Headphones

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
That Apple ecosystem has me hooked. I want some of the Google ones that translate spoken language. I may go with those.

Poindexter

Staff member
I think Beats emphasize the bass at the cost of the detail and control but I haven't heard any of the new generation models. They have suspect build quality for their over ears in comparison to their cost from what I understand. You're buying them for style and then for Apple pairing second before sound or build quality. I can't rag on Beats because my only experience with them was pre-Apple.

Bose though.. Bose has kind of lost their way a bit for me. Their sound signature was suppose to bring a more open and acoustic experience to music but as time has gone on their sound signature seems to have tinniness or hollowness combined with a flat tune that's not neutral, it's flat. Bose by most people standards make very comfortable headphones with great noise cancelling.. however their software seems to be a problem. As is their lack of support for high fidelity bluetooth streaming like AptX. They seem to have been usurped by Sony's WH1000s but the Sony sound while clean.. is muddled in bass.

So out of Beats, Bose, and Sony, I'd take the Sony's because of their overall comfort, build quality, and if I had to live with a sound, I'd rather the dynamics of Sony and EQ what I don't like out. Plus Sony has caught up to Bose with the ANC, but Bose has everyone beat for overall mic quality.

I still wouldn't shell out for a pair of 700s, I'd stick with the Quiet Comfort if I had to go with Bose. Beats I would avoid all together.

But honestly I think I'd go with TaoTronics over Bose.
Post automatically merged:

I bought another pair of TWS earphones but this time they're for the wife. I got her the Votomy V-22s. For 50 bucks you get:

- 7 to 8 hours per earbuds
- 100+ hours of charge time from the case
- independent usage (use the left or right solo)
- waterproofing (IPX 7 rating I believe)
- full touch controls including volume

I figured since she's working from home she can use them for calls, meetings, and workouts. I've only listened to them briefly but I will say they have impressive soundstaging. To the degree I was not expecting. And they're a very comfortable fit though they do not have securing hooks. That's something to consider if you were planning on using them for CrossFit or extremely passionate homosexual sex with several men at a time.

Not sure I could recommend them for the latter. I'd test it myself but I'm a clam-man.

Anyway.. consider this a solid value proposition alert from me.
Which would you get over the other: the Focal or the Sonys?

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Which would you get over the other: the Focal or the Sonys?
Depends if you need the ANC. I'm not taking any closed back over the Focals. Only thing I can knock them for is the clamp pressure because I wear glasses but that sound signature is unbeatable.

If you need to block outside sound however then the Sonys are the way to go. You'll just have to EQ the sound a bit with their app if they're too bassy.
Post automatically merged:

That Apple ecosystem has me hooked. I want some of the Google ones that translate spoken language. I may go with those.
I like Apple's mics, I think I'd prefer the Power Beats Pro to the Air Pods form factor. Same sound quality, better battery life, and to me the mics sound better. But you're paying for style over substance. If you're spending that kind of money I think the 1More ANC are the better buy but I'd take the Power Beats, hooks and all, over the Air Pods.

The Sennheiser Momentums are up there as well.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
So there's one other thing I wanted to endorse and that's quality ear tips. Many user reviews make it difficult to understand if an earbud is for you, sound-wise, or whether comfort is up to par. But a thing constantly omitted is getting the correct ear tip to not only fit and seal, but remain comfortable.

You won't know how bassy an in-ear headphone is unless you get a proper seal. You have two main types of ear tips: silicone or foam. Silicone will seal better than foam but it can also not remain in your ear if it gets wet and it can also muffle the sound if you fit it too deep. Foam can be more comfortable and stay in place under more conditions, but seldom to I find that low-end frequencies transmit better with Foam than Silicone.

So what's the solution? For it's do you want the best sound or the most comfort? If you want sound go with a quality pair of Silicone ear tips. I recommend SpinFits. If you're using TWS you'll want the 360 rated ones but I suggest seeking a compatibility chart to ensure they can fit your nozzel. For comfort I'd recommend Foam and either Comply or Dekoni. Again, you'll have to research compatibility with nozzel diameter size.

But improving your ear tips can VASTLY improve even a mediocre headset. Some simply by their form factor will always struggle to seal but you can still improve on comfort by upgrading past stock tips.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Elegias should be here today. Also ordered another pair of TWS headsets, the SiFi Bomaker 2. My wife's Votomys keep dropping the bluetooth so I gave her my FIILs. That's love right there folks. The FIILs are a badass pair of earbuds for 50 bucks. You get bass, detail, separation, and volume.

The Bomaker is suppose to be in the same category with a bit better IPX rating. They just released a second version so I figured fuck it, for the price of dining out I can have another headset.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
First impressions on the Focal Elegia:

I want to have sex with these headphones. But they won't have me. Aaaaahhhhhhh the French..

So these are typically $800 plus dollar headphones. The MSRP on the site where I bought them was $890 and I purchased them for 52% off. Why did I do this? Because for me, Focal has the sound signature that connects with me the most. It's clear but not sharp. There's bass and sub-bass but it doesn't overpower the sound. The mids are thick and the highs are full and carry. This all comes with one small, or huge, caveat depending on your capabilities. You need to tune the sound to get the most out of the hardware. Personally I believe this true for any audio but there are definitely schools of thought out there that are anti-EQ. That ain't me. Fuck those people. They're your ears, adjust the sound/tune to what you think sounds best.

Now what does this sort of money buy you? A rather pretty carrying purse. A little muted if I'm being honest but the strap appears to be leather. That's a bonus. It's rigid so while it'll protect the headphones, seems meant for checked luggage. Aluminum-magnesium components, including the brackets, extenders, cups, and drivers. High comfort, wide pads that cover your entire ear and a very comfy headband. I do like headphones with the additional comfort strap that help run interference between your head and the main band but I'm assuming the Focals lack them because it would mess with their overall aesthetic, which is pretty slick and definitely looks its cost.

So they're built like a tank, come with a lovely purse for all you Drake fans out there, look like 1k dollar headphone, and yet they come with a cable that is one of the worst wires I have in my collection. This includes the garrote wire that came with my BLONs. The cable could be used to reign a horse. It's stiffer than Noise at a Katy Perry concert. I think it's made of IKEA furniture left overs. It's unevenly pliable. I'm going to use it to be beat the next person that refuses to approach me without a mask.

Hopefully you get the idea.

The sound is Focal signature, slightly dynamic, and somewhere between open and closed back. The sound stage is more open than many closed backs I've heard but it's by no means an open-sounding headphone. The base tune for me is heavily mid-focused. I always recess the mids in my audio but to what degree depends on what device I'm using. For reference this is the EQ on my pc:

EQ.PNG

Perhaps not for everyone but this is what pleases my 90s brain. The EQ holds for Rap, Rock, Metal, Alt, and EDM. Probably doesn't do justice to Classical, Jazz, or Pop. For Classical I prefer my IEMs for the separation but the separation on these has me rethinking this. I might just have to whip up a custom tune for the Orchestral stuff I have.

My PC has a proper 3D audio sound card which supports Dolby 3D playback (not that you can notice it). That's just a posh way of saying I'm probably not going to invest in a DAC for my PC but I may consider an Amp. I'll see what makes sense, there's tons of fucking options there as well.

Personally I think closed back headphones are more practical in terms of usage than open-backs. I would agree that open-backs are going to sound better as you continue to scale. If only for staging. When you can hear the music you love like it's an encompassing swell that surrounds you at a healthy, uniform distance it literally transforms songs you've heard hundreds of times into something new. Like wearing out a CD then seeing the band live for the first time. It's just an entirely different experience in those acoustics.

I read a fair bit of negative commentary on the Elegia, specifically for the lack of bass. This comes back to people NOT TUNING their audio. I get it - you want to hear the music as it was "intended". And I stand by the assertion that this is fucking stupid. Your brain has specific tastes. It's why some people love sushi and some people fucking hate it. It's why we have favorite colors and why we have favorite movies, games, and music. Audio and visual stimuli is of course general input but everyone has a muthafucking preference.

So if you want more bass, you can definitely have it with these, whether it's sub or mid. Are they going to thump your chest? No. But headphones that can are also going to drown out the detail and clarity you'd otherwise experience in the other bandwidths. A driver is only going to be able to handle so much at a time. These kinds of mid-level headphones (oh yeah 800 bucks ain't shit in audio) are typically aiming for a balance between fidelity and casual enjoyment. It's why this have an impedance of 32 ohms making them driveable with a phone. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a dongle DAC but you can still do it.

In summation: I'm definitely a fan of Focal and I think these specific ones have broader utility than their 2,000 and 3,000 dollar open-back counterparts. Those may sound more grandiose but only in specific situations with additional equipment driving the headphones. I'm a huge fan of the sound and I plan to run them over the weekend on a burn-in video or program to see if alters the sound. Some people say burn-in is bullshit.. I have no opinion. We'll see.

The more money I spend the longer I post.

Last edited:

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I will never quite understand it probably. I’m the guy that’s just amazed at his AirPods.

I have however, spent 800 bucks on a pizza oven, so I too have a passion that lots of folks might roll their eyes at.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I will never quite understand it probably. I’m the guy that’s just amazed at his AirPods.

I have however, spent 800 bucks on a pizza oven, so I too have a passion that lots of folks might roll their eyes at.
It's all the same sort of thing. I love cooking too don't get me wrong, but I don't go so overboard with my kitchen paraphernalia. Oh you best believe I have some nice knives (which I sharpen by hand) and some expensive cookware.. but it's very much settled. Cooking is a very old school thing where I think I find that tech never really demonstrates to be as good as the more traditional methods.

But it's the same sort of "how deep does this go?" question. So you may not get in the realm of audio but you can still relate to it. I like putting this shit out there because I like the challenge of describing this gear. It makes sense to me and it was just last year I was WAAAAY on the outside looking in. Now I'm somewhere in-between with all this shit but the key is I can tell the difference from headphone to headphone and from source to source. And it's not necessarily better or worse so much as taste and preference.

So I finally get the wine people. I finally get the car people. Because I'm now one of the audio people. And it's all the same shit except I refuse to be snobbish about any of it.

A Tin T2 is something like 42 bucks? The Koss kph30i is 30 bucks? Between those two devices that pretty much covers every genre of music on pretty much any source. They both scale with equipment and scale with recordings. Do you need them to scale? Nope. MP3 on a budget Samsung will rock out.

For me there's dimensions to audio that I just feel in love with. I like the cheap stuff and god damn, like an Arab caravan trader I love a good deal. Hopefully this thread is educational because there's a crazy ass world of audio equipment out there and headphones have really never been more fashionable. I might be able to save you money or I might be able to nudge someone off the plank into the audio enthusiast community.

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
For the most part I’m inclined to agree. 90% of my cooking is in cast iron (man how I would love to get my hands on some older higher quality cast iron. I would like to say that I’m not a techie cooking guy, however that’s probably not entirely true. I’ve owned a sous vide machine, I own an instant pot, and this pizza oven (I have an outdoor propane fueled one as well).

you are generally correct in that tech does not outshine tradition and that ultimately skill and technique is what separates the good from the incredible.

I was very torn about this oven. On the one hand my preferences are for larger pizzas And this was no cheap investment. On the other hand though, it is far more efficient than using my home oven. My home oven can only hit over 600 degrees with the broiler kicked on and the oven door cracked to prevent the broiler from cycling down. It also has required a big chunk of steel living in my oven and required at least an hour of preheating to let the steel absorb as much heat as possible.

this little guy, while limiting me to smaller pizzas, will hit 750 degrees in 20 minutes and doesn’t heat up the whole house, which is way easier on the electric bill and makes my girlfriend easier to deal with (she may like pizza, but doesn’t quite buy in with the time involved with the home oven. She also doesn’t let the cast iron pan get hot before chucking food into it.). It’ll also allow me to control both the heat from the bottom and the heat from the top element. And finally, it holds its heat very well. After cooking a pizza in my home oven the steel would drop considerably in temperature and would need time to get back up to temp before cooking another pizza, but this oven so far does not seem to require much recovery and it’s temp pretty well holds stable. Quite a piece of engineering.

sorry for nerding out there. I am going to stop myself from derailing this thread further. But you nailed it in that now I better understand car people or train people.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I bought more shit.

1. Another Truly Wireless Headset. The Bomaker SiFi II. If that doesn't make sense when you read it then you read it correctly. My wife's Votomys were making her mad so I gave her my FiiLs. That's some unconditional love right there folks. The Bomaker's are a deep, boomy sound in a very comfortable form factor. They're under 50 bucks as well and I got them for 40. They're IPX 7, so waterproof, and are very comfortable to wear. They do come with some HORRENDOUS ear tips so I've been advising anyone who will listen to have supplemental ear tips ready. At first.. didn't love the sound. Sounded very narrow maybe? But after getting the right tips and the right seal I rather enjoy the deep sound signature. Not a headset for Mids. No mids to speak of which works for me. Also they do sound more digital/artificial at higher volume in quiet environments. If you were on a treadmill I don't think the average person would notice. The fit for my ears is the biggest reason I like them. I cannot hear shit when they're in even at moderate to low volume.

2. I bought an affordable DAC/Amp combo for my PC and it also should work with my 4k TV I use for my consoles. I went with the IFI Zen DAC for many reasons, most of which I'll omit for the sake of brevity (lulz), and I'll just say it fit my price to performance expectations. I have only thus far used it with the Elegias. And it is probably the greatest luxury in my office at this moment. I haven't tried the Zen DAC with my IEMs and honestly I'm afraid to because of how much power this little fucker has on Low Gain. It has optional power supply usage, claiming it can run perfectly fine off of USB. That may be true but no. You get your own power supply if it's available. They wanted 50 bucks for their "low noise" AC/DC adapter which was hilarious. That's more than a third of the price of the machine!? So I got a nice universal 5v adapter to pair with it. So far it is impressive. It won't change your life but it definitely turned my headphones from Robert Deniro in the Irishman to Robert Deniro in Raging Bull. Significant increase in energy and emotional conveyance.

I already found a way to EQ it too in just under an hour of using it. I'm apparently an Incel with a wife and a conscience.

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Loving the Zen DAC. I may get the FiiO K5 Pro as well at some point. Both are combination DACs with built in amps. I'm driving almost uniformly low impedance headphones so more power isn't really a requite.

The Zen DAC is a lovely desktop computer/laptop option. It'll work with a phone but you'll need a 5v power supply (not included) for the unit and you'll need an OTG cable for your phone. Not sure if it'll work with an iPhone, they have that weird as "camera adapter" that other dongle DACs use. That might work.

I'm using a laptop as my source and it's a USB to USB B connection from machine to DAC. The FiiO has more input options, 3 if I recall correctly but the iFi Zen DAC has a glorious chip. It's not a clinical DAC, it allows some distortion, some fuzziness but that's off set by the sound feeling T H I C C as fuck. The bass boost is just glorious. It's so rich and meaty and full and luscious. I want to DM it on Snapchat and ask its age while simultaneous "joking" about how crazy it would be to send me nudes.

5 star recommendation from me for sound and build. Not crazy about the lack of an included power supply and not crazy about having a single input but.. it's intended for what it is intended for and you to know that going in. Depending on what happens with the PS5 will determine if I invest in the K5 pro. I plan on fully transitioning to PC Gaming but FromSoft Exclusives would make it hard not to get that Barad-dur meets Apple store looking fucking thing.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Just throwing this out here because I'm a nice guy. Ask your mom.

On Amazon you can get the Sony WH-1000mx3, likely the best ANC cans on the market, for about a 100 dollars and some change less IF.. you buy the international version. This would mean no Warranty by Sony US. So if you want a discount at the cost of warranty here's the link:

www.amazon.com/WH-1000XM3-Wireless-canceling-Headset-International/dp/B07H2DBFQZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QIQ55OBXI0R6&dchild=1&keywords=sony%2Bwh-1000xm3&qid=1593574106&sprefix=sony%2Bwh%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3&th=1

IMO, not a bad deal if you need noise cancelling headphones that can pretty much do it all for music.

Poindexter

Staff member
Just throwing this out here because I'm a nice guy. Ask your mom.

On Amazon you can get the Sony WH-1000mx3, likely the best ANC cans on the market, for about a 100 dollars and some change less IF.. you buy the international version. This would mean no Warranty by Sony US. So if you want a discount at the cost of warranty here's the link:

www.amazon.com/WH-1000XM3-Wireless-canceling-Headset-International/dp/B07H2DBFQZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QIQ55OBXI0R6&dchild=1&keywords=sony%2Bwh-1000xm3&qid=1593574106&sprefix=sony%2Bwh%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3&th=1

IMO, not a bad deal if you need noise cancelling headphones that can pretty much do it all for music.
Thanks man. That is a deal. Plus you can add the protection plan. I've been dragging my feet on getting some because I actually want some over-the-ears and some workout bluetooth buds for exercise.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
I try to spot check when I can. Best I can tell the Sony is the best all around ANC headphone. Bose 700s are better if you specifically want the best microphones and the best ANC, but the sound is flat and the app apparently sucks. The bowers and wilkins px7s have some of the best sound clarity and staging, but the ANC isn't quite there and worse, having it on can affect the quality of the sound. The Sennheiser Momentum 3 have strong build quality, clear sound, and an app with a standalone EQ but the ANC is also not really anywhere on the level of Bose or Sony.

So when you lay it all out the Sonys have quality sound tuneable via their app. They have the LDAC Bluetooth codec (Sony proprietary) if you use android. They're light, comfortable, and foldable at the expense of an all plastic form factor. And they have ANC that rivals Bose with comfort that likely exceeds the 700s.

Oh I should also note that on Drop (formerly Mass Drop) you can get a pair of one of the p4p headphone champs, the Sennheiser HD6XXs: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Now ideally you'd want to pair these with a proper DAC and amp. I don't know if we have any DJs, musicians, or mixers on the board, or if any of you edit video, but these are universally praised for those activities. Again, you'll likely want additional equipment that can properly supply power to the sound being fed through them. They're also open backs meaning they're not insulating sound, they're for a nice quiet room or workspace.

Audiophiles love them for their detail retrieval. I personally think that shit is overrated but to each their own. However this is a GREAT DEAL if you are an audio or video (or both) editor. Dont' say I didn't share.

Last edited:

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Just want to bump these to anyone looking for high fidelity-esq listening straight from your phone and you don't really have to invest anything more than maybe a dongle if your phone doesn't have a headphone jack.

www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Earphones-Faceplate-Detachable-Audiophile/dp/B07WTTK1L6?th=1

For my money this has been my favorite IEM in terms of complete package and doing what you'd expect from an IEM. With an IEM you're going to get more volume than you would for a headphone, bluetooth or otherwise, because the increased sensitivity. What sets the Terminators apart for me is that they do everything B+/A- and no other IEM I've owned comes close that level of versatility. There are better IEMs, but you're going pay close to $200 for equivocal versatility.

For 60 bucks you get 6 drivers per earpiece. They pair 1 dynamic driver with 5 balanced armatures. What that nets you is sound/instrument separation and clarity, because you're not asking 1 driver to deliver a totality of the sound. Now it isn't always the case that more drivers = better performance or better sounding music, far from it. Many multi-driver/hyrbid IEMs are for reference not for music enjoyment and so they can reveal things about recordings that you probably don't want to hear. Some can be too detailed which distracts from the music as a whole or can simply be fatiguing to listen to.. like listening to podcast while watching a stream and playing a video game and trying to paying attention to all that shit.

For me, the Terminators are the sweet spot. They're clearly tuned for music. They have slightly elevated bass and treble but without sacrificing control, so you don't get bleeding sounds. And while the sound stage wouldn't be considered wide it's not overpoweringly close either.

If you're into metal or classical, these are you for you. If you're into hip-hop or electronica, these are for you. If you're into rhythm and blues or Jazz, these are for you. Latin, funk, soul, or country.. also for you.

If you're into oldies and folk.. sorry, hard Nope. But if you think all in-ear headphones suck or can't deliver incredible sound these will prove otherwise. Especially if you're unaccustomed to detail retrieval in music.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
Purchasing a pair of Marshall Major IIIs. The brown version is on sale for 75 bucks on Amazon. They're an on-ear Bluetooth headphone by the folks that make the stacks.

Poindexter

Staff member
Purchasing a pair of Marshall Major IIIs. The brown version is on sale for 75 bucks on Amazon. They're an on-ear Bluetooth headphone by the folks that make the stacks.
That’s a deal. Any experience with them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Battalion Five raise your hands. You are the all important first attack wave, code named: Operation Human Shield!
An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye.
If 2020 was a math problem: if you're going down river at 2MPH and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?
4-5 Playoff games a day <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom