Four Minneapolis officers are fired after video shows one kneeling on neck of black man who later died

chrisc

Ninja
It's not about going easy on white folks, it's about going much harder on people of color. It's about treating a black man as a threat before that potential threat has even presented itself, whereas men proven to be violent aren't treated that way.

Maybe some people are saying they should be equally rough with the white gunmen. I'm not. I just don't think that every black man should be treated as a potential murder victim from the jump.
I absolutely agree with this. But we’re talking about a case in which someone shot two police officers. Saying they would be tougher on people of color is saying they went easier on him than a person of color because he was white. I have an extremely hard time believing the police in this instance cared at all about the person’s color. At the end of the day, he shot two of their own, people they served with and know.
Post automatically merged:

Huh? He's not reaching at all
So you believe police cared if this guy was white or black after he shot two of their own?

Poindexter

Staff member
But reading through posts it seems the outrage is the white guy with the gun wasn’t killed in.
I don't want to see more people die at the hands of police, white or black, especially given the pervasive lack of accountability. That said, kill whitey!

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
I absolutely agree with this. But we’re talking about a case in which someone shot two police officers. Saying they would be tougher on people of color is saying they went easier on him than a person of color because he was white. I have an extremely hard time believing the police in this instance cared at all about the person’s color. At the end of the day, he shot two of their own, people they served with and know.

So you believe police cared if this guy was white or black after he shot two of their own?
I believe unintended bias absolutely plays a roll regarding policing and race.

I think it's more complicated than he took it easier on him because he's white, however, I do believe that is an overly simplified version of the argument.

chrisc

Ninja

I think it's more complicated than he took it easier on him because he's white, however, I do believe that is an overly simplified version of the argument.
I absolutely agree with, generally. But I don’t think you can apply generalizations to every situation. I don’t see them policing someone differently based on race who just shot two cops killing one.

Ninjastix

The Fat Mamba
Site Donor

I disagree to an extent. I think "unintended" or "unconscious" bias is overinflated. I think it's conscious bias.

I've posted this many, many times before. What gets black Americans killed is the racial stereotype associated with black men. They are perceived by EVERYONE in the country as being more dangerous, more violent, less compassionate, less intelligent, and less capable or professional than men of any other race.

Is there latent racism in America? Yes. But it's second to ACTIVE racism. INTENTIONAL racism. These are the primary causes of continually promoting and enshrining this particular stereotype.

In others words, we do work, 'we' meaning all of us, to keep fostering this, and other, stereotypes. When it concerns police it can be deadly. When it concerns prison it can be deadly. When it concerns healthcare it can be deadly. When it concerns community it can be deadly.

Before we address the unconscious bias we have to confront the active, fully conscious racist ideologies we ascribe to. Not just white people. Not just men. Everyone.

Last edited:

SickNasty

Now that's a tasty burger.
I absolutely agree with, generally. But I don’t think you can apply generalizations to every situation. I don’t see them policing someone differently based on race who just shot two cops killing one.
I can't comment on that specific situation, my commentary is really on policing in general. I think it's reasonable to state that there is a problem with race when it comes to policing - irrespective of the race of the police officers in general - and it reflects in a wide variety of situations throughout the institution of policing.

When it boils down to the individual police officers - I can't even wager a guess as to their biases. So many things come into play.

I disagree to an extent. I think "unintended" or "unconscious" bias is overinflated. I think it's conscious bias.

I've posted this many, many times before. What gets black Americans killed is the racial stereotype associated with black men. They are perceived by EVERYONE in the country as being more dangerous, more violent, less compassionate, less intelligent, and less capable or professional than men of any other race.

Is there latent racism in America? Yes. But it's second to ACTIVE racism. INTENTIONAL racism. These are the primary causes of continually promoting and enshrining this particular stereotype.

In others words, we do work, 'we' meaning all of us, to keep fostering this, and other, stereotypes. When it concerns police it can be deadly. When it concerns prison it can be deadly. When it concerns healthcare it can be deadly. When it concerns community it can be deadly.

Before we address the unconscious bias we have to confront the active, fully conscious racist ideologies we ascribe to. Not just white people. Not just men. Everyone.
I 100% believe that there are instances of abject individual prejudices held by individual police officers that guide their decisions, and should be handled accordingly.

I would be weary contributing how African Americans are portrayed/viewed as a view held by "EVERYONE", however, systemically, that viewpoint seems to be the default of police departments.

Your viewpoint on latent vs intentional racism seems to be valid on a national scale in the US, I would add that now, more than in the past, it's cloaked in "patriotism" and "Freedom of speech/back the blue" type people.

I think a study on latent / active racism and verifiable effects would be a fascinating read.

Attacking overt active biases as a focus over latent biases should be key, so I agree with ya there.

Nebraska

Poindexter For President
Site Donor
NFL S.P. Champion
Was it ever reported if the cops were given the wrong address or if they fucked up and went to the wrong address?
It’s not that the address was “wrong.” It’s that they used unverified information to include her apartment in their request for the warrant. This is only compounded by the fact that not only were no drugs or money found in the apartment, but neither her nor her boyfriend were charged in connection with the sting.

chrisc

Ninja
It’s not that the address was “wrong.” It’s that they used unverified information to include her apartment in their request for the warrant. This is only compounded by the fact that not only were no drugs or money found in the apartment, but neither her nor her boyfriend were charged in connection with the sting.
I guess what my issues is, were the officers serving the warrant the ones who used unverified information? If the officers who shot her were simply carrying out a warrant, I don’t understand how they could be blamed. Wouldn’t it be whoever fucked up the warrant?

If officer A carried out a warrant he is given, someone fires upon him, he fires back, and later it turns out the information on the warrant is wrong, is he really to blame?

Nebraska

Poindexter For President
Site Donor
NFL S.P. Champion
I guess what my issues is, were the officers serving the warrant the ones who used unverified information? If the officers who shot her were simply carrying out a warrant, I don’t understand how they could be blamed. Wouldn’t it be whoever fucked up the warrant?

If officer A carried out a warrant he is given, someone fires upon him, he fires back, and later it turns out the information on the warrant is wrong, is he really to blame?
According to her boyfriend’s attorney, they fired 40-45 shots after getting shot at once. The veracity of the warrant is a courtroom detail that is separate from the actions that resulted in Breonna Taylor’s death. The warrant did not order them to treat the area like an active combat zone.

chrisc

Ninja
According to her boyfriend’s attorney, they fired 40-45 shots after getting shot at once. The veracity of the warrant is a courtroom detail that is separate from the actions that resulted in Breonna Taylor’s death. The warrant did not order them to treat the area like an active combat zone.
I was going to argue I believe whoever was responsible for the warrant is more to blame. But it looks like it was multiple warrants. Including her apartment.

Yeah fuck it then. I’m curious what comes out of the case (if it’s multiple cops to blame, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Somedays all of the beautiful things in my life break my heart.
I'll sleep when I wake up.
LebenTysonTank wrote on Miz's profile.
Any idea how I can upload an mp4 video? I recently knocked out this 250 pound face tattooed mexican gangbanger in front of my house,and one of the neighbors recorded it.
"I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom