 7506's have served me well for many years, but walking around testing these wireless Sennheisers all day has shown me the light, so to speak, in terms of the convenience of wireless.

So to switch things up a bit, for me specifically (valuing treble/clarity and willing to cough up for high quality/high end shit), what would you recommend for wireless over the ears?

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Sony WH1000
Bowers and Wilkins PX7
Sennheiser Momentum 3
Focal Listen
1More Trident or Triple Driver

Sonys have to make the list for having the best ANC, the best app, and the LDAC codec. The sound signature is going to be bass heavy but the EQ app would allow you to correct that and tune them how you like. They're universally considered very comfortable and durable with excellent connectivity and battery life. It's impossible not to recommend them for this usage scenario. The Focals have no ANC but have plenty of passive noise canceling. No ANC also prevents the sound from sounding tunneled or vacuum pressured. However I wasn't a big fan of the pads so I swapped them. For 20 bucks I can recommend cheap and excellent pad swaps.

Sound signature-wise I think Bowers and Wlikins, Sennheiser, and Focal will meet your needs out of the box. I'd probably lean towards the PX7s as my #1 recommendation based on what you've stipulated.

Links
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony WH-1000: www.amazon.com/Sony-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-WH1000XM3/dp/B07G4MNFS1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3L24PWTZNJ3MU&dchild=1&keywords=sony+wh-1000xm3&qid=1594616118&s=electronics&sprefix=sony+%2Celectronics%2C164&sr=1-3

1More: www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Comfortable-Tangle-Free-Smartphones/dp/B0798TVDVJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2D4KGHTWII7YB&dchild=1&keywords=1more+triple+driver&qid=1594616571&s=electronics&sprefix=1more+t%2Celectronics%2C150&sr=1-5

Focal Listens: www.amazon.com/Focal-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B073X5RTJL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PX9QY7OWDWSW&dchild=1&keywords=focal+listen+wireless&qid=1594616595&s=electronics&sprefix=focal+listen%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

Bowers and Wilkins PX7s: www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Bluetooth-Headphone-Cancelling/dp/B07WK5XT8T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=UUZO4KZF42AN&dchild=1&keywords=bowers+and+wilkins+px7&qid=1594616620&s=electronics&sprefix=bowers%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

Sennheiser Momentum 3s: www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Cancelling-Headphones-Functionality/dp/B07VW98ZKG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VJ4YJ2H11XQQ&dchild=1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+3+wireless&qid=1594616642&s=electronics&sprefix=senn%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

For home listening maybe consider picking up a pair of Sennheiser 6xx from Mass Drop. I have a link to them a few pages back. Sounds like they'd be right up your alley. But you're going to need an amp. You could maybe add one of the Bang and Oulfsens to the list but I've read mixed things about them. They're confusing trying to sort through their models, I have a feeling they're overpriced. But they fit along the same clarity/neutral/clear sound signature.

ILJO

Site Donor
Sony WH1000
Bowers and Wilkins PX7
Sennheiser Momentum 3
Focal Listen
1More Trident or Triple Driver

Sonys have to make the list for having the best ANC, the best app, and the LDAC codec. The sound signature is going to be bass heavy but the EQ app would allow you to correct that and tune them how you like. They're universally considered very comfortable and durable with excellent connectivity and battery life. It's impossible not to recommend them for this usage scenario. The Focals have no ANC but have plenty of passive noise canceling. No ANC also prevents the sound from sounding tunneled or vacuum pressured. However I wasn't a big fan of the pads so I swapped them. For 20 bucks I can recommend cheap and excellent pad swaps.

Sound signature-wise I think Bowers and Wlikins, Sennheiser, and Focal will meet your needs out of the box. I'd probably lean towards the PX7s as my #1 recommendation based on what you've stipulated.

Links
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony WH-1000: www.amazon.com/Sony-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-WH1000XM3/dp/B07G4MNFS1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3L24PWTZNJ3MU&dchild=1&keywords=sony+wh-1000xm3&qid=1594616118&s=electronics&sprefix=sony+%2Celectronics%2C164&sr=1-3

1More: www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Comfortable-Tangle-Free-Smartphones/dp/B0798TVDVJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2D4KGHTWII7YB&dchild=1&keywords=1more+triple+driver&qid=1594616571&s=electronics&sprefix=1more+t%2Celectronics%2C150&sr=1-5

Focal Listens: www.amazon.com/Focal-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B073X5RTJL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PX9QY7OWDWSW&dchild=1&keywords=focal+listen+wireless&qid=1594616595&s=electronics&sprefix=focal+listen%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

Bowers and Wilkins PX7s: www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Bluetooth-Headphone-Cancelling/dp/B07WK5XT8T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=UUZO4KZF42AN&dchild=1&keywords=bowers+and+wilkins+px7&qid=1594616620&s=electronics&sprefix=bowers%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

Sennheiser Momentum 3s: www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Cancelling-Headphones-Functionality/dp/B07VW98ZKG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VJ4YJ2H11XQQ&dchild=1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+3+wireless&qid=1594616642&s=electronics&sprefix=senn%2Celectronics%2C147&sr=1-3

For home listening maybe consider picking up a pair of Sennheiser 6xx from Mass Drop. I have a link to them a few pages back. Sounds like they'd be right up your alley. But you're going to need an amp. You could maybe add one of the Bang and Oulfsens to the list but I've read mixed things about them. They're confusing trying to sort through their models, I have a feeling they're overpriced. But they fit along the same clarity/neutral/clear sound signature.
Thanks a lot dude! I appreciate all the info. I'll look into those and try to pick one out.

Those 6xx's look interesting. Wired, yes? I may have to get them anyway...

Also as far as ANC goes, I dont think I really need that, especially if it causes any kind of negative impact on the sound...... so maybe I'm better off with those Focals? I don't know, I'll look into it

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Just because a headphone has ANC doesn't mean you have to have it on. I would say consider it before making a decision.

I do like the Focals a lot, but I feel like they're a touch bright out of the box. And while my head is huge my ears are not, and the Focal pads barely fit over mine. Which sucks because I really liked the feel of the pads and the sound insulation.

I ended up using Brainwavz with them. I got their angled pads (turquoise) which are thicker on one half and thinner on the other. Fit like a glove, super plush, and insulated the sound nicely.

Check out this video though:

I didn't include the Bose 700s because too many reviewers I respect were disappointed in their value for dollar. They're much more recommendable if you need ANC for phone calls, and not for their sound or their apparently shitty app.

Oh and the 6xx are wired and open-back, meaning they vent through the back of the headphone and do not insulate sound. You'll need power to "drive" them so you'd be looking at investing in a desktop amplifier depending on what your source is.

The HD 600 series is legendary though. The 6xxs kinda of meld the best of the 600 line together into one price friendly package.

Last edited:

Poindexter

Staff member
I should have them by Monday and I'll be sure to post my thoughts. I'm trying to get a full collection of all the "sleeper" headphones.
I'm torn between these and the $279 Sony's. My financial partner here says I should just spend the money for Bose. My concern is having something that sounds good and that will have some amount of durability. I want the bluetooth, regardless.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I'm torn between these and the $279 Sony's. My financial partner here says I should just spend the money for Bose. My concern is having something that sounds good and that will have some amount of durability. I want the bluetooth, regardless.
There's dozens of comparison videos between the two and everything I've digested points me towards the Sonys unless you want the best possible mics for calls.

Here's one of my most trusted source for everyday or "daily driver" usage on the Bose:

Poindexter

Staff member
There's dozens of comparison videos between the two and everything I've digested points me towards the Sonys unless you want the best possible mics for calls.
Cool, I'll likely get them, unless the Marshalls turn out to be stunning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest profile posts

Battalion Five raise your hands. You are the all important first attack wave, code named: Operation Human Shield!
An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye.
If 2020 was a math problem: if you're going down river at 2MPH and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?
4-5 Playoff games a day <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom