George St-Pierre appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

George St-Pierre, is he the GOAT?

• Yes

• No

• Almost

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Georges St-Pierre proclaims he is ‘in great shape like never before’
“I’m feeling great physically, in great shape like never before,” St-Pierre said on La Sueur podcast (transcript via MMA Fighting). “[Ulcerative colitis] is very serious but I’ve fully recovered from it. I don’t need to take my medication anymore. . .

While Georges St-Pierre is once again in phenomenal health, he says he’s not particularly interested in making a return to the cage.

“I could [come back] but to tell the truth, it’s less and less tempting for me,” the Canadian legend said. “I did not think I would say that one day: I’m getting older. I don’t want to fight a young guy that hasn’t made it on the legacy side, that isn’t a name. I would have nothing to win. Every time we enter the octagon, it’s a risk. you could have a bad day. . . We are always a mistake away from the KO or a serious injury, so it’s always a risk and the risk must be worth it.

“I’m not interested in coming back, fighting a rising star, and destroying that guy. It give me nothing and I destroy the dream of a rising star. Both of us are losing then, we are just earning more money. If I come back, it’s not necessarily for more money but for legacy.”

All that being said, it sounds like a fight with UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov might be enough to coax Georges St-Pierre back to the cage.

“Khabib said that he would like to fight me before the McGregor fight,” he said. “It did not interest me at that time. He was not famous, he did not beat someone with a title or with a name. Now that he beat McGregor, it’s better.

“[But] I’m not the guy who calls out people,” he added. “It’s not my personality. I know people are talking about that fight; however, I know the UFC would not be interested in that fight at 155 [pounds]. They know that I’m at the end of my career. I have not many fights left. I will come back for maybe 1, 2, 3 fights. Maybe zero. Maybe I will not come back and I’m okay with that.

At the end of the day, however, it doesn’t sound like Georges St-Pierre is willing to risk the legacy he’s built with another dangerous fight in the Octagon.

“When I set goals I said that I didn’t want to be pushed out of the sport,” he explained. “I wanted to retire on my own terms and on top. If I do that now, I would have accomplished my mission.

“However, the competitor inside me is still here, so when I see the young guys getting ready for a fight after a workout, with me feeling good and strong, it makes me want to come back. That’s where it’s the most difficult for me. I want to go back there. I feel fit, at my top. I feel better than when I was 25. But when I’m with my family and all, that’s less tempting. When I wake up in the morning, I’m asking myself: ‘Do you really want to go back in that circus?’”

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Georges St-Pierre says he is ‘fully recovered’ from health issues, but unsure if he will ever fight again

Earlier this week, Georges St-Pierre was discussing why a comeback fight against Anderson Silvadidn’t make sense for him. Now it sounds like a comeback in general isn’t something he’s terribly interested in.

Speaking with the La Sueur podcast, St-Pierre revealed that though he is fully recovered from the health issues that caused him to vacate his middleweight title, the former champion is not sure if he will ever come back to fighting.

“I’m feeling great physically, in great shape like never before,” St-Pierre said. “[Ulcerative colitis] is very serious but I’ve fully recovered from it. I don’t need to take my medication anymore. . .

“I could [come back] but to tell the truth, it’s less and less tempting for me. I did not think I would say that one day: I’m getting older. I don’t want to fight a young guy that hasn’t made it on the legacy side, that isn’t a name. I would have nothing to win. Every time we enter the octagon, it’s a risk. you could have a bad day. . . We are always a mistake away from the KO or a serious injury., so it’s always a risk and the risk must be worth it.

“I’m not interested in coming back, fighting a rising star, and destroying that guy. It give me nothing and I destroy the dream of a rising star. Both of us are losing then, we are just earning more money. If I come back, it’s not necessarily for more money but for legacy.”

The problem is finding an opponent who presents enough reward to justify coming back, and that is a narrow window to hit. Young contenders do not have the name recognition and fighters with that name recognition are largely past their primes. There is one name that has been floated as an opponent who fit the bill, and after his most recent performance, St-Pierre admits it could do the trick, if the UFC would allow it to happen.

“Khabib said that he would like to fight me before the McGregor fight,” St-Pierre said. “It did not interest me at that time. He was not famous, he did not beat someone with a title or with a name. Now that he beat McGregor, it’s better.

“[But] I’m not the guy who calls out people. It’s not my personality. I know people are talking about that fight; however, I know the UFC would not be interested in that fight at 155 [pounds]. They know that I’m at the end of my career. I have not many fights left. I will come back for maybe 1, 2, 3 fights. Maybe zero. Maybe I will not come back and I’m okay with that.”

If he does retire, St-Pierre’s legacy is as good as any in the sport. One of only a handful of men to ever win titles in multiple weight classes in the UFC, St-Pierre is widely considered to be one of, if not the greatest of all-time. With a 26-2 record in one of the best divisions in the sport, it’s hard to argue the point. At 37 years old, another comeback risks tarnishing that sterling resume, and at the moment, it doesn’t seem like GSP thinks it’s worth it, even if sometimes he wants to anyway.

“When I set goals I said that I didn’t want to be pushed out of the sport,” St-Pierre concluded. “I wanted to retire on my own terms and on top. If I do that now, I would have accomplished my mission.

“However, the competitor inside me is still here, so when I see the young guys getting ready for a fight after a workout, with me feeling good and strong, it makes me want to come back. That’s where it’s the most difficult for me. I want to go back there. I feel fit, at my top. I feel better than when I was 25. But when I’m with my family and all, that’s less tempting. When I wake up in the morning, I’m asking myself: ‘Do you really want to go back in that circus?’”

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Freddie Roach says Georges St-Pierre fights one last time, wants it to be against Conor McGregor

Two-division world champion Georges St-Pierre has not seen action since UFC 217, when he won the middleweight title against Michael Bisping. But with the lingering uncertainty regarding his immediate future, his boxing coach Freddie Roach spoke on his behalf.

“I think one more. Just one,” Roach told Brendan Schaub at the Below the Belt podcast when asked if he thinks St-Pierre fights again.

And when asked whom he thinks the next opponent should be, Roach had an immediate answer.

“The Irish boy. He’s got a big mouth,” he said.

Schaub brought up the possibility of having the fight take place at 155-pounds, which Roach says would be perfectly fine.

“We’ll make the weight. Georges is on a new diet; it’s doing really great,” he said.

“We wanted to prove that we could go up in the higher weight division, and we did that. Then Dana got mad that we dropped that title.”

Roach, however, also stated that they are chasing for a third world title, which aligns with current champion Khabib Nurmagomedov’s next plans before retirement.

“We want to go the lower weight now and be a three-time world champion, three weight divisions.”

If St-Pierre and his team are indeed final with these plans, they will have to wait until April whenMcGregor’s suspension for the UFC 229 brawl lapses. From their end, team McGregor is looking at a fight against Donald Cerrone upon Conor’s return.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor
No interest. His career is over and done with. Unless he wants to fight Woodley and go out on his shield.

thumper

Staff member
No interest. His career is over and done with. Unless he wants to fight Woodley and go out on his shield.
yeah GSP is still my fav but I think he should have stayed retired. I don't think beating bisping added to his legacy. I really don't. especially the way WME is handling their titles.

GSP will be remembered as taking BJs soul, and being unbeatable for many years.

But you gotta admit, the hype for GSP vs Conor would be incredible. GSP vs Khabib would be the best fight to see though

chuckthechamp

#NinerEmpire
yeah GSP is still my fav but I think he should have stayed retired. I don't think beating bisping added to his legacy. I really don't. especially the way WME is handling their titles.

GSP will be remembered as taking BJs soul, and being unbeatable for many years.

But you gotta admit, the hype for GSP vs Conor would be incredible. GSP vs Khabib would be the best fight to see though
If GSP would have came in and beat Bisping by decision, id be a bit more inclined to agree that the MW title would be just another notch on the belt..but the way he won, getting beat up and coming back to finish the larger man.. it was freaking awesome to me!

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1549034769,1548994853][/DOUBLEPOST]GSP v Khabib: Georges St-Pierre reveals attempts to book UFC fight with Nurmagomedov
"It's been a few months that my agents are in communication with the UFC to try to make a fight happen," he explained.

"It was against Khabib Nurmagomedov.

"I know Khabib wanted to fight me and I wanted to fight him. It's not about feeling, it's just about respect, and for me as an athlete, what drives me the most - what is the most exciting for an athlete in combat sports - is to be able to beat someone who seems invincible.

"That's the scariest thing to do, but it's also the most exciting thing to do [and] at the point that I am at in my career, to keep my motivation high, that's what I'm targeting."
"Khabib, for me, right now he is the best fighter in the world. He's undefeated," he said.

"When you see him fight, he's incredible. He wins every round. Nobody has ever even found a weakness in him. So he's a real good problem to solve.

"For me, as a fighter, that's the most exciting thing."
"UFC is a business at the other end, and they know I'm 37 years old and I'm at the end of my career," he said.

"Khabib is younger, he has a lot of fights ahead of him, and he provides a great future for the UFC.

"I'm sure for the UFC from a business standpoint they want to keep him there [at the top] and I understand, you know? Instead of taking a risk and putting him against a guy like me.

"I do my best for my interest, and they do what is the best for their interests, and that's where it is right now."

St-Pierre's willingness to face Nurmagomedov echoes his views as told to RT Sport two years ago, when he said a potential matchup between the pair would be "crazy".

"The way my body is made, I could make 155," he told us in 2017.

"It would be a tough cut, because I normally walk around at 188lbs. I know a lot of guys, and I think Khabib is about the same size as me, or maybe even bigger than me."

While St-Pierre revealed his team's pursuit of a bout with Nurmagomedov, another member of his camp, boxing coach Freddie Roach, said the Canadian was training hard in preparation for a fight with a different opponent - Conor McGregor.

"I think one more [fight]. Just one," Roach told the Below the Belt podcast.

"The Irish boy. He's got a big mouth. We'll make the weight. Georges is on a new diet. It's doing really great."

Roach said that after St-Pierre moved up from welterweight to middleweight to win the title, the aim now is to drop from welterweight to lightweight and win in that weight class, too.

"We wanted to prove that we could go up in the higher weight division, and we did that," he said.

"Then Dana got mad that we dropped that title. We want to go the lower weight now and be a three-time world champion, three weight divisions."
[DOUBLEPOST=1549034946][/DOUBLEPOST]

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
I wonder what the unfortunate set of circumstances were? Aliens probably.
[DOUBLEPOST=1549035647,1549035264][/DOUBLEPOST]
Georges St-Pierre auctions UFC belt for $55,000, ends up in national history museum

Georges St-Pierre has parted with one of his many UFC championship belts, but not without cashing a hefty check. The Canadian Museum of History revealed on Thursday they had acquired St-Pierre’s title strap from UFC 94: St-Pierre vs. Penn 2.

Thursday’s unveiling coincides with the ten-year anniversary of the fight GSP won by fourth round TKO via doctor stoppage. The belt was purchased in an auction along with a pair of shorts and autographed fight gloves. The package was purchased for $55,527, according to Global News.

The consignor, who is described as “one of St-Pierre’s first sponsors” and the owner of a gym GSP trained at before becoming champion, delivered the belt to the museum. “It is a great honor to have it on public display,” the Canadian pound-for-pound great said in a statement. That optimism follows “an unfortunate set of circumstances” that almost led to the belt being lost.

GSP’s prized possession will be on public display starting Friday in the lobby of the Gatineau, Quebec museum. Following the weekend, it will become part of the museum's collection.

Unlike the newly-unveiled UFC championship belt rewarded to Henry Cejudo, champions of old were presented with brand new gold belts for every successful title defense. Chances are GSP will hardly notice one of his 13 UFC championships missing.

Qball1974

Tired
Site Donor
"Unlike the newly-unveiled UFC championship belt rewarded to Henry Cejudo, champions of old were presented with brand new gold belts for every successful title defense."

Cost savings, gotta keep every penny ya can.

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
"It would be a tough cut, because I normally walk around at 188lbs.

Didn't GSP claim he severely damaged his body trying to get up to 185lbs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest profile posts

So, who is going to vote for Kanye? :>
Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties